Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:27 pm 

Blood Veinen wrote:
The new Fluisteraars album Gegrepen Door de Geest der Zielsontluiking was released today and it's an absolutely fantastic piece of black metal. They've gone a bit back towards the rawer sound of Luwte & De Oord compared to Bloem but songwriting still feels like a seamless continuation from their previous full album. The 20-minute third song is some journey. Incredible band: https://fluisteraars.bandcamp.com/album ... ontluiking

Came here to post this. For my money they are the best black metal band going right now. Another incredible addition to their near-perfect discography.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:00 pm 

I'm jamming the new album from The Slow Death right now, it's really solid atmospheric death/doom as usual.

The new Wormwitch is solid blackened thrash, maybe not as good as The Heaven That Dwells Within but still pretty good.

Also, for those into cosmic death metal, check out the new full length from Devoid of Thought

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:32 am 

Blood Veinen wrote:
The new Fluisteraars album Gegrepen Door de Geest der Zielsontluiking was released today and it's an absolutely fantastic piece of black metal. They've gone a bit back towards the rawer sound of Luwte & De Oord compared to Bloem but songwriting still feels like a seamless continuation from their previous full album. The 20-minute third song is some journey. Incredible band: https://fluisteraars.bandcamp.com/album ... ontluiking

I wasn't a big fan of Bloem but this one is easily their best. It gets better as it goes on.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:54 am 

What do people think of the new Nunslaughter? To me it sounds way faster, tighter, and more aggressive than any of their other full-lengths. Their punk influences are largely absent, and while I certainly love that side of the group, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing here, as the more aggressive sound seems to suit them just fine. Likewise, the songs are varied and well-written, the performances are inspired, and there are plenty of killer riffs throughout. It's definitely a step up from Angelic Dread, which seemed to be lacking character and felt pretty homogenous at times. I'll be remembering this one during list season, that's for sure.

Blood Veinen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:56 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Blood Veinen wrote:

I wasn't a big fan of Bloem but this one is easily their best. It gets better as it goes on.

Yeah, same for me. Although Bloem I think was very enjoyable, I feel it's overall not quite as memorable as Oeverloos from the De Oord split or the best songs from Luwte. This new one is absolutely huge though and I'm definitely happy with this shift back in sound. Easily top5 material this year.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:49 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Blood Veinen wrote:

Came here to post this. For my money they are the best black metal band going right now. Another incredible addition to their near-perfect discography.

It is absolutely spellbinding. The mark of a great record when you can't wait to hit repeat when it's just about over. Will be right up there among the best this year.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:07 am 

praey wrote:
What do people think of the new Nunslaughter? To me it sounds way faster, tighter, and more aggressive than any of their other full-lengths. Their punk influences are largely absent, and while I certainly love that side of the group, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing here, as the more aggressive sound seems to suit them just fine. Likewise, the songs are varied and well-written, the performances are inspired, and there are plenty of killer riffs throughout. It's definitely a step up from Angelic Dread, which seemed to be lacking character and felt pretty homogenous at times. I'll be remembering this one during list season, that's for sure.

I've given it a full listen and I think it actually might be their best full length, I'm a huge fan of Hell's Unholy Fire though so I dunno could be a "shiny new thing" but I definitely think it is a toss up for me at the present. Just love the sound and tone, songs like Broken and Alone and To a Whore are some of my favourite tunes they've ever done. It's catchy and heavy and exactly what I was looking for right now. Awesome.

marc1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:37 am 

I am very curious about the upcoming Infidel Reich album.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:51 pm 

Issolei just released 3 albums and they are fantastic. Dissonant black metal or something like that, they remind me of Deathspell Omega sometimes but they have a very original and personal take on that sound.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:25 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Issolei just released 3 albums and they are fantastic. Dissonant black metal or something like that, they remind me of Deathspell Omega sometimes but they have a very original and personal take on that sound.

This is awesome! And 3x releases out of nowhere...? Who the hell even are these guys??
Yes it does sound a bit like DsO, it's disso black, it's bound to share some dna, but that doesn't diminish the material, in my opinion.

Excellent find, thanks for sharing.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:05 am 

New album "The Broken Seal" coming in 10th of September for death\black metal band Lvcifyre

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:37 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
I'm jamming the new album from The Slow Death right now, it's really solid atmospheric death/doom as usual.

It's so strange. I love their debut and "The Prodigal Son" is straight-up one of my favorite songs of all time, but I just haven't cared all that much for anything else they've done.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:10 am 

marc1978 wrote:
I am very curious about the upcoming Infidel Reich album.

Aldrahn333 wrote:
New album "The Broken Seal" coming in 10th of September for death\black metal band Lvcifyre

here's the thread for that stuff: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129507

Kalaratri wrote:
Also, for those into cosmic death metal, check out the new full length from Devoid of Thought

really liking this - a possible contender for debut of the year for me i think

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:04 pm 

I discovered Veil of Conspiracy recently and I'm really digging their brand of melodic death/doom metal.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:19 pm 

Aldrahn333 wrote:

Decibel Magazine premiered the full album in advance here:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2021/09/07/full-album-stream-lvcifyre-the-broken-seal/

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:04 am 

currently enjoying diskord's new album - for fans of the more off-kilter/avant-gardish death metal variety

SquirrelHunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:30 am 

Thrashy tech death with fantastic vocals and soft production. This album is my first encounter with this band and not by any means does it sound like Deathspell Omega, Ulcerate or Beyond Creation as MA's 'similar artists' suggests, so I guess there might be a shift of styles on this one. Still I fail to pinpoint a close comparison at the moment.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:24 pm 

The new Inferi album is solid as usual, well written technical melodic death metal.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:37 am 

If you're in the mood for some dissonant death metal, the new Replicant album does a pretty good job of scratching that itch.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:43 pm 

For anyone into Fall of the Leafe, their guitarist has a new band called Autumnfall that continues the early Fall of the Leafe sound. If you're at all into medieval sounding black metal like Obsequiae this album is well worth checking out.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:34 pm 

This new Beastlurker record is another one I'm really digging at the moment:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:24 pm 

I debated whether to include this in this thread because it's not a metal album, although it's by a metal band. Anyway, Hail Spirit Noir just released a new synthwave album yesterday.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:17 pm 

I don't think anyone posted about it yet, but the new Ondfødt record is pretty solid.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:43 pm 

Is anyone else finding that there seems to be a lot of good albums released this year, but not very many great ones? I posted something like this near the end of February, but now we're in the final third of the year, and I'm getting more worried. Granted, a decent number of my higher '20 releases came out in the fall, or I didn't discover them until then, but still, I'm well ahead of my new listening volume compared to this point last year and I'm getting a bit antsy about the lack of many real favorites. There are too many albums that I enjoyed but just don't feel drawn to revisit much yet. A number of them will probably be great contenders for spots 11-30, but at this point there isn't much I'm confident deserves top 10 status. I'm hoping additional listens to some of these will make me think more favorably of them as well.

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Perilaxe Occlusion demo Raytraces of Death is really good. I have to say that using 3D modeling and rendering techniques as a lyrical theme is pretty unique, even if the music itself is not necessarily anything new. In any case, these guys know how to write well-crafted songs in this style of OSDM I'm more than happy to listen to it.

Spoiler: show

I normally don't check bands out who have yet to release a full-length, but I ran across a recommendation for them elsewhere that intrigued me and I gave in. I'm really glad I did, this is quite a quality release, and I hope they do turn out a full album soon. There's a fair amount of variety in terms of tempos and such, touching on quite a few potential sources of influence without sounding too much like any other particular band, so it's an easy relisten.

Kalaratri wrote:
If you're looking for dissonant death metal, I'd suggest you give the new Crypts of Despair album a go.

Saw this mentioned again at another place, finally checked it out, and quite enjoyed it. There's definitely some dissonance going on, but I'd actually say there's quite a bit of melody as well. There are moments that remind me of Daylight Dies.

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Inferi album is solid as usual, well written technical melodic death metal.

Usually I have to be in the right mood for ultra-techy stuff these days, but the single "Mesmeric Horror" really caught my ear. The rest of the album didn't hit me as hard, but that track is quite something.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:13 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Is anyone else finding that there seems to be a lot of good albums released this year, but not very many great ones?

I find that to be the case basically every year, but I guess that really depends on where one draws the line between "good" and "great" and whether there's something beyond the latter and between the two.

If I find 3-5 metal albums in a year that I think are all "great", to me that is a very successful year. I'd say, for example, that The Ruins of Beverast, Suffering Hour and Siderean all released great albums this year - with first mentioned being fantastic, and then there's a whole bunch of good-to-very-good albums filling out the remainder of my top 10.

I guess it comes down to how many great albums do you expect a year to have on average, and how you define great albums.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:02 am 

Ruins of Beverast, Todd LaTorre, Spectral Wound, Steel Bearing Hand, Pharaoh, Helloween, Maiden and Darkthrone have all had good shit. Looking forward to the new Carcass too.

Edit - Sommo Inquisitore, Wardrum and Sunrise are up there, too.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:08 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Is anyone else finding that there seems to be a lot of good albums released this year, but not very many great ones?

I find that to be the case basically every year, but I guess that really depends on where one draws the line between "good" and "great" and whether there's something beyond the latter and between the two.

If I find 3-5 metal albums in a year that I think are all "great", to me that is a very successful year. I'd say, for example, that The Ruins of Beverast, Suffering Hour and Siderean all released great albums this year - with first mentioned being fantastic, and then there's a whole bunch of good-to-very-good albums filling out the remainder of my top 10.

I guess it comes down to how many great albums do you expect a year to have on average, and how you define great albums.

For me, the new Mefitis and Hooded Menace are 80-something-%-albums...given the style that they play that's good enough for me. Several other new albums fall in the 70-something % range, but you can't expect everything to sound fantastic either, right?

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 am 

New Infidel Reich album, anyone?

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:43 am 

The debut album from Modern Rites is quite good:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:18 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Is anyone else finding that there seems to be a lot of good albums released this year, but not very many great ones? I posted something like this near the end of February, but now we're in the final third of the year, and I'm getting more worried. Granted, a decent number of my higher '20 releases came out in the fall, or I didn't discover them until then, but still, I'm well ahead of my new listening volume compared to this point last year and I'm getting a bit antsy about the lack of many real favorites. There are too many albums that I enjoyed but just don't feel drawn to revisit much yet. A number of them will probably be great contenders for spots 11-30, but at this point there isn't much I'm confident deserves top 10 status. I'm hoping additional listens to some of these will make me think more favorably of them as well.

Kalaratri wrote:
The new Perilaxe Occlusion demo Raytraces of Death is really good. I have to say that using 3D modeling and rendering techniques as a lyrical theme is pretty unique, even if the music itself is not necessarily anything new. In any case, these guys know how to write well-crafted songs in this style of OSDM I'm more than happy to listen to it.

I normally don't check bands out who have yet to release a full-length, but I ran across a recommendation for them elsewhere that intrigued me and I gave in. I'm really glad I did, this is quite a quality release, and I hope they do turn out a full album soon. There's a fair amount of variety in terms of tempos and such, touching on quite a few potential sources of influence without sounding too much like any other particular band, so it's an easy relisten.

Kalaratri wrote:
If you're looking for dissonant death metal, I'd suggest you give the new Crypts of Despair album a go.

Saw this mentioned again at another place, finally checked it out, and quite enjoyed it. There's definitely some dissonance going on, but I'd actually say there's quite a bit of melody as well. There are moments that remind me of Daylight Dies.

Kalaratri wrote:

Usually I have to be in the right mood for ultra-techy stuff these days, but the single "Mesmeric Horror" really caught my ear. The rest of the album didn't hit me as hard, but that track is quite something.

This is the slowest year that I've experienced in a long, long time. Granted, 2021 has literally been the busiest year of my life, so I haven't been paying nearly as much attention to new releases as I normally do. Still, I've dismissed pretty much everything I've checked out in this thread since it started. I am still looking forward to Obscura. I believe that their album, along with Iotuun and Dordeduh, are going to be the only "great" albums that I'll have heard this year.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:10 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
praey wrote:

I've given it a full listen and I think it actually might be their best full length, I'm a huge fan of Hell's Unholy Fire though so I dunno could be a "shiny new thing" but I definitely think it is a toss up for me at the present. Just love the sound and tone, songs like Broken and Alone and To a Whore are some of my favourite tunes they've ever done. It's catchy and heavy and exactly what I was looking for right now. Awesome.

I just picked it up at a fest and I'm really liking it, just right up my ally in terms of death metal. Its the only album of theirs I have though so I have no comparison.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:16 am 

colin040 wrote:
For me, the new Mefitis and Hooded Menace are 80-something-%-albums...given the style that they play that's good enough for me. Several other new albums fall in the 70-something % range, but you can't expect everything to sound fantastic either, right?

Yeah I guess this all really depends on your rating scale, but I personally think having around three 90%+ albums in a year would mark it as successful, and I can't imagine it being easy to have more than five.

But this is based on the idea that 60% is enjoyable and above average, 70% is mostly good, 80% is good to very good and 90%+ great to classic.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:10 pm 

A little late to the party, but the new Drawn and Quartered album, Congregation Pestilence, is seriously awesome. Never properly checked these guys out before, but this is top-tier new school old school death metal!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:54 pm 

This was released today. Dark, cavernous death metal from members of Father Befouled.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:13 am 

This new Inferi is sick. These guys should be way bigger than they are.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:37 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
This was released today. Dark, cavernous death metal from members of Father Befouled.

The production really hampers this from initial listen. I'm a fan of the guys involved so maybe it'll grow on me

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:04 pm 

Black metal from friggin NOLA! It sounds swampy-ish and I like it. The members of Mehenet also claim to be practitioners of Quimbanda, an Afro-Brazilian religion so there's some cultural tones to their music.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:56 pm 

Two pretty solid releases I've been digging lately.

Snet's Mokvani V Okovech, new OSDM from Czechia, a bit doomy at times. Really full and natural-sounding, good reviews so far, kind of surprised that search doesn't bring up any results for them.

Another exception to my normal avoidance of bands with only EPs out, Hedonist grabbed my attention with their Sepulchral Lacerations release. Canadian DM, a bit melodic, a very nice clear yet grimy sound.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:55 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:

had to log in and comment about that shitty ass production, holy shit. Otherwise, seems to be some good music

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:08 pm 

Rude released a new EP, their first new material since 2017:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next