Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:46 pm 

I don't like goregrind very much, but Gut's Odour of Torture is pretty fun. Simple punk grind, kinda like what might happen if Aus-Rotten tuned down really low and had a dirty sense of humor.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:55 pm 

last_eulogy wrote:
I absolutely can't fucking stand the band Limp Bizkit. Can't even stand look at the douche nozzle singers face. That being said I really like the song Re-arranged quite a bit. I've for a split second I've tried to listen other music by them, because I always try to remain open minded when it comes to music. What a pile of shit the majority of their music is.

Also a killer bass intro on that tune, and I especially like the drum outro. Otto is a really underrated drummer with an amazing sense of pocket. "Just Like This" is another where you can just listen to him play, hear the crisp sound of his kit, all of the ghost notes and the crack of the snare and everything is just perfect. 90% of the problem with them was Durst, who is admittedly one of the worst frontmen of all time.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
None So Vile for sure. i've yet to find a BDM album with the morbidity and creativity of this one: the riffs are as heavy as catchy, the drumming maniacal and the random slaps / pops of the bass add a lot to the demented atmosphere. Even the neoclassical solos have something creepy about them, in their little imprecisions...
that album really sounds like something that came out from an horror movie

most of BDM i've encountered fails to be as dark, instead opting more for a more sterile, technical sound. I've heard so many bands use the pattern of "chuggy, complex riff followed immediately by diminished lick" that it has become really boring to me

I'm with you on this one. I was listening to NSV this morning, trying to peg why it's such a great exception to my general distaste for hyper-technical brutal DM, and this is what I realized:

Every song on None So Vile establishes a strong theme very early on. The theme can be a riff, melody, rythm, or tone. That theme then acts as a buoy to cling to, at the center of the subsequent storm of swirling jagged chaos. They explore that theme, developing it until it segues into another theme, which creates another buoy for the listener. This is repeated a few times, creating a short linear structure, before the coming full circle. Kind of like shading on a color spectrum, going from color to color until coming back to the original color. I think this is just good songwriting, regardless of genre. And the fact that the songwriting technique is backed up by such amazing music (or vice-versa) and production makes it a classic album.
Contrast that to most techy brutal DM from nowadays, which is just a bunch of scattered and loosely or completely unrelated fragments almost arbitrarily smashed together into a desired song length, and it's easy to see why I enjoy the former and can't stand most of the latter.

A couple of other bands that do the brutal techy thing exceptionally well: Suffocation (obviously) and a little known band from the American Mid-West called Harakiri. Their Twilight of the Idols album is an unsung genre classic.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

Denpafighter978VGCP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:24 pm 

Extreme metal, other than Melodeath & some thrash or black metal... i rarely listen too. but one album I really like is "The Force of the Ancient Land" by Eldamar

Eldamar's stuff is long, but at the same time it is beautiful... atmospheric and it feels really good to listen to in winter

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:33 pm 

White Pony by Deftones is one of the few nu-metal records I can listen to regularly (if you can even call it nu-metal). A diamond in the rough for sure.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:18 am 

I used to be into some basic nu-metal/"industrial" metal stuff when I first got into heavy music, but when bands like Slipknot, Linkin Park, Korn and Rammstein kinda fell off my radar, Static-X remains in steady rotation in my listening lineup. Mostly the first three albums though. I don't know, it's not like they're that different from the other bands, but there's something about Static-X that I keep coming back to. Same with Deftones, really.

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:40 am 

Not a power metal guy but for some reason I really enjoy Falconer's "Of Beggars and Thieves".

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:31 am 

Kronos' Colossal Titan Strife is a big favourite, even if I'm not really into brutal death metal. I guess I'm cheating a bit, considering how melodic it is for the style, but it's just. So. Good. So catchy, so brutal.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:56 am 

I'm not as grumpy about metalcore as I used to be but Trivium's Shogun is the one album in the genre that I earnestly love.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 am 

eViLbOrIs wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:
None So Vile for sure. i've yet to find a BDM album with the morbidity and creativity of this one: the riffs are as heavy as catchy, the drumming maniacal and the random slaps / pops of the bass add a lot to the demented atmosphere. Even the neoclassical solos have something creepy about them, in their little imprecisions...

most of BDM i've encountered fails to be as dark, instead opting more for a more sterile, technical sound. I've heard so many bands use the pattern of "chuggy, complex riff followed immediately by diminished lick" that it has become really boring to me

I'm with you on this one. I was listening to NSV this morning, trying to peg why it's such a great exception to my general distaste for hyper-technical brutal DM, and this is what I realized:

Every song on None So Vile establishes a strong theme very early on. The theme can be a riff, melody, rythm, or tone. That theme then acts as a buoy to cling to, at the center of the subsequent storm of swirling jagged chaos. They explore that theme, developing it until it segues into another theme, which creates another buoy for the listener. This is repeated a few times, creating a short linear structure, before the coming full circle. Kind of like shading on a color spectrum, going from color to color until coming back to the original color. I think this is just good songwriting, regardless of genre. And the fact that the songwriting technique is backed up by such amazing music (or vice-versa) and production makes it a classic album.
Contrast that to most techy brutal DM from nowadays, which is just a bunch of scattered and loosely or completely unrelated fragments almost arbitrarily smashed together into a desired song length, and it's easy to see why I enjoy the former and can't stand most of the latter.

A couple of other bands that do the brutal techy thing exceptionally well: Suffocation (obviously) and a little known band from the American Mid-West called Harakiri. Their Twilight of the Idols album is an unsung genre classic.

That's an interesting analysis! I've listened few songs from NSV this morning and i can feel what you are saying. I also think this use of themes is more pronounced on NSV than in the first album, which probably explains why i love it so much more than its predecessor.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:59 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm not as grumpy about metalcore as I used to be but Trivium's Shogun is the one album in the genre that I earnestly love.

Glad to see your opinion hasn't changed much since five months ago :p

I missed this thread the first time around, but the first thing that pops into my head is USPM. That seems weird since I love 80s speed metal and europower but for whatever reason I really don't find myself bothering with USPM classics all that much, even if I think the scene is good on the whole, it just doesn't engage me enough to want to listen to it over whatever else I'm primarily into at the time (which isn't as dramatic as "I hate this genre, but..." but that's the thread title so I'm running with it). However, the one album I can throw on at any time and enjoy it as much as I did when I first heard it as a teenager is Jag Panzer's Ample Destruction. It's kind of a stretch since I tend to view it as just a damn great trad metal album, but I've seen it put in with the USPM scene and the overlap in fans between that album and the Helstars of the world is pretty significant so I'm gonna count it.

I suppose a better answer would be that I don't like prog metal in pretty much any of the flavors it comes in, but even I can't deny that Dream Theater's Images and Words is a god damned masterpiece. I like Train of Thought too but that's likely because it's the big stupid one that fans don't seem to like very much, but the rest of their discography bores me to tears. IaW, for whatever reason, absolutely works for me and I really wish the rest of their discography (and the scene as a whole) hit me the same way that album does.

The truest answer for me though isn't metal, but I'm gonna throw it in anyway because it's so absurd. The Mechanical Hand by HORSE the Band has been my unironic #1 favorite album for literally half my life at this point, but the rest of their discography is super hit or miss and the rest of the stupid "nintendocore" scene that formed around them is, on a macro level, some of the worst music ever written. They got that initial rush of internet fame in the early 2000s because "durr hurr the keys sound like zelda" and then in 2005 somehow shat out the most bewildering cosmic fluke in the history of music. Not one second is wasted, not one note out of place, every emotion in the human vocabulary is touched on, it's equally irreverent and emotional, nothing else sounds like it and everybody who has tried to replicate it has created the musical equivalent to that horribly taxidermied lion. I've typed literally thousands of words across the years into ultimately scrapped reviews trying to even begin explaining why I love it so much and I've yet to do it justice. I don't even recommend anybody seek it out at this point, because every single person I've shown it to over the last fifteen years has said it was terrible and I don't think my little heart can take it anymore. It is my treasure and it somehow exists within the single shittiest genre since music was invented.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 am 

Most metal is pretty mediocre or just bad but I love Left Hand Path and some old school stuff like Demilich and Convulse. Even within Thrash, which is probably the worst of the bunch, aside from Brutal Death Metal/Grind shit, Vektor, Voivod and Aspid's Extravasation are all great.

Aside from that, there's nothing redeemable about BDM, Groove and 99% of thrash

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:49 am 

I'm not into power metal in general terms, but Wuthering Heights is awesome, especially the last 2 albums. If Yngwie counts as power metal, then that's another one I listen, from the debut to Magnum Opus, more or less.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:26 pm 

The only example that I can think of right now would be The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li. That would be post-black metal, I think? Absolutely no knowledge of the genre at all, and I almost never listen to it, but that album is just absolutely amazing. I love everything about it! The instrumentation, the sound, and the atmosphere especially! It just captures everything that cosmic horror and Lovecraft is about (without the horrible racism of course). I cannot think of any other album which I just think "yep, this is what the Cthulhu Mythos sounds like". The album itself is a concept piece about the Lovecraft story "At the Mountains of Madness", and the whole thing just captures the cold, dreary, horrifying, and mind-shattering expedition the book is about. Just a fantastic album overall :headbang:

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:30 pm 

Post_Human_Shadows wrote:
I think my pick is Skepticism’s Stormcrowfleet. Doom metal, to me, is the toughest metal genre to get into. When I listen to Skepticism’s debut, I feel relaxed; I feel an odd sense of relief. The keys integrate well, to add mood and texture. The production is unique, almost warm.

That's because it's the greatest metal album of all time, absolutely zero questions asked

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:24 am 

eViLbOrIs wrote:
Morn Of Solace wrote:

Came here to mention this album and this puts it into words better than I could because I don't often "get" this genre and can't really analyzing it hard. I like other Cryptopsy stuff too, but man I do buy into the love for NSV all the way.

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:10 am 

Not into Atmospheric Black Metal too much, but Nyrst's "Orsok" album is really good.

Bluesyboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:18 am 

Rotting Christ - Non Serviam: I listened to a ton of black metal back in highschool, but for the past couple years this is the only black metal album I listen to. The amazing phrasing and guitar harmonies are just so pleasant to listen to and addictive. Tbf Greek Black metal is basically a different sub-genre so Im not sure this fits.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:29 am 

Not much into traditional doom (doom is one of those genres where I greatly prefer it if it's combined with something else) but "Nightfall" by Candlemass is clearly a masterpiece. I remember seeing the "Bewitched" video (naturally...) and thinking "okay, so the video is unintentionally hilarious... but this song slaps and that dude's singing voice rules" and then checking out that album.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:33 pm 

there are very few stoner metal bands I can really get into, but Electric Wizard has been a lifelong addiction

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:20 pm 

Really dislike just about all forms of atmospheric/post metal sludge. It largely puts me to sleep and feels toothless. Having said that I really enjoy Neurosis on especially Enemy of the Sun. Still have to be in the right mood to listen to it, but when that mood strikes it's a near perfect album.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:48 pm 

I'm not much of a fan of neoclassical power metal, but Yngwie Malmsteen has always been an artist I've enjoyed. His first six albums in particular are pretty much metal essentials for me.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:59 pm 

I loved "Shark Attack" but then again, I loved frenzied, chaotic hyper thrash back in the day, and still do, so...

...Gore grind is NOT a genre I typically enjoy. But yet, I got into it back in it's inception around 1989-1991 because it was so over the top, heavy, and extreme that it was truly next-level stuff; nothing existed that was as heavy or noisy and I loved that. So for me, "Reek of Putrefaction" by Carcass was the end-all of gore grind. That album was so over the top with it's bulldozing power and sheer noisy brutality that even Carcass themselves never really topped it (though of course "Symphonies of Sickness" was equally brutal and over the top, just more technical and tighter.) But it should have stopped right frickin' there. Because I have yet to hear any gore grind that has really topped that album. Some albums have come close to it, and every so often I'll hear a band with killer, grinding twisted riffs that reminds me (in a good way) of why "Reek of Putrefaction" made such an impression on me then. And plenty of bands have topped it in terms of offensive gory lyrics, or sheer unadulterated pure noise- but very few had the riffs and the power to match it. And lets face it, a lot of the incel, rapey lyrical bullshit, bad (often programmed) drumming, and ridiculous barnyard animal vocals that characterize most modern goregrind lend themselves to easy ridicule and almost instant dislike.

As far as Nu-metal, System of a Down seems to get almost near universal respect from metal fans, even those (like me) who tend to dislike most other "nu-metal" stuff out there. I suspect, that's because they incorporate a lot more of traditional thrash/speed metal into their sound than most, but at the same time they also have a unique style of composing and arranging their riffs. They are a genuinely great band.

And I've always been a big Malmsteen fan too. Again, his songwriting is much more memorable than the endless parade of neoclassical shred melodic "powerless" metal bands.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:09 pm 

Not sure it counts as a metal genre- but I’ve never been much of an industrial or industrial metal fan. That said I love the first Lard LP- Last Temptation of Reid- catchy, heavy and some amazing Jello rants.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:16 pm 

Not at all into symphonic power metal or most female fronted power metal, but took an interest and then grew to love Nightwish's Oceanborn.

My best friend and bandmate showed it to me in an effort to try to sway me over, since it's her favourite album too and the songwriting is rather "out there" and less corny. It's still corny in my opinion, but there are a lot of great riffs on that album and all the songs are great listens for a guy not into the genre but trying to approach it open-mindedly. Swanheart is beautiful, The Pharoah Sails To Orion is a badass song and the cover of Walking In The Air is absolutely divine. I hadn't bought a power metal album since my stint as a Dragonforce fan as a young teenager, but Oceanborn was worth getting. Great record!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:20 pm 

MatsBG wrote:
The only example that I can think of right now would be The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li. That would be post-black metal, I think? Absolutely no knowledge of the genre at all, and I almost never listen to it, but that album is just absolutely amazing. I love everything about it! The instrumentation, the sound, and the atmosphere especially! It just captures everything that cosmic horror and Lovecraft is about (without the horrible racism of course). I cannot think of any other album which I just think "yep, this is what the Cthulhu Mythos sounds like". The album itself is a concept piece about the Lovecraft story "At the Mountains of Madness", and the whole thing just captures the cold, dreary, horrifying, and mind-shattering expedition the book is about. Just a fantastic album overall :headbang:

Dude, that band is awesome! Very underrated in my opinion, and I'm glad to see them mentioned here as I feel like they don't get talked about enough. The riff in Antarctica is an instant crusher especially - immediately fell in love with them. The later albums are fantastic too, especially EOD: A Tale Of Dark Legacy - overall the band has this way of sounding absolutely MASSIVE with everything they do, like every musical moment is an Earthly cataclysm. If you like Tekeli-Li, definitely give the others a listen!

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:10 pm 

I never cared for grindcore but I adore Nasum "Inhale/Exhale" something about it puts a smile on my face. I am more of a Gothic industrial black metal fan so listening to this kinda throws people off when I mention this album.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:00 am 

Don't enjoy deathcore in general, but I think Thy Art's 'The Adversary' is a pretty good album.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am 

Hate slam/brutal death metal yet I love Suffocation's Effigy and Human Waste.
Hate goregrind/grindcore yet love Blood's Impulse to Destroy, Brutal Truth's Extreme Conditions, Atrocity's Blue Blood, CSSO's Are You Excrement and Carcass' Symphonies.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Last edited by Floodland on Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:02 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
MatsBG wrote:

Dude, that band is awesome! Very underrated in my opinion, and I'm glad to see them mentioned here as I feel like they don't get talked about enough. The riff in Antarctica is an instant crusher especially - immediately fell in love with them. The later albums are fantastic too, especially EOD: A Tale Of Dark Legacy - overall the band has this way of sounding absolutely MASSIVE with everything they do, like every musical moment is an Earthly cataclysm. If you like Tekeli-Li, definitely give the others a listen!

I've been listening to them more this year, and they're really growing on me. Kind of a more black metal version of one of my favorite bands, Sulphur Aeon. Also in that sweet spot of atmospheric extreme metal with an oceanic, gargantuan sound. Too many heavy bands don't have enough ambiance, and most atmospheric black metal I look into just isn't heavy enough, but they're just right.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
MatsBG wrote:

I've been listening to them more this year, and they're really growing on me. Kind of a more black metal version of one of my favorite bands, Sulphur Aeon. Also in that sweet spot of atmospheric extreme metal with an oceanic, gargantuan sound. Too many heavy bands don't have enough ambiance, and most atmospheric black metal I look into just isn't heavy enough, but they're just right.

I never thought of a Sulphur Aeon comparison (though I'm also not as acquainted with them as I should be - I gotta get around to that band...), but I totally agree with your analysis. Very atmospheric, a HUGE sound, and the heavy kind of post metal as opposed to the introverted, whimsical side (though I'm a sucker for that too). I've always seen The Great Old Ones as if Cult Of Luna played black metal. I really want those fucking bands to tour together - would be an crushingly heavy gig with crazy lights the whole night!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:43 pm 

Hmm, that's an interesting comparison. I'm not a huge post-metal fan, but CoL is one of my favorites in that style. Sulphur Aeon definitely leans into 00s Behemoth death metal-isms much more than TGOO does, but they have a similar spacious feeling to them sonically, and the same sort of Cthulu Cult mythos topically. It's more noticeable on TGOO's later albums than the earlier ones. The guitars get noticeably deeper and chunkier to me on the last two.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:49 pm 

I don't like power metal at all, but Sonata Arctica's 'Winterheart's Guild' for me. I was working at my college's radio station at the time that we got it and, regardless of the DJ's who played metal or not, everyone loved this album. Still the only power metal album I will say I like.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:40 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Hmm, that's an interesting comparison. I'm not a huge post-metal fan, but CoL is one of my favorites in that style. Sulphur Aeon definitely leans into 00s Behemoth death metal-isms much more than TGOO does, but they have a similar spacious feeling to them sonically, and the same sort of Cthulu Cult mythos topically. It's more noticeable on TGOO's later albums than the earlier ones. The guitars get noticeably deeper and chunkier to me on the last two.

I see - I like that description so I'll have to give them a go! Especially if the comparisons are more apt for the later TGOO records, as I'd say those may be their 2 strongest (EOD especially).

pentium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:52 am 

I don't normally get into progressive metal too often (due to my short attention span) but I absolutely love Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice. Brilliant album!

I also have a hard time getting into power metal, however I've always been a big fan of Primal Fear. Especially earlier in their career (S/T, Jaws of Death, Black Sun). I know they have traditional heavy metal influence but it feels mostly power metal, at least to me.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:23 am 

Bingewolf wrote:
I don't like power metal at all, but Sonata Arctica's 'Winterheart's Guild' for me. I was working at my college's radio station at the time that we got it and, regardless of the DJ's who played metal or not, everyone loved this album. Still the only power metal album I will say I like.

Same here with the same indifference to power metal; however, when I listened to Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings for the first time, I was blown away. It has become a favourite of mine and still is for many many years now.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:59 am 

Slater922 wrote:
I'm not much of a fan of neoclassical power metal, but Yngwie Malmsteen has always been an artist I've enjoyed. His first six albums in particular are pretty much metal essentials for me.

Came here to say the exact same thing. Even all the same albums. Yngwie has become very important for me in the last years, though I'm not into European power metal at all.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:16 pm 

Floodland wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:

Same here with the same indifference to power metal; however, when I listened to Iced Earth's Burnt Offerings for the first time, I was blown away. It has become a favourite of mine and still is for many many years now.

I see what you mean for sure! It's those power metal bands who aren't really making a power metal record... Because you always assume that the power metal bands are going to deliver the power metal cheese.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:22 pm 

I don't usually like most power metal, but a lot of the reason I don't like it has to do with the types of vocalists they choose, as I'm not a fan of super high pitched vocals usually (except King Diamond and a few other exceptions) and many power metal bands have that (there are other aspects of it I also don't always like) but Running Wild is amazing and I love Death or Glory.

I mean, it's just so epic. Riding the Storm is my all time favorite power metal track and really, it's just so much fun all the way through.

Not much more to say about it than that.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Deathcore but I pretty much like everything I've heard of Rings of Saturn.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:16 pm 

pentium wrote:
I don't normally get into progressive metal too often but I absolutely love Zero Hour - The Towers of Avarice. Brilliant album!

I don't really listen to prog metal either, but The Towers of Avarice is one I really enjoy too. Like most folk, i'm much more amenable to the genres i'm not interested in when they're mixed with genres I am. So even though I don't prog, two amongst my alltime favourite LPs are Prometheus and Empiricism. Not really prog, but hardly simply black metal either, just unique.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next