Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:35 pm 

Checking what Delain was up to, I was surprised to see that a new album was about to come out. I haven't been in the loop for a couple of years (never even got to listen to the Hunter's Moon EP).

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... ill/811439
https://delain.bandcamp.com/

1. One Second
2. We Had Everything
3. Chemical Redemption
4. Burning Bridges
5. Vengeance
6. To Live Is To Die
7. Let's Dance
8. Creatures
9. Ghost House Heart
10. Masters Of Destiny
11. Legions Of The Lost
12. The Greatest Escape
13. Combustion

So seeing the new band photo and the new album cover + title, I went, "oh uh". Apocalypse & Chill? Really? And what bad cover art. This looks like it's gonna be a really, really awful turn.

Then I heard the single "One Second" and I was actually taken aback at how awesome it was. Expecting something crappy, I was actually thrilled to hear they haven't lost their touch whatsoever. Poppy, catchy, crunchy Delain at their best. Time to come out the woods for this. I've listened to it like 9 times in a row now. Moonbathers to me was not up to par with Human Contradiction or April Rain (my two favorites) so I was a little apprehensive. "Ghost House Heart" sounded ok but skippable I guess? I only heard it once. "Burning Bridges" was alright. Standard Delain, which is a good thing, just not "One Second" levels of amazing. "Masters of Destiny" was goodness - Charlotte's soaring voice, man.

I know there are big Delain fans on this board.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:48 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Then I heard the single "One Second" and I was actually taken aback at how awesome it was. Expecting something crappy, I was actually thrilled to hear they haven't lost their touch whatsoever. Poppy, catchy, crunchy Delain at their best. Time to come out the woods for this. I've listened to it like 9 times in a row now. Moonbathers to me was not up to par with Human Contradiction or April Rain (my two favorites) so I was a little apprehensive. "Ghost House Heart" sounded ok but skippable I guess? I only heard it once. "Burning Bridges" was alright. Standard Delain, which is a good thing, just not "One Second" levels of amazing. "Masters of Destiny" was more greatness - Charlotte's soaring voice, man.

I started with 'We are the others' and then bought their discography in a random order - I'm too really appreciating the new material. 'Masters of Destiny and 'One Second' I'm really enjoying, and 'Hunter's Moon' off the EP is one of those horrid ear-worms that Delain are irritatingly good at. If you can grab the EP with the blu-ray it's a great little package ahead of the new album !

The video for 'Masters of Destiny' is one Liv Kristine away from being a total Napalm Records stereotype of a thing, though. I could live without that :lol:

Bloodstone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 am 

I'm into the cover and title myself. It's dumb but fun and I like the cheap collage thing going on. This style of metal tends to have pretty boring and conformist art, so I especially appreciate the break from that. Delain are always a really fun pop time, will be checking this one out for sure.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:21 am 

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:07 pm 

I'm kinda bummed Merel Bechtold didn't stick around for this one.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:34 am 

I quite liked the debut album but I havn't really kept track of what the band has been doing since then. That being said I love the new songs and the artwork is fucking awesome. I used to be super into Within Temptation but they really started sucking after The Unforgiving (which is pretty damn good actually).

Listening to the singles released from Apocalypse & Chill (great and unusual title) I think it's safe to say that Delain have dethroned Within Temptation within their genre. It's not surprising though since Within Temptation released their best album (Mother Earth) when Martijn Westerholt was still in the band.

Which album from Delain do you guys think I should check out first outside of the debut?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:09 pm 

Methuen wrote:
The video for 'Masters of Destiny' is one Liv Kristine away from being a total Napalm Records stereotype of a thing, though. I could live without that :lol:

Ha, Charlotte changing her appearance made me >?< (when I first saw their new band picture I was scared in thinking they changed vocalists). Preferred her natural look. Napalm definitely have this female fronted metal thing as their go-to.

Oddeye wrote:
Which album from Delain do you guys think I should check out first outside of the debut?

April Rain made me a fan. I'd still call it the best the band's ever done. Human Contradiction would be behind it by a few points. Both of those are extremely good.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:20 pm 

That is such a godawful album title, but at the same time, I've loved every single for this album so far. I feel like this new album might be a step above "Moonbathers", though I did quite like that one. I loved the "Hunter's Moon" EP, every song on that one was a banger - really dig the live blu-ray that comes with it too! I got into them shortly after getting tickets to that Nightwish tour that happened in 2015. I'd heard a few of their songs here and there previous to this, but I never gave them a proper shot. I listened to "The Human Contradiction" and became hooked almost immediately - that one's still my favorite Delain album. Just a perfect piece of pop-driven symphonic metal.

Also, I only got to see them play 3-4 songs at that show. The line was incredibly fucking long and they'd already started by the time I got inside the venue. They were quite good though and I enjoyed the part of their set I got to see, at least.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:26 pm 

Delain isn't my thing, but I kinda like the title and cover. Like Bloodstone said, in this genre of metal, you usually know what to expect from an album cover, this... this is different.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:48 am 

The title is silly, but I also agree with Bloodstone; it's better than some weird shit in Latin or some kind of ultra-pretentious "grim" title that means nothing. The cover is cool, too.

"Masters of Destiny" is a killer tune, one of their more epic ones like "Tell Me Mechanist," and "One Second" is an ear-worm. Should be a fun album.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 pm 

The idea of the cover has been done to death before tbh (kitsch image + total destruction in the back). At this point it's not really that different from weird shit in latin.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:44 pm 

So I just heard the album and it's quite good. It'll take a few more listens to get into it, as the flow feels different. You got the very poppy stuff, you get the outright power metal stuff, you got an instrumental finale that might be the heaviest thing they've ever done (in an Epica way, but if it veered off into being a djent / progressive death song I wouldn't have been surprised), and then you have the band leaning into subtle passages on some while going overt on others. So the album has ups and downs, but not in a bad way. It's like it reminds me of all their albums, even going back to Lucidity where the music and Charlotte's vocals were far more gothic-inclined than its been since April Rain.

One thing is that these solos are incredibly catchy. When Timo first joined the band they put out We Are The Others and Timo looked and felt like a rock guy trying to be a heavy metal guy. Of course with the next album (and the one after that, and now this one), he's a power / heavy metal guy that's always been a power / heavy metal guy. His leads and especially solos on this are so invigorating.

Not to say the album doesn't have some choruses that could have been better written ("Burning Bridges", "Let's Dance") or songs in general that aren't as good as others.

Summary:

First half and final two songs: Bangin'
Middle-to-second-half (7-11): Inconsistent

I need to listen more, so who knows.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 pm 

Welp, after listening to the whole thing, I'm going to be honest and say I enjoy the vast majority of these songs. This doesn't quite beat "The Human Contradiction" for me, but it's a little better than "Moonbathers". I enjoyed the more poppy electronic moments and think they succeeded at writing some pretty damn catchy hooks. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear Yannis from Beast in Black show up on "Vengeance" and that's probably one of my favorites on the album at the moment. I'm also still quite partial to "Masters of Destiny", I honestly think it's one of their best songs (and it's easily their best music video). The only track I had a bit of trouble getting into was probably "Legions of the Lost", but it's grown on me now.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:46 am 

Is "Apocalypse & Chill" the new "Carpe DiEnd" when it comes to cringeworthy titles?

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:58 am 

tahu157 wrote:
I'm kinda bummed Merel Bechtold didn't stick around for this one.

I was completely unaware that she had quit the band when I saw them last year. To say I was disappointed was quite an understatement.

And yes, “Apocalypse & Chill” is, in fact, the worst album name of 2020. We are barely a month in and nothing will beat that. Songs are great, as is tradition for Delain, but that name and album cover is gonna turn off so many people without them even hearing any bit of music.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:04 am 

I misread this thread title as "Deicide".

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:10 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Welp, after listening to the whole thing, I'm going to be honest and say I enjoy the vast majority of these songs. This doesn't quite beat "The Human Contradiction" for me, but it's a little better than "Moonbathers". I enjoyed the more poppy electronic moments and think they succeeded at writing some pretty damn catchy hooks. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear Yannis from Beast in Black show up on "Vengeance" and that's probably one of my favorites on the album at the moment. I'm also still quite partial to "Masters of Destiny", I honestly think it's one of their best songs (and it's easily their best music video). The only track I had a bit of trouble getting into was probably "Legions of the Lost", but it's grown on me now.

I'd agree that the only one that's giving me any trouble is 'Legions of the Lost'. Plus, finally got to see them live last night; they're obviously so proud of this record, and the crowd were really into the new songs in the set (below); so long as people get to hear the music, and don't get their snob on too much about the the title / cover, it should be a good period for Delain :D

They even broke out 'Combustion' (the instrumental) from the album - great to see Delain sounding so heavy, and it sounding & looking so natural live :D

Apocalypse & Chill songs in the live set:

We Had Everything
Burning Bridges
Combustion
Creatures
Ghost House Heart
Let's Dance
Masters of Destiny
One Second

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:34 pm 

I've listened to this a couple of times and it's pretty fun. Every song on the first half is super catchy, but the fatigue starts to set in towards the second half (and this is without the instrumentals; I didn't rip them from my CD). I actually didn't like Moonbathers at all the first few times I heard it, and now I love it, so I'm sure this one gets better with time too.

Also, I thought the guitar work on this album is significantly better than Moonbathers. I don't remember there being many solos on that record, but this one has tons of shreddy stuff. It really balances out the lack of riffs in Delain's music.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:40 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
I've listened to this a couple of times and it's pretty fun. Every song on the first half is super catchy, but the fatigue starts to set in towards the second half (and this is without the instrumentals; I didn't rip them from my CD). I actually didn't like Moonbathers at all the first few times I heard it, and now I love it, so I'm sure this one gets better with time too.

Also, I thought the guitar work on this album is significantly better than Moonbathers. I don't remember there being many solos on that record, but this one has tons of shreddy stuff. It really balances out the lack of riffs in Delain's music.

I disagree with the fatigue, but agree with you otherwise - the guitar work is a great improvement, and the songs are catchier than a catchy thing. I'm probably still a bit frazzled from their live performance, but I'm looking at this as their best song-wise since We Are The Others - less of the half-arsed guest spots, less of the moody goth-kid stuff on Moonbathers, and lots more actual decent songs.

Fun is the right word to use - they're not trying to be Epica or Nightwish, they're writing songs that you can sing along to in the car. Metal needs a lot more of that these days !

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:07 pm 

Not really blowing me away - there don't seem to really be many killer hooks and choruses this time, but the writing is solid and all of it has seemed pleasant so far. Workmanlike if nothing else.

Yeah it's not bad, but didn't really light me on fire either. Maybe it'll hit me different another time. Just can't stack up to some of their old stuff anyway.

Reply to topic