Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:36 pm 

VEGARD latest album Aeons of Winter Eclipse available on bandcamp, set for physical release later this year.

Sublime keyboards-driven atmospheric black metal. If you liked the earlier material it wasn't a patch on this masterpiece. Closest match would be Evilfeast but there is a unique sound carved out here.

https://vegard.bandcamp.com/album/aeons ... er-eclipse

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:12 pm 

jjohn wrote:
Today two excellent albums are being released!

Dordeduh - Har

I received the fantastic artbook yesterday but had to wait for the leak to listen (no CD tray...).
I was not disappointed, this is an excellent album. Very different than their earlier output, but has a great atmosphere and 'Vraci de Nord' is so beautiful...

This album is so fucking good. Already worth the wait - floored on my first listen. Anyone else check it out yet?

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 pm 

The Dordeduh is something special, yeah. I'm only halfway through it, but man, this is impressive stuff.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:33 pm 

I don't know, I still think the first Dordeduh album was vastly superior. This one is OK but something went missing in the 9 years wait. It sounds a lot closer to their other project (Sunset In The 12th House) than they do to Negura Bunget.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:22 pm 

I’d have to go the other way. Love that first album, but Har is so much tighter. Songwriting still has an improvisational feel that this group often brings to their compositions, but overall it’s so much more focused and cohesive. Tracks are more individually distinctive as opposed to blending into each other. I’ve played the hell out of the first album for years and there are still moments that I can recall but would not be able to tell you which track they were from. There’s not as much ambient bloat on Har either which was something about ‘Dar de duh’ that would lose my attention in its 80 minute runtime unless I was in the perfect mood.

Dordeduh seems to have straddled the line between what these guys did in Negura and what they do in Sunset... in that sense, this album sounds perfectly fitting under the Dordeduh moniker to me.

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:39 am 

Grave Miasma - Abyss of Wrathful Deities is great album, Rogyapa and Exhumation rites are probably my favourite songs.

Also been enjoying new Cannibal Corpse album.

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 am 

Awesome debut EP by this French black metal band - RüYYn

https://ruyyn.bandcamp.com/album/r-yyn

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:33 pm 

The new Majestic Downfall album sounds good so far. It's 70 minutes long and only consists of 4 tracks, but what the hell....the band knows how to retain their tunes interesting. Definitely one of the more interesting doom/death metal bands around nowadays.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:52 pm 

Trad fans should check out Tower Hill's Fighting Spirits demo. This is another random band out of Canada that is super energetic and fun heavy metal. I wouldn't compare them directly to other Canadian bands like Traveler, Riot City, Skull Fist, etc., but if you like that stuff, you should definitely like this.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:07 pm 

I've been listening to that nonstop! So much fun. Especially with a white claw in hand :) Link for the lazy: https://towerhillmetal.bandcamp.com/alb ... irits-demo

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:09 pm 

I'm loving the new Vulture album. I think I like it a little less than their last full length (which is my favorite), but other people didn't seem to enjoy that one as much as me.

Vulture - "Dealin' Death"

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:56 pm 

I've been super digging this new Malist album lately (and all 3 of his albums) Just actually looked more into the band today and noticed it's a one man project. It's overall really "chill" atmospheric sounding stuff. The vocals also standout and are mostly understandable. Aside from the new album I would check out the song called Uniformity on his first album as well. Anyway here's a linky, artwork is cool too.

https://malist.bandcamp.com/album/karst-relict

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:50 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
I've been listening to that nonstop! So much fun. Especially with a white claw in hand :) Link for the lazy: https://towerhillmetal.bandcamp.com/alb ... irits-demo

i keep hearing "drink tea and fight" in the mid track :lol: (had to look it up, and apparently it's "deep")

great stuff tho'

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:34 pm 

I haven't seen Deiquisitor - Humanoid mentioned yet. Intense no frills old school DM.

https://deiquisitor.bandcamp.com/album/humanoid

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:13 am 

Ok, so this Silver Talon album has to be some of the best power/progressive/thrash that I've heard in a long while! Riffs!!!!!

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:22 pm 

Ancient Wisdom have a new one out, randomly shipped to me a week early. I'm enjoying it a lot!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:02 pm 

I've been obsessed with Heavy Sentence - Bang to Rights lately. Feels like an amalgamation of Thin Lizzy and Motörhead with a good helping of all things on the speedier end of NWoBHM. Killer cover art to boot:

Spoiler: show

Dying Victims Productions as a label have really been on top of it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:40 am 

I've never been one to be into Core or Deathcore at all, but for some reason I decided to check out the Mental Cruelty album "A Hill To Die Upon", and I dig it. Since i know nothing of the genre, is this considered quality stuff?

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:36 pm 

Somehow Wardrum found a worthy replacement for their former vocalist and released a contender for best power metal album of the year (a crown I expect only Pharaoh to compete for). Mandatory listening for PM fans.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:07 am 

jimbies wrote:
I've never been one to be into Core or Deathcore at all, but for some reason I decided to check out the Mental Cruelty album "A Hill To Die Upon", and I dig it. Since i know nothing of the genre, is this considered quality stuff?

I'm sure there's a demographic for this, but it's just not my bag of tea at all.
The Internet seems to love this record, but it sounds like garbage to me.
Also, in a world that gave us Throne - Pestilent Dawn just recently, I personally have no reason to waste time with this.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:41 am 

jimbies wrote:

Yeah it's quality stuff. If you like that one and haven't already checked it out, you should lend an ear to Lorna Shore's "Immortal" from last year.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:21 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Somehow Wardrum found a worthy replacement for their former vocalist and released a contender for best power metal album of the year (a crown I expect only Pharaoh to compete for). Mandatory listening for PM fans.

Oh fuck I forgot about that. Got to try it now for sure.

edit... yeah, I can co-sign what he said above. This is some seriously killer shit. Smart, proficient melodic metal. New singer fits like a glove and doesn't even sound terribly different from Yannis.

New Sunrise album too: https://sunrisekiev.bandcamp.com/album/equilibria

I didn't know about this until the band fucking emailed me. Sounds cool so far. Maybe a bit heavier than usual.

This is really making me nostalgic for the type of stuff I played endlessly about a decade ago. Just classic Euro PM.

So far I think this album might actually be them fully living up to their potential. Really good. Sharper vocals, more varied writing, interesting melodies.

Ashaant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:46 am 

Dödsrit - Mortal Coil

Really melodic, well produced atmospheric BM. Great comeback.

worlock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:09 pm 

doomicus wrote:
I've been obsessed with Heavy Sentence - Bang to Rights lately. Feels like an amalgamation of Thin Lizzy and Motörhead with a good helping of all things on the speedier end of NWoBHM.

Yup, this pretty much fulfilled all the expectations I had from the singles. Awesome and super fun album.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:28 pm 

The new Impaled Nazarene is really floating my boat, just exactly that right amount of absurd Punky black metal.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:55 pm 

I'm liking the new Impaled Nazarene too. Feels wilder and more unhinged than their last couple. The closing track is quite menacing and a welcome change of the pace with its slow and simple approach.

beeneNOLAdoobie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:58 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Really digging the new Stone Healer. Sounds like Opeth, Baroness, and Code thrown into a blender: https://stonehealer.bandcamp.com/album/conquistador

This is an awesome album! Reading about the lyrical inspiration on their band camp is quite interesting.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:40 am 

jimbies wrote:

Blackened deathcore has been a thing for a while (with varying degrees of success...) but the closest I can think of in term of sound is Lorna Shore's Immortal which Mental Cruelty's latest seems to be very influenced by. Other bands with a similar-ish sound include Black Tongue (I'm a big fan of Nadir), Shrine of Malice, Mire Lore, Diabolus, Carnifex, etc.

I think deathcore has had some pretty good releases lately, like Osiah's Loss.

Spoiler: show

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:04 am 

The only other Bloodbound album I've listened to is Tabula Rasa, so I'm not sure how else it compares, but Creatures of the Dark Realm is easily one of the best power metal albums so far this year. Getting serious Freedom Call vibes.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:09 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
The only other Bloodbound album I've listened to is Tabula Rasa, so I'm not sure how else it compares, but Creatures of the Dark Realm is easily one of the best power metal albums so far this year. Getting serious Freedom Call vibes.

My copy is arriving Sunday! I'm pretty excited to hear it!

Bloodbound's career is all over the place. They started as a more straight-ahead power metal band for their first couple of releases, with Nosferatu being far better than Book of the Dead. Tabula Rasa is their best album by a mile and sounds like nothing they'd ever do before or again. It seems like the band doesn't like that album, and when I saw them live, they didn't play anything from it.

After that, they switched to more of a Dream Evil/HammerFall sound on Unholy Cross and In The Name of Metal. I think fans tend to like the former but not the latter; I like both of them. Stormborn shows them evolving into their current sound, which is basically just Sabaton/Powerwolf worship but about dragons. War of Dragons is by far my favourite of this style (excepting the new one, which I'll hear shortly). Hopefully they evolve again soon because I could see this sound getting stale pretty quickly.

Edit: Figured I should give a ranking since I talked about most of their releases: Tabula Rasa > Nosferatu > War of Dragons > Stormborn > In The Name of Metal > Unholy Cross > Rise of the Dragon Empire > Book of the Dead

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm 

Who does vocals for Bloodbound now? It isn't Urban Breed anymore, right? He left long ago?

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:44 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Who does vocals for Bloodbound now? It isn't Urban Breed anymore, right? He left long ago?

He was only on Nosferatu and Tabula Rasa. They've had this guy since 2010.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:47 am 

The last couple of Bloodbound albums I heard were legitimately awful crap... I do like Tabula Rasa though. Maybe I'll give this one a shot since I seem to be hearing more positive things.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:45 am 

New Seputus album is out. It's cool, 3 members of Pyrrhon doing noisy death metal. No as crazy as Pyrrhon but still highly enjoyable.

https://seputus.bandcamp.com/album/phantom-indigo

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:22 am 

Yeah, that new Bloodbound isn't really anything special IMO. Listened to it yesterday. I'm still obsessed with the new Dordeduh and Iotuun albums. The new Silver Talon is also insanely good.

Death By Wall of Text
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:04 am 

Alluvial - Sarcoma

For those unaware, this is the second album of a project that started off as an instrumental collaboration between Wes Hauch and Keith Merrow, and produced a pretty unique album which was both atmospheric and technical. Now it's a full-fledged band led by Wes Hauch and...

...this album wrecks. It's faster and more aggressive (including vocals), plus it sounds a bit more "modern". If you like gritty oldschool death metal this probably won't be your cup of tea, but I think it's some of the best that modern extreme metal has to offer. The production is insanely good and everything hits incredibly hard, the riffs are kickass but still elaborate and complex, and there are some really interesting touches here (like thick, reverbed clean vocals in some parts by Wes Hauch himself) plus still a bit of the gloomy atmosphere of the debut.

I wasn't sure what to think since I got into Alluvial through Keith Merrow and liked the instrumental gloominess, but this really is good evolution. I liked it a lot at the first listen and it's still growing on me.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:04 pm 

This one is hard to describe. Technical/progressive death/thrash metal?

https://atvm.bandcamp.com/album/famine- ... ng-endless

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:31 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Musically this is fuckin cool, but as soon as the vocals kick in, it kills it for me. Dammit.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:50 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Musically this is fuckin cool, but as soon as the vocals kick in, it kills it for me. Dammit.

What kind of vocals are you looking for?

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:05 am 

thewrll wrote:
What kind of vocals are you looking for?

Something more thrashy, less deathy and definitely more intelligible. I think the vocalist has some character to his voice tho which is cool but I think it's suited to something more brutal. It's a shame bands like this mostly go for the death vocals.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next