Norway 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Sweden 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gunther_N_T
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:41 am 

Easily Sweden, for the reasons below:

Abba, Bathory, Grave, Dissection, Dismember, Bloodbath, Unleashed, Vomitory, Entombed, Lik, Entrails, Carnal Forge, Dimension Zero, Svartkonst, Necrophobic, Astrophobos, Nasum.

Drinkenstein
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:29 pm 

Finland, no question. Finland is home to many bands and albums that helped get me into metal, and that I still like to this day. The Children of Bodom, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Kalmah, and Finntroll discographies are all absolutely crucial to me. I guess I'd get Korpiklaani as a bonus too. On top of that, you have fantastic scenes in the realm of death, black, black/death, and funeral doom. Hail is one of my favorite projects of all time, along with every single other project that Dirtmaster is a part of (Death Citadel, Legacies Unchain, Wormphlegm). I couldn't live without any of those projects. Then you've got bands like Amorphis, Demilich, Beherit, Skepticism, Thergothon--all super important. Of course there's also a bunch of fashy black metal with pretty good riffs, but I suppose if I were region-locked for life on my music choices I could feel less bad about listening to it.

EDIT: Oh god I forgot Moonsorrow

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:59 pm 

Finland fairly easily for me. Most of my favorite bands in the genres of death, black, and doom reside or originate from there. Additionally they have (had) a pretty amazing hardcore punk / d-beat scene.

mdmdmd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:43 pm 

For me, it's Sweden for Dissection, At The Gates, In Flames, Meshuggah, Opeth, Necrophobic

On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:06 am 

Finland, mostly for things like Demilich, traditional doom, Beherit. And not to mention a lot of non-metal Finnish stuff I enjoy like Kuupuu.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 am 

Denmark really.

Okay, Sweden. By far. So far it isn't even funny. I think Epicus Doomicus alone would tip the scales. Then you have Yngwie, Morgana Lefay, Wolf, Memento Mori, Bathory, Tad Morose, the entire death metal scene and lots more. No contest.

Norway would be second but for the newer heavy/speed/thrash/death bands with the Kolbotn connection (Nekromantheon, Deathhammer, Condor, Black Viper, Infant Death etc). And Artch. And WitchHammer.

Finland? Some, mostly early, Amorphis, up to '97 Stratovarius, Stone, Demilich... ?

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 am 

This is really tough. I listen to death metal the most and apart from a handful of albums I wasn't too big on the Swedish scene (don't get me wrong I dig it though). I'm gonna have to with Finland mostly due to their death metal scene. If I think about black metal also though Sweden is pretty tempting

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

~Guest 923966
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:04 pm 

Sweden - due to us having a fair amount of Black Metal, Death Metal, and some good NWOTHM bands.

I'd be sad to miss out on the Norwegian BM bands, but I'd live.

nossilgk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:44 pm 

Three words Norwegian Black Metal. Norway is like a black metal factory I don't think I'd ever run out of stuff to listen too.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:21 pm 

Sweden. Just too many bands covering too much ground. I happily listen to music from all 3, of course.

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:29 pm 

Bands from Sweden attracts me more. Give me Entombed/At the Gates, and I am fine.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 pm 

I don't think I could decide between Sweden and Finland, and of course i love Norwegian black metal but it would probably come in last place but it would still suck being without it.

Within the past few years I've been more into Finnish stuff, but in terms of sheer quantity of different styles of metal bands that come from Sweden I think it beats Finland, but that may only be because i'm still just more familiar with more Swedish bands.

I find that Finland tends to have a lot of interesting death and melodic death metal bands, and while they do have bands of other styles, I'm a huge fan of grindcore and I think Sweden might have more grind bands than Finland, and Sweden might also have more black metal than Finland, but i'm not sure. Then there's also a fair number of good Swedish crust punk and d-beat and blackened crust bands and the old Swedish hardcore scene which I don't know a lot about.

I mean, Sweden had both the Gothenburg scene AND the Stockholm scene.

I guess by overwhelming quantity it probably wins, but in terms of quality it's neck and neck with Finland.

On a different note, I find Finland to be the most interesting of the 3 countries and have been fascinated with its' history for a while now. Finnish people originally seem not to be related genetically to other Scandinavian peoples and i've read a little of the Kalevala about their mythology and it just seems like such a fascinating place. While I'm sure it's really just like any other part of the world, i'd love to go there someday and see any ancient sites or interesting historical places while also hopefully seeing some bands play.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Finnish people originally seem not to be related genetically to other Scandinavian peoples

Because they aren't Scandinavian at all.

~Guest 923966
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:02 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Finnish people originally seem not to be related genetically to other Scandinavian peoples

Because they arent. :D

Denmark, Sweden, and Norway are Scandinavian countries.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:03 pm 

Yeah, I didn't realize that myself for longer than I'd want to admit. Even though it does have its own scenes and characteristics, there is something musically in kind with the Scandinavian countries that Finland seems to share with them and differentiates them as a group from the other European countries, and it's tricky to say exactly what it is.

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:52 pm 

Sweden have so many great bands in so many styles that I have to go with Sweden.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:06 pm 

The OP, I just want to say thank you for this thread! :)
It was kind of a motivational question for me because it made me wonder why I avoided all the Norwegian metal bands/projects... I'm not able to get into "the second wave of black metal" bands/albums (well, I am able to listen to the albums ''Bergtatt'' by Ulver and ''Heart of the Ages'' by In the Woods..., because they are more atmospheric and less extreme (both musically and lyrics/imagery-wise) and there are a few calm/soft parts on these albums, but that's it), but there are no reasons to ignore Norwegian bands/albums from other metal subgenres.
So, besides the fact that this thread has inspired me to explore Norwegian doom/death and black/doom metal bands/albums (I've started with them because these subgenres of metal music are my favorites and they are more accessible for me), I'm also trying to get into some bands/albums from this very informative "Norwegian death metal" thread - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101846
At first, all the bands'/albums' styles from that thread seemed too extreme for me, but I've discovered an amazing band Fester and I love their first two albums. Plus this *more atmospheric and dark, and less fast tempo and brutal* characteristic looks promising and it's much closer to my tastes in metal music, so I think I just need to discover some *moderately extreme* Norwegian death, death/black, and black/death metal bands and to give them a try:
CF_Mono wrote:
To say that NDM is a bad Swedish death metal ripoff would be very uninformed. This thread has proven that there are plenty of diverse examples in the scene (even if they are more recent.) The reason many of them didn't sound like fast-paced brutal dismember clones is because they were aiming for something clearly more atmospheric and dark

Last edited by sjal on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:31 am 

Well I try to avoid sketchy artistst so probably Sweden? I think they’re the best bet there.

Can't tell collapse that it needs to slow down.
Can't tell death that it shouldn't come around.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:48 pm 

Most of the bands I listen to are already from Finland, so I'll just go with that.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:23 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Yeah, I didn't realize that myself for longer than I'd want to admit. Even though it does have its own scenes and characteristics, there is something musically in kind with the Scandinavian countries that Finland seems to share with them and differentiates them as a group from the other European countries, and it's tricky to say exactly what it is.

This is what you're looking for:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_countries

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:22 pm 

Yeah, that's true. It also includes Iceland though, which has a pretty tiny metal scene. A few great non-metal artists at least. It still doesn't musically notate what exactly it is that makes the rest of that area different though. And Denmark's volume of artists is far lower than the other three, though the ones they do have tend to be pretty fantastic.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:31 pm 

Doesn't Finland have a program for getting children playing instruments? More musical projects per capita will surely help.

Also, the Icelandic metal scene is huge if you take into consideration there are only 364.134 Icelanders.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:00 pm 

As much the Norwegian Black Metal scene shaped a lot of my teenage/young adult years, Sweden was always first for me. Entombed was still my first and favourite band. So many Swedish bands in my collection and honestly probably make up a good 65-70% of my collection. Armagedda, Runemagick, Sacramentum, Katatonia, Dissection, Unanimated, Edge of Sanity, Dismember, Grave, At The Gates, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Setherial, Nirvana 2002, 122 Stab Wounds, Hypocrisy, Bathory, Throne of Ahaz, Naglfar, Thyrfing, Hypnosia, old Amon Amarth, this list just goes on and on... I mean don’t get me wrong Finland and Norway are very high on my list but it’s just overwhelming how many Swedish bands are in my collection and have impacted me.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:09 pm 

Frostheimr wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

I think I knew that but forgot.

But I think I've heard some people refer to Finland as part of Scandinavia so maybe they just made a mistake.

I guess they count as a Nordic country right?

I'm not sure I know the reason why they aren't considered Scandinavian, which i feel I should since I was reading up on their history lately.

But aside from that, I do know that the Finnish language, along with Basque and Hungarian, is one of only 3 languages in the world that doesn't actually belong to a consistent linguistic family.

I remember learning that from a professor when i was in grad school.

Anyone know why there aren't more Danish metal bands?

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:16 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Frostheimr wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

But I think I've heard some people refer to Finland as part of Scandinavia so maybe they just made a mistake.

I'm not sure I know the reason why they aren't considered Scandinavian, which i feel I should since I was reading up on their history lately.

But aside from that, I do know that the Finnish language, along with Basque and Hungarian, is one of only 3 languages in the world that doesn't actually belong to a consistent linguistic family.

If I recall correctly, they aren't geographically a Scandinavian country but socially they are considered one, if that makes any sense.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:50 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Frostheimr wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

Anyone know why there aren't more Danish metal bands?

Finnish and Hungarian are related to each other (and Finnish is also most closely related to Estonian), they're in the Finno-Ugric branch of the Uralic family of languages and related to a bunch of languages spoken in Russia (like Mari, Udmurt, Nenets, Selkup, the Sami languages etc.). Basque is the only language isolate spoken in Europe.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:05 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

It's because of the Scandes.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:00 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Doesn't Finland have a program for getting children playing instruments?

If we are to trust musician biographies, then yes, actually getting to play an instrument as part of your general secondary school curriculum is/was a thing at least in several places at several points in time.

I don't even know if non-musician Finns exist at all :)

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:41 am 

interstellar_medium wrote:

we do :ugh:

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:22 am 

Gunther_N_T wrote:
Easily Sweden, for the reasons below:

Abba, Bathory, Grave, Dissection, Dismember, Bloodbath, Unleashed, Vomitory, Entombed, Lik, Entrails, Carnal Forge, Dimension Zero, Svartkonst, Necrophobic, Astrophobos, Nasum.

Love how you casually include ABBA among all the black and death metal. :)

Great band!
Metal Archives resident goat fucker. Since adopting the name InnesI online I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, neoliberal, boot licker and verbal masturbator! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:11 am 

joppek wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:

we do :ugh:

:metal:

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:52 am 

Finnish black metal is my absolute favourite, so there you go.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:26 pm 

Finnish and Hungarian are related to each other (and Finnish is also most closely related to Estonian), they're in the Finno-Ugric branch of the Uralic family of languages and related to a bunch of languages spoken in Russia (like Mari, Udmurt, Nenets, Selkup, the Sami languages etc.). Basque is the only language isolate spoken in Europe.[/quote]

Hmm, I was told that none of these 3 languages are part of any particular language group by a VERY intelligent linguistics teacher i had, so either I'm understanding him differently or you are incorrect.

I'm not saying their might not be a shred of truth to what you are saying, but this was told to me but 2 separate professors, one linguistics and one English professor, so I have a hard time believing that they are wrong.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:36 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Quote:
Finnish and Hungarian are related to each other (and Finnish is also most closely related to Estonian), they're in the Finno-Ugric branch of the Uralic family of languages and related to a bunch of languages spoken in Russia (like Mari, Udmurt, Nenets, Selkup, the Sami languages etc.). Basque is the only language isolate spoken in Europe.

Hmm, I was told that none of these 3 languages are part of any particular language group by a VERY intelligent linguistics teacher i had, so either I'm understanding him differently or you are incorrect.

I'm not saying their might not be a shred of truth to what you are saying, but this was told to me but 2 separate professors, one linguistics and one English professor, so I have a hard time believing that they are wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uralic_languages

You can look it up on Wikipedia. Your linguisitics professor doesn't seem very reputable if he's saying Finnish and Hungarian are both language isolates, since it's a commonly accepted grouping by most reputable linguists as far as I know. Maybe he was trying to say that those three languages are the only three languages indigenous to Europe (not including Russia, as it's the family's Urheimat) that are not from the Indo-European language family? That would be more or less correct, although if you also count Maltese (which is an Afro-Asiatic language from the Semitic branch, having evolved from an Arabic dialect) there are actually four non-Indo-European languages indigenous to Europe. But Basque is the only language out of the three that you mentioned that is a true language isolate (in the sense that there are no other living languages spoken that are related to it, there may have been other languages related to it in the distant past that simply died off).

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:47 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uralic_languages

You can look it up on Wikipedia. Your linguisitics professor doesn't seem very reputable if he's saying Finnish and Hungarian are both language isolates, since it's a commonly accepted grouping by most reputable linguists as far as I know. Maybe he was trying to say that those three languages are the only three languages indigenous to Europe (not including Russia, as it's the family's Urheimat) that are not from the Indo-European language family? That would be more or less correct, although if you also count Maltese (which is an Afro-Asiatic language from the Semitic branch, having evolved from an Arabic dialect) there are actually four non-Indo-European languages indigenous to Europe. But Basque is the only language out of the three that you mentioned that is a true language isolate (in the sense that there are no other living languages spoken that are related to it, there may have been other languages related to it in the distant past that simply died off).

Actually now that I'm remembering it I don't think it was my linguistics professor who said it, just the one English professor, but he was a pretty intelligent guy, i mean this was graduate school. I don't know if he meant something different, but I assume he must have been saying something based in reality, but maybe he didn't mean what it sounded like he meant. I can definitely tell you that my linguistics professor was beyond reputable, but I actually don't think I ever asked him that question but rather just told him that the other professor had said it and wasn't sure if he had said he'd agreed or not. I guess I could be wrong, but Finnish does seem unusual and fairly different as far as languages go. But the one professor may have been trying to say what you are about those 3 languages being the only ones indigenous to Europe. It was many years ago so I'm not sure.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:25 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I guess I could be wrong, but Finnish does seem unusual and fairly different as far as languages go.

Only because it's not Indo-European and a native speaker of English can't thus really pick up familiar cognates. As Kalaratri said, it is quite similar to Estonian and the Karelian dialects. Once you look "under the hood", you'll see that Hungarian and the "Volga Finns" languages work very much the same, though the vocabulary looks very very different due to historical/geographical factors.

...and then JRRT took Finnish and built Quenya on similar principles :)

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 pm 

Is there any way to turn this thread into a poll?

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:36 am 

Sweden pretty easily. Candlemass, Bathory and Celtic Frost are unbeatable classics. Wouldn't want to lose out on Naglfar either.

Norway is probably second for a lot of second wave BM bands, and Finland a distant third.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:14 am 

VaderCrush wrote:
Sweden ... Celtic Frost ...

Ouch!

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:36 am 

Opus wrote:
VaderCrush wrote:
Sweden ... Celtic Frost ...

Ouch!

I scowl and rage on behalf of my country. There aren't many Swiss bands I'm willing to do that for, but this is a no-brainer.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next