Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:01 am 

Mastodon's next album is rumored to be a double one titled "Hushed and Grim". Produced with David Bottrill who's worked with Dream Theater, King Crimson and Tool. The band is teasing sections of artwork on their socials but fans seem to have figured it out as there's full information out there already including an October release date.

Still waiting on a full announcement from the guys but in the meantime;
https://metalinjection.net/upcoming-rel ... d-and-grim

Last edited by Metal_On_The_Ascendant on Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:59 am 

Spoiler: show

“Hushed And Grim” Track Listing:

01. “Pain With An Anchor”
02. “The Crux”
03. “Sickle And Peace”
04. “More Than I Could Chew”
05. “The Beast”
06. “Skeleton Of Splendor”
07. “Teardrinker”
08. “Pushing The Tides”
09. “Peace And Tranquility”
10. “Dagger”
11. “Had It All”
12. “Savage Lands”
13. “Gobblers Of Dregs”
14. “Eyes Of Serpents”
15. “Gigantium”

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:11 pm 

Mastodon going full prog? Could be interesting.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:05 pm 

I'm certainly intrigued.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:35 pm 

motorsport wrote:
Mastodon going full prog?

Crack the Skye: 'Am I a fkn joke to u?'

Yes. Yes, you arrrre

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:42 pm 

I've lost all interest in this band after listening to the horrendous Blood Mountain. Simply terrible, especially with all the hype...
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:25 pm 

Floodland wrote:
I've lost all interest in this band after listening to the horrendous Blood Mountain. Simply terrible, especially with all the hype...

That's a really good album. The hell's wrong with you?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:27 pm 

Blood Mountain is the only thing I've liked from them actually - didn't like Leviathan, didn't like Crack the Skye. Maybe I should try some of the much later shit. A double album may at least be intriguing somehow.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:32 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Blood Mountain is the only thing I've liked from them actually - didn't like Leviathan, didn't like Crack the Skye. Maybe I should try some of the much later shit. A double album may at least be intriguing somehow.

Yeah I'm hoping this one is a good one. I like pretty much everything up to The Hunter but some more than others. Didn't really care for Crack the Skye and the recent albums are in a weird zone I just can't get into - they cut away the bombast and adventure I had become accustomed to.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:41 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Same here, i like Blood Mountain much more than the other albums: most of their late stuff didn't really click either, except for the Cold Dark Place Ep which impressed me a lot.
If the new material is of that caliber i'm surely interested

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:58 pm 

Blood Mountain's the only thing I've heard from them and it was very meh. Still interested in them and still interested in trying to figure out why so many people love 'em though. No luck so far unfortunately.

They have a lot of great album covers but this one isn't as eye catching.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:25 pm 

Maybe they'll finally start making cool music again and stop being the Great Value QOTSA they've been since The Hunter, but I'm not optimistic.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm 

It fits a 2LP so maybe it's not really that long.

Spoiler: show

They've been hit or miss since Crack the Skye, their last good album imho.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:15 pm 

I’ll probably check this out because Mastodon usually have at least a couple songs per album worth listening to. Overall the band is pretty overrated though. Crack the Skye in particular isn’t nearly as good as many people seem to think, and I don't think I've ever gotten through a full listen of Blood Mountain. My favorite album of theirs is actually Once More ‘Round the Sun; it improved upon the hard rock style of The Hunter with catchier songs and more interesting ideas. For the most part their earlier stuff doesn’t do much for me.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 pm 

Overrated is what you say after someone tells you about Guns N' Roses and then you actually listen to them. Mastodon for me from early on had incredible grooves that underscored their sludge-prog mix. It was such a good base for them and they would throw in inventive melodies and cool harmonic things along the way. They weren't technical but they were clever. The 'hard rock' albums starting with The Hunter place them more in that zone of G N' R, QOTSA and a bit of Devin Townsend (but without the cinematic annoying shit). I hate them for the most part and I can't fully enjoy Crack the Skye, their more standard progressive rock album either. But I still listen fondly to their past material. They're not overrated, they were quite unique for a minute there.

I've heard "Hushed and Grim" refers to two distinct moods btw so one half of the album might be quieter and the other darker or something like that...

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:45 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Overrated is what you say after someone tells you about Guns N' Roses and then you actually listen to them.

Or Mastodon. Just because you like them that doesn't absolve them of the same title you just bestowed upon a band you don't like. Quite the hypocritical stance to take.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 am 

Mastodon has been hit or miss with me. Liked Leviathan and revisit it at time. Like Blood Mountain but never revisit it. Crack the Skye is their masterpiece to me. Then came the boring The Hunter and Once More Round the Sun which I had trouble even listening to front to back. And then the latest one Emperor of Sand which I like quite a bit. This new one can go in an direction. If the double album thing indicates more prog then I'm all for it.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

An Ferbasach
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:41 am 

It feels like they've been on a downwards trajectory since Blood Mountain, though Crack the Skye is still a pretty good album. Everything since then just hasn't done anything for me. Hopefully this is going to be an improvement.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:27 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Overrated is what you say after someone tells you about Guns N' Roses and then you actually listen to them.

Or Mastodon. Just because you like them that doesn't absolve them of the same title you just bestowed upon a band you don't like. Quite the hypocritical stance to take.

Nah. Guns N' Roses all day. That's the definition of OVERRATED. Mastodon just had good press and were in every magazine especially at the time of Leviathan and moving forward. I've already explained why I thought they were good and interesting while also admitting they aren't necessarily so anymore.

Guns N' Roses were always hailed as some kind of quintessential American hard rock band but their career is spotty and they were never as prolific as their contemporaries or anywhere near as damn inventive. There's nothing truly groundbreaking about that band. The biggest fucking hoax in the rock world.

I stand by my words.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:21 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
Blood Mountain's the only thing I've heard from them and it was very meh. Still interested in them and still interested in trying to figure out why so many people love 'em though. No luck so far unfortunately.

Mastodon changed quite a bit with every album before The Hunter I find. If you like proggy go forward to Crack the Skye. If you like sludgy go back to Leviathan and Remission.
As for Mastodon being overrated - they have 3 albums that are almost universally acclaimed. If you rate them based solely on that output then they are not overrated. If you include their later work which is average at best then yeah I suppose they are. Pretty much exact same situation for Gojira.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:35 am 

HideYourHole wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

Mastodon changed quite a bit with every album before The Hunter I find. If you like proggy go forward to Crack the Skye. If you like sludgy go back to Leviathan and Remission.
As for Mastodon being overrated - they have 3 albums that are almost universally acclaimed. If you rate them based solely on that output then they are not overrated. If you include their later work which is average at best then yeah I suppose they are. Pretty much exact same situation for Gojira.

Might have to check those out.

Lots of people in this thread are saying the ones you call "universally acclaimed" are mediocre so not sure how well that holds up, haha.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:56 am 

In the span of 5 years GnR released approx. 6 albums worth of material, so saying they are not prolific is just wrong. People tend to forget that the Use Your Illusion albums were both double albums, released on the same day. I don't bother to defend them musically, if someone doesn't get Estranged, Civil War or Coma, that's fine.

As for Mastodon, my favorite album of theirs is The Hunter... I always smile when I read it's most people's least favorite or "the beginning of the decline" or whatever. If All the Heavy Lifting (that chorus always gets me) or the first two songs are signs of this decline, I wish they would keep declining like that.

My only worry about them is that for the past few releases they are getting a bit predictable musically. Or too familiar. I don't know. Something like that. On a separate note, I really like Brann, what a cool dude and a great drummer.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:19 am 

First single released:

I'm not a fan of The Hunter and Once More Round the Sun, but felt that Emperor of Sand was a great return to form.

On first listen this new track feels like a throw back to earlier days, I could see this being on Blood Mountain, though the chorus is still quite catchy and the track has that "cinematic" feel that a lot of their newer material has.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:18 am 

Not great, not terrible. Feels like a standard rocker they've been putting out last couple of albums. I do hope they release that cover in full colour, though.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:21 am 

I like the panic chords and the mathiness of the main riff and the punkiness of the verses, but the chorus sounds way too much like Stone Sour for my liking.

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:24 am 

Sounds great! And Hinds is not singing on it, that is a plus: his nasal tone annoys the hell out of me! Crack the Skye would be a 100% score album for me if it weren't for his horrible vocals. Don't get me wrong, I love that album but there is a lot of room for improvement in the vocal department.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:41 am 

Sounds like boring Soilwork. Or edgy Three Days Grace.

Amazing this is the same band that released Remission and Leviathan.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:40 am 

Don't know if it's just me, but Troy's vocals are buried in the mix and it all sounds messy and muddy. Riffs are chorus too "modern" in a bad way, and also feels I've heard it before and with an overall better sound. Once More 'Round the Sun is by far their worst album to me (although it has an 80% rate here). It's already been 4 years since Emperor of the sand but it doesn't seem it was worth the wait.

Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:08 am 

Good single, 7/10, waiting for more. Cool titles, it seems there will be a couple of bangers on the album. Hopefully, it's better than their previous effort, Emperor of Sand, which was quite underwhelming in its entirety.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:39 am 

SculptedCold wrote:
Sounds like boring Soilwork. Or edgy Three Days Grace.

Amazing this is the same band that released Remission and Leviathan.

Not having followed them closely basically since those albums, this is always my thought when I catch a new song of theirs.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:45 am 

Don't know how I feel about the song, but the video is great. Big fan of that.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:56 am 

I loved their last album when it came out, but in hindsight it was a bit too tame and slick in places. The new song is cool, a good dab rawer and wilder than the first single from Emperor of Sand - more in the style of Once More 'Round the Sun. Looking forward to more.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:41 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
I like the panic chords and the mathiness of the main riff and the punkiness of the verses, but the chorus sounds way too much like Stone Sour for my liking.

Hehe. Yeah.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:47 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
As for Mastodon, my favorite album of theirs is The Hunter... I always smile when I read it's most people's least favorite or "the beginning of the decline" or whatever. If All the Heavy Lifting (that chorus always gets me) or the first two songs are signs of this decline, I wish they would keep declining like that.

I love The Hunter. But I'm also someone who loves the black album and I tend to see such career moves in terms other than purely commercial. British Steel is another example. You look at those albums and so many of those songs still endure. Point is, there's something more to them than just cashing in.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:28 pm 

As someone who feels Mastodon fell off after Blood Mountain the new track doesn't do much to change my mind. It's better than the material on The Hunter and Once More 'Round the Sun and on par with Emperor of Sand, but that's not saying much.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:59 am 

I think the track is a step in the right direction and the production is really good. Bottrill has them sounding King Crimson-like in parts. I hate that chorus though.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:15 am 

I think the track is a step in the right direction and the production is really good. Bottrill has them sounding King Crimson-like in parts. I hate that chorus though.

The chorus sounds like something you'd expect from 90s alternative rock band, and not one of the bigger ones.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:17 am 

New song. I was shocked at the Idle Hands/Unto Others vibe or maybe I had that new Unto Others still playing in my head.

Anyways, song's wistful and catchy and I like it for that. Not exactly what I need from Mastodon but I do want catchy wistful tunes every now and then.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:29 am 

Frank Booth wrote:

Holy fuck. Spot on. The verse was indeed cool but the chorus took a dive.

New song. I was shocked at the Idle Hands/Unto Others vibe or maybe I had that new Unto Others still playing in my head.

No! You were spot on with your Idle Hands/Unto Others comparison, I hear it too. It's not like it's a bad song in itself, but it feels ingenuine for Mastodon. It sounds like them trying to be somebody else.

Overall I loved everything up to The Hunter, and I think I liked The Hunter more than other people did. More commercial, yes, but still had some of the spastic chaos of the earlier material too. But now it feels like Mastodon is subdued. I mean, Opeth changed drastically too, but even though I like the earlier material better, it didn't feel like Mikael Akerfeldt was trying to dumb himself down - it just sounded like a new direction for the band. In Mastodon's case, it's like someone neutered them.

Teardrinker especially just sounds like a typical MTV alternative rock band, and they're doing away with everything that made them special without replacing those elements with anything particularly worthwhile.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:38 am 

Neither of the singles does anything for me. This band has dipped their toes in many different styles of music I'm just sad that the style they choose to go with most of the time lately has been the one that does nothing for me. It's just radio rock and even at that its not really good enough to grab my attention.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next