Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:47 am 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/helloween-to-release-kai-hansen-penned-12-minute-single-skyfall/

Quote:
The reunited expanded classic lineup of German power metallers HELLOWEEN will release its much-anticipated album in the summer of 2021. The disc's first single, "Skyfall", will arrive on April 2, 2021.

The "Pumpkins United" lineup features returning singer Michael Kiske and guitarist/vocalist Kai Hansen alongside current singer Andi Deris, guitarists Michael Weikath and Sascha Gerstner, bassist Markus Grosskopf and drummer Daniel Löble.

Produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and Dennis Ward, the new HELLOWEEN LP was recorded in part at the H.O.M.E. Studios in Hamburg (where everything started in 1984). The same recording console used for such HELLOWEEN albums as "Master Of The Rings", "Time Of The Oath" and "Better Than Raw" was utilized to record the band's new material. The effort was mixed at the Valhalla Studios of Ronald Prent (IRON MAIDEN, DEF LEPPARD, RAMMSTEIN).

HELLOWEEN's new album saw the legendary German power metallers going "back to the roots," with the band recording fully analogue and Löble playing the drum kit previously used by HELLOWEEN's original drummer, the late Ingo Schwichtenberg, on the legendary "Keeper Of The Seven Keys" recordings.

"Skyfall" will be available on CD, digitally and in two different vinyl versions.

Single 1: Vinyl, CD, digital:

"Skyfall" (single edit) + "Skyfall" (exclusive alternative vocals mix). Both are exclusive single versions and will not be on the album. Around 20 minutes playing time.

Single 2: Vinyl only

"Skyfall" (single edit) + "Indestructible" (exclusive album track). This is a strictly limited version of the new single with one exclusive album track.

The epic 12-minute track "Skyfall", written by Hansen, has the long-yearned "Keeper Of The Seven Keys" vibe, but it isn't musically telling the whole story of the album. Lyrically, "Skyfall" tells about an alien landing on earth, and the accompanying music video, produced by Martin Häusler, will be the most elaborate clip in the history of the band, featuring 3D animation and a cinematic look.

[...]

Cover art #1:
Spoiler: show

Cover art #2 (by Eliran Kantor):
Spoiler: show

Incredibly hyped for this! I absolutely ADORE Helloween, both their classic Hansen-era, as well as the Grapow and Kusch-era, and the modern one. Nuclear Blast is milking the release as always though, but I think the the alternate version of the Skyfall track is interesting enough to warrant a purchase :-D I also hope that Kantor is doing the cover art for the album as well! Helloween is long due for a cover sleeve that matches their music :headbang:

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:48 am 

Absolutely idiotic to announce the release of a SINGLE this early though :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:14 pm 

The new lineup sounded amazing on that live album from last year or so - hoping that can translate to an album. Haven't 100% loved anything they've done since Gambling and I'm not a huge fan of Kai's writing style, but I'm curious for sure.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:17 pm 

The band has uploaded a teaser trailer for the song Skyfall (see above):

It isn't really that much of the song, but I think it's sounding pretty good so far. It's pretty gallopy and has some nice dual melodies with the guitars. The bass is audible this time around, which is always welcome since Markus is a great player. Kiske sounds good here, but he seems to slur his words when he is singing high pitched these days, which is somewhat bothersome. The guitars lack crunch though, and it still has somewhat of a modern-Bauerfeind production job, which I am not a huge fan of. The drums are less artificial sounding than some of their more recent albums, which is a plus. I am definitely looking forward to the full release of the single.

Thoughts?

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:56 pm 

Sounds awesome, though I'm surprised they'd release a teaser without any clips of Deris singing as well.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:05 pm 

I prefer Adele's.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:09 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Sounds awesome, though I'm surprised they'd release a teaser without any clips of Deris singing as well.

I think you can hear Deris on backing vocals (albeit faintly) starting at around the 0:25 second mark, but I certainly would like to hear him singing lead. His vocals have had a bit too much production done on them on the more recent albums, so I’m hoping those are going to be toned down.

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:08 pm 

I'm guessing Kiske is in his "I like metal, it pays the bills" phase at the moment then.

Sounds good enough from what I hear, but Kiske's vocals and a modern production doesn't make a Helloween album - they're going to have to match the classic stuff to stop this being just reunion hype.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:51 pm 

seems like a really bad idea to give your album the name of both an incredibly popular movie as well as that movies award winning incredibly popular main theme if you want to get any search engine viability for yourself

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:17 am 

VaderCrush wrote:
seems like a really bad idea to give your album the name of both an incredibly popular movie as well as that movies award winning incredibly popular main theme if you want to get any search engine viability for yourself

Agreed.

What's next? Blind Guardian releasing an album titled A Night at the Opera?

Lunacy.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:40 am 

Very much looking forwards to this - don't have as much careful analysis to offer of the teaser, but I quite like that the lead single is going to be a 12 minuter - take that, radio airtime potential !

VaderCrush wrote:

Nightwish were made to change the name of 'Imaginarium' as it clashed with some movie. How times change !

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:56 am 

Holy shit, Unisonic are back!

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:20 am 

Methuen wrote:
Very much looking forwards to this - don't have as much careful analysis to offer of the teaser, but I quite like that the lead single is going to be a 12 minuter - take that, radio airtime potential !

Don’t worry Methuen, there is a single edit for Skyfall that is 7:19 minutes :)
Look at the track listing on this page: https://shop.nuclearblast.com/en/produc ... port-.html

Even so I doubt it’ll get any radio airplay (at least in the States). Seven minutes is still rather long for radio. I do find it kind of funny that the band complained for so about how the song Halloween was truncated and turned into a single, but these days they are willing to do this on their own. It’s a cut of 5 minutes rather than the 8 done to the song Halloween, but you are theoretically losing an integral part of the song in the process.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:41 am 

Demon Fang wrote:
Holy shit, Unisonic are back!

hahahaha.

To be fair, I'll take anything Kai Hansen so I'm quietly optimistic about this.
Hansen's absence is the reason I haven't really liked Helloween since he left, and why I love Gamma Ray (even all their dorky early shit) so fingers crossed eh?

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:01 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/helloweenofficial

The band has released the track listing for the upcoming record, which is going to be self-titled and released on the 18th of June.

1. Out for the Glory
2. Fear of the Fallen
3. Best Time
4. Mass Pollution
5. Angels
6. Rise Without Chains
7. Indestructable
8. Robot King
9. Cyanide
10. Down in the Dumps
11. Orbit
12. Skyfall

None of these look particularly egregious or bizarre, though Robot King piques my interest. I would suppose that Orbit is likely an intro to Skyfall, so that would leave about 11 songs left, presuming there are no other intros or interludes. There aren't any track lengths or writing credits available yet, but it looks like it will be less bloated than My God Given Right. I guess they decided to make it a self-titled because of the whole reunion deal, but they could have been much more original with the title (especially because the self-titled EP exists).

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:40 pm 

I was pleasantly surprised to see it was coming out in June. For some reason I had August in my mind.

I actually do think it will be quite a lengthy album because Skyfall is 12 minutes, so it could end up being quite long even if it had fewer tracks.

Either way, I am unreasonably excited and am expecting this to be a top 5 record for the year.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:41 pm 

Those titles sound pretty good, maybe more serious than the last one. I wonder if they'll have Kiske and Deris singing together or just split up on different tracks. Hopefully this is fucking good and a comeback for them.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:04 pm 

Part of me wishes they had gone with Pumpkins United as a title, even if the actual song isn't included. I'm feeling fairly optimistic about the turnout though. At the very least, it'll certainly be an interesting listen.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:37 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised to see it was coming out in June. For some reason I had August in my mind.

I actually do think it will be quite a lengthy album because Skyfall is 12 minutes, so it could end up being quite long even if it had fewer tracks.

Either way, I am unreasonably excited and am expecting this to be a top 5 record for the year.

Thinking about it again you are probably right that it will still be quite a long record length wise. I guess I meant to convey that I hope it feels less bloated than the previous album (ie. better pacing, more track variety, and more standout tracks).

Here's the Blabbermouth article surrounding the release if anyone here is interested: https://blabbermouth.net/news/helloween ... m-in-june/

Obviously the band is hyping up the album. Hansen states that it will "[draw] from all chapters of the band's history," which sounds good to me on paper, but of course these statements often aren't quite true. I really don't get why the band hypes up the fact that they used the same recording console as the first three Deris records. As we heard from the snippet the production is still very modern and not like those records. Dani Loble is apparently playing on Ingo Schwichtenberg's kit, which is cool, I guess.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:06 pm 

Sounds like a whole lotta nothing, based on that clip. Not hyped. We'll see when it comes out.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:54 pm 

I wonder how much input Hansen has on the project? He famously doesn't like singing (Frank Beck sung for Gamma Ray in the last tours), and here he's one guitarist among three. Hopefully he gets to write some songs, at least.

Quote:
Dani Loble is apparently playing on Ingo Schwichtenberg's kit, which is cool, I guess.

Like Charlie Bauerfeind isn't just going to replace the whole kit with samples like he always does.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
I wonder how much input Hansen has on the project? He famously doesn't like singing (Frank Beck sung for Gamma Ray in the last tours), and here he's one guitarist among three. Hopefully he gets to write some songs, at least.

Quote:
Dani Loble is apparently playing on Ingo Schwichtenberg's kit, which is cool, I guess.

Like Charlie Bauerfeind isn't just going to replace the whole kit with samples like he always does.

:lol:

Honestly though, Dani is a great drummer and all, but his kit sounds so fake and Bauerfeind just compounds the issue further.

As for Kai Hansen, I know he helped write Skyfall, as an earlier press release mentioned a writing team of Deris/Hansen/Weikath. With that in mind I would suspect he wrote or helped write a few other songs on the album. I doubt he will sing lead on any (or it will only be one track). Who knows, maybe Frank Beck will start singing live for him with Helloween!

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:51 am 

Despite the fun reunion idea, I think it overcrowded there...

Quacksha
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:32 am 

It's so refreshing to see an actual painting and not that outdated CG shit.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:23 am 

Album art is looking great. It’s certainly their best in a long time, probably since Better Than Raw. I’m glad they finally dropped the digital artwork, though I figured they would get rid of it this time around. Hopefully the music lives up to the art.

EDIT: On second thought, though I like the art itself a lot, the logo does not mesh well with it. It looks kind of slapped on. I also wish the bottom of the clock didn’t go out of frame.

Last edited by Sekrys on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:27 am 

Art looks good, but i can't be the only one that tought "New Hate Eternal?!?" :lol:

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:50 pm 

I'm not sure what Helloween can do at this point to increase my excitement for this record because this art is incredible. I have no problem with their modern digital covers, but I love this one too.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:36 pm 

Sekrys wrote:
As for Kai Hansen, I doubt he will sing lead on any (or it will only be one track).

the whole selling point of pumpkins united is that all past singers of helloween sing, so i can guarantee that kai will have mic time... :)

//

I like the concept of the cover, but not the execution :/ the keeper looks good, everything else is meh... can anyone give clues to the... well, clues in the painting? I see the keeper, the creature rising from the sea (where the seven keys were thrown), the crystal ball, the keys, the time of the oath, and the horn-y angel from the back cover of walls of jericho... where is the other angel from? and whatever that is behind the face of the clock? or am I reading too much into it? :/

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:37 pm 

aloof wrote:
Sekrys wrote:
As for Kai Hansen, I doubt he will sing lead on any (or it will only be one track).

the whole selling point of pumpkins united is that all past singers of helloween sing, so i can guarantee that kai will have mic time... :)

Oh I don't doubt he will have mic time, I just think that he will not have way too much of it on lead vocals. I think that he will sing parts of songs, harmonies, etc., but only sing main vocals on 1 or 2 tracks. On the Pumpkins United Tour I believe he only really sang lead on the medley they did of the Helloween/Walls of Jericho songs, and since he has two singers (who don't play guitar or have anything else to do) to compete with, I just don't think Hansen will be as prominent vocally as one may expect (or want). I'd also argue the selling point of the reunion was that the Keeper lineup was back rather than a focus on having all the vocalists (though that did happen and is definitely a part of it).

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:03 am 

UPDATED tracklist with writing credits

1 - Out for the glory (7:19) (Weikath)
2 - Fear of the fallen (5:39) (Deris)
3 - Best time (3:36) (Gerstner / Deris)
4 - Mass pollution (4:15) (Deris)
5 - Angels (4:42) (Gerstner)
6 - Rise without chains (4:56) (Deris)
7 - Indestructible (4:43) (Grosskopf)
8 - Robot king (7:08) (Weikath)
9 - Cyanide (3:29) (Deris)
10 - Down in the dumps (6:01) (Weikath)
11 - Orbit (1:05) (Hansen)
12 - Skyfall (12:11) (Hansen)

Not enough Hansen, too much Deris/Gerstner, i hope this doesn't suck. Having Charlie Bauerfiend producing again is already a bad sign.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:09 pm 

I was never as into Hansen's writing style as I was the other dudes', so this should be good for me. Something about the longer waiting time tells me this one will be different from their recent works.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:47 pm 

This is the first time they've given Weikath the opening song since...well, Chameleon, if Wikipedia is correct.

I'm interested. Some signs they're doing things different to usual, at least.

Sekrys
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:29 am 

I'm still looking forward to the record, but I do agree with Metroplex that Deris has too many tracks here. I know that he has done a lot of writing for them since about the Dark Ride (5/11 songs, not including the intro), and here he has a similar proportion here if you count the Deris / Gerstner credit. I was really expecting Michael Kiske to have at least one song, but it looks like he got the short end of the stick, a shame since I like the songs he did for Helloween. I also expected more of a presence of Kai Hansen outside of Skyfall since an earlier press release talked about a songwriting trio of Deris/Hansen/Weikath. In fact, the only dual credit here is Best Time. I'm a little worried about Weikath having 3 songs, none of which are shorter than 6 minutes. He is known for his typical "Happy Happy Helloween" power metal standards on each record, so I can only hope that there is more to these songs than that. Time wise, the album is even longer than My God-Given Right, which is alarming. Only Keeper the Legacy and Chameleon are longer.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:40 pm 

So a demo version of Skyfall leaked a few days ago and after more than 20 listens i can say its a damn good track . It sounds like 'Land of The Free' Gamma Ray era mixed with Avantasia and some old school Helloween, with lots of different parts, all of them really good.

The vocals are handled mostly by Kai and Kiske with a bit of Andi here and there, though it might change in the final product. Hopefully they don't add that horrendous modern production from the last albums.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:52 pm 

Half of album songs written by Deris? Hey that's perfect! That means it wont be an attempt at Keeper pt 3 as part of original members reuinion. Deris era is fine but was getting a little stale lately so this could be a new spark of inspiration. I am happy to check it out.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:38 am 

Not really a big Helloween fan, but that cover art is easily the best one they've ever had (yes, even better than the Keeper album covers). Smart decision to hire Eliran Kantor, that guy is getting tons of work these days.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:03 am 

out now! listening... https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqB0 ... dqB0He9CJI

https://www.facebook.com/helloweenoffic ... 175598587/

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 am 

I recommend the alternative vocal mix version, it's way better with all 3 singers.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 am 

post a link to it then! :D

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:10 am 

Skyfall music video

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next