Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:34 am 

2021 is almost upon us. So what is everyone looking forward to next Year? For me, I eagerly await new albums from Moonspell. Scorpions, Epica, Korpiklaani and Agent Steel just to name a few.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:55 am 

The second full-length of Suffering Hour, if memory serves me right, it's called The Cycle of Reckoning. Their debut full-length was great, and the single-song EP Dwell upped the ante to a ridiculous extent. The band's instantly recognizable in terms of style (for me; bingeing on their work has helped with that for sure) and there's an unassailable substance to their hybrid of death metal and black metal.

That goes for Succumb too (more on the death metal side of things), another young band that released an amazing self-titled debut album.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:27 am 

The new Fear Factory is finally coming out. The re-release of The Indsutrialist with new drums and a new mix is possible too.

Tobi's been working on a new Avantasia album which he hopes to have out in 2021.

The new Iron Maiden has supposedly been in the can for a while now, so I expect that at some point.

I think Cradle of Filth is complete (or very close), so that'll be out next year.

Hypocrisy I hope. I thought it'd be out this year, surely it won't be put off for another 12 months.

Alexi has been writing material for Bodom After Midnight, in fact I think he was writing material shortly after Hexed was out, so there should be enough to get something released I think.

Obligatory non metal mention of Alice Cooper - last I heard, Detroit Stories is probably due in February.

Mille has been teasing new stuff from Kreator for a while now. Hopefully it'll be better than the last single they put out.

Ozzy is working with Andrew Watt on another album. I recently listened to Ordinary Man again, and it's not as bad as I remember it being, but I'd rather he collaborated with someone else on new material.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:34 am 

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, King Diamond and Mercyful Fate. Those are the biggest names. Solo albums by Dickinson and Iommi would be interesting. Triptykon and Sleep of Monsters too. Spiritus Mortis maybe releases something, at least I hope so. I've understood that they're working on something.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:36 am 

Kauan is releasing their new album in the spring of 2021. Anytime they release something, it's a contender for aoty. I'm very much looking forward to it. Also, new Omnium Gatherum and Insomnium EP. And, Evergrey are releasing a new one in 2021...not sure how they could top the last one, but here's to hoping!

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:55 am 

New Epica (Omega) - the first single is incredible, so very much looking forwards to the album !

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:58 am 

There are a lot of records I'm anticipating. I think the current situation with Covid-19 will almost certainly result in quicker turnaround times between album releases than usual with bands stuck at home not able to tour.

Unanimated's new album should be done by now, they started recording back in the middle of August and were targeting early 2021 for a release so I assume it'll be a January/February release. I know the Annihilation EP they put out a few years ago had a bit of a mixed reception, but I'm still confident they can deliver the goods with a new record. I'm hoping we get a new Sacramentum album next year, but with the recent lineup change (Tobias Kellgren replacing Nicklas Rudolfsson on drums) we might have to wait a while longer for that. I'm also actually interested in a new Dark Funeral album, since Where Shadows Forever Reign turned out to be a killer release.

Voivod and Coroner will hopefully both release new albums in 2021. I know Away confirmed Voivod are working on new material for a 2021 release. Coroner might be more wishful thinking although they've also stated they're hard at work on new material. They were supposed to release an album back in 2017 so we'll see how well that statement holds up.

We should get the first part of The Institute from King Diamond, which I'm really looking forward to. Hopefully, Mercyful Fate put out a new record too, although that might get pushed to 2022 depending on how things go.

Borknagar started writing for their new album. I don't know whether it'll be a 2021 release but here's hoping, True North was great so I'm really excited for the follow up. Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum both have new music scheduled for 2021 from the looks of things. I know Insomnium in particular demoed their new material during their last livestream and they mentioned a few days ago that they have studio time booked.

Witherfall have a new album scheduled for next year and just put out a teaser for the first single. Sanctuary likewise have new music in the works, although they're currently in the process of finding a new lead guitarist so it remains to be seen how soon they get a new album out.

As far as death metal is concerned, I'm looking forward to the new Asphyx album and Frozen Soul's debut. Blood Incantation are apparently working on some sort of ambient album/EP, and I have my fingers crossed that we get a new release from Spectral Voice in 2021. Other albums I'm anticipating are the debut Malignant Altar full length, the follow up to Gloomlord from Worm (who just signed to 20 Buck Spin), a new Temple of Void album, new albums from Grave Miasma and Cruciamentum, a new Obituary album and a possible new release from Autopsy.

For traditional heavy and speed metal, Bewitcher are releasing a new album next year and if rumors are true, Razor might put out a new album as well. The final Beastmaker album is probably going to be released in 2021.

Also, I just saw a post on Blut Aus Nord's Facebook page that they finished recording something new. I have no idea whether it's a Blut Aus Nord album or something to be released under one of Vindsval's other projects (maybe the first release for The Meditant, possibly Memoria Vetusta IV?). There will also be a new Wolves in the Throne Room album out in 2021.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:00 am 

Red_Death wrote:
The second full-length of Suffering Hour, if memory serves me right, it's called The Cycle of Reckoning. Their debut full-length was great, and the single-song EP Dwell upped the ante to a ridiculous extent. The band's instantly recognizable in terms of style (for me; bingeing on their work has helped with that for sure) and there's an unassailable substance to their hybrid of death metal and black metal.

That goes for Succumb too (more on the death metal side of things), another young band that released an amazing self-titled debut album.

Didn't Suffering Hour sign with Profound Lore recently? I remember something being posted on their Facebook page about a Fall 2020 release through the label (I think they actually started tracking the album back in 2019). I guess the pandemic must have messed up their plans.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:10 pm 

Not officially announced of course, and PROBABLY won't happen, but I'm really hoping Metallica buckles down and puts something out next year. Loved Death Magnetic (production issues aside), and loved Hardwired.

Really looking forward to the next Judas Priest album, as well.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:17 pm 

COF and Moonspell, and I'm also hoping for a new Ministry album. For non-metal, Deathstars and Gary Numan.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:18 pm 

Really excited for the upcoming album from The Body- I've Seen All I Need To See. Comes out January 29, and the first track is up on their Bandcamp and it sounds good: https://thebody.bandcamp.com/album/ive- ... eed-to-see

Even if these guys have some collabs that I haven't been as much into, their "solo" releases are generally fantastic, and it's always intriguing to see what direction they end up going in. I've liked the electronic/pop-influenced sludge of the past couple releases, but it seems like this upcoming album is going to go back to a more sludge/noise sound.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:58 pm 

Not metal, but I just found out Rob Zombie is going to put a new album next year: it will be called The Lunar Injection Kool Aid Eclipse Conspiracy, to be released on March 12.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:30 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Kauan is releasing their new album in the spring of 2021. Anytime they release something, it's a contender for aoty. I'm very much looking forward to it.

This is certainly the most anticipated album (a non-metal one, I guess) of 2021 for me, too!

Also, some less popular/less well known ones (I think I was the only MA user who voted for albums from these bands in the "Album of the Decade'' poll):

- the album "Dead End Euphoria" by Mourning Dawn (hopefully, in early 2021).
I love their album ''Les Sacrifiés'' - it has one of the most emotional vocal performances I've ever heard.

- and, of course, I'm looking forward to a new album by Desolate Shrine, - there is an announcement (on their Fecebook page) about their work on a new one.
I just can't get enough of their "boring" (i.e. neither very catchy/memorable nor extremely aggressive/chaotic/experimental) musical style, really.
I love how the music has that dark atmosphere interspersed with some dissonance and how the vocals sound quite inhuman, yet at the same time all their albums are still pretty accessible for me so I can enjoy the sound and the atmosphere without feeling of extreme fear/anxiety or any other very negative emotions.
It's about their last one, "Deliverance from the Godless Void", and it really works for me:
Yes, it calls sinister powers from the wells of Hell but somehow they do not show any sign of enmity towards you.

Last edited by sjal on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:31 pm 

sjal wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Kauan is releasing their new album in the spring of 2021. Anytime they release something, it's a contender for aoty. I'm very much looking forward to it.

This is certainly the most anticipated album (a non-metal one, I guess) of 2021 for me, too!

Didn't know they had a new one coming out ! thanks guys :D

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:34 pm 

Cannibal Corpse's new album is reportedly done and set for release sometime next year. Hopefully early in the year though there's no release date as of yet.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:50 pm 

Stargazer is the only album I have in my 2021 list so far.

Kalaratri wrote:
Red_Death wrote:

Didn't Suffering Hour sign with Profound Lore recently? I remember something being posted on their Facebook page about a Fall 2020 release through the label (I think they actually started tracking the album back in 2019). I guess the pandemic must have messed up their plans.

I didn't know they were recording new material. The LP and the EP were both great.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:59 pm 

Definitely looking forward to new stuff from Asphyx, Crystal Viper, Soen, Avantasia, Cradle of Filth, Septicflesh, Orden Ogan, and Moonspell.

lordcatfish wrote:
I think Cradle of Filth is complete (or very close), so that'll be out next year.

They're currently in the mastering process, if I recall. The last two albums were great, I'm hoping this one continues the trend. I remember being cautiously optimistic for "Cryptoriana" due to how good "Hammer of the Witches" was, and now... well, I'm just straight up optimistic regarding the next one I guess.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:03 pm 

Primordial
Wolves In The Throne Room
Asphyx
Godflesh
Tribulation
Deafheaven
Megadeth
Redemption
Terra Tenebrosa
Neurosis
Cradle of Filth
Virgin Steele
Mastodon
Symphony X
Anthrax
Helstar
Sanctuary
DoomSword
Solitude Aeturnus

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:33 pm 

Would be nice to get new albums from Destruktor and Abominator. I know they've been working on new stuff but that was all pre-COVID, so I'm not sure if we'll actually see new releases in 2021 or not. Other than that, new Cannibal Corpse is always welcome. I hate to say it but this could be one of the last albums we get from the CC guys, considering they're all in their 50s at this point I'm sure retirement is on their minds, not to mention the physical demands of playing death metal and touring probably don't get any easier with age.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:40 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Primordial
Asphyx
Godflesh
Tribulation
Deafheaven
Megadeth
Redemption
Terra Tenebrosa
Neurosis
Cradle of Filth
Virgin Steele
Mastodon
Symphony X
Anthrax
Helstar
Sanctuary
DoomSword
Solitude Aeturnus

Are all of this confirmed or just albums you'd like to be released?

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:10 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Primordial
Asphyx
Godflesh
Tribulation
Deafheaven
Megadeth
Redemption
Terra Tenebrosa
Neurosis
Cradle of Filth
Virgin Steele
Mastodon
Symphony X
Anthrax
Helstar
Sanctuary
DoomSword
Solitude Aeturnus

Some are either being recorded or in the really early stages of writing (Anthrax, Megadeth, Mastodon, Anthrax, Sanctuary, Helstar, Virgin Steele, Cradle of Filth, Symphony X, Primordial, Deafheaven, and Wolves In The Throne Room), some are already finished and have release dates (Asphyx, Tribulation) and some I haven't heard anything about (Godflesh, Neurosis, DoomSword, Solitude Aeternus, Terra Tenebrosa). I'm surprised Solitude Aeternus is even mentioned, aren't they split up? I thought Robert Lowe was busy focusing on Tyrant.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:12 pm 

Darkthrone are supposed to record their next album either end of this year or start of next year, so I would presume a 2021 release. Old Star was my favourite from them since Dark Thrones and Black Flags so I'm quite excited to hear where they go next.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:29 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Not officially announced of course, and PROBABLY won't happen, but I'm really hoping Metallica buckles down and puts something out next year. Loved Death Magnetic (production issues aside), and loved Hardwired.

I guarantee you that Metallica will reissue their eponymous record in 2021 in the same vein as their other box sets. It'll contain the rest of Live, Shit that wasn't part of the Justice box set.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:00 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Both. Each year I throw out into the universe my desire for a new Solitude Aeturnus record. It could happen, this year we got a new Psychotic Waltz. Anything's possible!

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:00 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Both. Each year I throw out into the universe my desire for a new Solitude Aeturnus record. It could happen, this year we got a new Psychotic Waltz. Anything's possible!

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't expecting a new Neurosis album and wasn't sure if it had already been confirmed (I'm not sure I want a new one to be completely honest).

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:56 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
jimbies wrote:

I guarantee you that Metallica will reissue their eponymous record in 2021 in the same vein as their other box sets. It'll contain the rest of Live, Shit that wasn't part of the Justice box set.

Oh, this is absolutely coming. The dude that runs the archives and works on the releases is very active on their message board.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:15 pm 

sjal wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Also, some less popular/less well known ones (I think I was the only MA user who voted for albums from these bands in the "Album of the Decade'' poll):

- the album "Dead End Euphoria" by Mourning Dawn (hopefully, in early 2021).
I love their album ''Les Sacrifiés'' - it has one of the most emotional vocal performances I've ever heard.

- and, of course, I'm looking forward to a new album by Desolate Shrine, - there is an announcement (on their Fecebook page) about their work on a new one.
I just can't get enough of their "boring" (i.e. neither very catchy/memorable nor extremely aggressive/chaotic/experimental) musical style, really.
I love how the music has that dark atmosphere interspersed with some dissonance and how the vocals sound quite inhuman, yet at the same time all their albums are still pretty accessible for me so I can enjoy the sound and the atmosphere without feeling of extreme fear/anxiety or any other very negative emotions.
It's about their last one, "Deliverance from the Godless Void", and it really works for me:
Yes, it calls sinister powers from the wells of Hell but somehow they do not show any sign of enmity towards you.

Checked out Mourning Dawn - Les Sacrifies and liked what I heard. But damn, the album is over 2 hours?!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:06 am 

Virgin Steele

They were suppose to put out a new record this year, but since it's already november I doubt it will happen. Still, do you seriously care at this point or is just a vague sense of curiousity? The last albums (including that boxset) weren't even close to decent quality. David DeFeis has totally lost it.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:53 am 

I am a huge fan of the band who has enjoyed them for years. The Marriage albums, Invictus, The HoA albums, Visions of Eden and even a hefty smattering of their early stuff, I love and keep in considerable rotation. I, like most fans was heavily disappointed by their recent releases but I also recognize DeFeis' talents for songwriting remain even in these new dire contraptions he calls songs. He's such a singular individual talent and those are kinda rare in power metal so yeah I am genuinely interested in something new from them.

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:10 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Definitely looking forward to new stuff from Asphyx, Crystal Viper, Soen, Avantasia, Cradle of Filth, Septicflesh, Orden Ogan, and Moonspell.

lordcatfish wrote:

They're currently in the mastering process, if I recall. The last two albums were great, I'm hoping this one continues the trend. I remember being cautiously optimistic for "Cryptoriana" due to how good "Hammer of the Witches" was, and now... well, I'm just straight up optimistic regarding the next one I guess.

Has the new Orden Ogan been pushed back to 2021? Last I'd heard it was coming out in November…

On my end, Maiden and Priest come to mind quickly, and Blind Guardian are supposed to release a new one, too!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:46 pm 

Definitely looking forward to new Asphyx and Tribulation. Both really knocked it out of the park on their previous album.
Can't say I'm on the beat for anything else coming out

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:13 pm 

Chastain
Cist
Dark Angel
Detherous
Exodus
Helstar
Morfin
Obsession
Ripper
Sacrifice
Schizophrenia

Also, although I doubt it will happen, it would be nice if Monstrosity put out a new album. Although with their history of going long in between albums, I don't see that happening.

Here's hoping for the best in 2021. If all of the above release albums in 2021, it'll be a good year.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:19 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

I didn't know about them signing with PL, but they had a post on the FB about the new earlier this year (what you're referring to). In fact, I'm looking at it right now and yeah, there's a Profound Lore logo there, I missed that.

Wombface
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:01 am 

Hoping for a new Saxon album in 2021 as well as the long awaited King Diamond album. The latest single was very promising. The one I'm probably looking the most forward to is the upcoming Grifteskymfning album which is supposedly an old one that was never released or completely recorded. The only single they've released so far is absolutely magnificent. Also very much anticipating the new Voivod and Omnium Gatherum album. Lastly, Labyrinth just released a single from their upcoming album and it's pretty decent :

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:08 pm 

sjal wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
the album "Dead End Euphoria" by Mourning Dawn (hopefully, in early 2021).

Checked out Mourning Dawn - Les Sacrifies and liked what I heard. But damn, the album is over 2 hours?!

Glad you liked it. :)
Sorry, I don't know what else to say here.
If you feel that the overall album length is too much for you, I don't think there is a need to force yourself to listen to both CDs in one go, especially considering that even the band advises to listen to the main CD "Les Sacrifiés" separately from the bonus CD "Ten Years of Mourning":
Quote:
please don't consider the 2nd disc as part of the album. It really is a bonus CD, with some re-worked old material for the 10th anniversary of the band.
It's not supposed to be listened to the same way as the first CD which is a real album with coherent song writing & production.

...but even if you decide to listen to it separately, I guess a ~ 70 minute album length can also be ''way too long'' for many listeners... I know, this kind of music can be too repetitive, and maybe it would be better if some songs were shorter, but I personally find this album quite interesting and diverse musically: there are many tempo changes, interesting drum playing and guitar riffs, and even some very beautiful guitar solos.
For me, personally, it's more of a difficulty that this band is very intense emotionally - and this is the main reason why I don't listen to their albums often (but it's always one of a kind experience when I do, - so, yes, despite the album length and its uneasy listening, ''Les Sacrifiés'' is still one of my all-time favorites).

Last edited by sjal on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:24 pm 

Both Briton Rites and Solstice have indicated via Bandcamp messages that new releases are in the works; both of which should see light of day in the next few months.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:23 pm 

Virgin Steele

Bwahahahahahahaha... I'm looking forward to never ever hearing a new Virgin Steele album. Every year.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:12 pm 

They can still put together a good ballad. This https://youtu.be/zHtLMmhYuAU and "Feral" from the last album prove there's some songwriting skill left within VS

Wombface
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:00 pm 

Also forgot the new Overkill album coming out in 2021. Always something to look forward to as well as a possible new Obituary album. We may also get lucky and get a new Threshold record although the guys don't seem to be in a rush to record new material after the release of their double album and how much of a success it was. At least, that's what I understood from what Karl told me after a show during the summer last year. Bet he would not have possibly conceived that a fucking pandemic would paralyse the whole world for more than a year.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:50 pm 

I can't believe I forgot Overkill on my list.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next