Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:16 am 

I'm digging it! It definitely has a more old school vibe than anything they've been doing lately.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:35 pm 

Digging this new single of theirs. Might be one of their best singles in a while.

Check out my reviews

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:40 pm 

The 12 minute album version is even better. Ill try to upload it if i find it.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:45 pm 

I tried to hold out until I could hear the 12-minute version but I gave up and watched the music video.

That song was AMAZING. Totally incredible song from start to finish. It was super disjointed, and you could hear exactly where they chopped up the song, so I imagine the 12-minute version will be better, but that's exactly what I wanted from Helloween. A bit more Deris in the longer version would be nice, as this felt sorta Kiske focused, but I'm really happy with this song.

I know this is the only track written by Kai, but I'm even more hyped for the entire album now.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:22 pm 

Damn was this awesome. Can't wait for this album.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:23 pm 

I had zero expectations for this, but it's pretty fuckin' hype. Hope the rest of the album can match it...which is highly unlikely and a fool's hope, but a man can dream.

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:28 pm 

Great song.

I forgot them after Gambling with the Devil (great album), and I saw them along with Gamma Ray in 2007. I tried the latest albums from time to time but didn't get caught. There some magic again goes around this line-up, and I like it.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 pm 

Wow! Wasn't expecting that. Instant buy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:42 pm 

I wasn't sure what to expect but this is pretty killer, yeah. Really shows how you can use old ideas to make new, fresh sounds. Kiske sounds great and the riffs are fucking killer.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:45 pm 

This is pretty cool - I'm quietly optimistic this is what I wanted, which was basically a Gamma Ray album with Kiske singing a bit and minimal Deris - but JEEZ this clip sounds chopped up. I can't wait for the full version, but I honestly don't know why a band would bother releasing something like this as a single... at least just release the entire thing!

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:04 am 

The song got the Halloween treatment for purposes of making a music video and single. In Halloween the did have to cut all those glorious solos. Anyway it sounds good to me, waiting for the actual full version to enjoy.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:25 am 

If anyone has a link to the 12 minute version, I'd love to hear it. The single version is fantastic but it definitely feels like it's missing something.

Obey the dolphin!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:22 am 

Rosenthorn wrote:
If anyone has a link to the 12 minute version, I'd love to hear it. The single version is fantastic but it definitely feels like it's missing something.

I could try email it to you if that is allowed. Youtube won't let me upload it.

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 pm 

I'm torn.
Musically, it's great.
Hearing Kiske on Helloween again, great.
Those lyrics.................................yeah.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:28 pm 

Have they ever been known for great lyrics though?

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

But oh yes, certainly:

"Something's growing in my pants
As she looks into my eyes
Now I smile the whole damn night
But my dream acts cold as ice"
- Just a Little Sign

The sngle edit of 'Sjyfall' is nice, but yep, it certainly misses something. Very much probably the full-length version will fix it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:43 pm 

Lane wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

But oh yes, certainly:

"Something's growing in my pants
As she looks into my eyes
Now I smile the whole damn night
But my dream acts cold as ice"
- Just a Little Sign

The sngle edit of 'Sjyfall' is nice, but yep, it certainly misses something. Very much probably the full-length version will fix it.

Damn, how did I overlook that stroke of brilliance?

I also love that that was the first thing you hear on that fucking album. Haha.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:41 pm 

I like the bridge a lot. Sounds almost like psychedelic power metal, with clean guitars and weird influences popping up.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:50 pm 

The song's actually pretty decent, even as an edited version. There are some solid riffs in there and Kiske and Hansen both sound good.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:54 am 

Found this randomly, enjoy before it gets pulled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvr19yjEag

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:50 am 

Took me 4 listens, where I gradually liked it more and more. I give it a 9 now. I am not expecting great things from the album, basically I'm eager to hear the intro to Skyfall (Kai is good with intros!) and I'm hoping that Weikath will also have a good song. Not expecting anything from Deris personally. Markus' song was eh...6 at best.

I was quite disappointed to read that Deris has five songs on the album and Kai has one. Then I read an interview that Kai had offered 3 songs, two of which got rejected. And here, cynical bastard as I am, I don't believe that Deris' 5 songs are better than Kai's... I just believe that Andi, who comes off as this magnanimous, no-ego frontman, deliberately gets the credits (earnings) for half the album that will sell many times over what they used to sell the past 20 years because of the Kiske/Hansen comeback... Shame. But I guess that was the price for the reunion...

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:55 am 

The Markus song was good, but it actually sounded like any other Helloween writer other than him IMO. I need to give it a few more listens, but it kinda feels like both songs are deliberately ignoring Andi on vocals - perhaps because he's favoured more heavily on the songs he wrote?

Re: the comment above about Kai offering 3 songs, it does seem odd that he only gets 1 song on the album. Especially given that it's the longest song, and the first single, so clearly the one they are banking on to elevate/promote the record, and then to reject two other songs.

I don't share the same vendetta against songs written by Andi - I find just about all of them other than Markus write some great songs and some ok songs (Markus is all quality though).

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:29 pm 

Who knows what actually went on behind the scenes when it came down to deciding what material would make the album? I don't know how much politicking the members of Helloween engage in but at some point, they had to figure out what was good enough to use. Ideally, it would be great if everyone contributed equally and got equal credit, but that's never really how these things work out. Maybe the rejected material can be reworked for a future release or for one of Hansen's other projects.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:50 pm 

He already said that he will use them in the future elsewhere, I'd like him to tell us then which ones they are.

I have to repeat, I am just cynical, I don't actually know and probably nobody but the band does, how they really picked the songs. But it makes sense too, I think Deris owns the name, I can see him taking 50% and others not being able to really do something about that. But as a Kai fanboy, I really wish I could hear those songs.

Vic's Dungeon:

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:51 pm 

He does own part of the name of Helloween. It was part of the deal offered to him by Weiki to side with him in voting out Roland and Uli.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:37 pm 

I don't know anything about how Helloween works behind the scenes, but does Deris have a reputation for being an egomaniac? I can't say I've ever read or heard anything about him wanting more control or a bigger billing or anything similar.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:38 am 

On the contrary, like I said, mostly people say he hasn't got an ego, who made way to bring back Kiske and Hansen and is actually the one that made the reunion happen.

Vic's Dungeon:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:27 pm 

metroplex wrote:
He does own part of the name of Helloween. It was part of the deal offered to him by Weiki to side with him in voting out Roland and Uli.

do you have a source for this? i have been told he owns the leading percentage of equity, which explains him running the band effectively, but i haven't been able to verify it 100%...

BleedingMoon wrote:
Those lyrics.................................yeah.

it's the subject matter that does it for me. super cheesy for 2021.

the lyrics on the keeper albums were well-written in good english and with a lot of double entendres that you need to be over fluent in english to "get", even if the subject matter was funny/daft.

then Kai left and we got lines like "I know you own so much ability" which are basically babelfish before babelfish :/

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:15 pm 

No one in Helloween ever struck me as a wordsmith (aside from maybe Kai Hansen) so the lyrics are about par for a course for a power metal band whose members aren't perhaps fluent enough in English to be able to write the kind of lyrics people would want them to write. For power metal like this I don't really focus on the lyrics so much, they're kind of superfluous compared to the actual music.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:22 pm 

I disagree. there's wordplay on "daft" songs like dr.stein or rise and fall that's well beyond most power metal bands I know of. and lots of vocabulary overall, not first degree english words...

and lyrics matter to me. I cringe if I realize I'm singing along to something that doesn't make sense...

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm 

I find power metal, in general, to be cheesy enough that I don't really care that much if the lyrics are more nonsensical than usual, as long as I can generally make out the gist of what they're saying. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if you had more great lyricists, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:29 pm 

I was just thinking of their recent albums when I said that about their lyrics. The ones I play the most - Dark Ride, Keeper III, Gambling - don't really have very good lyrics. I love good lyrics but the lack of them doesn't ruin those albums for me.

Rico McPato
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:50 pm 

aloof wrote:
metroplex wrote:

do you have a source for this? i have been told he owns the leading percentage of equity, which explains him running the band effectively, but i haven't been able to verify it 100%...

:/

Helloween Gbr is the entity that owns the trademarks

https://trademarkers.com/EUIPO/01700179 ... -karlsruhe

From what I understand here it is property of Deris, Weikath and Grosskopf. There is no information about shares, although the fact that Grosskopf is last and not in alphabetical order is suggestive.

https://branchenbuch.meinestadt.de/karl ... y/13769019

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:16 pm 

Interesting, I guess we don't know if it's an equal partnership between the three of them.

Rico McPato
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Interesting, I guess we don't know if it's an equal partnership between the three of them.

I would be surprised if Markus has an equal share, which seems might be consistent with the fact that he is listed last. The split between Deris and Weikath would be interesting to know. It does seem from outside that especially in the last decade or so Deris makes most of the decisions, composes most of the music, and that he was the main driver behind the reunion. Weikath seems happy to have taken a more secondary role.

Ragemanistan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 pm 

I've been of the belief that if you want good lyrics then go buy a poetry book or hit the greeting cards section. If you want good guitars, check out a European Metal band.

I liked the video . . . didn't love it, but it brought back some old school vibes. Nice to see the guys getting along again.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 am 

Rico McPato wrote:
Helloween Gbr is the entity that owns the trademarks

Spoiler: show
https://trademarkers.com/EUIPO/017001793/trademark-Helloween-granted-to-helloween-gbr-karlsruhe

From what I understand here it is property of Deris, Weikath and Grosskopf. There is no information about shares, although the fact that Grosskopf is last and not in alphabetical order is suggestive.

https://branchenbuch.meinestadt.de/karl ... y/13769019

thanks for this, I hadn't thought those records might be public. some countries are funny :D

Ragemanistan wrote:
I've been of the belief that if you want good lyrics then go buy a poetry book or hit the greeting cards section. If you want good guitars, check out a European Metal band.

I find it genuinely worrying that you think a Hallmark rhyme is better than metal lyricists :p

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:33 am 

This rules. I actually loved the outro with all the layered vocals, like an Avantasia track, justmissing Jorn Lande. Can't wait for the ful version

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 am 

The full version was uploaded a month ago, a day after this topic died. So, there you have it for those who haven't heard it yet.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:54 am 

thanks for posting this... while it sounds a bit better without the cuts, it's still very cheap and derivative to my ears... and it mentions "hangar 18" twice (from 5:33 on) which is yikes :/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next