Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:38 am 

Just shows you the brilliance of the media. Half of the stories state that he was 34 and the Guardian has Power Trip as a band very influenced by hardcore music. They must know the guy who posted here that Pantera is hardcore. Just the same, it's pretty cool a little known metal band has a full story in the Guardian. Little known to the non-metal world, just to clarify. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/26/riley-gale-frontman-with-thrash-metal-band-power-trip-dies

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:52 am 

Never got into the band, but it's cool to see all these veteran thrash bands (Overkill, Exodus, Kreator, etc.) paying tribute to him.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:43 am 

Damn what sad news, he was an awesome vocalist and had great stage presence. He seemed like a pretty cool guy too. Condolences to his family and friends.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:57 am 

This video of him and them is really fun (and sounds great too).

https://youtu.be/RyNnleNxDIE

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:58 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
Just shows you the brilliance of the media. Half of the stories state that he was 34 and the Guardian has Power Trip as a band very influenced by hardcore music. They must know the guy who posted here that Pantera is hardcore. Just the same, it's pretty cool a little known metal band has a full story in the Guardian. Little known to the non-metal world, just to clarify. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/26/riley-gale-frontman-with-thrash-metal-band-power-trip-dies

Dude watch (and listen) to the video above, Power Trip are massively influenced by Hardcore and there ain’t nuthin wrong with that, in fact it’s what gives them an edge. RIP Riley, gone too soon.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:04 pm 

Yeah, the hardcore influence in Power Trip's music is pretty clear. There's a reason "Crossover" is one of the genres listed on their M-A page. They also played with hardcore bands constantly, and have clearly inspired a small wave of modern hardcore-influenced crossover thrash bands (Drain, Mindforce, etc.). They're a big band with both metalheads and hardcore kids. Not a bad thing.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:19 pm 

Well damn that sucks. One of my favorite newer bands and a great live show. Caught them twice and they were great. RIP dude.

asmfc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:58 pm 

I just showed them to a colleague of mine and he was impressed and said "well they sound like the old bands" and I told him to look out for them because they are going to get big. Unfortunately probably not anymore. RIP and keep on thrashing

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:27 pm 

asmfc wrote:
I just showed them to a colleague of mine and he was impressed and said "well they sound like the old bands" and I told him to look out for them because they are going to get big. Unfortunately probably not anymore. RIP and keep on thrashing

It's kind of soon to be talking about the future of the band since Riley just passed away two days ago, but I do wish them luck and hope that they will keep on going. I love the work of Riley, but let's give credit to the other guys for writing and recording some of the best thrash metal in the last 3 decades.

May Riley Rest in Power, and condolances and full support to the other guys from Power Trip.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:42 pm 

I hope they keep it up too, its hard to replace a vocalist sometimes but I wish them the best.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:40 pm 

Damnit, I was moshing and air-guitaring round the house to 'Nightmare logic' just a couple of days ago, thinking that maybe I had a newfound appreciation for it...
35, that sucks really badly. RIP :(

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:54 pm 

I am very sad to hear that Riley Gale has died. Power Trip are one of my favourite bands of the last few years. I absolutely loved Nightmare Logic and I still listen to it often. I was lucky enough to see them supporting Trivium here in London a couple of years ago. The mosh pit during their set was so intense the band had to stop playing twice because people were just losing their fucking minds to the music! Despite the interruptions, they were awesome and Riley was a commanding presence throughout.

I was really looking forward to seeing them again with Lamb of God and Kreator next year and also eagerly awaiting their next record. I don’t know how far the band got into the recording process before Riley’s death but I hope that the band can come through this and continue without him. I just hope they allow themselves enough time to grieve and don’t rush into making decisions about their future. I’ll be blasting Nightmare Logic for the nth time tonight. RIP Riley.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:01 pm 

eh.

Last edited by ~Guest 2944 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:25 pm 

last_eulogy wrote:
I have nothing against hardcore. Been to quite a few hardcore shows in NY and NJ. Just never heard any hardcore in them. Just don't try and tell me Hatebreed is hardcore. Saw those shitheads twice with other bands that I was actually there for.

:lol: if you can’t hear the similarities between Power Trip and Hatebreed, and how they fit into the hardcore scene, just turn in your ears and stop listening to music.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:30 pm 

Not an appropriate thread to go into the nuances of this or that style of music. Comparing Power Trip with Hatebreed is not the way to go. Only creates more of a mess than anything productive.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:20 pm 

last_eulogy wrote:
I have nothing against hardcore. Been to quite a few hardcore shows in NY and NJ. Just never heard any hardcore in them. Just don't try and tell me Hatebreed is hardcore. Saw those shitheads twice with other bands that I was actually there for.

I don't know what to tell you... They are part of the crossover scene with bands like Cro-Mags, Iron Reagan, D.R.I. or Municipal Waste. They definitely have hardcore elements in their music. And yes, Hatebreed is hardcore.

The journalistes did a pretty decent job, although Riley really was 35 and not 34.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:20 pm 

Fucking sucks, just jammed their early EP compilation the other day too. I just discovered these guys about 9 months ago and they are one of the only non old school Thrash bands I like.

This sucks beyond fucking belief. Hope they can continue but man, I dunno. They can take as much time as they need...

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:35 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
That's a terrible shame and the lack of any information on the cause of death makes me think that there's a tragedy behind it (or I am assuming the worst because of the year?).
well it's a tragedy regardless, but I don't think there's any background with substance abuse or depression (?) so I don't expect those

Sometimes young men (I mean, disproportionately men as far as I know) of this age simply go to bed and never wake up again. Most warning is a headache the evening before and an early night. Sudden arrhythmic (or adult) death syndrome. My childhood neighbour went this way about this age, very healthy fella.

If he's dead, they're going to announce it, even if the cause of death isn't yet known. And sometimes people of his age get "natural causes" on their death certificate.

Incredibly sad whatever though

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:56 pm 

I don't know why, but the first thing I thought when I read it last night was an auto accident. I just had a feeling. I found myself listening to the Power Trip albums last night and today and thinking about his parents and his family. I could never even begin to imagine what they are experiencing right now. I hope one day they will get around to reading all the comments and messages posted all over social media/message boards/comment sections of how loved and respected their son is.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:18 pm 

Can't believe this news. I saw them on their Australian tour in 2018. They must not have realised how popular they were because they'd booked a pretty small venue in Melbourne for two nights, both shows sold out really fast. After the show my brother and I played pool with the dudes in the band, and talked with Riley. They were all so cool and friendly, the whole time I was thinking, 'This is awesome!!!' We still regularly talk about what a great night that was.

If you haven't watched their Amoeba records 'What's in my bag' episode I really recommend it. Riley comes across as such a relaxed, cool, nice guy. All those dudes must be devestated now.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:04 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
Sometimes young men (I mean, disproportionately men as far as I know) of this age simply go to bed and never wake up again. Most warning is a headache the evening before and an early night. Sudden arrhythmic (or adult) death syndrome. My childhood neighbour went this way about this age, very healthy fella. If he's dead, they're going to announce it, even if the cause of death isn't yet known. And sometimes people of his age get "natural causes" on their death certificate.

At least in the US, pretty much the only time a cause of death isn't revealed for a well-known person is when it's overdose or suicide.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 am 

Damn, sad news...

Was lucky to catch Power Trip in Australia. They were fantastic live and Riley was awesome at the front. Tons of energy on the stage.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:05 am 

Fox News did a little tribute for him.

As for me, I'm absolutely fucking shocked and still can't believe it's real. I was lucky enough to see him 4 times live, the first is where I ended up with a scar on my head during their set on that first breakthrough tour with Lamb of God, Anthrax, and Deafheaven, all the bands joined up for an S.O.D. cover of United Forces and fucking Riley STILL stood out among all those people on stage. These guys were honestly on their way to become the next Metallica and I've been waiting for their followup to Nightmare Logic. I would completely understand if they decide to call it quits, he was more than just a vocalist.

I'll never forget them blistering through a set opening for Exodus and Obituary, half the crowd was shocked at the other half stirring up violent pits, the old school thrash fans were caught completely off guard since they don't listen to any band formed after 1990, and during one of their last breaks in between songs, everyone is trying to catch their breath and get closer to the stage, and after nearly a minute of silence from Power Trip, Riley grabs the mic and shouts, "FIRING SQUAD" and everyone that's been waiting for that song enters the pit. Absolute madness that still gives me chills.

Rest in fucking power, Riley.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:51 am 

Riley Gale really had a way with whatever crowd he has to work with. I've seen them both as a main act (w/ Drain) and a supporting act (w/ Gatecreeper and Cannibal Corpse). As a main act, he'd really get the crowd moving. Probably one of the most violent shows I've ever been to. As a supporting act, almost no one knew who they were but they kicked the doors open and shoved a boot down their throats. By the end of the set, the whole crowd converted into Power Trip fans. I've never seen anyone steal a show away from bigger acts as much as Power Trip did.

Just finished watching their Bloodstock 2018 set. His presence was infectious as hell.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:55 am 

Hindsight is always 20/20, even when responding to others and you were the only one corrected

Last edited by ~Guest 2944 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
agent_fist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:30 am 

last_eulogy wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
last_eulogy wrote:
And yes, Hatebreed is hardcore.

Guess I didn't stay around long enough at their show. When they came onstage the singer got the crowd going on a yo, yo, yo chant. He then went on a mini rant about how old the band was and what a hard motherfucker he was. I walked out before they finished their first song. Guess I didn't stay around long enough for the hardcore part. I wonder if hanging out on the mean streets of Bridgeport, Connecticut, is what made him such a hard motherfucker?

Wrong thread for this, thanks.

I hope his family & band have the space and resources they need to heal. I actually heard his ripping guest spot with Body Count before I heard the main band.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 am 

TheMysticWombat wrote:

I'm not a Fox News or Gutfield fan, but this tribute was all class.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:34 am 

Yeah, that's the type of guy Riley was, it seems. Need more people like him in the world.

overkill1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:12 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
TheMysticWombat wrote:

I will be perfectly honest, when I first saw that article pop up on Twitter and just saw the screenshot of it, I thought it was an Onion article. Now, I know nothing about mainstream media to preface this. I don't watch Fox, CNN,.... hell, I don't watch TV at all unless it has to do with stand up comedy, Family Guy, South Park, ect. Anyways, I refused to believe that anyone from Fox News even knew who or what Power Trip or Riley Gale was. I was sure that someone mocked up a Fox article under the premise of "this is what they should be talking about on the news". I was floored when it actually turned out to be legit. Don't judge a book by it's cover indeed.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:50 pm 

eh

Last edited by ~Guest 2944 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:46 pm 

last_eulogy wrote:
Quote:
Wrong thread for this, thanks.

I was responding to the other comments. Please see the rules about mini modding.

Non-mini mod here - can you please let it go? People are mourning here, it's not the time nor place for you to air your grievances about Hatebreed or hardcore.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 pm 

overkill1978 wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:
TheMysticWombat wrote:

I will be perfectly honest, when I first saw that article pop up on Twitter and just saw the screenshot of it, I thought it was an Onion article. Now, I know nothing about mainstream media to preface this. I don't watch Fox, CNN,.... hell, I don't watch TV at all unless it has to do with stand up comedy, Family Guy, South Park, ect. Anyways, I refused to believe that anyone from Fox News even knew who or what Power Trip or Riley Gale was. I was sure that someone mocked up a Fox article under the premise of "this is what they should be talking about on the news". I was floored when it actually turned out to be legit. Don't judge a book by it's cover indeed.

This isn't the first time metal was brought up on Fox. I remember back when Red Eye was on (and I think Gutfeld was doing it) they interviewed Phil McSorley from Cobalt when Gin came out. They sort of were playing the grrr metal angle but from what I remember it was a pretty normal interview. This was also years before Phil turned out to be a giant asshole.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:17 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:

It's nice to see metal get represented positively in the media for once.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:23 pm 

eh

Last edited by ~Guest 2944 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:10 pm 

I listened to nightmare logic, when it came out, and there was all the hype. I thought it was okay, but I didn’t “get” Power Trip until I saw them live. I went for the headliner, High on Fire, one of my all time favorite bands. They played a 2+ hour set, and were excellent, with a variety of songs, from throughout their career. Power Trip were right before them. I expected something kind of fun, maybe I might go in the circle pit. Instead, they vastly exceeded my expectations. High on Fire were great, and so were Power Trip, but with very different music. Their set wasn’t what I bought my ticket for, but even though I liked the headliner more, when they got off stage, I “got” Power Trip. I ended up going back and buying their albums. The actual music is pretty good, but to be a truly legendary band, you need to play with passion, with fury. And he had a lot of those, as well as being intelligent, on stage, and in interviews. Live performance is what made metal metal, I saw him once, but I’ll remember that set forever. The world needs more like Riley Gale.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 pm 

I don't care about the possibility of Power Trip vanishing from the scene. I think about the guy, he was only 34 years old. Such a terrible loss.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:57 am 

For anyone interested here's a tribute shirt approved by his family with all proceeds being donated to charity.

https://doyersfoo.bigcartel.com/product ... le-forever

untappd: patrick_g

overkill1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:10 am 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
For anyone interested here's a tribute shirt approved by his family with all proceeds being donated to charity.

That quote on the back of the shirt... the last thing he posted on Instagram before his death. RIP Riley. Gone way, way too soon.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:28 pm 

Street art in his honor in Brooklyn and Houston:
https://metalinjection.net/this-is-just ... yn-houston

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:04 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:

They are all sold out. I'd love to buy one whenever they have some more available!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next