Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
The only Judas Priest album I enjoy more than a song or two from is Painkiller.

I wonder what it feels like being this wrong?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:03 pm 

Opus wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:
The only Judas Priest album I enjoy more than a song or two from is Painkiller.

I wonder what it feels like being this wrong?

Painkiller is really like this lab-produced perfect specimen of what heavy metal was around that time, but I still go back to the '70s ones so much more often.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm 

I don't think there was really anything that sounded like that at the time. It was more like every other band in the 90s tried to start copying that sonic aesthetic afterwards.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:21 pm 

InnesI wrote:
I really loved Zyklons World of Worms. It felt unique at the time with its industrial sounding black metal. The two other albums treaded into the stable but boring death metal territory for me.

I forgot about this album. Back in the turn of the century this was what post black metal meant. I really liked the mix of black metal with industrial dounds. Satyricon killed it on their go.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:13 pm 

Thanks to this thread I've discovered Amon Amarth's 'Once sent... ' and Sentenced's 'Shadows of the past', two bands I had completely written off. Cheers :)

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:53 pm 

Inkshooter wrote:
Antithesis by Origin is one of my all-time favorite death metal albums, in a band I otherwise find kind of dull. I also don't like technical death metal in general, I was very young when Antithesis came out and I first listened to it, and it didn't influence my overall taste in metal very much, maybe because I then checked out their earlier material and hated it.

Origin, prior to Antithesis were mostly about completely saturated death metal, brutal, technical and crazy fast riffing and drumming. They didn't care much about progression throughout their songs, and songs were rather short. On Antithesis and the following album, Entity, they started having more complex and longer tracks with more of a progression and structures that differ from song to song. If you liked Antithesis, Entity is also very much worth it.

HeWhoBreedsPestilence1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 am 

Seven Seals by Primal Fear is some of the most epic power metal ever. Everything else I heard by them just sounds so generic and forgettable.

hellhammer6661
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:37 pm 

I cant answer strictly with one disc Because I pick up a song for some riff to try play in guitar some day in the future so I would not say only one album and the rest is garbage. Im not a fan of entire album because many times I select only the songs I prefer sometimes I save only a song of a band.

carpathian forest : defending the throne of evil
Amorphis: ´´Elegy´´ Album but I have to mention the song ´´against window´´ of another album
Satyricon : Nemesis Divina but not the rest of discography.
Nachtmystium : I dont know name of Album but it has the track Your_True_Enemy
O C T I N O M O S : I dont know name of Album but it has the track - 'Genocide Mass
Shining : I dont know name of Album but it has the track -Vilseledda Barnasjälars Hemvist
black altar : I dont know name of Album but it has the track -The Antihuman Manifesto
Borknagar- I dont know name of Album but it has the track -----Vintervredets Sjelesagn -
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
darkthule - I dont know name of Album but it has the track ----Heathenish Wrath
forest of fog - I dont know name of Album but it has the track ---------In Vergessenen Ruinen
Moonblood_ I dont know name of Album but it has the track ------- Forgotten Spells in The Forest Nocturnal
TAAKE - I dont know name of Album but it has the track -----------Hordalands Doedskvad Part III

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:03 pm 

I really like At the Heart of Winter by Immortal, but otherwise, I'm not into the band at all.
There are other bands that I'm not big into, but like a few songs or a few albums. However, I wouldn't count those in the same category, especially since it's common to prefer a certain era of a band.

Nazgul1974
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:26 pm 

Definitively Paracletus by Deathspell Omega, the other albums are a big Meh for me, I,ve never got why this band is so revered.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:44 pm 

Municipal Waste's Waste 'Em All, Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:23 pm 

in_the_sign_of_metal wrote:
I've listened to Annihilation of the Wicked at least once a week for a few months, and it's one of my favorite tech death metal albums of all time, but aside from a few tracks scattered across their other albums, I can't for the life of me truly enjoy any other Nile record as much. I really want to be able to though.

I can relate to this, at least in part. I think their discography is pretty good, but Annihilation of the Wicked is something else entirely. It's just that much better than their other material (and honestly, than most of the material from the brutal tech death scene of the early 2000's) it completely overshadows it. But I do recommand giving a few more spins to Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, and to In Their Darkened Shrines. They are rather solid records and they might end up growing on you.

hellhammer6661 wrote:
I cant answer strictly with one disc Because I pick up a song for some riff to try play in guitar some day in the future so I would not say only one album and the rest is garbage. Im not a fan of entire album because many times I select only the songs I prefer sometimes I save only a song of a band.

Amorphis: ´´Elegy´´ Album but I have to mention the song ´´against window´´ of another album
O C T I N O M O S : I dont know name of Album but it has the track - 'Genocide Mass
Shining : I dont know name of Album but it has the track -Vilseledda Barnasjälars Hemvist
black altar : I dont know name of Album but it has the track -The Antihuman Manifesto
Borknagar- I dont know name of Album but it has the track -----Vintervredets Sjelesagn -
forest of fog - I dont know name of Album but it has the track ---------In Vergessenen Ruinen
Moonblood_ I dont know name of Album but it has the track ------- Forgotten Spells in The Forest Nocturnal
TAAKE - I dont know name of Album but it has the track -----------Hordalands Doedskvad Part III

Bro, look them up, you're on Metal Archives. These are all albums you can easily find on the website. And I mean, jeez... that Taake album is obviously titled Hordalands doedskvad.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:34 pm 

Really interesting opinion on Nile, for me at least. I find all their albums very similar, and I'm pretty much into all of them up through "Those Whom The Gods Detest" (after that it feels a little boring, at least for me). Annihilation is definitely the pinnacle of their career though, no doubt. For me, I'd say that and In Their Darkened Shrines are their best.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:57 pm 

Hecatomb867 wrote:
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Spectacular album but everything by the band before or since just does nothing for me. Their early gore-grind stuff is largely just plain boring. The Harvest Floor was when they began showing some promise, but they weren't quite there yet. Monolith is when the band nailed it and then starting with The Anthropocene Extinction they started falling into a bland, predictable formula which they've continued on with their most recent album.

Agreed. And I did "kind of" get into The Harvest Floor (though you shouldn't have to try as hard as I did) and I always found Karma.Bloody.Karma quite... interesting. Like sometimes I'd listen and be like "Yeah!" and then the very next time it really tried my patience, so... solid band, but I often feel they throw too many "bells & whistles"/"gimmicks"- whatever you want to call it- into the mix at the expense of the songs overall.

But - Monolith of Inhumanity is the one place where it does come together beautifully for me too.

Last edited by Gemini 7 Rising on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
hellhammer6661
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:41 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
hellhammer6661 wrote:

Bro, look them up, you're on Metal Archives. These are all albums you can easily find on the website. And I mean, jeez... that Taake album is obviously titled Hordalands doedskvad.

Yes I can do that one of these days.
I have the list of the albums I ckeched in my computer of each band I listened and some picture of the cover But lately I thought in have at least a reference of how many songs of each album I have too.

Frostheimr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:16 pm 

Six Feet Under - Death Rituals
The only album I can enjoy fully - other than this I only enjoy 2 songs from their first album.

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:47 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I can relate to this, at least in part. I think their discography is pretty good, but Annihilation of the Wicked is something else entirely. It's just that much better than their other material (and honestly, than most of the material from the brutal tech death scene of the early 2000's) it completely overshadows it. But I do recommand giving a few more spins to Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, and to In Their Darkened Shrines. They are rather solid records and they might end up growing on you.

Fast forward a few months and you were right. My ears slowly got more attuned to the patterns and intricacies of their dissonant riffing, especially on the earlier albums, and this band has climbed the ranks of my "favorite death metal bands" list considerably. That debut is savage!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:50 pm 

in_the_sign_of_metal wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Fast forward a few months and you were right. My ears slowly got more attuned to the patterns and intricacies of their dissonant riffing, especially on the earlier albums, and this band has climbed the ranks of my "favorite death metal bands" list considerably. That debut is savage!

Glad to hear you've seen the light (dark). As someone said earlier, everything basically up to and including Those Whom the Gods Detest is essential listening. Personally, for me In Their Darkened Shrines has the top spot, but that's a whole other topic altogether.

Hemwick
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:26 pm 

Origin Antithesis. Everything else by them bores me but this album scratches an itch for me. And I can't stand technical death metal. I've checked out their other albums and nothing clicks

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:33 am 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
Hecatomb867 wrote:
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity
Spectacular album but everything by the band before or since just does nothing for me. Their early gore-grind stuff is largely just plain boring. The Harvest Floor was when they began showing some promise, but they weren't quite there yet. Monolith is when the band nailed it and then starting with The Anthropocene Extinction they started falling into a bland, predictable formula which they've continued on with their most recent album.

Agreed. And I did "kind of" get into The Harvest Floor (though you shouldn't have to try as hard as I did) and I always found Karma.Bloody.Karma quite... interesting. Like sometimes I'd listen and be like "Yeah!" and then the very next time it really tried my patience, so... solid band, but I often feel they throw too many "bells & whistles"/"gimmicks"- whatever you want to call it- into the mix at the expense of the songs overall.

But - Monolith of Inhumanity is the one place where it does come together beautifully for me too.

The only ones I really like are MOI and The Anthropocene Extinction. Did the latest one strike anyone else as just an Anaal Nathrakh ripoff? They were getting their own sound and then that happened.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2