Yeah this is absolutely savage, loving it so far

ebirah_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:09 am 

New EP by Sandstorm is for sure the album art of the year

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm 

Chainsword - Blightmarch. Out on February 27th on Godz ov War.

First album from this Polish band. Very solid death metal with a nice chunky groove with what sounds like a fair bit of Bolt Thrower influence.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:38 pm 

I'm really digging the new album from Cave of Swimmers that just released yesterday. The style is a cross between classic metal with heavy helpings of prog and psychedelic rock among other things. It's like if Hammers of Misfortune listened to more stoner rock.

https://caveofswimmers.bandcamp.com/album/aurora-2

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 am 

Embrace of Souls - The Number of Destiny

Nothing too original, just well done Euro power metal with some impressive vocals (Rhapsody of Fire's singer, although there are a lot of guests too), great instrumentation and catchy hooks.

Spoiler: show

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:50 am 

New Epica is good. Too soon to tell, but it may be my favorite since Quantum Enigma.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:53 pm 

Too many albums coming at once this week. Evergrey, Epica, Moonspell, Helstar, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Chainsword, Architects, Steve Lukather.

megamikemetal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:05 pm 

There is a Thrash band from Norway called Nekromantheon. They will be releasing a new album at the end of April called Visions of Trismegistos. It's amazing! Well worth it!!

www.metaldevastationradio.com

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:44 am 

LOS MALES DEL MUNDO - Descent Towards Death

Out now on Northern Silence Productions. Every second of this album just absolutely destroys.

https://losmalesdelmundo-northernsilenc ... ards-death

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:08 am 

pfk505 wrote:
LOS MALES DEL MUNDO - Descent Towards Death

Spoiler: show

Out now on Northern Silence Productions. Every second of this album just absolutely destroys.

https://losmalesdelmundo-northernsilenc ... ards-death

Weird that they have suddenly been everywhere - they're on a sampler I got from NSP this week, I've read about them in a magazine somewhere, and they were on another forum too. Weird how that happens. Definitely have to give their track a listen now :D

Ashaant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:22 pm 

Valdaudr - Drapsdalen

What a debut ! Proper homage to the second wave Norwegian sound, yet sounds fresh and absolutely on point with the atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMg0Xu6EUfM

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:05 pm 

This is maybe far too early to even worry about this, but does anyone have any albums from this year that they are almost certain will make their year-end top 10 list yet? I've heard 30-some new albums this year so far, and while I liked a solid chunk of them, not a single one would make my combined metal/non-metal top 40 from last year yet. I don't know if this experience is unique to me, either in general or in this year in particular. Usually I'm much less assiduous about checking brand new albums out, but the bonanza of treasures last year (particularly in the second half) has made me want to put more effort into it again this one, but so far the results have been rather disappointing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:29 pm 

Labyrinth, Todd La Torre and Ruins of Beverast are all really good. Though I think it's too early for me to say for sure they'll all be top 10 - there could be some stuff I have no idea about that'll really blow me away.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:02 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
This is maybe far too early to even worry about this, but does anyone have any albums from this year that they are almost certain will make their year-end top 10 list yet? I've heard 30-some new albums this year so far, and while I liked a solid chunk of them, not a single one would make my combined metal/non-metal top 40 from last year yet. I don't know if this experience is unique to me, either in general or in this year in particular. Usually I'm much less assiduous about checking brand new albums out, but the bonanza of treasures last year (particularly in the second half) has made me want to put more effort into it again this one, but so far the results have been rather disappointing.

The Kanonenfieber album I linked to on the previous page is sure to make my top 10. Like I said in the comment, if it gets noticed I think it will be appreciated by many listeners.

The new Iotunn is sure to be a contender for me as well. Super catchy Progressive Power/Death Metal with Jón Aldará (Hamferð, Barren Earth) on vocals.

SanctuaryCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:29 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Chainsword - Blightmarch. Out on February 27th on Godz ov War.

First album from this Polish band. Very solid death metal with a nice chunky groove with what sounds like a fair bit of Bolt Thrower influence.

CHONK.

Thanks for this.

It is EXACTLY what I was craving.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:54 pm 

Paranorm - Empyrean

Progressive thrash that sounds like Vektor, Xoth and Madrost had a threesome. Great stuff.

https://paranorm.bandcamp.com/

Thoroughly enjoying Frozen Soul too.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:10 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
The new Iotunn is sure to be a contender for me as well. Super catchy Progressive Power/Death Metal with Jón Aldará (Hamferð, Barren Earth) on vocals.

I actually caught this Iotunn release the other day and found it quite enjoyable.

No idea what is happening to me, Power Metal has always been the only sub genre I've always found really not worth my time and now this happens? I was actually embarassed.

If the day comes where anyone finds me in a singalong to Edguy or Blind Guardian please shoot me.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:36 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Definitely not certain with any of them, but Ferriterium, The Body, and TRoB would have made my top 15 of last year, with the first one being worthy of 8th.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:29 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Ferriterium, Udånde and Carcinoma are the ones that stand a chance for me, but so far yes, it has been far bellow the level of last year, maybe things will pick up eventually

If I'm not mistaken the bulk of the albums that made my lists last year came in later months as well

Aara and Wesenwille are coming out soon, if the singles are any indication those 2 should be right up there.

ebirah_666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:49 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Enrapture, Maquahuitl, Portrayal of Guilt (though I don't think they're quite fit on this site, but they're absolutely at the very least metal adjacent), and Harakiri for the Sky are my early year highlights. If none of them end up in my top list for the year I'm gonna be shocked.

Enrapture is also an overlooked gem for the year (as long as you're a Neurosis fan). A really damn solid debut album.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:01 pm 

Hænesy - Garabontzia
https://haenesy.bandcamp.com/album/garabontzia

Upon a 1st couple of listens I felt it falls a bit short of Katruzsa, which was an absolute monster of an album, but it's still very much a strong album to listen to.

I know lots of people don't seem to appreciate the blend of post-rock in their Black Metal but I'm a sucker for it. When well done it's such a pleasure to listen to.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:41 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

The year is a bit slower for me too.

So far, there's Bloody Hammers (I love it but it's not my favorite style), Yoth Iria (I absolutely love a few songs but don't care for others, so it's a mixed bag), Epica and Harakiri for the Sky. All four of these are contenders, but ot really likely (they wouldn't have made it last year). If it was about top 10 song, one or two of Yoth Iria would be all but guaranteed.

But then there's Demoniac which is 100% making it unless the rest of the year is really great.

And I have to listen more to Angelus Apatrida and Malice Divine, they may end up contenders too.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:18 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm really digging the new album from Cave of Swimmers that just released yesterday. The style is a cross between classic metal with heavy helpings of prog and psychedelic rock among other things. It's like if Hammers of Misfortune listened to more stoner rock.

https://caveofswimmers.bandcamp.com/album/aurora-2

Really enjoying this one too. A lot of old school metal/rock vibes while also sounding super fresh. Superb mixing job as well.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 am 

snarg wrote:
Hænesy - Garabontzia
https://haenesy.bandcamp.com/album/garabontzia

Upon a 1st couple of listens I felt it falls a bit short of Katruzsa, which was an absolute monster of an album, but it's still very much a strong album to listen to.

I know lots of people don't seem to appreciate the blend of post-rock in their Black Metal but I'm a sucker for it. When well done it's such a pleasure to listen to.

Never heard of this band before. I'm not much into this sort of black metal but this sounded quite good. Ordered both albums. Thanks!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:13 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Yeah, from my point the only two albums that would be contenders so far is Tribulation and TRoB. I also like some of the songs on the Bloody Hammesrs album.
Some good albums comming, that I know I'll like; The Crown, Horndal and Greenleaf.
But for sure, a very slow start for my music taste.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:49 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Yeah, from my point the only two albums that would be contenders so far is Tribulation and TRoB. I also like some of the songs on the Bloody Hammesrs album.
Some good albums comming, that I know I'll like; The Crown, Horndal and Greenleaf.
But for sure, a very slow start for my music taste.

The new Empyrium is fantastic, and the new Epica. Darkthrone are due a new one this year, too and I've not really disliked anything they've done so far...

I'm doing the same & compiling my running order early - saves the last minute mad sort through iTunes & a pile of CDs looking for release dates :lol:

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:59 pm 

Grohot - Creatio ex Nihilo
https://grohot.bandcamp.com/

This just dropped out of nowhere on my youtube feed and, awful cover aside, I liked it a lot. Strong debut, worth keeping an eye out for future releases.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:18 pm 

Methuen wrote:
I'm doing the same & compiling my running order early - saves the last minute mad sort through iTunes & a pile of CDs looking for release dates :lol:

Yeah, I have a Word document which grows excessively elaborate and detailed as the year goes on, but it think probably saves time and energy. Every time I hear something new I put it in a list of what I've heard so far, with the list being split into a number of ordered tiers, and then a bunch of lists of upcoming albums, lists by favorite subgenres, albums I want to listen to again, albums I've already relistened to, etc.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

The new Ad nauseam is definitely going to be on my top 10 albums of the year. It may even end up being my top 1 of the year, it's that good. It would have been top 2-3 if it was a 2020 album.

Shad_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:50 am 

New Krallice dropped today. On first spin it's got a really interesting vibe going that I'm excited to put on repeat for a day or two and soak in. They've been one of my favorite bands over the years and I really struggled to enjoy Mass Cathexis, so this is a nice rebound to something I can get into.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:57 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Labyrinth,

Labyrinth had me worried because the lead single kinda sucked and the album started with it. But then it picked up really fucking quick. And then it fell off super hard at the end.

Tracks 2 through 7 are incredible stuff. Everything else, not so much.

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:10 am 

Knoll - Interstice
https://knollvhs.bandcamp.com/album/interstice-2

Band isn't on the archives, i think it counts as metal but I'm far from an expert in those technicalities. They define themselves on bandcamp as Experimental Deathgrind.

All I know is it sounds brutally savage and I love it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:19 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Labyrinth,

Labyrinth had me worried because the lead single kinda sucked and the album started with it. But then it picked up really fucking quick. And then it fell off super hard at the end.

Tracks 2 through 7 are incredible stuff. Everything else, not so much.

Eh I think it's all very good really.

Ominous Glory's debut is about as well done as this style can get - though it's slightly too orthodox to be really first rate at the end of the day for my tastes, sort of a mash of Dragonforce, Freedom Call and Edguy into one style that's in the middle of all three. But even despite that and the stupid fantasy themes, I can't help but admit this is quality stuff. At least unlike Rhapsody it's got riffs and isn't constantly going into hyperactive nonsense and bullshit.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:41 pm 

Thronehammer released their second album today. The incredibly drawn out epic doom style may not be everybody's taste but they've certainly stepped up from their debut!

https://thronehammer.bandcamp.com/album ... tion-rites

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:36 pm 

Ethereal folky raw black metal.

https://koldovstvo.bandcamp.com/releases

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:26 pm 

You guys are nuts. The first Labyrinth single was amazing!

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:59 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Ethereal folky raw black metal.

https://koldovstvo.bandcamp.com/releases

LOVED this. Managed to snag a copy of the LP!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:48 pm 

Would I be out of line to suggest that the new Tribulation album is already an AOTY contender? This this is so much fun. I don't know if I've heard an extreme metal album that's so listener-friendly while retaining a dark edge. Brilliant stuff.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:33 pm 

Shad_ wrote:
New Krallice dropped today. On first spin it's got a really interesting vibe going that I'm excited to put on repeat for a day or two and soak in. They've been one of my favorite bands over the years and I really struggled to enjoy Mass Cathexis, so this is a nice rebound to something I can get into.

I really don't get Krallice anymore. Their first 4 albums are very interesting black metal played by one of the most ambitious bands I've ever heard. They peaked with Years Past Matter, which is an incredible album. Then they proceeded to only release half-assed experimental albums that sound like jam sessions with no structure or memorable parts. They completely lost focus. What the hell happened? Was this a conscious decision?

I wish I could say this is just not my cup of tea or that I'm indifferent to this new direction but the reality is hate this new album. The production is terrible, the songs are uninteresting, the keyboards make no sense, the different parts don't blend very well... Not a fan.

excityantion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:24 pm 

This EP is pretty intriguing, sounds kind of like earlier Krallice, or just a Colin Marston side project in general. Will be interesting to see how (or if) they develop.

https://antigodhand.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ated-earth

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next