Finland 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Norway 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Sweden 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:46 am 

As these 3 countries have huge (and very distinct) metal scenes, so to speak.

Last edited by Thexhumed on Sat May 15, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 am 

Sweden by a good margin, then Finland and I've never been that big in the Norway bands with a few exceptions.

Mostly a BM fan, and usually 'Norway is home to BM' but I've always liked the Swedish BM bands a lot more.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:05 am 

I’m gonna go with Sweden too. Just the sheer bulk of music and bands not to mention some of my favourite albums of all time are Swedish.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:18 am 

Finland, as Children of Bodom are one of my favourite bands, and I wouldn't want to do without their catalogue (particularly the early stuff). The likes of Sentenced, Kalmah, Swallow the Sun, Stratovarius, Battle Beast, Amorphis etc also sway it in their favour. I feel the Finns have a way with melodies that is just magical.

I'd be sad to lose the likes of Dismember, Hammerfall and Hypocrisy, but what can you do?

Norway is a distant third.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:19 am 

Sweden, just because of A Canorous Quintet's 'Silence of the world beyond' and Hypocrisy's 'The 4th dimension'.
But then again, Finland because of Sentenced's 'North From Here' and 'Amok', Demigod's 'Slumber of sullen eyes' and mighty Skepticism.
But wait, maybe Norway, just because of Atrox, Bloodthorn and Shaarimoth...

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:47 am 

It's like choosing between three children, those countries have done so much for metal as whole :lol:

I'll probably pick Norway because of my undying love for the second wave BM and the sheer strenght of Enslaved's later output.
However losing Sweden means losing Bathory, Dissection, my beloved Melodic Death metal and great bands like Lake of Tears and Tiamat
I tought Finland would hurt less, but losing gems like the early works of Amorphis, Sentenced's Amok and Demilich it's painful :(

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:56 am 

If we are talking about strictly metal it's easily Sweden for me. However, if we include all music then it gets trickier and I might change my answer to Norway.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:16 am 

Probably Norway, not a great fan of Swedish and Finish metal tbh.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:26 am 

Sweden, hands down. Power, black, death, gothic, melodic death, progressive, progressive death, hardcore, punk, grind - the place is a well of gold. Finland is fantastic and Norway is personal for me since I have lots of family that live / have lived there but I have to be real here. The Swedes are masters for a reason. Finland would be right behind them for me in this conversation but in choosing one this is a no brainer.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 am 

I listen mostly to black metal and obviously all three are very important to the genre. However, in case of Sweden I listen to not all its biggest bands, for example, I'm not a big fan of Marduk, Dark Funeral and their similar bands. I'm also not a very big fan of Dissection and its followers. My most favorite BM related acts of Sweden are Bathory and Shining. The Norwegian 2nd wave BM scene is my favorite alongside with the Finnish scene, they are about the same important for me. The likes of Burzum, Darkthrone, Mayhem vs the likes of Horna, Behexen, Sargeist is a tough call. I'd probably go with Finland, cause music-wise all those bands are stellar, but the Finnish bands also bring live shows.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:03 am 

Well, if we're talking strictly metal and not djent or whatever (because, if we were, then Sweden would be my pick by a fucking mile), then definitely Norway. I could survive off the classic black metal albums for long periods of time with no problem. No Dissection unfortunately, but that's a worthy sacrifice for all the great shit I'd be able to still listen to.

There's not too many Finnish bands I listen to tbh. Horna, recently Havukruunu, Children of Bodom way back when. But that's about it.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 am 

Since I've made my "top 30 releases of all time - list" earlier this year and can compare the respective number of bands representing their country of origin, it's clearly Norway to me. If I remember correctly, it's 7 Norwegian releases and 4 each from Finland and Sweden.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:48 am 

Sweden. Total no brainer. Because Bathory, Dissection, At The Gates, Watain, Dawn, Necrophobic, Entombed, Dismember, Grave, Edge of Sanity, Nasum, Anti Cimex and the mighty Heavy Load all come from there! Nuff said.

Last edited by MetlaNZ on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:02 am 

The Swedish death and death/doom metal scenes are definitely the most important for me because they were my gateway to more extreme metal music, and even though I don't listen to these bands as often as I used to, I still very much enjoy most of them (Edge of Sanity, Opeth, October Tide, Katatonia..,) and consider them all-time favorites.
Finnish black/death/doom metal scene is my current favorite and I listen to some bands (Shape of Despair, Dolorian, Desolate Shrine..,) very often these days.
As for Norway, I am not a fan of any band/project from this country but I enjoy some Norwegian black metal-inspired bands/projects from other countries.

Last edited by sjal on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:13 am 

Sweden, and it's not close at all. From "softer" stuff like Drain s.t.h. to harder stuff like Aeon, Swedish has everything in-between covered as well. Avant-garde like Pan.Thy.Monium, black like Dissection, D-beat/crust punk like Disfear, death like Bloodbath, doom like Candlemass, gothic like Tiamat, grind like General Surgery, hard/alternative like All Ends, industrial like The Project Hate MCMXCIX, classic melodeath like At The Gates, modern melodeath like Scar Symmetry, neoclassical like Yngwie Malmsteen, post-metal like Cult of Luna, power like Amaran, prog like Evergrey, prog death like Edge of Sanity, stoner like Spiritual Beggars, symphonic like Therion, tech death like Spawn of Possession, thrash like Darkane. And this doesn't even count some of my multi-subgenre absolute favorites like Opeth, Katatonia, Draconian, Nightingale and others, plus lots of great stuff unrelated to metal like the Esbjorn Svensson Trio, Kaipa, Raison d'Etre, Millencolin, Pineforest Crunch, Kent, Anglagard, Wasted Penguinz, etc.

Last edited by LithoJazzoSphere on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 am 

I decided to make a list with the bands I like from each country to see if my perception about Norway being way better than the other too was realistic and this was the result.

Spoiler: show
Finland:
Celestial Grave
Devouring Star
Oranssi Pazuzu
Rahu
Desolate Shrine
Swallowed

Norway:
Enevelde
Enslaved
Knokkelklang
Mare
Misotheist
One Tail, One Head
Ulver
Obliteration
Sepulcher

Sweden:
Jordablod
Sweven/Morbus Chron
Cult of Luna

I was surprised to find I actually like very few bands from the three countries. I can't even think of Swedish metal bands I enjoy besides Jordablod, Sweven and maybe Opeth and Tribulation (I don't consider myself a fan of these last two because I don't enjoy all their albums). I'm also not really into any of the more predominant scenes from either of the countries other than the obvious Trondheim black metal scene.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:28 am 

Not an easy choice. My main genre is black metal, and three of these Nordic countries have great (and distinct) contribution to the musical style. I think by number of albums I listen to regularly, Norway would win, but Sweden have Bathory. I can't imagine never listening to Bathory.

I would have to go with Norway. The sheer number of bands that just nail that black metal feeling is still an amazing thing to me. I have listened to bm for many years now, and I'm still finding new bands even from the 90s that end up rocking my world.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:42 am 

Ahhh, this question makes me want to pull my hair out of my head (and I don't have much left to pull as it is).

I think I'm going to go with Sweden just because Opeth from My Arms-Ghost Reveries is one of my favourite bands of all time. I would also get to keep all the melodic death metal records i fell in love with in the late 90s/early 2000s. (Amon, Arch Enemy, DT, In Flames, At The Gates). Many of those bands aren't great anymore, but their early material is vital for me.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:44 am 

Sweden by a pretty big margin. Just such a large number of notable bands from there.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am 

For most bands from those three countries that I like I could think of a replacement from outside those three countries to feed the craving for their kind of sound. Dolorian and Skepticism are a bit difficult though. Then again Abruptum and Molested aren't easy to substitute either, but I think the uniquely life-sucking Finnish doom thing would be the hardest to not have.

Which is funny because when I first started to think about it I first thought Finland would be the easiest to substitute because I pretty much like Biolich as much as Demilich.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:58 am 

I could live without all of them except Yngwie and Candlemass.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:00 am 

Sweden for sure. Swedish death metal rules supreme!

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:43 am 

I only really care for DM and BM,so with that said, Sweden easily...but just due to the fact that an amount of bands and a sheer number of quality albums to choose from far exceeds other two. Norway would be in a 2d place with a very heavy BM representation. And Finland a distant 3d, because I absolutely can not stand their brand of melodic DM and I wish they stayed true to the once awesome scene of OSDM when Demigod, early Amorphis, Demilich, Adramelech, Purtenance, and many others ruled the scene. In fact, I used to love Finnish DM of 90s more that Swedish one.

Recordcollector
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:19 am 

Norway. Lot of bm releases from the 90's + a few good dm releases.
Second will be Sweden, most for the early dm bands, but also some good bm from mid 90's.
Finland have some good bands like early albums from Amorphis, Impaled Nazarene and Beherit, but I'm not too familiar with anything else from Finland.

Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:21 pm 

As a mainly black metal listener Finland is a hard last since it's ground zero for bottom of the barrel fascist trash. They did have Beherit though I guess.

Guess I'll go with Norway at 1 since Darkthrone but Sweden is pretty cool too.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:30 pm 

Candlemass alone is enough to get me to say Sweden.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:00 pm 

I'd say its tough to choose between Finland and Norway. I probably like more Norwegian artists than Finnish, but I feel like the Finnish bands I do like I spin more regularly.

Doing this however made me realize that even though I love artists from all over the globe, the vast majority of my favorite artists are from the United States. Im not sure if thats a bias because of the fact that I live in the U.S. so its more likely I discover these artists but in general most of my favorites come from the states.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:30 pm 

Sweden, easily. Bathory is one of my favorite bands of all time, and Candlemass and Dissection are enough to place it well over Norway. I haven’t followed them as much recently, but Amon Amarth were such an important band for me during high school.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:34 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Doing this however made me realize that even though I love artists from all over the globe, the vast majority of my favorite artists are from the United States. Im not sure if thats a bias because of the fact that I live in the U.S. so its more likely I discover these artists but in general most of my favorites come from the states.

I'm sure in raw numbers I like more artists from the US since I'm also based there, but as you go up my favorites hierarchy a lot of other countries start gaining, and especially when you adjust for population size it's absurd, because the US has more than 30x more than as many people as Sweden, and probably 50x more than Finland and Norway. The fact that it's even close given the vast disparity in proportionality is really telling.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:54 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I could live without all of them except Yngwie and Candlemass.

Candlemass! I hang my head in shame to have not had them in my list. Sweden take it out!

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:58 pm 

Entombed, Dismember, Carnage, Unleashed, Grave, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Unanimated, At the Gates, Soilwork, Edge of Sanity, Bathory, Dissection, Dawn, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Opeth, Candlemass, Meshuggah, like that's just off the top of my head, and I'm sure others could come up with more than me!

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:38 pm 

Sweden, no question. I love Darkthrone, Windir/Vreid, and Immortal, but Sweden has Candlemass and Bathory among countless others, so they win.

Aside from Havukruunu and Oranssi Pazuzu, all you're missing out on by giving up Finland as far as black metal goes is a fuckton of NSBM, but they're also home to Reverend Bizarre, one of my all-time favorite doom metal bands. Sweden still wins by a hair.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:49 pm 

Inkshooter wrote:
Aside from Havukruunu and Oranssi Pazuzu, all you're missing out on by giving up Finland is a fuckton of NSBM.

Uhhh, no? Demilich, Abhorrence, Xysma, Amorphis, Colosseum, Solothus, Wormphlegm, Tyranny, Profetus, Hooded Menace, Moonsorrow, Skepticism, Thergothon are just a handful of Finnish bands off the top of my head I wouldn't want to live without. Yes, there's a lamentable amount of NSBM that comes from Finland, but writing off the vast majority of the country's metal output because of that is doing yourself a great disservice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:51 pm 

I'd take Finland just for Excalion, Marco Hietala's works, Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica, but there's plenty of other cool stuff from there too. Sweden has a lot of great melodic metal and DM too, so that's up there. I guess I don't listen to that much from Norway these days.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:05 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Uhhh, no?

Yeah looks like the take was so dangerously hot it required a tactical edit to cool it down, which just leaves me with Beherit who have always been the only black metal band from Finland I love anyway. Never liked any of the shit No Colours was pushing around the turn of the century (from Finland or elsewhere), and Impaled Nazarene is more of a black metal S.O.D. that you only pull out when you're drunk enough to have difficulty keeping your balance.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:56 pm 

As much as I love Sweden's death and black metal scenes and Finland's amazing power metal, I gotta give it to Norway. The insane variation and high quality among Enslaved, Keldian, Vreid, Windir, Ulver, Kvelerak, Excecration, and Borkanagar is astounding. Hell, I could listen to just those bands, not even their side projects, for the rest of my life and be happy.

Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Inkshooter wrote:
Aside from Havukruunu and Oranssi Pazuzu, all you're missing out on by giving up Finland is a fuckton of NSBM.

Uhhh, no? Demilich, Abhorrence, Xysma, Amorphis, Colosseum, Solothus, Wormphlegm, Tyranny, Profetus, Hooded Menace, Moonsorrow, Skepticism, Thergothon are just a handful of Finnish bands off the top of my head I wouldn't want to live without. Yes, there's a lamentable amount of NSBM that comes from Finland, but writing off the vast majority of the country's metal output because of that is doing yourself a great disservice.

Fyi some stuff's come out about Moonsorrow over the years to the point that I think it's safe to call them NS (being extremely close friends with an explicit NSBM band). Someone here probably has different standards than me, but imo if you're close enough friends to constantly tour with an NS band and call them soulmates then you're definitely a nazi too albeit a mask-on one.

There are some pretty good non NS bands from Finland though yeah, the point the other person made was that the black metal scene specifically is majority NS.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 pm 

Please let us keep all politics out of the thread.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 pm 

Gameofmetal wrote:
Razakel wrote:
Inkshooter wrote:

Fyi some stuff's come out about Moonsorrow over the years to the point that I think it's safe to call them NS (being extremely close friends with an explicit NSBM band). Someone here probably has different standards than me, but imo if you're close enough friends to constantly tour with an NS band and call them soulmates then you're definitely a nazi too albeit a mask-on one.

There are some pretty good non NS bands from Finland though yeah, the point the other person made was that the black metal scene specifically is majority NS.

Proof? There’s nothing NS about Moonsorrow. NSBM isn’t “tenuous affiliations with people with dubious politics”. NSBM is Black Metal that advocates National socialist dogma and beliefs. Moonsorrow has done absolutely none of that. I’m all for saying fuck you to Nazis but this is getting ri-goddamn-diculous.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:13 pm 

Definitely Sweden, because the buzz saw guitar tone bands and At the Gates.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next