Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:38 am 

Blaze Bayley got a new album coming up. It's not every day you see song titles with Turing, Tesla and Hawking in them.

01. War Within Me
02. 303
03. Warrior
04. Pull Yourself Up
05. Witches Night
06. 18 Flights
07. The Dream of Alan Turing
08. The Power of Nikola Tesla
09. The Unstoppable Stephen Hawking
10. Every Storm Ends

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:00 am 

Those titles make me think there might be a mini-concept of sorts going on, which is great news as Blaze usually delivers in that respect. The last four songs on Promise and Terror come to mind.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:39 am 

His concept trilogy turned out pretty well for the most part so I'm pretty intrigued to see how this album will build on that momentum, especially since it's keeping up the scientific theming. The cover art is a little goofy but that comes with the territory at this point.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:00 am 

Those last three were the best things he's done. Hoping this keeps up the energy.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:56 pm 

those three oddly-specific song titles make me worry a bit we might have a repeat of the King of Metal Dimebag thing. but whatever, still looking forward to it. the William Black trilogy wasn't perfect but it was an ambitious project that he pulled off pretty well, and did great club shows off the back of it. Will always see him when he comes to town now.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:49 pm 

At this point I wish he'd do something like "The Man Who Would Not Die" again because to me that's basically his own "Painkiller". His voice only got better with age!

I've also grown to like "The X Factor" quite a bit over time, after getting accustomed to Blaze's unique vocals. Might be Maiden's most consistent 90s/00s record.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:03 am 

I liked the last trilogy a lot so I am up for this!!

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:32 pm 

The title track of The Man Who Would Not Die definitely hits like Painkiller. he has a LOT of good songs that can absolutely send a venue mad. he deserves bigger than the clubs he's playing, but since he's scraping by okay, maybe this is the best route for him making a living without a label.

sadly Wolfsbane took a break from their Christmas shows last year, and obviously they aren't happening this year. he's great with them too.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:53 am 

New song. Sounds pretty good, guitars are at the front and Blaze sounds better than on last albums.

Spoiler: show

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:20 am 

Sounds like Blaze is doing what he do and I am still all about it.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:42 pm 

Blaze Bayley is an exceptional and underrated singer. People trash on him for his poor performance back in his Iron Maiden days, but I think it's more Maiden's fault for not accommodating his voice (eg. downtuning instruments).

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:22 am 

I like the new song, it's energetic, fresh and loud heavy metal. It's a step forward for me after the trilogy that was critically acclaimed but that I found rather underwhelming and by the numbers. Another thing that needs to be improved is Blaze Bayley putting his face on his album covers as I'm sure there would have been much better ideas with the scientific trilogy for instance.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:42 pm 

This is ripping stuff - a bit different from how the trilogy sounded, but good. Super heavy and kinetic. Blaze sounds awesome. Ought to be a corker if it's all on this level.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:43 am 

Wow that guitar tone is killer, it really fits the fast, USPM-like riffing! Gave me some master control vibes.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:41 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
The title track of The Man Who Would Not Die definitely hits like Painkiller. he has a LOT of good songs that can absolutely send a venue mad. he deserves bigger than the clubs he's playing, but since he's scraping by okay, maybe this is the best route for him making a living without a label.

I've got a lot of time for the Blaze Bayley's of the world - proper hard working people that do it for the love of the thing. It'd be much easier to quit & get a job in Tesco or something, but he doesn't, good for him.

The music's usually good too, must try this out later :D

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 pm 

hallowed78 wrote:
New song. Sounds pretty good, guitars are at the front and Blaze sounds better than on last albums.

The production sounds a little off to me: the drums are almost non-existent and the guitars are a tad bit loud while there's no bass at all.

Cool song though, hopefully this production ain't final.

Blaze's vocals have only gone uphill since his 40s.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:48 am 

Second song. Really liking the way this album is going, but yes, I could use a bit more bass in the mix.

Spoiler: show

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:40 am 

Listening to the album on Spotify. Pretty solid stuff, no nonsense heavy metal all the way. The Dream of Alan Turing is a highlight on a first listen.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:59 am 

Yeah, I've given it a listen and it seems pretty good. Will definitely get a few more spins from me.

Also, the cover looks like Blaze has been added into a Kreator album sleeve.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:21 am 

First listen is pretty solid, not much blowing my mind yet but the production sounds a lot more solid compared to his other recent albums. Almost feels like a Silicon throwback in a way.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:50 am 

I think it's Blaze Bayley's best album since The King of Metal. It offers emotional heavy metal without any lengths. First highlights for me are power ballad ''Warrior'', energetic and uplifting ''Pull Yourself Up'', melodic and playful ''The Unstoppable Stephen Hawking'' and quiet closer ''Every Storm Ends''.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:28 am 

This thing is getting better as it goes along - some sweet riffs and Blaze sounds great. He's definitely one of these guys who's aged gracefully and is just powering it out now. His material always has a few little twists and turns, too, which sets it apart from your usual power/trad acts. There's just something very impassioned and personal about it all.

I do wish it pushed the boundaries more like the third installment of his trilogy, which is my favorite thing he's done. But it's all very solid.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:20 am 

Available for full listening here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=O ... HZGSgM_d_I

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:25 am 

This is great. Straightforward fun metal for the most part. The album The King of Metal (a total dud imo) was trying to be. Hopefully see him on tour this year.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:15 am 

Great stuff, surprised by this. Need to go back to some of the stuff he's done lately, The King of Metal I found really poor and put me off checking out anything afterwards until now.

Who plays on this album anyway? Blaze is the only musician listed in the credits on the m-a page.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 am 

Like a lot of you I stopped following him after King of Metal for a while. Then I heard some of the songs from his trilogy and was blown away - it's in the same vein as this but a little more expansive and slightly proggy for him at times. Really ambitious for an old school dude like him. Try them out if you liked this.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:50 am 

Legit rocks. Love the swing in the interplay of the drums and some of the riffs - it's really punchy as well as possessing melody while dripping with hooks. I spin Blood and Belief from time to time while lifting, and there are a few on here that are in the title track's league for me.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:52 pm 

I just checked this out and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I guess I have to check out his trilogy now if the music is on the same level as this album.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm 

Oh do check out the William Black trilogy if you haven't and you are fond of Silicon Messiah/Tenth Dimension. King of Metal was a misstep between his second line-up and him taking on the Appleton brothers of Manchester heavy metal band Absolva. I mean, it's not a gripping story plot-wise (are concept albums ever?) but it's got great atmosphere and some brilliant songs. The last album was a bit of a let down initially for me but I now think it's all really solid stuff, but the first (Infinite Entanglement) is still the best.

They're a really solid live band now, especially since Chris Appleton has to be the one guitarist for something rooted in Maiden dual harmonies (although these days, it is a lot easier to have harmonies running through the PA). Will definitely see him every time he tours. I mean it helps the shows are like £10. Spend more on booze.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:06 pm 

Gave this a listen the other night - it's not bad, the music is pretty cool, and his vocals are still really good considering, but JEEZ the production is flat. There's no low end at all! I'm not sure why anyone would produce an album like this in 2021, but hey. Maybe after a few more listens I won't care.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
Oh do check out the William Black trilogy if you haven't and you are fond of Silicon Messiah/Tenth Dimension. King of Metal was a misstep between his second line-up and him taking on the Appleton brothers of Manchester heavy metal band Absolva. I mean, it's not a gripping story plot-wise (are concept albums ever?) but it's got great atmosphere and some brilliant songs. The last album was a bit of a let down initially for me but I now think it's all really solid stuff, but the first (Infinite Entanglement) is still the best.

They're a really solid live band now, especially since Chris Appleton has to be the one guitarist for something rooted in Maiden dual harmonies (although these days, it is a lot easier to have harmonies running through the PA). Will definitely see him every time he tours. I mean it helps the shows are like £10. Spend more on booze.

I just started listening to Infinite Entanglement and I see what you mean. I'll definitely give the other albums a listen.

ksjogo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:13 am 

Missed the release and giving it some whirls now.
Seems like good standard Blaze stuff.
Hope to catch him live again.

UndeadHalfOrc
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 am 

Excellent album. My favorite of 2021 so far.
It blows the recent Iron Maiden snoozefest out of the sky.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:09 pm 

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:
...My favorite of 2021 so far...the recent Iron Maiden...

Hey, it's mine, too!!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:32 am 

I've been listening to the first two Infinite Entanglement discs solidly for several weeks now. I really like them, Calling You Home, A Thousand Years and Endure and Survive are absolutely awesome songs.

War Within Me is also pretty good. Kind of love the Hawking song. It's cheesy but awesome.

Reply to topic