* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:21 am 

Gas_Snake wrote:
Chuck Schuldiner's vocals on TSOP

Nearly everything Chuck did was magical. Nearly.

AnacrusisVOX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:06 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Gas_Snake wrote:
Chuck Schuldiner's vocals on TSOP

Nearly everything Chuck did was magical. Nearly.

Cool shirt \m/ \m/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 am 

Definitely not sure how these guys stayed so under the radar after Screams and Whispers. Bad luck maybe. This kind of classy prog stuff got very big after them.

Also intriguing because the mellower, cleaner parts were definitely in line with what the grunge acts were doing just a bit later too. Talk about a band on the pulse here.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Definitely not sure how these guys stayed so under the radar after Screams and Whispers. Bad luck maybe. This kind of classy prog stuff got very big after them.

And never as good as Anacrusis either... :oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:28 pm 

They definitely have the classic, aggressive riff style down better than a lot of the more polished later acts.

AnacrusisVOX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Also intriguing because the mellower, cleaner parts were definitely in line with what the grunge acts were doing just a bit later too. Talk about a band on the pulse here.

S&W was released in May and by October the band had broken up.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:17 pm 

For sure. It sucks to see an album like that, which seemed pretty prescient of what would happen about a decade later, not get revered. But that's the thing with art I guess.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:32 pm 

Ok, Anacrusis is one of the band I've always seen the name mentioned around here for years but never bothered checking for whatever reasons. I'm listening to Suffering Hour on youtube right now and damn, that shit rules hard. I should punch myself for not listening to them before today. Ferocious ripping stuff for sure and with a unique sound too.
Fire walk with me"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:06 pm 

Heard all their albums now, albeit three out of the four in various states of re-recorded or remastered or something. I can appreciate how these guys evolved. The quality of writing is very strong. Good showing. Gonna try Kenn's solo stuff soon.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:01 pm 

Good news, Kenn Nardi "Trauma" is finally up for pre-order:
https://www.indiemerch.com/divebomb/item/103616

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:49 pm 

I'm a little late to the game and only just discovered Kenn Nardi's music, but am really digging both his solo albums. (Trauma is playing currently. \m/) There's a pretty recent interview of him which some of y'all might enjoy.

Also, this thread is quite entertaining! I'm impressed at how classy Kenn is when confronted with such harsh and over-the-top criticism; I've seen many musicians get their panties in a bunch over far less severe criticisms.

AnacrusisVOX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:02 pm 

You can now watch the entire "An Evening with ANACRUSIS - Live at Delmar Hall" 2019 reunion show featuring all 6 members of the band on YouTube...with professionally recorded audio, shot with 10 cameras and mixed and edited by yours truly.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09TEK7-CnTM

Audio version is also available here…

https://knardi.bandcamp.com/album/an-evening-with-anacrusis-live-at-delmar-hall-2019

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:15 pm 

Will do, thanks!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:41 am 

I still can't believe I missed that blu-ray. Any chance of a reprint?

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Wed May 18, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:40 am 

Suffering Hour's a really good album, it reminds me of Coroner's Punishment For Decadence.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:09 pm 

That live footage is phenomenal, really impressive how these guys are able to pull the stuff off perfectly. Kenn's vocals are absolutely spot on, really would love to see them in-person one day! In the meantime, I'll check out Kenn's solo material...can't fucking believe I haven't done so yet.

As for Anacrusis in general...to me, the greatest prog-thrash band of all time, along with Voivod. Screams & Whispers in my opinion is a real work of creative genius, the apex of the progressive metal genre and definitely one of the best albums in the entire history of metal, period. Chuck Schuldiner had great taste, for sure. The only problem is, Screams & Whispers is so goddamn good that I rarely feel compelled to listen to the three preceding albums. Don't get me wrong, all of them are great too, but there's a real "magic" to that album that just draws me towards it.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:51 pm 

AnacrusisVOX wrote:
You can now watch the entire "An Evening with ANACRUSIS - Live at Delmar Hall" 2019 reunion show featuring all 6 members of the band on YouTube...with professionally recorded audio, shot with 10 cameras and mixed and edited by yours truly.

Enjoy!

https://knardi.bandcamp.com/album/an-evening-with-anacrusis-live-at-delmar-hall-2019

What an awesome concert! Would've loved to have been there. Feel free to come and visit NZ and Aus! Anyway, thanks for sharing. Great stuff!

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:08 pm 

AnacrusisVOX wrote:

Enjoy!

What a delight to see

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:10 am 

Finally bit the bullet and bought the Trauma album. I admit the long length was a bit daunting at first. So far it sounds like exactly what you would've wanted Anacrusis to do if they'd kept going. Brilliant meaty riffs and just great song structuring. Catchier choruses than Anacrusis usually did too, which I like - makes it stand apart from the old stuff. This is clearly a really impressive piece of work.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:26 am 

Anacrusis has an album or two on Prime Music so I listened. I don't get the complaints about the vocals earlier in the thread to be honest unless you are looking for some power metal styles. I need to listen to more, strange to say since I'm in STL, but so far nice work.

mynameishere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:37 am 

I didn't know they broke up again after the reunion; it seems fair since there were no plans to release new music or anything else, and Kenn is more focused on his solo career.

metallic_monk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:27 pm 

I couldn't get into the first 2 albums due to the sloppy drumming. I saw Ken Nardi mention earlier in the thread that it was recorded live, that would explain it, cause I also saw the drummer praised as well. I hear that they have been rerecorded, but I have no interest in generic thrash anymore. Unlesss they were already progressive/unique then? Then I will have to check it out.

Manic Impressions is great, in terms of riffs it might even have a slight edge, but the vocals prevent me from fully enjoying. Too much reliance on harsh vocals, and the clean ones are not fully developed yet.

Screams and Whispers, this is where they really hit their stride. Minimal reliance on harsh vocals, and he could finally sing. It's one of metal's greatest albums, completely unique. If I had to describe them, they're like a darker and more melancholic Voivod. And like one poster said, I also have to be in the right mood to listen to it, as the vibe can really put me down. It's very rare that music can do that to me.

Overall they belong in the familly of unique thrash bands that really shined in their early 90s works, like Coroner, Voivod, Mekong Delta, Secrecy.

mynameishere
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:28 am 

metallic_monk wrote:
I couldn't get into the first 2 albums due to the sloppy drumming. I saw Ken Nardi mention earlier in the thread that it was recorded live, that would explain it, cause I also saw the drummer praised as well. I hear that they have been rerecorded, but I have no interest in generic thrash anymore. Unlesss they were already progressive/unique then? Then I will have to check it out.

Manic Impressions is great, in terms of riffs it might even have a slight edge, but the vocals prevent me from fully enjoying. Too much reliance on harsh vocals, and the clean ones are not fully developed yet.

Screams and Whispers, this is where they really hit their stride. Minimal reliance on harsh vocals, and he could finally sing. It's one of metal's greatest albums, completely unique. If I had to describe them, they're like a darker and more melancholic Voivod. And like one poster said, I also have to be in the right mood to listen to it, as the vibe can really put me down. It's very rare that music can do that to me.

Overall they belong in the familly of unique thrash bands that really shined in their early 90s works, like Coroner, Voivod, Mekong Delta, Secrecy.

I don't think they are supposed to be fast due to the variety of composition, even in the last albums. Calling Mekong Delta, Coroner. Voivod or Anacrusis a Thrash band, in general, is vague.

~Guest 1413143
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:

There`ve been a couple of such albums, like ie. Salutations from the ghetto nation from warrior soul, an album more or less everyone should like who isnt totally disgusted by TBA from Metallica, Soundgarden, or maybe even Guns`roses at the same time :D but if we talk about bands with a speed and thrash or even DM background they often did face terrible underappreciation; thinking of depressive age (though they did age badly, but they are quite comparable to anacrusis), coroner (ironically nowadays everybodies darling), fear of god, or even what massacra and morgoth did on their last two albums...

I did love the answer from Kenn so much, that i did begin to re-visit their stuff. There are musicians whose attitude suck so much that i cant listen to them (Mr Mustaine!) but it seems there is also the opposite; really cool reactions!

In fact - concerning his / your - voice i would take a middle ground: i think kenn is a good singer! but i could do without the shireks (and sometimes the keys) - what i love are those dark, subtle melodies, and i think his normal voice fits very very well. Its a unique style; maybe maybe comparable to what secrets of the moon did a lot of years later coming from a totally different background? however: a cover of NMA surely did fit perfectly that approach.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3