Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Caspian88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:59 pm 

Honestly, I'd be surprised if Schaffer (and the rest of his fascist buddies) serves five years, though federal charges are very difficult to get early release from.

EricJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:39 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Gunslinger21 wrote:
This is coming from an outsider looking in, but Americans seem like they are super fucking crazy with their politics. Where I come from, no one really gives a shit about politics, we just look at them all as a bunch of overpaid hypocrites that talk in circles but it doesn't get more out of hand than this.

Is the huge political divide/violence just a side effect of having such a huge population?

A large part of it is the 24/7 news cycle, particularly after the 1987 repeal of the Fairness Doctrine (which required all media to report without bias unless outwardly declaring it an editorial), but an even larger part is the history tied to politics especially in the southern states, as Demon Fang has said.

I was chilling with my landlord on Friday and he said that exact same thing. Great minds think alike!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:29 pm 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/18/2223 ... e-williams

Hopefully, they find this dirtbag, soon.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:50 pm 

Russia, lol. Convenient.

EricJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:04 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Russia, lol. Convenient.

LOL, of course it was the ruskies.

Cold wars are heating up agaaaaiinnnn \M/ \M/

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:26 pm 

EricJ wrote:

Incoming Thrash revival yet again
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:16 pm 

gestapothrash wrote:
EricJ wrote:

Incoming Thrash revival yet again

Earache Records is stoked.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:55 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Subrick wrote:
I guarantee you that Jon had no idea that it'd end up like this when he decided to participate in the attack. I'm certain that he thought he'd be able to waltz away scot free and continue on to do whatever he felt like doing.

Like everyone else here:
https://projects.propublica.org/parler-capitol-videos/

Literally filming evidence of their own crimes and sharing it proudly on social media :lol:

I wouldn't doubt that they all think they're gonna get pardoned by Trump in the one day he has left to sit in the White House.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:57 am 

Fucking scumbags. This is the last thing metal needs. Jackasses like this ruin it for the rest of us.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:37 am 

RakdosWarlord wrote:
Fucking scumbags. This is the last thing metal needs. Jackasses like this ruin it for the rest of us.

No kidding! And even worse is that he's a violent MAGA asshat.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:50 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:

Indeed, The Glorious Burden alone should be a federal crime.
Someone can please photoshop some prison cell bars on his Sons of Liberty MA picture? it would be perfect

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:47 am 

Maybe Metal Archives could add a new category beneath the R.I.P. one.

C.I.P. as in Currently in Prison.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:37 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/18/22237174/capitol-rioter-nancy-pelosi-laptop-russia-riley-june-williams

Hopefully, they find this dirtbag, soon.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... ll-russia/

They caught the bitch, thankfully.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:48 am 

It amazes me how every time something is fishy in the English-speaking world, there's always "Russians" involved in whatever capacity. I wonder if Schaffer is going to end up claiming temporary insanity or whatever induced by some arcane chemical found in those bottles of Russian vodka he stocked up on during the 2019 gigs here. If he does, he'll likely get pardoned.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:47 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:

Indeed, The Glorious Burden alone should be a federal crime.
Someone can please photoshop some prison cell bars on his Sons of Liberty MA picture? it would be perfect

I dont know why you guys think TGB is that bad when they released Plagues of Babyshit and Crucible of Shit, who were worse albums.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:12 pm 

Apparently Century Media have dropped Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards from their artists page:

https://metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/century-media-drop-iced-earth-from-artists-page-on-their-official-site

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:20 pm 

No doubt a NSBM label will sign Iced Earth later on.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:24 pm 

des91 wrote:

Before you know it, their next album is gonna be titled "101 Reasons Why Jon Schaffer Did Nothing Wrong".

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:28 pm 

des91 wrote:

Bracing myself for an NSPM movement.

Speaking of Century Media, I do wonder how this shitstorm will affect the Witherfall album he produced that's coming out in March. Obviously the guys had no part in it and references to him are getting downplayed in their marketing, but his fingerprints are all over those preview tracks.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:40 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
des91 wrote:

Speaking of Century Media, I do wonder how this shitstorm will affect the Witherfall album he produced that's coming out in March. Obviously the guys had no part in it and references to him are getting downplayed in their marketing, but his fingerprints are all over those preview tracks.

Finist could earn their spot as precursors :lol:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm 

Reid wrote:
Apparently Century Media have dropped Iced Earth and Demons & Wizards from their artists page:

https://metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/century-media-drop-iced-earth-from-artists-page-on-their-official-site

Yeah, I mentioned this back on Sunday. They also removed their records/merch from both their European and North American webstores, so it's a 100% certainty that they've severed ties with both bands. Schaffer basically ruined his entire career in one fell swoop.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
des91 wrote:

I would hope most people are reasonable enough to realize that the guys in Witherfall couldn't possibly predict that Schaffer would participate in a violent insurrection months after the album was recorded, and considering he didn't actually play on it and the mixing and mastering were handled by Jim and Tom Morris, I can't imagine he was really all that much involved. Regardless, while people are free to buy or not buy the album, Witherfall shouldn't be scapegoated over events they had no involvement with. In this case, it's pretty much a Phil Spector scenario (and a bit eerie since Spector just died a few days ago). People aren't clamoring to burn every copy of Let It Be just because a guy who would later go on to be convicted of murder produced it, and while there is nowhere near as much time between the production of this album and Jon's arrest I'd treat it in the same way.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:33 pm 

The other issue is that Witherfall was most likely signed due to Jake's involvement with IE, so that's gotta be making things awkward.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:40 pm 

Eh, Witherfall existed as an entity before Jake joined Iced Earth so it's not really much of an issue for me, especially since there's no evidence of him supporting Schaffer in any way. While I guess it is unavoidable that people make some sort of link due to the shared members, Witherfall should be allowed to move on as a band without being tainted by what happened on January 6.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:04 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:

Its hard enough being a metal fan right now with most of my peers not being metal fans. At least in highschool it was considered 'cool and edgy' so people didnt judge you past the usual 'why do you like dad music crap.

These past few summers I felt weird about wearing my battle jacket because people might think I am antifa or something like that. Now we gotta worry about people thinking we are nazis because of these fucking people. I bet a lot of people feel self consious about liking metal or dont want to get into metal for these reasons. I hete feeling like I gotta navigate a potential minefield with the genre I love most.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:39 am 

RakdosWarlord wrote:

Nobody outside of metal circles knows who he is. To everyone else, he's just one of a couple of hundred dickheads that participated in a riot. If his behaviour bothers you that much, stop listening to his shitty band.

RakdosWarlord wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
RakdosWarlord wrote:

Its hard enough being a metal fan right now with most of my peers not being metal fans. At least in highschool it was considered 'cool and edgy' so people didnt judge you past the usual 'why do you like dad music crap.

These past few summers I felt weird about wearing my battle jacket because people might think I am antifa or something like that. Now we gotta worry about people thinking we are nazis because of these fucking people. I bet a lot of people feel self consious about liking metal or dont want to get into metal for these reasons. I hete feeling like I gotta navigate a potential minefield with the genre I love most.

How old are you?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Svarogh4380
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:10 am 

interstellar_medium wrote:
It amazes me how every time something is fishy in the English-speaking world, there's always "Russians" involved in whatever capacity. I wonder if Schaffer is going to end up claiming temporary insanity or whatever induced by some arcane chemical found in those bottles of Russian vodka he stocked up on during the 2019 gigs here. If he does, he'll likely get pardoned.

Dude, exactly. Russia is invoked non stop as this perpetual bogeyman and all the democrat and progressive groups that I am in on Facebook eat this up like no tomorrow.

Remember when the MSM "leaked" info from US intelligence agencies that Russia was trying to help Bernie Sanders' campaign? Of course they provided no evidence for that beyond "an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak on matters blah blah blah" and the investigative journalism stopped dead right there. That was done on purpose to sink Sanders and voila, it worked. He was ahead of all the other candidates, Biden was virtually dead in the water, and wow, what a reversal of fates.

The American public is so reflexively allergic to anything Russian, through basically decades of over exposure, that people who have real political objectives know very well how to exploit this, and MSM organs, constantly looking for the next click in a 24/7 news cycle, will print just about anything fed to them without even bothering yo try and see if it works out.

Same with this story about Pelosi's laptop. Yeah sure, the woman might have WANTED to sell it to the Russians believing that they would pay a good price for it, but there is no actual proof that the Russians wanted to BUY it, or contacted her about it, and the article that I read said that the deal "fell through due to unknown reasons", presumably because the Russians aren't quite THAT stupid and when the FSB realized what it was, didnt want to touch that hot potato with a 10 foot pole. Because if it was actually true, and there was real evidence that the Russians tried to get it, here would be WAY more sabre rattling against the Kremlin going on now by Biden but none of that is happening.

But the damage has already been done, you see, the so called progressives are all calling for this person to be hanged for treason. And of course the perpetual negative reflex to the word "Russia" goes on and on and on. So much for human rights and so much for objectivity

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 am 

I'm pretty sure some people are giving Schaffer more credibility or/and fame than he has or deserves. He leads a somewhat known metal band and is a complete anonymous outside the metal circles. Nobody's going to judge our listening habits based on his actions. If Bruce Dickinson came ransacking through the British Parliament, I guess that would raise some eyebrows, but this, this no. Just dust in the wind.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:35 am 

Svarogh4380 wrote:
interstellar_medium wrote:

Dude, exactly. Russia is invoked non stop as this perpetual bogeyman and all the democrat and progressive groups that I am in on Facebook eat this up like no tomorrow.

Remember when the MSM "leaked" info from US intelligence agencies that Russia was trying to help Bernie Sanders' campaign? Of course they provided no evidence for that beyond "an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak on matters blah blah blah" and the investigative journalism stopped dead right there. That was done on purpose to sink Sanders and voila, it worked. He was ahead of all the other candidates, Biden was virtually dead in the water, and wow, what a reversal of fates.

The American public is so reflexively allergic to anything Russian, through basically decades of over exposure, that people who have real political objectives know very well how to exploit this, and MSM organs, constantly looking for the next click in a 24/7 news cycle, will print just about anything fed to them without even bothering yo try and see if it works out.

Same with this story about Pelosi's laptop. Yeah sure, the woman might have WANTED to sell it to the Russians believing that they would pay a good price for it, but there is no actual proof that the Russians wanted to BUY it, or contacted her about it, and the article that I read said that the deal "fell through due to unknown reasons", presumably because the Russians aren't quite THAT stupid and when the FSB realized what it was, didnt want to touch that hot potato with a 10 foot pole. Because if it was actually true, and there was real evidence that the Russians tried to get it, here would be WAY more sabre rattling against the Kremlin going on now by Biden but none of that is happening.

But the damage has already been done, you see, the so called progressives are all calling for this person to be hanged for treason. And of course the perpetual negative reflex to the word "Russia" goes on and on and on. So much for human rights and so much for objectivity

I don't see the contradiction between wanting that woman to be tried for treason and the fact that Russians might not even have wanted the laptop.

Maybe "attempted treason" would be more accurate. Still, she wanted and allegedly even tried to sell something valuable to a foreign country. Of course she should have the book thrown at her.

I think you also overlook a lot of Russia's involvement in all this. All intelligence agencies concur, Russia interefered in the election, and pushes misinformation that is then parrotted by Republicans, either the base or the leadership (if you can even call it that). Trump has ties to Russian mob, tried to have a Trump tower in Moscow, has had people with ties to Russia (some people even famously went to jail for it... before being pardoned).

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:17 am 

Quote:
Maybe "attempted treason" would be more accurate. Still, she wanted and allegedly even tried to sell something valuable to a foreign country. Of course she should have the book thrown at her.

Exactly.

I don't care if the plan worked, or was complete lunacy.

If that was the plan then they should lock her away. And if it had nothing to do with Russia at all she still deserves the full punishment coming.

Svarogh4380
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:55 am 

I can agree with you both here: attempted treason makes a lot more sense. Yeah throw the book at her - I agree with that too. Which means try her in a court of law and if all goes well, she will get mega jail time. But that's not the rhetoric coming from the progressives, they literally want her dead by the authorities (and this after spending all summer railing against authorities and arguing that the US prison system is inhumane and that most prisoners should be given clemency as a result).

As for Russia, what you have said: Trump has business dealings with Russia. Yes that's true. Most shady business moguls do with oligarchs all over the world, and Russian oligarchs are especially powerful because they got rich off of oil. Does this mean that the Russians have some dirt on him? You bet they do. But to me, this is standard stuff. The US blackmails other state actors all the time. It's the pearl-clutching from the Americans which makes me nauseous, the idea that they are somehow above all this, and they have to be outraged when another country does it to them (but yet when they do it all over the Latin American continent, somehow this is ok).

From everything that I have seen, I haven't seen any smoking gun evidence that Russia went above and beyond any of the standard geopolitical espionage that other countries do to the US on a regular basis, most notably China and Israel. Or what the US does to other countries (remember the NSA tapping Angela Merkel's personal phone? Remember that?) But invoking any of these other entities doesn't entail nearly the same gravitas as it does when you mention "Russia."

Some stuff in the media about Russia is in fact, quite true. Of course Russia had influence and ads during the 2016 election, but "interference" means something way more than that. But a lot of it isn't, or at least, it's speculation. Namely:

1. Russia helping Sanders' campaign (no evidence provided)
2. Russia hacking the voting machines in 2016 (since retracted, but not before damage was done to the psyche of Americans everywhere)
3. Russia planning on sabotaging US power grid (since retracted, but not before damage was done)

Those are just off the top of my head but there is more, I would have to dig up the Glenn Greenwald article where he succinctly lists a whole bunch more.

None of this is to deny that Russia is a corrupt oligarchy that stifles free press in their own country and gets its elites rich at the expense of ordinary citizens. But the elevation of Putin as Dr. Evil in Austin Powers is a deliberate tool used in US political discourse in order to discredit opponents (Reps and Dems to it to each other, routinely, and have done so consistently, ever since the Cold War) and to scare citizens into allowing the government to steal even more civil liberties away from them in the name of fighting an adversary and to shrug when trillions of dollars are spent propping up an already bloated military.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 pm 

Quote:
Yeah throw the book at her - I agree with that too. Which means try her in a court of law and if all goes well, she will get mega jail time. But that's not the rhetoric coming from the progressives, they literally want her dead by the authorities (and this after spending all summer railing against authorities and arguing that the US prison system is inhumane and that most prisoners should be given clemency as a result).

Theses sooooo much of this bullshit going on right now.

I completely agree she should be tried in a fair trial.

But, like you said, the amount of progressives screaming for blood is so hypocritical that it astounds me.

When a Conservative screams these violent statements everyone wants them thrown in jail and the key locked away, but when Liberals scream it we were supposed to know they, “weren’t being serious”, or whatever other bullshit will be spewed to justify calling for someone to be killed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:31 pm 

I haven't seen anyone calling for her dead. There's a lot of noise out there though, so I'm sure some people have said it. But scrolling through Twitter and my own FB feed I have not seen any hypocrisy from progressives - no new blind trust in the law, no craven death threats, etc. Eh I just find this kind of "look at how hypocritical these people are" discourse tiresome I guess.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:54 pm 

Svarogh4380 wrote:
Russia is a corrupt oligarchy that stifles free press in their own country and gets its elites rich at the expense of ordinary citizens

Sad but true. We kinda deserve it, though.

Svarogh4380 wrote:
...to scare citizens into allowing the government to steal even more civil liberties away from them in the name of fighting an adversary and to shrug when trillions of dollars are spent propping up an already bloated military.

The US of A and whoever happens to be the one-officially-in-charge there are used in the media here to the same extent. "The evil decadent West is coming to corrupt our children!"

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:19 pm 

Svarogh4380 wrote:
As for Russia, what you have said: Trump has business dealings with Russia. Yes that's true. Most shady business moguls do with oligarchs all over the world, and Russian oligarchs are especially powerful because they got rich off of oil. Does this mean that the Russians have some dirt on him? You bet they do. But to me, this is standard stuff. The US blackmails other state actors all the time. It's the pearl-clutching from the Americans which makes me nauseous, the idea that they are somehow above all this, and they have to be outraged when another country does it to them (but yet when they do it all over the Latin American continent, somehow this is ok).

Oh man, this is the exact kind of whataboutism that Putin loves to trot out whenever he gets criticized for his government's actions. Seeing it from people that aren't Putin is no less tiresome though.

This may surprise you, but most of the Americans who were targeted by Russian disinformation efforts in 2016 had, as it happens, very little to do with the US government's checkered past regarding democracy in other countries. To act like they have no right to be angry that their democracy was assaulted because of actions undertaken by past US governments-- to demean their anger as 'pearl-clutching'-- is just stupid.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:23 pm 

Russia and China are scapegoats that American politicians from both parties use to deflect blame for problems in the US that are wholly home-grown.

Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:07 pm 

The New Mccarthyism is as dull as it is shameless.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:08 pm 

So what's the usual sentence for sedition and naughtiness in the US, these days ? Death ? Life in some federal hole ?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:16 pm 

Jon Schaffer will be forced to write a series of albums praising Joe Biden and the Democratic wealthy elite.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:43 pm 

Methuen wrote:
So what's the usual sentence for sedition and naughtiness in the US, these days ? Death ? Life in some federal hole ?

Treason is a capital crime, but nobody has been put to death for it as far as I know. The only crime people are regularly executed for is aggravated murder.

A majority of states have abolished the death penalty, but it's still used federally.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I haven't seen anyone calling for her dead. There's a lot of noise out there though, so I'm sure some people have said it. But scrolling through Twitter and my own FB feed I have not seen any hypocrisy from progressives - no new blind trust in the law, no craven death threats, etc. Eh I just find this kind of "look at how hypocritical these people are" discourse tiresome I guess.

I don't have any proof of this in particular. I was going off what the person before me said.

But, I get that you're tired of the discussion of these people being hypocrites, because I'm just as tired of hearing/reading people doing it over and over again.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 31  Next