Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
EEWTNKFilms
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:06 pm 

When it comes to the genre specification on a particular band's page, if it is a slash/hybrid genre, which is meant to be the "dominant" genre?

I'm using "Death/Thrash Metal" vs. "Thrash/Death Metal" as an example. Which one means "thrashy death metal" and which one means "thrash metal with death metal influences"? Or is it ambiguous and both mean basically the same thing so it's just determined by how the person who made the page was feeling at the time?

And yes I realize that "[genre] with [genre] influences" is also a thing on this site. I'm just simply trying to make it clear what slash genres mean exactly.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:24 pm 

its completely ambiguous for that scenario, but please keep site related questions to the appropriate sub-forum

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:14 pm 

"Death/Thrash Metal" means "thrashy death metal" and "Thrash/Death Metal" means "thrash metal with death metal influences". Or at least, that's usually how it works. For these two specific genres, I've seen both terms and others used interchangeably by many people (a lot of fans of the "deathrash" portmanteau out there).

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:02 pm 

It gets to be a point where it's just splitting hairs. They both are essentially the same, except you could maybe argue that if a band veers closer to traditional death metal then you might say "Thrash/death metal" as opposed to the other, but really, it makes such little difference it's hardly worth making the distinction.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:49 am 

They are the same to me.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:53 am 

In my opinion very few bands are consistent enough in their songwriting to be clearly definable as either thrashy death metal or deathy thrash metal specifically.
So the terms are interchangeable in the vast majority of cases, though in theory I guess there is a difference.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 pm 

The dividing line can be very blurry, but I guess the slight priority goes to the first genre listed. For example:

Death/Thrash = predominantly death but still with thrash features (e.g. Vader, The Crown, Hellwitch, Incubus)
Thrash/Death = predominantly thrash but occasionally verging into death (e.g. Protector, Dew-Scented, Mortification)

So each definition gives me a different idea of the style, but as you can see from the bands I listed there's not that much of a difference. I was ready to bet bands like Sepultura, Possessed and Sadus fell into the T/D category and was wrong, so I guess the D/T tag is just used more commonly.

It's the dawn of descending...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:05 pm 

i just call all these bands death/thrash, its not worth splitting hairs over.

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:51 pm 

I've rarely seen the term Thrash/death used, typically one hears it the other way. I've considered some of our work (Warbringer) "thrash/death" because it is basically a thrash band using some DM elements, rather than a DM band using thrash elements. (Lots of early DM, like say "The Ten Commandments" or "From Beyond" or "Leprosy" or maybe even "Consuming Impulse" falls into this category to some extent)

It's definitely basically interchangeable and only worth making a distinction about if you wanna get really specific about this particular realm of sound.

EEWTNKFilms
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:13 am 

Nice to see you here, Kevill. Weapons was tight as hell :horns:

I definitely see Death/Thrash more often, but I have seen Thrash/Death as well. I think there are distinctions to be made, but there is a lot of gray area. Sometimes it’s pretty clear, but a lot of times it’s justifiable either way. It doesn’t matter all too much, I was just curious if there was a rule on MA that I didn’t know about but it’s pretty clear at this point that it’s up to interpretation. As it turns out, the best way to know what a band’s sound is like is to (gasp) listen to them.

hellhammer6661
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:32 pm 

Thrash Death : I think in Vader and Malevolent Creation ( song example ´´ Bond Exposed´´)

Death Thrash : Holy Moses and.........It past a time I listen Kreator but is possible

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:23 pm 

This is a tricky one - I always associated "death/thrash" with the 80s Brazilian bands like Sarcofago, early Sepultura, Mutilator, Holocausto, Vulcano etc... And even shit like Possessed. Death/Thrash implies complete chaos in the musical structure, but the bands aren't "death metal" enough to be considered straight death metal, which to me is a genre that is very very structured.

Thrash/Death to me implies the opposite - Thrash bands that flirt with Death Metal themes, but are predominantly thrash.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:31 pm 

death/thrash is better, because then you can just call it "deathrash" which seems like a no-brainer to me. it even also spells "death rash" which is fun.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.