Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic

Which country would you choose?
Finland 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Norway 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Sweden 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
interstellar_medium
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am
Posts: 710
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:38 pm 
 

Finland. Very personal, this. My favourites are mostly the Finnish-speaking artists (particularly Ajattara and Saattue, with Vermilia quickly catching up), but not only (think Tarot, Crimfall, pre-Joutsen Amorphis, Deathlike Silence...).
And since the OP never specified we were strictly talking metal, the pop & rock music I listen to is predominantly Finnish. No way I am giving up this; there's only so far you can survive on a diet of strictly metal and classical music :)))

Sweden next (Quorthon, early DT, Vintersorg...), and as for Norway, well, there are a handful of excellent Norwegian singers out there, but I'm not a huge fan of the music that comes bundled with those voices.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
power like Amaran


I was going through my archives of digital music a few days ago, came across them and wondered if anyone remembered them today. Now I know :)

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 1428
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:53 pm 
 

I'd have to pick Finland. Omnium Gatherum, Insomnium, Wolfheart, Blood Red Hourglass, Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Amorphis, Demigod, Funebre, Mors Subita, Krypts, Lantern etc...

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:08 pm 
 

interstellar_medium wrote:

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
power like Amaran


I was going through my archives of digital music a few days ago, came across them and wondered if anyone remembered them today. Now I know :)


I almost wonder if whenever I mention them people think I mean "Amaranthe" and missed a few letters. Some similarities, but totally different bands.

Top
 Profile  
interstellar_medium
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am
Posts: 710
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:21 pm 
 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
power like Amaran


I was going through my archives of digital music a few days ago, came across them and wondered if anyone remembered them today. Now I know :)


I almost wonder if whenever I mention them people think I mean "Amaranthe" and missed a few letters. Some similarities, but totally different bands.


I'd wager these days most would think it's a typo, yeah.

Top
 Profile  
Inkshooter
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm
Posts: 1058
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:24 am 
 

Yeah, I realized I was only taking black metal account so I edited the comment. You got me.
_________________
For the kings of the ravenrealms

Top
 Profile  
Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:28 pm
Posts: 226
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:55 am 
 

Norway, by the slightest of margins. Who asks this kind of painful questions should be warned and threatened with forced labour. You can’t ask which one of the children a parent love most.

Top
 Profile  
DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 1053
Location: Switzerland
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:42 am 
 

interstellar_medium wrote:
(…)And since the OP never specified we were strictly talking metal, the pop & rock music I listen to is predominantly Finnish (…)


Technically he did since it's under "metal discussion". That's why I hate seeing later Ulver mentioned every now and then.
_________________
______In Marble Halls Of Falling Snow______

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2660
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:46 am 
 

DecemberSoul wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:
(…)And since the OP never specified we were strictly talking metal, the pop & rock music I listen to is predominantly Finnish (…)


Technically he did since it's under "metal discussion". That's why I hate seeing later Ulver mentioned every now and then.

Why? They have 2/3 albums relevant to this thread.

Top
 Profile  
DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 1053
Location: Switzerland
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 am 
 

Gravetemplar wrote:
DecemberSoul wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:
(…)And since the OP never specified we were strictly talking metal, the pop & rock music I listen to is predominantly Finnish (…)


Technically he did since it's under "metal discussion". That's why I hate seeing later Ulver mentioned every now and then.

Why? They have 2/3 albums relevant to this thread.


OK, I problably wasn't very specific by just lazily writing "later"...
_________________
______In Marble Halls Of Falling Snow______

Top
 Profile  
snarg
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 22, 2020 4:25 pm
Posts: 366
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:14 am 
 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
I'd say its tough to choose between Finland and Norway. I probably like more Norwegian artists than Finnish, but I feel like the Finnish bands I do like I spin more regularly.

Doing this however made me realize that even though I love artists from all over the globe, the vast majority of my favorite artists are from the United States. Im not sure if thats a bias because of the fact that I live in the U.S. so its more likely I discover these artists but in general most of my favorites come from the states.

Funny, because for me is the opposite. I would 100% name Canada and Australia before the US and it would take me a good amount of time to figure out if the UK, France and Germany wouldn't come before the US as well.

But i guess that can easily be attributed to the fact that i don't really listen to trash metal.
_________________
My AOTY 2020 Spotify playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7DHjC ... bKjvfkhBXw

2021 version in progress:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5XCnD ... 0P4ggu4BXA

Top
 Profile  
Discordant
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:27 pm
Posts: 236
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:58 am 
 

Sweden, basicly got into extreme metal through the now defunct Swedish Metal.net website. And through the years I have called bands like Morgana Lefay, Bathory, Dissection, Hypocrisy and The Project Hate MCMXCIX my favorite band at some point in time.

Love norwegian black metal so thats a second for me. And eventhough im half-finnish and spent lots of summers there I could never really get into a singel finnish band ever, for some strange reason...
_________________
https://enigmaticalofficial.bandcamp.com/
Cosmic Black Metal Industrialism
https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school black/thrash

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
cisgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10812
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 am 
 

snarg wrote:
Funny, because for me is the opposite. I would 100% name Canada and Australia before the US and it would take me a good amount of time to figure out if the UK, France and Germany wouldn't come before the US as well.

But i guess that can easily be attributed to the fact that i don't really listen to trash metal.

USA by a huge margin, then Sweden, Germany and the UK. After that it's Norway and Finland. I counted my whole last.fm at some point. Has to do with how many genres I listen to have great bands from those countries, USA and Sweden in particular have classic bands in lots of different genres.
_________________
Spoiler: show
Clicking on spoiler tags in signatures means you seriously need a hobby.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 2378
Location: The 9th Circle of Hollola
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:41 am 
 

All of those countries are important to me. Finland has the early 80's heavy metal which I'm a sucker for. Sarcofagus, Oz, Riff Raff and the like. Also early-to-mid 90's black metal. You all know the "big names". Even countless good black metal demos done at that time.

Norway of course has those black metal bands. Sweden has Heavy Load, Bathory, Europe, Candlemass, Dissection and Sacramentum.

If I have to choose, it would probably be Finland. But there's a lot of that folk metal and other melodic shit which I am not a fan at all. Someone please buy my Battle Beast albums. :(

Top
 Profile  
Annable Courts
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:25 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 am 
 

Sweden for their polished sound no matter the genre over Norway's more abrasive sound. Not a big fan of any Finnish band.

Top
 Profile  
funeralravens
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 pm
Posts: 134
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am 
 

droneriot wrote:
USA by a huge margin, then Sweden, Germany and the UK. After that it's Norway and Finland. I counted my whole last.fm at some point. Has to do with how many genres I listen to have great bands from those countries, USA and Sweden in particular have classic bands in lots of different genres.

Funny, it is. I don't really listen to thrash metal, so all my experience with American metal boils down to some rare bouts of listening to death metal and maybe a band here and there from some other genres, even though there's not a single black/doom/gothic metal band from the USA that I truly like. There are at least some good black metal bands from Canada (mostly Quebec) that I sometimes listen to. I like a few non-metal bands from the USA, though.

If I had to make a chart for my metal music, the first would probably me Norway, then Sweden, and then a hodgepodge of the other European countries.

Top
 Profile  
Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:21 am 
 

Quote:
Proof? There’s nothing NS about Moonsorrow. NSBM isn’t “tenuous affiliations with people with dubious politics”. NSBM is Black Metal that advocates National socialist dogma and beliefs. Moonsorrow has done absolutely none of that. I’m all for saying fuck you to Nazis but this is getting ri-goddamn-diculous.


Quick note before I start: I'm not gonna muddy the waters by defining NSBM rigidly as only black metal bands that explicitly endorse a classical nazi message. I will not stoop to such idiocy. I'm gonna broadly define NSBM as any extreme right wing band that espouses or dogwhistles some variant of ethnic ultranationalism. Anyone that's familiar with far right ideologies knows that one comes before the other, there is too much historical precedent to trust right wing nationalism that much.

Here's the first source that comes, though this was reported on in a few places. There's also information here on metal-archives of course. - https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/03/05/m ... premacism/

Someone's probably gonna get triggered by a metalsucks link, but the core parts are all more than enough evidence. Moonsorrow are super friendly with Loits, who are your usual eastern european nazis that half disguise themselves as oh-so-much-more-innocent estonian nationalists but tick every dogwhistle in the book Ive ever seen. Moonsorrow are friends with them, played shows with them, and then downplayed what Loits stand for. Metalsucks note some things Moonsorrow members have done and said, which I would say isn't actually conclusive if it were on its own, but is relevant enough to mention once you factor in the Loits stuff.

I've met people who seem to think it's possible to knowingly be friends with nazis, but those people are very stupid. If you're that closely associated with a nazi band to the point that you downplay them as just being fans of history, you're also a nazi no questions asked. I will never believe someone can do the shit Moonsorrow has done here and not belong in that same insane extreme right wing region.

Top
 Profile  
nightbreaker33
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 am
Posts: 390
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:28 am 
 

Finland. I don't want Sweden to make me ignore listening to finish gem nwothm bands. I found out about Loanshark and they are great. And probably the only band I know which is finish along with Oz,Sarcofagous and Kimo Kusinemi.

Top
 Profile  
Unity
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:42 pm
Posts: 1796
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:08 am 
 

As a big fan of BM, Norway hands down. I just couldn't live without Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Darkthrone, Immortal, Satyricon, Ulver, Fimbulwinter, Taake, Isengard, Storm, 1349, Dimmu Borgir, etc.
_________________
Stand rigid for the next battle,
Peace means reloading your guns

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 667
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:55 am 
 

I'd go with Finland. It'd be a painful choice, and nowadays I probably listen to more music from other countries, but the bands that got me really into metal all come from there: Sonata Arctica (still my favorite), Nightwish, Stratovarius, Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Norther, Ensiferum... all these bands at some point ranked in my all time favorites. Plus plenty of lesser bands that I used to listne a lot (Altaria, Requiem, Twilightning, Celesty).

I'd miss a lot of bands, especially Emperor, Mustasch, Vampire, Enslaved, all the other Norvegian black metal... Though I'd still have Sargeist, at least. Some comfort there.

Top
 Profile  
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 620
Location: Purgatory
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 pm 
 

Gameofmetal wrote:
Quote:
Proof? There’s nothing NS about Moonsorrow. NSBM isn’t “tenuous affiliations with people with dubious politics”. NSBM is Black Metal that advocates National socialist dogma and beliefs. Moonsorrow has done absolutely none of that. I’m all for saying fuck you to Nazis but this is getting ri-goddamn-diculous.


Quick note before I start: I'm not gonna muddy the waters by defining NSBM rigidly as only black metal bands that explicitly endorse a classical nazi message. I will not stoop to such idiocy. I'm gonna broadly define NSBM as any extreme right wing band that espouses or dogwhistles some variant of ethnic ultranationalism. Anyone that's familiar with far right ideologies knows that one comes before the other, there is too much historical precedent to trust right wing nationalism that much.

Here's the first source that comes, though this was reported on in a few places. There's also information here on metal-archives of course. - https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/03/05/m ... premacism/

Someone's probably gonna get triggered by a metalsucks link, but the core parts are all more than enough evidence. Moonsorrow are super friendly with Loits, who are your usual eastern european nazis that half disguise themselves as oh-so-much-more-innocent estonian nationalists but tick every dogwhistle in the book Ive ever seen. Moonsorrow are friends with them, played shows with them, and then downplayed what Loits stand for. Metalsucks note some things Moonsorrow members have done and said, which I would say isn't actually conclusive if it were on its own, but is relevant enough to mention once you factor in the Loits stuff.

I've met people who seem to think it's possible to knowingly be friends with nazis, but those people are very stupid. If you're that closely associated with a nazi band to the point that you downplay them as just being fans of history, you're also a nazi no questions asked. I will never believe someone can do the shit Moonsorrow has done here and not belong in that same insane extreme right wing region.

oh for fuck's sake

Top
 Profile  
Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:45 pm 
 

Yeah I get it, sucks to see a good band turn out to be shady as fuck.

Top
 Profile  
Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:37 pm
Posts: 291
Location: Golgotha
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:49 pm 
 

Probably Sweden in terms of overall number of great bands, but i shudder at the thought of not listening to Drawing Down the Moon or even a couple of those old Norwegian classics like In the Nightside Eclipse or something.
_________________
So what? You're just gonna listen to this garbage metal noise, and grow your hair long, and not get laid?


Perhaps.

Top
 Profile  
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 620
Location: Purgatory
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:06 pm 
 

Gameofmetal wrote:
Yeah I get it, sucks to see a good band turn out to be shady as fuck.

None of this is news to me. I live a few clicks away from some of the Moonsorrow guys, nothing remotely NS about them. Many of your favorite bands are nazis by association this way, I'm sure.
No one, absolutely no one in the north has ever raised the question of Moonsorrow's motives as a band, because unlike those Metalsucks cultural saviors who are taught the absolute minimun of world history in their shitty education system, we actually can think for ourselves and see the line in between cultural heritage and PURE NAZI EVIL.

Top
 Profile  
Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:28 pm 
 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Gameofmetal wrote:
Yeah I get it, sucks to see a good band turn out to be shady as fuck.

None of this is news to me. I live a few clicks away from some of the Moonsorrow guys, nothing remotely NS about them. Many of your favorite bands are nazis by association this way, I'm sure.
No one, absolutely no one in the north has ever raised the question of Moonsorrow's motives as a band, because unlike those Metalsucks cultural saviors who are taught the absolute minimun of world history in their shitty education system, we actually can think for ourselves and see the line in between cultural heritage and PURE NAZI EVIL.


Don't believe that you know them and I wouldn't care if you did. I judge by their actions and their actions were to enable and protect fascists. That makes them fascists. I'm sorry that bothers you, but I can't do anything about your hurt feelings.

"cultural heritage" this is such a classic dogwhistle excuse. In the US our equivalent is the Confederacy, it's the "cultural heritage" of the south. Except it's not at all, it's just some shit that's worshiped by racists. Just like how Loits worship Estonian fascist military groups.

One day there won't be this seething horde of fascist apologists shitting themselves every time you call a spade a spade.

Top
 Profile  
pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:05 pm
Posts: 499
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm 
 

Yea, i've definitely got the U.S. by a wide margin, and im honestly not the biggest fan of thrash metal. I primarily listen to Death Metal. When i went down my list of favorite bands the only ones I could actually think of in my top ten that wasnt American was Behemoth and Napalm Death.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2497
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:08 pm 
 

Gameofmetal wrote:
Quote:
Proof? There’s nothing NS about Moonsorrow. NSBM isn’t “tenuous affiliations with people with dubious politics”. NSBM is Black Metal that advocates National socialist dogma and beliefs. Moonsorrow has done absolutely none of that. I’m all for saying fuck you to Nazis but this is getting ri-goddamn-diculous.


Quick note before I start: I'm not gonna muddy the waters by defining NSBM rigidly as only black metal bands that explicitly endorse a classical nazi message. I will not stoop to such idiocy. I'm gonna broadly define NSBM as any extreme right wing band that espouses or dogwhistles some variant of ethnic ultranationalism. Anyone that's familiar with far right ideologies knows that one comes before the other, there is too much historical precedent to trust right wing nationalism that much.

Here's the first source that comes, though this was reported on in a few places. There's also information here on metal-archives of course. - https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/03/05/m ... premacism/

Someone's probably gonna get triggered by a metalsucks link, but the core parts are all more than enough evidence. Moonsorrow are super friendly with Loits, who are your usual eastern european nazis that half disguise themselves as oh-so-much-more-innocent estonian nationalists but tick every dogwhistle in the book Ive ever seen. Moonsorrow are friends with them, played shows with them, and then downplayed what Loits stand for. Metalsucks note some things Moonsorrow members have done and said, which I would say isn't actually conclusive if it were on its own, but is relevant enough to mention once you factor in the Loits stuff.

I've met people who seem to think it's possible to knowingly be friends with nazis, but those people are very stupid. If you're that closely associated with a nazi band to the point that you downplay them as just being fans of history, you're also a nazi no questions asked. I will never believe someone can do the shit Moonsorrow has done here and not belong in that same insane extreme right wing region.


Rude and ridiculous. Quite a two fer. Not sure how you get to the equivalency of Moonsorrow being NSBM based on them playing with another band. Apparently idiocy is defining the musical act and the message it relays as part of a sub genre, rather than just tagging any band with possible connections to people that may be nazis.

I guess this means that Slayer is a Christian metal band, and I have friends who are communists so I guess every metal act I have played with is Now communist metal. Weird.

So Metalsucks indictment of Moonsorrow boils down to Moonsorrow saying Loits is a band about history and the lead singer of Moonsorrow being unapologetic about wearing a Burzum shirt... wow. Case closed.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.


Last edited by cultofkraken on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:42 am
Posts: 620
Location: Purgatory
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm 
 

Gameofmetal wrote:
"cultural heritage" this is such a classic dogwhistle excuse. In the US our equivalent is the Confederacy, it's the "cultural heritage" of the south. Except it's not at all, it's just some shit that's worshiped by racists.

You do realize that by this definition everything from Wardruna to Korpiklaani and from Tenhi to Bathory has some serious fascist undertones?

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10663
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm 
 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Gameofmetal wrote:
"cultural heritage" this is such a classic dogwhistle excuse. In the US our equivalent is the Confederacy, it's the "cultural heritage" of the south. Except it's not at all, it's just some shit that's worshiped by racists.

You do realize that by this definition everything from Wardruna to Korpiklaani and from Tenhi to Bathory has some serious fascist undertones?

Yeah, for real. Finland has nothing close to what the Confederacy was for the States. The shit we have today is the stuff that was perpetuated by Lost Cause-worshipping revisionist losers rewriting history and enacting specific racist laws and societal tones for over 100 years. I don't know Finnish culture or history to the same extent I know US history but you can't compare the Confederacy and its lingering effect as an equivalent to Finland's "heritage".

Also, what the hell does any of this have to do with this thread?
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
MorbidEarth
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:39 am
Posts: 448
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:36 pm 
 

I'll go for Sweden. There's at least half a dozen bands from that country that I really like (Bathory, Candlemass, Opeth, Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, Dismember). I don't listen to much black metal so Norwegian bands have never featured much in my listening habits. I've never really got into the Finnish scene either.

In general, most of my favourite bands are from the USA. Thrash is my favourite metal genre so it's no surprise that I naturally gravitate to American bands. My metal music chart would have American bands at the top followed by bands from Sweden and then bands from the UK and Germany.

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 3284
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:22 pm 
 

Sweden has several of my favourite bands - Morgana Lefay, Tad Morose, Nocturnal Rites. Then there's the Stockholm death metal bands.
And the early 80s bands. There wasn't much of that in either Norway or Finland.
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!

Top
 Profile  
Annable Courts
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:25 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Cheese
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:25 pm 
 

MorbidEarth wrote:
I'll go for Sweden. There's at least half a dozen bands from that country that I really like (Bathory, Candlemass, Opeth, Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, Dismember). I don't listen to much black metal so Norwegian bands have never featured much in my listening habits. I've never really got into the Finnish scene either.

In general, most of my favourite bands are from the USA. Thrash is my favourite metal genre so it's no surprise that I naturally gravitate to American bands. My metal music chart would have American bands at the top followed by bands from Sweden and then bands from the UK and Germany.

right yeah same for the US bands. I think the Scandinavian metal phenomenon is slightly exaggerated and the US scene often a bit neglected. I mean if you lsn to metal you prob listen to some thrash or some death metal, they're a major backbone to metal as a whole, and you can't really think of metal in that sense without US bands. Like the early wave of Swe death metal is directly inspired by American dmetal so if you like, say, early Hypocrisy then you must enjoy the Tampa Bay/FLO bands. A band like Entombed is directly inspired in their death n roll style by the US scene.

Top
 Profile  
snarg
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 22, 2020 4:25 pm
Posts: 366
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:41 pm 
 

Annable Courts wrote:
MorbidEarth wrote:
I'll go for Sweden. There's at least half a dozen bands from that country that I really like (Bathory, Candlemass, Opeth, Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, Dismember). I don't listen to much black metal so Norwegian bands have never featured much in my listening habits. I've never really got into the Finnish scene either.

In general, most of my favourite bands are from the USA. Thrash is my favourite metal genre so it's no surprise that I naturally gravitate to American bands. My metal music chart would have American bands at the top followed by bands from Sweden and then bands from the UK and Germany.

right yeah same for the US bands. I think the Scandinavian metal phenomenon is slightly exaggerated and the US scene often a bit neglected. I mean if you lsn to metal you prob listen to some thrash or some death metal, they're a major backbone to metal as a whole, and you can't really think of metal in that sense without US bands. Like the early wave of Swe death metal is directly inspired by American dmetal so if you like, say, early Hypocrisy then you must enjoy the Tampa Bay/FLO bands. A band like Entombed is directly inspired in their death n roll style by the US scene.
Being influenced by doesn't necessarily equate to people liking the predecessor bands. If you think like that where does it stop? Am I supposed to like 20's-50's blues and jazz because those bands influenced Black Sabbath that then would influence pretty much every metal genre in existence?

Can't go on making those types of associations. I like Black Metal, never liked Venom and even Celtic Frost is not really my cup of tea, totally dislike Mayhem. Never liked Death or Morbid Angel, but always liked Cannibal Corpse, Obituary and Suffocation.

The list goes on and on. Liking one band doesn't mean you have to like their influences.
_________________
My AOTY 2020 Spotify playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7DHjC ... bKjvfkhBXw

2021 version in progress:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5XCnD ... 0P4ggu4BXA

Top
 Profile  
DungeonShade
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:18 pm
Posts: 41
Location: Vault of Aerode
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:18 pm 
 

Finland is easily my pick. Sonata Arctica is one of my all time favorite bands, and the majority of my favorite black metal is Finnish. Not to mention Amorphis, Insomnium, Archgoat, Demilich... :drool:

While I say it's an easy choice, no more Dark Tranquillity, Burzum, Bathory, etc does hurt.

Edit: Forgot to misspell tranquility. Also Reverend Bizarre!
_________________
simonitro wrote:
Plenty of fucking Depressive/Suicidal Black Metal: Some-Shmuck-In-The-Bathtub-Screaming Metal like Silencer.... terrible fucking album!

Top
 Profile  
Oxenkiller
Veteran

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 am
Posts: 2973
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:00 pm 
 

There are a huge variety of Swedish bands I like, across many genres; too many to list. Okay for starters: Bathory, Candlemass, some of the early Gothenberg bands (early In Flames/Dark Tranquility/At the Gates/the Crown), plus Grave, Unleashed, Entombed, Dozer, Count Raven, DS-13, Anti-Cimex, and uh, I guess you could consider OZ to be either Finnish or Swedish, and in any case Finland is my second choice. Not that there aren't great bands from Norway as well, don't get me wrong.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
cisgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10812
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:05 pm 
 

DungeonShade wrote:
Edit:

Makes me think, Dark Tranquillity's career must have taken a big hit since autocorrect was rolled out.
_________________
Spoiler: show
Clicking on spoiler tags in signatures means you seriously need a hobby.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Top
 Profile  
interstellar_medium
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:41 am
Posts: 710
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:02 am 
 

DecemberSoul wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:
(…)And since the OP never specified we were strictly talking metal, the pop & rock music I listen to is predominantly Finnish (…)


Technically he did since it's under "metal discussion".


Oh right, I forgot. Plenty easy to, IMO, since people do talk about Nightwish and Delain in this subforum...
(no, I did not mean that the pop music I listen to is NW)

;P =D

Top
 Profile  
jose_G
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon May 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Posts: 124
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:21 pm 
 

Probably Norway...

Top
 Profile  
Annable Courts
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:25 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 pm 
 

snarg wrote:
Annable Courts wrote:
MorbidEarth wrote:
I'll go for Sweden. There's at least half a dozen bands from that country that I really like (Bathory, Candlemass, Opeth, Meshuggah, Amon Amarth, Dismember). I don't listen to much black metal so Norwegian bands have never featured much in my listening habits. I've never really got into the Finnish scene either.

In general, most of my favourite bands are from the USA. Thrash is my favourite metal genre so it's no surprise that I naturally gravitate to American bands. My metal music chart would have American bands at the top followed by bands from Sweden and then bands from the UK and Germany.

right yeah same for the US bands. I think the Scandinavian metal phenomenon is slightly exaggerated and the US scene often a bit neglected. I mean if you lsn to metal you prob listen to some thrash or some death metal, they're a major backbone to metal as a whole, and you can't really think of metal in that sense without US bands. Like the early wave of Swe death metal is directly inspired by American dmetal so if you like, say, early Hypocrisy then you must enjoy the Tampa Bay/FLO bands. A band like Entombed is directly inspired in their death n roll style by the US scene.
Being influenced by doesn't necessarily equate to people liking the predecessor bands. If you think like that where does it stop? Am I supposed to like 20's-50's blues and jazz because those bands influenced Black Sabbath that then would influence pretty much every metal genre in existence?

Can't go on making those types of associations. I like Black Metal, never liked Venom and even Celtic Frost is not really my cup of tea, totally dislike Mayhem. Never liked Death or Morbid Angel, but always liked Cannibal Corpse, Obituary and Suffocation.

The list goes on and on. Liking one band doesn't mean you have to like their influences.

no doubt "Being influenced by doesn't necessarily equate to people liking the predecessor bands", however I meant if one likes old Hypocrisy then he should love the Floridian scene. Coz they're just the best at that. Sweden is good at making melodic stuff, leave the gritty heavy stuff to the US bands imo. Not that SWE don't have ANY of those, but generally. Obviously if you like death metal, you don't HAVE to like Possessed. I don't.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 2497
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:55 pm 
 

Annable Courts wrote:
no doubt "Being influenced by doesn't necessarily equate to people liking the predecessor bands", however I meant if one likes old Hypocrisy then he should love the Floridian scene. Coz they're just the best at that. Sweden is good at making melodic stuff, leave the gritty heavy stuff to the US bands imo. Not that SWE don't have ANY of those, but generally. Obviously if you like death metal, you don't HAVE to like Possessed. I don't.


Leave the gritty heavy stuff to the US? Nah, I’ll take Morbid/Grotesque/122 Stab Wounds /Nihilist/Entombed/Carnage/Grave/Vomitory/old Dismember over the “gritty” US stuff any day. I say this while being a huge fan of lots of American death metal but come on that’s just an ignorant statement.

Also this is not what this thread is about so stop derailing it and start your own.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 pm
Posts: 2062
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:10 pm 
 

I much prefer that sort of Swedish "gritty" over the US equivalent to it myself, but they're still not really the same sort of sound.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jjohn and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group