Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:38 am 

I'm really impressed with the latest album from Pathology, The Everlasting Plague. They really came into their own with the last one Reborn to Kill, and the new one builds on the signature "Pathology"-sound but feels more exciting than they've felt for a long time.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:05 am 

Curious_dead wrote:

Well, apparently my stand out of the year was actually released in 2020 (Demoniac - So it goes).

I know we talked about this somewhere else, but after looking into it, the album was released locally in October/November 2020 and globally in 2021 (through bandcamp and Edged Circle records). I am now inclined to include this in my top of 2021. What's the policy here in this case?

edit, oops:
NP: Mystic Storm - Из хаоса древних времен/From The Ancient Chaos
The Russian power/thrash band with the Dawn Crosby sound-alike on vocals. Very good stuff. For an extra twist, they sing in their native tongue.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:58 am 

Stranguliatorius - Doctor's Orders: Do Not Touch!

Spoiler: show

Metal Archives states this is death metal and grindcore, however this album appears to have little grind in it, apart from maybe the murky production. I'm liking the sound of this.

https://stranguliatorius.bandcamp.com/

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:00 pm 

This one's perfect for Christmas family gatherings.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:43 am 

In Mourning - The Bleeding Veil

Juist had a quick spin with this, released today.
Melodic death metal from Sweden if you’re not familiar with them. Sounds really good. Bra skit!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:11 pm 

Imperialist - Zenith

First album I have heard by them and enjoying it a lot. Sci-fi black metal with strong Dissection vibes. Came out a couple days ago on Transcending Obscurity.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:00 pm 

The new Lock Up is one of the best grind records I've heard this year. The interplay between Lindberg and Sharp is pretty interesting and Adam Jarvis utterly demolishes on drums.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:08 am 

Mental Devastation - The Delusional Mystery Of The Self part I
Chilean thrash metal, half-comprised by members of Critical Defiance. They play very good, technical and riff-rich thrash in the Forbidden vein (ok, not as glorious obviously, because who is?), both guitar-wise and vocal-wise. Already listened to it twice today and it's crazy enjoyable.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:42 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Vertebra Atlantis - Lustral Purge In Cerulean Bliss

https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... lean-bliss

Really enjoying this one today that is being released tomorrow on Voidhanger records. Seems the band is not on the archives yet, but they are another band playing dissonant black/death.

I second this. Very-very good album!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:02 am 

I'll concur on both In Mourning and Lock Up's albums being worthwhile. I considered posting about them myself, but was going to wait for a second listen since I'm not sure if they're top 10 quality material yet. Very good regardless. I'm still undecided on Lindberg's voice of late, he has three new releases out in the last few months and it definitely sounds very different than it used to.

And speaking of grind, Galvanizer's Prying Sight of Imperception really surprised me. I'm not usually a huge deathgrind guy, but this already was really delivering for me throughout, with a beefy tone and powerful vocals, and then it took it up a notch especially on the final track, with a surprisingly melodic ending. There are bits of melody throughout, but if the ending is too much for you, most of the album is more like the first three minutes.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:56 pm 

New Teeth EP is some crushing death metal.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:14 pm 

https://godheadmachinery.bandcamp.com/a ... nslavement

I found the new Godhead Machinery - Monotheistic Enslavement to be a big improvement on their previous releases and worth checking out.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:57 pm 

jjohn wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
Vertebra Atlantis - Lustral Purge In Cerulean Bliss

https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... lean-bliss

Really enjoying this one today that is being released tomorrow on Voidhanger records. Seems the band is not on the archives yet, but they are another band playing dissonant black/death.

I second this. Very-very good album!

This one's cool. I was pleasantly surprised that it's not really dissonant black/death as I first thought but rather death and almost death/doom with some symphonic touches here and there.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:15 am 

Bloodmessiah. This was intended to be the next Amon album

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:27 am 

Out early - legit masterpiece, will almost surely be my AOTY

ETHEREAL SHROUD - Trisagion

https://etherealshroud.bandcamp.com/album/trisagion

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:13 pm 

I mentioned it another thread recently, but it deserves to be here as well. Lethian Dreams' latest EP (kind of a misnomer because it's over a half-hour) Last Echoes of Silence is much lighter than their normal ethereal doomgaze albums, but there are a few somewhat heavier tracks, and the whole thing is sublime and worth hearing regardless, especially if you like music similar to Trees of Eternity.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:38 pm 

The new Unanimated record is one of if not the best melodic black/death releases I've heard this year. It's super riffy and probably the most thrash influenced release in their discography, and there are a ton of catchy melodies scattered throughout each song. The final track The Poetry of the Scarred Earth is an awesome closer, it's like their take on Blood Fire Death era Bathory.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:19 pm 

New REVEAL, for fans of psychedelic death/black metal:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:27 am 

The new Cadaveric Fumes full length is really good, for fans of psychedelic death metal.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:23 pm 

I mean their last release was very much psychedelic, in this one I'm not hearing that much other than the ambient track. This is pretty cool, but their wacky surf rock guitars and tones were incredible in the last EP and I was really hoping for more of that rather than a return to relative normalcy.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:13 pm 

pfk505 wrote:

Great album, definitely one-ups his first one. I might actually be placing this high myself.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:34 am 

Here's a stream of the new Phrenelith album, on first listen it's as good as I'd hoped it'd be.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:05 pm 

The full album stream for the new Funeral album is up. I'm still in my first listen but I like what I'm hearing so far.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:24 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Here's a stream of the new Phrenelith album, on first listen it's as good as I'd hoped it'd be.

Nice! One of my favorite things about Phrenelith is when the drummer does those double bass rolls but switches to triplets in the middle of the beat and then back again. This is all over the first track so I know I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this album.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:23 pm 

Normally I'm more into Swedish bands, but man, Finland is killing it this year. Hanging Garden's Skeleton Lake is a killer melodic death/doom album that is instantly a contender. It reminds me of Dark Tranquillity's slower, more atmospheric tracks in their earlier career, but with more gothic overtones.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:55 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Gold Spire - Gold Spire

Death/doom with saxophone and flute. Sounds great.

https://chaos-records.bandcamp.com/album/gold-spire

Wow, super impressed with this one. Saxophone has to be one of the most underrated instruments in metal. I'm kind of surprised they're archived, it's more like quirky jazz/fusion with some death/doom sections. Way less metallic than say, Panzerballett to me, but the mods don't hear things the same as I do, I suppose. Killer album anyway, definitely an honorable mention even if it doesn't make my own list.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:45 am 

Haven't seen this posted yet:
Serpent of the Abyss - Wrapped in Darkness

For fans of Funereal Presence!

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:43 am 

I missed out on Horrendum Vermis releasing a new album. I was very impressed by the previous one, and the new one carries on in similar manner - brutally epic Lovecraftian OSDM.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:02 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Wow, super impressed with this one. Saxophone has to be one of the most underrated instruments in metal. I'm kind of surprised they're archived, it's more like quirky jazz/fusion with some death/doom sections. Way less metallic than say, Panzerballett to me, but the mods don't hear things the same as I do, I suppose. Killer album anyway, definitely an honorable mention even if it doesn't make my own list.

Glad you're liking it. :) It might crack my top 10 but will need to see.

MxAxMxA - Долгожданный первенец

Crazy Russian grindcore that's apparently supposed to be humorous. If I spoke any Russian I'm sure I'd be lolling.

https://mxaxmxa.bandcamp.com/album/--3

The Temple - The Temple

If you find Ulcerate to be a bit suffocating, this is the next logical substitute. Even has the drummer from Ulcerate producing this album. Very cool death metal with hints of dissonance.

https://thetemplenz.bandcamp.com/releases

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:29 pm 

The second half of 2021 has been so much stronger than the first half. A few months ago I was worried about filling out my list with great albums. Now it's getting tougher each day with some releases growing on me and continually finding new ones.

Here's another excellent one, Untrue from Black Sites. It kind of sounds like if a visionary 00s prog metal band was recording back in the 70s (but very different from Opeth).

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:01 pm 

New Pyrexia is out tomorrow. Really digging it with the NYHC influence, and tasty breakdowns.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:06 pm 

[quote The Temple - The Temple

If you find Ulcerate to be a bit suffocating, this is the next logical substitute. Even has the drummer from Ulcerate producing this album. Very cool death metal with hints of dissonance.

https://thetemplenz.bandcamp.com/releases[/quote]

Thanks for recommend. Really good stuff.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:05 am 

My top Death Metal of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPc1O9kvA0

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:57 am 

Lord Tempestuous wrote:
My top Death Metal of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPc1O9kvA0

that engulfed ep is a 2020 release

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:48 am 

pfk505 wrote:

So, does anyone know why the hell does it say, in the band's M-A page, that Ethereal Shroud split up? I really can't get it. This album got released just now, seems to be doing pretty well on Bandcamp and i don't have any substantial info on the band's status.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:14 am 

New Swedish style melodic black metal from Belgium from Darkest Mind:

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:31 am 

gzusrocker wrote:
pfk505 wrote:

So, does anyone know why the hell does it say, in the band's M-A page, that Ethereal Shroud split up? I really can't get it. This album got released just now, seems to be doing pretty well on Bandcamp and i don't have any substantial info on the band's status.

Here is what the artist said about it:

I feel that now Trisagion has had the chance to hit the wider space, now is the best time to announce the following: Trisagion will be the final Ethereal Shroud album.
This was planned from the beginning. I knew Trisagion would be the final work that I'd do as Ethereal Shroud. I'm thankful to those who have been aware but have respected my wishes to keep it secret and allow me the chance to announce this fact when I was ready. As a means of artistic expression, Ethereal Shroud has now said all it needs to say.

I'm unsure what's next for me, but I'll keep you all updated here with what comes next artistically from me.

He has spoken many times about how emotionally taxing a process it is for him to create this music, so I was not surprised at the announcement. With that said, plenty of artists have said similar things, and then resurfaced later, even sometimes under the old moniker. I doubt that will happen here. I just hope we hear more from JH as he's a tremendous musician (his other dormant project Of Solitude and Solemn is also great by the way).

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:46 am 

The new Vahrzaw album is out as well, a great blend of black, death and thrash metal.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:51 am 

pfk505 wrote:
gzusrocker wrote:
pfk505 wrote:

Here is what the artist said about it:

I feel that now Trisagion has had the chance to hit the wider space, now is the best time to announce the following: Trisagion will be the final Ethereal Shroud album.
This was planned from the beginning. I knew Trisagion would be the final work that I'd do as Ethereal Shroud. I'm thankful to those who have been aware but have respected my wishes to keep it secret and allow me the chance to announce this fact when I was ready. As a means of artistic expression, Ethereal Shroud has now said all it needs to say.

I'm unsure what's next for me, but I'll keep you all updated here with what comes next artistically from me.

He has spoken many times about how emotionally taxing a process it is for him to create this music, so I was not surprised at the announcement. With that said, plenty of artists have said similar things, and then resurfaced later, even sometimes under the old moniker. I doubt that will happen here. I just hope we hear more from JH as he's a tremendous musician (his other dormant project Of Solitude and Solemn is also great by the way).

Yeah, that was taken from his Facebook, so there's your source. Oh well, nothing lasts but nothing is lost. He also announced that the 2021 recording of the song "Lanterns" was included on some label's suicide prevention sampler. I forget the name of said label, but it nyp on Bandcamp though proceeds if you do spend money go to a suicide prevention charity. If anyone remembers the label name that's doing this, please post it because I'm at work right now. Otherwise I'll get to it later.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:32 pm 

I can't actually share any music because it hasn't been released, but NoEvDia just dropped a surprise announcement that there's a new Funeral Mist album coming out next week titled Deiform:

https://funeralmist.bandcamp.com/album/deiform

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next