Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:40 am 

I'm a sucker for historical context type discussions, so: What was the heaviest album at any given point in time? What's your timeline exactly? Let's assume "heaviest" is a mix of speed, aggression, density, etc etc, so it's not just a list of doom metal or a "most downtuned guitar wins" kinda contest.

Im sure there was some out there musique concrete back in the 70s, or Merzbow is heavier than Torsofuck, whatever, but for the sake of discussion let's go full lengths that are on MA.

Off the top of my head, and there's some huge giant gaps here:

Black Sabbath- Black Sabbath (that one's easy) 1970
Black Sabbath- Master of Reality 1971
... Judas Priest- Stained Class 1978 (does Sad Wings get on the list?)
Diamond Head- Lightning to the Nations 1980
Venom- Black Metal (?) 1982
Either Metallica's KEA or Slayer's Show no Mercy in 1983
I'd be inclined to put Ride the Lightning in for 1984- is there a full length that's heavier in '84? I'm sure there is.
Slayer's Hell Awaits? 1985
Possessed's Seven Churches just seven months later!
Repulsion in '86
Altars of Madness, '89?
Effigy of the Forgotten in '91.

After this it gets much harder, if it wasn't difficult enough already! Crazy how much things had changed in just a few years.

I'm pretty useless at death metal, especially early stuff chronology wise, like I don't know where Morbid Angel fits in with Suffocation or Cannibal corpse and where it all sits; so what would you fellas put after seven churches? Was there a heavier album already? I'm almost half inclined to put Pleasure to Kill in there but I'm sure there was harder stuff in '86. Maybe? And what unlistenable brutal death metal has the crown at the moment? I'm inclined to put Enmity's Illuminations as the current holder, or at least it's very much up there, which for a 15 year old album says a lot.

Anyway dudes, have a discussion, tell me what I've missed and what else can be put it in the timeline, let's fill it in! cheers

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Last edited by caspian on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:24 am 

For '79 Motorhead's Overkill often gets overlooked (pun-intended). Obviously, the title track is a brutal piece of work, with those hammering drums being waaaaayyy heavier than any other double bass usage in that era. Furthermore, it's a pretty noisy, consistently aggressive piece that - while it does owe more to, say, rock 'n' roll than it does state-of-the-art metal ala Priest - uses gruff vocals, distortion on all stringed instruments and was groundbreaking in its own right.

What about Under the Sign of the Black Mark winning for '87? Or maybe INRI? Scum is certainly very abrasive - but I'm not sure I'd call it heavy per se.

'88 seems to be a step down in the heaviness stakes, maybe Leprosy takes the cake. It's certainly a modern, professional sounding death metal record for its time.

Realm of Chaos probably is the heaviest of '89, what with its ridiculous production job and chaotic atmosphere. What were they tuned to A? That in itself was groundbreaking. You've also got other hard hitters like Severed Survival, Symphonies of Sickness, Slowly We Rot, Beneath the Remains, Altars of Madness, Mentally Murdered, Consuming Impulse, The Spooky Gloom and World Downfall. All of these, I'd argue, are better records than Realm of Chaos, but Bolt Thrower might win on a purely sonic level. '89 is definitely when the dam began to burst for death metal.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:30 am 

Sad Wings wasn't as heavy as Sabbath.

Would Rainbow's Rising get a look in? Guess it was more speed and power-metallyness more than "heavy". Also would any Motorhead gather a look pre-thrash? I don't find Venom particularly heavy, just... shitty.

Haunting the Chapel is heavier than Hell Awaits and Ride the Lightning. Bathory's debut is kinda venom/Motorhead amped up, but it fucks pretty hard for then too.

I don't have any better picks for 86 or 87, but I think From Enslavement to Obliteration is heavier than Leprosy, not as idly abrasive as Scum, more focused and bludgeoning despite being all the fast.

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:39 am 

Acrobat wrote:
For '79 Motorhead's Overkill often gets overlooked (pun-intended). Obviously, the title track is a brutal piece of work, with those hammering drums being waaaaayyy heavier than any other double bass usage in that era. Furthermore, it's a pretty noisy, consistently aggressive piece that - while it does owe more to, say, rock 'n' roll than it does state-of-the-art metal ala Priest - uses gruff vocals, distortion on all stringed instruments and was groundbreaking in its own right.

What about Under the Sign of the Black Mark winning for '87? Or maybe INRI? Scum is certainly very abrasive - but I'm not sure I'd call it heavy per se.

'88 seems to be a step down in the heaviness stakes, maybe Leprosy takes the cake. It's certainly a modern, professional sounding death metal record for its time.

Realm of Chaos probably is the heaviest of '89, what with its ridiculous production job and chaotic atmosphere. What were they tuned to A? That in itself was groundbreaking. You've also got other hard hitters like Severed Survival, Symphonies of Sickness, Slowly We Rot, Beneath the Remains, Altars of Madness, Mentally Murdered, Consuming Impulse, The Spooky Gloom and World Downfall. All of these, I'd argue, are better records than Realm of Chaos, but Bolt Thrower might win on a purely sonic level. '89 is definitely when the dam began to burst for death metal.

What was that story about Jo Bench having to retune her bass after each take? The strings were so downtuned, they would start to sag after a while, the legend goes. :D

For 1987, Scum and Scream Bloody Gore are definitely heavier. What you said about abrasive-but-not-necessarily-heavy, I'd actually apply to Under the Sign of the Black Mark.

For 1988, Malleus Maleficarum, despite the Destruction-type production job, which was not very suitable, is pretty heavy, though maybe not quite as much as Leprosy.

Good point about Overkill.

But, to answer the OP, yeah, once you get to the Suffocation/Nile, where the crushing heaviness is not just in the production, but in the very density of the playing, I don't know how far one can go beyond that, except that the production techniques are always advancing and that you can nominally get heavier sounds on a record now, but does that count? The slam death metal scene might be worth looking into for this aspect alone, but I know next to nothing about it.

Other candidates: some modern psycho grind or some ultra slow elephantine doom, but again, not an expert.

Also: Meshuggah, no matter how many frowns this may get. But that was half the point of that band, the other half being the rhythm subdivisions.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:45 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Would Rainbow's Rising get a look in? Guess it was more speed and power-metallyness more than "heavy". Also would any Motorhead gather a look pre-thrash? I don't find Venom particularly heavy, just... shitty.

Rising isn't heavier than, say, a Sabbath and as far as Blackmore's heaviest album Deep Purple's In Rock from 1970 is definitely worth a shout.

Regardless of your opinion of Venom, no one was writing riffs like 'Don't Burn the Witch' at that time and Mantas' guitar sound on that record has a concentrated blackness that no one else had at the time. Every thrash band wanted to write stuff like them, every early black metal band was inspired by them... same for death metal. It's the deliberate brashness of it all, too. Heavy? Heavy, heavy, heavy!

Fuck, we're all morons for not mentioning Hellhammer/Celtic Frost already. For '83 to '84 you can't get heavier.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:21 am 

Nothing hit harder and faster in 89 than Altars and World Downfall. Both records meant a striking step up in quintessential elements of modern death metal and grindcore respectively.

My first pick for 91' is definitely Worship Him. One of the darkest and most oppressive albums of all time. It was impossibly evil back then and even today it still stands tall in atmosphere.

As second pick for 91' is another "obvious" one: Human. Intensity, production, technicality; everything is on steroids on that one, Its impact on the scene is undeniable.

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am 

EldritchSun wrote:
Nothing hit harder and faster in 89 than Altars and World Downfall. Both records meant a striking step up in quintessential elements of modern death metal and grindcore respectively.

My first pick for 91' is definitely Worship Him. One of the darkest and most oppressive albums of all time. It was impossibly evil back then and even today it still stands tall in atmosphere.

As second pick for 91' is another "obvious" one: Human. Intensity, production, technicality; everything is on steroids on that one, Its impact on the scene is undeniable.

Very cool to see Samael mentioned here.

And you're spot-on about "Human". It's often the technicality of the album that is emphasized and people sometimes forget how much punch it has purely on the sonic level. Yeah, yeah, the bass is buried and all that (but it's still there, it's just embedded in the mass of sound), but I never had a problem with that production job.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:46 am 

For present-age envelope-pushing, I'd nominate super intense death metal in the vein of Putridity's sophomore and Internal Suffering's 2nd and 3rd albums. That's just off the top of my head, there's probably even better examples.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:12 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Haunting the Chapel is heavier than Hell Awaits and Ride the Lightning. Bathory's debut is kinda venom/Motorhead amped up, but it fucks pretty hard for then too.

Yeah was gonna mention haunting the chapel but it's an EP. I know it's a bit of a arbitrary rule, just feel like it makes things easier, it's not about being exhaustive, yknow?

edit: Same with Hellhammer.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 am 

EldritchSun wrote:

i'd say effigy of the forgotten is the only obvious one for '91 - couldn't possibly see human being heavier

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:30 am 

For 1990, Left Hand Path is probably the heaviest. Deicide, Eaten Back to Life and Cause of Death don't have the same impact but are close.

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 am 

joppek wrote:
EldritchSun wrote:

i'd say effigy of the forgotten is the only obvious one for '91 - couldn't possibly see human being heavier

Human made a way bigger impact in the scene and I would say that production-wise, Human IS heavier. Feels heavier from a pure sonic perspective.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:21 am 

EldritchSun wrote:
joppek wrote:
EldritchSun wrote:

Human made a way bigger impact in the scene and I would say that production-wise, Human IS heavier. Feels heavier from a pure sonic perspective.

My vote goes for Mental Funeral but it depends on what your definition of "heavy" is. Mental Funeral is on the slower sludgier side and Human is faster and colder.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:42 am 

I feel like once 1983 hit, there was so much one-upsmanship and so many bands pushing as many limits as they could that the answer changed nearly every month. It's much easier to trace the line from Sabbath to Priest to Motorhead to Venom, but once thrash became a thing (and especially when death metal started) it's an almost sisyphian task to try to map it out. You could feasibly say it goes from Slayer to Hellhammer to Possessed to Death to Morbid Angel but there are tons of other worthy candidates and it starts to matter more and more how you personally define heaviness, whereas absolutely nobody could debate that Master of Reality was the heaviest thing in the universe in 1971 (unless you're one of those smarmy cocks who is about to point out some weird avant garde shit that nobody cares about).

One thing I do think is worth pointing out though is just how far ahead of the curve Death was. I think it's kind of easy to forget that by the time death metal was a truly solid scene with hundreds of bands across the globe playing the style and by the time like 90% of the classic bands hadn't even cranked out a debut LP or were still touring in support of it, Death was already on their third or fourth album. Yeah I know Possessed was first and Morbid Angel surpassed them before the 90s started but they were practically the only three fish in the pond when it came to full length stunners. Leprosy was so ahead of its time and so simultaneously timeless that if I had heard it for the first time today you could tell me that it was released at any point in the last thirty years and I would believe you without a second thought. I can definitely buy an argument that Altars of Madness surpassed them in heaviness or that Cannibal Corpse or Deicide or Suffocation or Entombed or whoever surpassed that as well, but I think there's definitely something worth noting in how albums didn't start truly sounding like Leprosy until like four or five years later.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:47 am 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
For 1990, Left Hand Path is probably the heaviest. Deicide, Eaten Back to Life and Cause of Death don't have the same impact but are close.

I'd consider Mayhem's "Deathcrush" to be much heavier than LHP, and that EP came out 3 years earlier. I'd say the heaviness competition stopped around the late 1990s/early 2000s because now the most heavy music sound similar to most other records from before, but I could be wrong.

Check out my reviews

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:09 am 

Slater922 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:

I'd consider Mayhem's "Deathcrush" to be much heavier than LHP, and that EP came out 3 years earlier. I'd say the heaviness competition stopped around the late 1990s/early 2000s because now the most heavy music sound similar to most other records from before, but I could be wrong.

When brutal death metal and norsecore got too familiar, the whole fast = brutal got totally normalized. Monotheist was a testament that you could crush the entire competition with simple yet effective riffing and the right artistic vision and production to achieve that. Triptykon remains to be one of the most devastating bands out there to me. Really hard to top in the facecrushing realm.

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:12 am 

EldritchSun wrote:
joppek wrote:
EldritchSun wrote:

I just.. what?

Human heavier than Effigy? I don't agree with that at all and am honestly surprised that someone could even consider that.

I probably can't judge which release is more influental on the wider scene in any objective way, since I never really cared for Death and is a huge Suffocation fan, but I'd say that Suffocation basically invented the modern brutal death metal sound with Effigy of the Forgotten.. And I'd say that's pretty huge. That's another discussion though.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:17 am 

For 1986 I think Repulsion "Horrified" was the heaviest. Yes, it was released professionally only 3 years later but had distribution via tapes since then and as far as I know it was always meant to be a full-length album.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:22 am 

EldritchSun wrote:

"Black Album" had even bigger impact. Does not make it heavier. I do not see how both are related.

King_of_Arnor wrote:

Bride of Insect kills it easily.

caspian wrote:
I'd be inclined to put Ride the Lightning in for 1984- is there a full length that's heavier in '84? I'm sure there is.

Hmm.. maybe Voivod.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:50 am 

Necrodictator wrote:
caspian wrote:

Hmm.. maybe Voivod.

Nah, I'd say that Hetfield's machine-gunning rhythms on a song like 'Fight Fire with Fire' far surpass most of War & Pain, which is great record, but the guitars are still rooted in a more "airy", spacious way of playing whereas Metallica, Hetfield in particular, were ushering in a new heavy sound. Piggy's obviously great, but on that album, it's much more like 'Fast' Eddie joins Discharge and plays a Dead Kennedys covers.

Another super heavy record for '84, albeit from a totally different angle, would be Trouble's Psalm 9, I'd say.

EldritchSun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 am 

EldritchSun wrote:

andersbang wrote:
EldritchSun wrote:
joppek wrote:

I just.. what?

Human heavier than Effigy? I don't agree with that at all and am honestly surprised that someone could even consider that.

I probably can't judge which release is more influental on the wider scene in any objective way, since I never really cared for Death and is a huge Suffocation fan, but I'd say that Suffocation basically invented the modern brutal death metal sound with Effigy of the Forgotten.. And I'd say that's pretty huge. That's another discussion though.

Human's production is far beefier, clearer and punchier than Effigy's. I'm not talking about the music style, it's just pure sonic perception. Also, Death was and still is a FAR bigger band than Suffocation and as such, the impact of that release was bigger. It pioneered death metal's overall sound in the way that no other album at the time sounded that modern and heavy (production-wise). I mean, you can find endless comments about the impact that Human had on the scene - the latest Reinert video tribute is a testament of that too.

(And Death was of course far more influential than Suffo. Death pioneered the entire genre and was way ahead of its time back in the 80's and kept being innovative and influential until the end).

Also, Ride the Lightning was MASSIVE for its age. Fight Fire with Fire alone was way ahead of everyone in terms of speed and heaviness.

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:01 pm 

1956 - Lightnin Hopkins - Sky Hop
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCI4dFciWiE

1966 - Music Machine - Turn On The Music Machine

Take the guitar distortion of the Kinks, add the creepy organ of Question Mark and the Mysterians and the punk attack of the Seeds. Negative lyrics, caveman guitar, and hard hitting drumming. To me this is heavy.

1967 - Art - Supernatural Fairy Tales

Pre- Spooky Tooth Band. This album was an influence on Black Sabbath and hits some real heavy points.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_2hdtSNEpE Not an album, but heaviest song of 1967 right here

1968 - 1968 - Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida

Nuff said

1969 - Andromeda - s/t

Pre Atomic Rooster. There’s a lot of candidates for this year but this is where I’ve settled

1970 - to me it’s a tie between Black Sabbath and In Rock

1971 - Master Of Reality

1972 - Night Sun - Mournin’

German Deep Purple on overdrive

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:09 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Necrodictator wrote:
caspian wrote:

Hmm.. maybe Voivod.

Nah, I'd say that Hetfield's machine-gunning rhythms on a song like 'Fight Fire with Fire' far surpass most of War & Pain, which is great record, but the guitars are still rooted in a more "airy", spacious way of playing whereas Metallica, Hetfield in particular, were ushering in a new heavy sound. Piggy's obviously great, but on that album, it's much more like 'Fast' Eddie joins Discharge and plays a Dead Kennedys covers.

Haven't listened RtL in awhile (War and Pain as well though) and while I agree that Fight Fire with Fire was probably the fastest and heaviest song on a full-length in 1984 there aren't that many songs like that on that album. Add here songs like Fade to Black or Escape which wouldn't be out of place on a traditional metal album. This seriously waters-down its overall heaviness IMO. I guess in terms of overall extremety the album of 1984 still was Bathory S/T.

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:14 pm 

I can't safely speak much on this subject but I have a two contenders for 1984 and 1985. For '84, the heaviest album I can think of is Bathory's first album. For '85 probably Hell Awaits. After that, things got super heavy, all over the world, branching into many of the genres and subgenres we know nowadays, which makes hard for me to really choose on particular album among the crazy amount of stuff there was out there.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:43 pm 

Between early Sabbath and Stained Class, there was nothing heavier than Budgie’s In for the Kill. Sad the band has been mostly forgotten.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:47 pm 

All I know is that the heaviest album in '96 was Cryptiopsy's "None So Vile" and 25 years later, I'm still not sure if I've heard a heavier album.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:53 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:

Not even close. Come on.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:09 pm 

caspian wrote:

Come on.

Last FM

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:45 pm 

^mmm Fight Fire With Fire might like to have a word.

ThePoop wrote:
All I know is that the heaviest album in '96 was Cryptiopsy's "None So Vile" and 25 years later, I'm still not sure if I've heard a heavier album.

Yeah I was gonna say, if jumping ahead in years is there anything quite as heavy as NSV for '96? That album is still totally vicious, ripping, and heavy to this day.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:55 pm 

alexo666 wrote:
caspian wrote:

*chemical warfare*

Did you read the OP? I said i'd just keep it to full lengths only. Haunting is an EP. Full lengths might've been a bit of an arbitrary rule, it was just to keep things a bit streamlined and I think an LP has more of a deliberate statement of intent than an EP, which is a shorter format that kinda lends itself to wild new things, if that makes sense?

Because if we go by EPs it's almost certainly Hellhammer by '83/'84.

Quote:
Haven't listened RtL in awhile (War and Pain as well though) and while I agree that Fight Fire with Fire was probably the fastest and heaviest song on a full-length in 1984 there aren't that many songs like that on that album. Add here songs like Fade to Black or Escape which wouldn't be out of place on a traditional metal album. This seriously waters-down its overall heaviness IMO. I guess in terms of overall extremety the album of 1984 still was Bathory S/T.

Yeah, you have fade to black and escape but the title track, trapped under ice, creeping death and ktulu go pretty hard especially for 84.

Last edited by caspian on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caspian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:56 pm 

alright dudes, I have expanded the timeline a tiny bit :thumbsup:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:02 pm 

Effigy is heavier than NSV. I love NSV but it's not the most brutal thing in the world.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:41 pm 

I think there would be little dispute about the first couple Sabbath albums- maybe the first three, being the heaviest thing out there at the time. As the 70's progressed, you had "Sad Wings of Destiny", Motorhead's "Overkill" and maybe a couple other obscure choices. Venom , Slayer and Metallica's debut's kicked off the early 80's as the most extreme thing out there but by 1985 were one-upped by Possessed's first album, and Bathory's second album.

Although it is worth mentioning that at this time, there were plenty of bands in the punk/hardcore scene that were faster and more abrasive than any of these albums, but... they are not relevant; this is about metal albums only. Still, I think many of these bands were indirectly influential to some of the more extreme thrash and death metal bands.

After 1985 it gets muddy. I think Death's "Scream Bloody Gore" was, at the time, the heaviest thing in existence in 1987, but they, along with tons of other grinding and extreme bands who would quickly surpass them, were already known to the demo/tape trading scene. You could, for example, make a case for either Repulsion or Morbid Angel recording full length albums before Death released theirs, and arguably both of these albums were heavier, BUT- as argued in an earlier thread, neither of these albums were actually released until 1991, or at least not officially- so you can't really count them. "Deathcrush" came out in 1987 but was not really a full length, and always sounded to me like a derivative of Sodom's first couple records- which, while blindingly fast and brutal, were not really that ground-breaking in terms of heaviness (though they were certainly up there.)

Carcass's first LP "Reek of Putrefaction" in 1988 utterly destroyed pretty much everything else out there as far as extremity, noise, heaviness, and brutality. Even to this day, 30 years later, I don't think it has been surpassed. Sure there have been attempts to out-do it in terms of pure noise (Last Days of Humanity, for example) or over the top lyrics, and maybe a few albums have equaled it, but that album to me was the pinnacle. The first two Napalm Death LP's might count, but still leaned a bit towards the hardcore punk side, especially "Scum" (although,see my comment above about hardcore punk.) But nonetheless, when I first heard "From Enslavement to Obliteration" my thoughts were "holy shit, this is the most brutal, over the top, noisy shit on earth! Un-fucking believable!" Until I heard Carcass, that is.

In the 1990s things transitioned towards black metal, but even though many ground-breaking albums came out at this time, I don't think in terms of pure heaviness, that they outdid the grind/death bands in the late 1980s. They were coming at it from a completely different approach, different aesthetic.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 pm 

chuggingpus wrote:
1956 - Lightnin Hopkins - Sky Hop
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCI4dFciWiE

1966 - Music Machine - Turn On The Music Machine

Take the guitar distortion of the Kinks, add the creepy organ of Question Mark and the Mysterians and the punk attack of the Seeds. Negative lyrics, caveman guitar, and hard hitting drumming. To me this is heavy.

1967 - Art - Supernatural Fairy Tales

Pre- Spooky Tooth Band. This album was an influence on Black Sabbath and hits some real heavy points.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_2hdtSNEpE Not an album, but heaviest song of 1967 right here

1968 - 1968 - Iron Butterfly - In A Gadda Da Vida

Nuff said

1969 - Andromeda - s/t

Pre Atomic Rooster. There’s a lot of candidates for this year but this is where I’ve settled

1970 - to me it’s a tie between Black Sabbath and In Rock

1971 - Master Of Reality

1972 - Night Sun - Mournin’

German Deep Purple on overdrive

I was going to discuss the 60s also. I know almost nothing before 1963, so feel free to add. The Beatles Please Please Me in 1963. The Kinks debut in 1964. The Who's My Generation was the heaviest thing released at the time in 1965. Hendrix's Are You Experienced in 1967. Cream's Disraeli Gears in 1968 and Zeppelin's debut in 1969.

For metal, how come nobody has discussed Reign in Blood in 1986? It changed everything.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Last edited by Terri23 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caspian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:44 pm 

Hugely influential, absolutely, but was it the heaviest album at the time it was released? 86 is a lot more competitive than 85.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:24 pm 

caspian wrote:
Hugely influential, absolutely, but was it the heaviest album at the time it was released? 86 is a lot more competitive than 85.

I don't disagree with the statement, but it's definitely worthy of being in the conversation.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Ezadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:27 am 

If non-full length material was an option, I'd point to the 1995/1996 demos that ended up comprising Disgorge's debut album. That record is insanely heavy and brutal even for its eventual release date of 1999, to say nothing of a few years earlier when it was recorded.

And no way is None So Vile the heaviest record of 1996. It's a phenomenal album, but Cryptopsy were never among the heavier BDM bands in the game. I'd point to Mortician's Hacked Up For Barbecue as a contender for 1996's heaviest full length release.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:15 am 

Death Metal Chronology:
Spoiler: show

Death Strike- Fuckin’ Death 1/85

Death- Infernal Death 3/9/85

Possessed- Seven Churches 10/16/85

Sepultura- Bestial Devastation 12/85

Death – Mutilation 4/86

Sepultura- Morbid Visions 11/10/86

Morbid Angel- Scream Forth Blasphemies 86

Repulsion- Slaughter of the Innocent 86

Xecutioner- Demo 1986 86

Necrophagia- Season of the Dead 2/87

Necrovore- Divus De Mortuus 3/87

Carcass- Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment 4/4/87

Death- Scream Bloody Gore 5/25/87

Rigor Mortis- Decomposed 7/6/87

Merciless- Behind the Black Door 7/8/87

Sarcofago- I.N.R.I. 8/87

Amon- Feasting the Beast 8/87

Sepultura- Schizophrenia 10/30/87

Autopsy- 1987 Demo 12/1/87

Morbid Angel- Thy Kingdom Come 87

Necrodeath- Into the Macabre 87

Massacra- Final Holocaust 2/88

Nihilist- Premature Autopsy 3/88

Atheist- Beyond 4/10/88

Bolt Thrower- In Battle There Is No Law! 6/12/88

Morgoth- Pits of Utumno 6/88

Mutilated- Psychodeath Lunatics 6/88

Immolation- ’88 Demo 7/5/88

Autopsy- Critical Madness 7/10/88

Carcass- Reek of Putrefaction 7/88

Death- Leprosy 11/16/88

Blood Spill- Demo 88

Carnage- The Day Man Lost 1/89

Darkthrone- Thulcandra 3/89

Autopsy- Severed Survival 4/24/89

Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness 5/12/89

Repulsion- Horrified 5/29/89

Immolation- Immolation 6/4/89

Obituary- Slowly We Rot 6/14/89

Blood- Impulse to Destroy 8/4/89

Atheist- Piece of Time 8/30/89

Nihilist- Drowned 8/89

Paradise Lost- Frozen Illusion 8/89

Grave- Anatomia Corporis Humani 8/89

Sepultura- Beneath the Remains 9/5/89

Terrorizer- World Downfall 10/13/89

Bolt Thrower- Realm of Chaos 10/28/89

Carcass- Symphony of Sickness 11/4/89

Morgoth- Resurrection Absurd 11/27/89

Carnage- Infestation of Evil 11/89

Therion- Beyond the Darkest Veils of Inner Wickedness 11/89

Darkthrone- Cromlech 11/89

Pestilence- Consuming Impulse 12/25/89

Asphyx- Mutilating Process 12/89

Amon- Sacrificial 89

Nihilist- Only Shreds Remain 89

Entombed- But Life Goes On 89

Dismember- Last Blasphemies 89

Sempiternal Deathreign- The Spooky Gloom 89

Paradise Lost- Lost Paradise 1/90

Cynic- Demo 1990 1/90

Massacra- Final Holocaust 2/7/90

Abhorrence- Vulgar Necrolatry 2/11/90

Death- Spiritual Healing 2/16/90

Carnage- Dark Recollections 2/90

Merciless- The Awakening 2/90

Sinister- Perpetual Damnation 3/17/90

Necrophobic- Slow Asphyxiation 3/90

Cancer- To the Gory End 5/15/90

Morgoth- The Eternal Fall 5/90

Entombed- Left Hand Path 6/4/90

Old Funeral- Abduction of Limbs 6/90

Napalm Death- Harmony Corruption 7/1/90

Deicide- Deicide 7/3/90

Abhorrence- Abhorrence 7/4/90

Suffocation- Reincremated 7/90

Cannibal Corpse- Eaten Back to Life 8/17/90

Disharmonic Orchestra- Expositionsprophylaxe 8/90

Incantation- Entrantment of Evil 8/90

Dismember- Reborn in Blasphemy 8/90

Grotesque- Incantation 8/90

Nocturnus- The Key 8/90

Obituary- Cause of Death 9/19/90

Atrocity- Hallucinations 10/15/90

Unholy- Demo 11.90 11/13/90

Vader- Morbid Reich 11/15/90

Cadaver- Hallucinating Anxiety 11/90

Master- Master 90

Obliveon- From This Day Forward 90

Winter- Into Darkness 90

Abomination- Abomination 90

Sadistic Intent- Impending Doom 90

Dr. Shrinker- The Eponym 90

Therion- Time Shall Tell 90

Cenotaph- Tenebrous Apparitions 90

Carbonized- No Canonization 90

Nuclear Death- Bride of Insect 90

My Dying Bride- Towards the Sinister 90

Darkthrone- Soulside Journey 1/13/91

Sinister- Sinister 1/91

Therion- …Of Darkness 2/91

Autopsy- Retribution For the Dead 2/91

Cenotaph- The Eternal Disgrace 3/17/91

Asphyx- The Rack 4/13/91

Necrophobic- Unholy Prophecies 4/19/91

Autopsy- Mental Funeral 4/22/91

Malevolent Creation- The Ten Commandments 4/24/91

Unleashed- Where No Life Dwells 5/1/91

Suffocation- Human Waste 5/1/91

Dismember- Like An Ever Flowing Stream 5/29/91

Ripping Corpse- Dreaming With the Dead 6/1/91

Old Funeral- Devoured Carcass 6/17/91

Nuclear Death- Carrion For Worm 6/17/91

Bolt Thrower- Warmaster 7/1/91

Massacre- From Beyond 7/1/91

Morbid Angel- Blessed Are the Sick 7/5/91

Immolation- Dawn of Possession 7/19/91

Demilich- The Four Instructive Tales… of Decomposition 7/91

Grave- Into the Grave 8/1/91

Atheist- Unquestionable Presence 8/30/91

Morbid Angel- Abominations of Desolation 9/2/91

Pestilence- Testimony of the Ancients 9/6/91

Sorcery- Bloodchilling Tales 9/91

Septic Flesh- Temple of the Lost Race 9/91

Carcass- Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious 10/3/91

Suffocation- Effigy of the Forgotten 10/8/91

Gorguts- Considered Dead 10/8/91

Benediction- The Grand Leveller 10/10/91

Death- Human 10/22/91

Liers in Wait- Spiritually Uncontrolled Art 10/91

Thou Shalt Suffer- Into the Woods of Belial 10/91

General Surgery- Necrology 11/4/91

Entombed- Clandestine 11/12/91

Incantation- Deliverance of Horrific Prophecies 11/13/91

Sentenced- Shadows of the Past 11/91

Blasphereion- Rest in Peace 11/91

Deceased- Luck of the Corpse 12/91

Sororicide- The Entity 12/91

Massacra- Enjoy the Violence 91

Carbonized- For the Security 91

Revenant- Prophecies of a Dying World 91

Mortuary- Blackened Images 91

Master- On the Seventh Day God Created… Master 91

Gorefest- Mindloss 91

Demigod- Unholy Domain 91

At the Gates- Gardens of Grief 91

Cynic- Demo 1991 91

Cartilage- In Godly Flesh 91

Agonized- Gods… 91

Therion- Beyond Sanctorum 1/92

Crematory- Denial 1/92

Pathologist- Putrefactive and Cadaverous Odes About Necroticism 1/92

Torchure- Beyond the Veil 2/25/92

Eternal Darkness- Doomed 2/92

Cradle of Filth- Orgiastic Pleasures Foul 2/92

Deicide- Legion 3/1/92

Autopsy- Fiend for Blood 3/92

Sentenced – Journey to Pohjola 3/92

Malevolent Creation- Retribution 4/1/92

Obituary- The End Complete 4/21/92

Timeghoul- Tumultuous Travelings 4/92

Unleashed- Shadows in the Deep 5/1/92

Incantation- Onward to Golgotha 5/5/92

Baphomet- The Dead Shall Inherit 5/5/92

Monstrosity- Imperial Doom 5/26/92

Cianide- The Dying Truth 6/2/92

Mercyless- Abject Offerings 6/2/92

Fleshcrawl- Descend into the Absurd 6/8/92

Séance- Fornever Laid to Rest 6/8/92

Asphyx- Crush the Cenotaph 6/20/92

Napalm Death- Utopia Banished 6/23/92

Asphyx- Last One on Earth 6/92

Cemetary- An Evil Shade of Grey 6/92

Massacra- Signs of the Decline 6/92

At the Gates- The Red in the Sky Is Ours 7/27/92

Bolt Thrower- The IVth Crusade 9/2/92

Hypocrisy- Penetralia 9/5/92

Atrocity- Todessehnsucht 9/22/92

Cannibal Corpse- Tomb of the Mutilated 9/22/92

Miasma- Changes 10/5/92

Autopsy- Acts of the Unspeakable 10/12/92

Gorefest- False 10/15/92

Accidental Suicide- Deceased 10/30/92

Cadaver- …in Pains 10/92

Amorphis- The Karelian Isthmus 11/1/92

Demigod- Slumber of Sullen Eyes 92

Sinister- Cross the Styx 92

Morpheus Descends- Ritual of Infinity 92

Vader- The Ultimate Incantation 92

Cenotaph- The Gloomy Reflection of Our Hidden Sorrows 92

Blood- Christbait 92

Necrophiliac- Chaopula – Citadel of Mirrors 92

Torturer- Oppressed By the Force 92

Afterlife- Surreality 92

Purtenance- Member of Immortal Damnation 92

Pentacrostic- The Pain Tears 92

Belial- Wisdom of Darkness 92

Cartilage- The Fragile Concept of Affection 92

Disembowelment- Dusk 92

Adramelech- Spring of Recovery 92

Magus- Ruminations of Debauchery 92

Absu- The Temples of Offal 92

Imprecation- Ceremony of the Nine Angles 92

Infester- Darkness Unveiled 92

Absu- Barathrum: V.I.T.R.I.O.L. 1/1/93

Gorguts- The Erosion of Sanity 1/18/93

Crucifier- Unparalleled Majesty 1/93

Demilich- Nespithe 2/8/93

Unanimated- In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead 2/93

Disincarnate- Dreams of the Carrion Kind 3/23/93

Pestilence- Spheres 5/3/93

At the Gates- With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness 5/7/93

Depravity- Silence of the Centuries 5/9/93

Suffocation- Breeding the Spawn 5/18/93

Divine Eve- As the Angel’s Weep 5/93

Sentenced- North From Here 6/1/93

Morbid Angel- Covenant 6/22/93

Deteriorate- Rotting in Hell 6/93

Ceremonium- Nightfall in Heaven 6/93

Cryptopsy- Ungentle Exhumation 7/15/93

Graveside- Sinful Accession 7/93

Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence 8/2/93

Brutality- Screams of Anguish 9/28/93

Pathologist- Grinding Opus of Forensic Medical Problems 9/93

Mercyless- Coloured Funeral 10/9/93

Hypocrisy- Osculum Obscenum 10/12/93

Organic Infest- Penitence 10/12/93

Sinister- Diabolical Summoning 11/9/93

Kataklysm- The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation 11/30/93

Amorphis- Privilege of Evil 12/5/93

Dismember- Indecent and Obscene 12/7/93

God Macabre- The Winterlong 12/13/93

Rottrevore- Iniquitous 12/93

Blood- O Agios Pethane 93

Disembowelment- Transcendence into the Peripheral 93

Resurrection- Embalmed Existence 93

Eucharist- A Velvet Creation 93

Séance- Saltrubbed Eyes 93

Morgue- Eroded Thoughts 93

Creepmime- Shadows 93

Torchure- The Essence 93

Ceremony- Tyranny From Above 93

Pyrexia- Sermon of Mockery 93

Malediction- Chronicles of Dissention 93

Supuration- The Cube 93

Morta Skuld- Dying Remains 93

Necrony- Pathological Performances 93

Paramaecium- Exhumed of the Earth 93

Carbonized- Disharmonization 93

Unholy- From the Shadows 93

Crucifixion- Desert of Shattered Hopes 93

Utumno- Across the Horizon 93

Suffer- Global Warming 93

Belial- The Gods of the Pit pt. II (Paragon So Below) 93

Mythic- Mourning in the Winter Solstice 93

Rippikoulu- Musta seremonia 93

Imprecation- Sigil of Baphomet 93

Sororicide- Demo 1 93

Betrayer- Calamity 1/27/94

Sadistic Intent- Resurrection 1/94

Incantation- Mortal Throne of Nazarene 3/11/94

Gutted- Bleed For Us to Live 3/29/94

Oppressor- Solstice of Oppression 4/9/94

Gorement- The Ending Quest 5/15/94

Fleshcrawl- Impurity 5/31/94

Napalm Death- Fear, Emptiness, Despair 5/31/94

Cianide- A Descent into Hell 7/12/94

Asphyx- Asphyx 7/16/94

Cenotaph- Riding Our Black Oceans 7/94

Ancient Rites- The Diabolic Serenades 11/1/94

Bolt Thrower- …for Victory 11/24/94

Cryptopsy- Blasphemy Made Flesh 11/25/94

Hetsheads- We Hail the Possessed… 11/94

Infester- To the Depths, in Degradation 94

Luciferion- Demonication (The Manifest) 94

Morpheus Descends- Chronicles of the Shadowed Ones 94

Septic Flesh- Mystic Places of Dawn 94

Uncanny- Splenium for Nyktophobia 94

Suffer- Structures 94

Timeghoul- Panoramic Twilight 94

Sapremia- Existence of Torture

Immolation- Stepping on Angels… Before Dawn 1/95

Imprecation- Theurgia Goetia Summa 1/95

Deicide- Once Upon the Cross 4/17/95

Suffocation- Pierced From Within 5/1/95

Morbid Angel- Domination 5/9/95

Molested- Blod-Draum 5/13/95

Horgkomostropus- Lúgubre Resurrección 5/95

Adramelech- The Fall 6/11/95

Sinister- Hate 7/1/95

Incantation- Upon the Throne of Apocalypse 8/1/95

Deceased- The Blueprints for Madness 9/95

Drogheda- Pogromist 10/95

Vader- De Profundis 95

Ceremonium- Into the Autumn Shade 95

Maleficarum- Across the Heavens 95

Deeds of Flesh- Gradually Melted 95

Mortem- Demon Tales 95

Strangulation- Between Nothing and Eternity 95

Tempestas- Euphony of Contradictions 95

Immolation- Here in After 2/13/96

Nyctophobic- War Criminal Views 2/96

Fleshcrawl- Bloodsoul 6/4/96

Adramelech- Psychostasia 6/22/96

Kataklysm- Temple of Knowledge 6/30/96

Cryptopsy- None So Vile 7/3/96

Monstrosity- Millennium 8/96

Angelcorpse- Hammer of Gods 8/96

Asphyx- Embrace the Death 11/19/96

Fallen Christ- Abduction Ritual 96

Crimson Relic- Purgatory’s Reign 96

Asgard- To a Golden Age 96

Grotesque – In the Embrace of Evil 96

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:44 am 

caspian wrote:
Slayer's Hell Awaits? 1985
Possessed's Seven Churches just seven months later!
Repulsion in '86
Altars of Madness, '89?
Effigy of the Forgotten in '91.
'

For '84 I might go with Hellhammer's Apocalyptic Raids. It might not beat Metallica but it is certainly in the running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYKbF-mgkA

For '86 I am going Reign in Blood as someone else suggested.

'87, hmm Scream Bloody Gore? Lots of good contenders however. First Autopsy, Necrovore, Carcass and Amon demos are released. Necrophagia's Season of the Dead album is out(before SBG I might add). I'm not sure.

'88 definitely goes to Bolt Thrower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4OAXPQQJ0
(edit; Carcass too)

'89 had debut's by Autopsy and Obituary. Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos has a massive downtuned sound. The Paradise Lost, Grave and Nihilist demos were absolutely crushing.

This is my 1990 pick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7IAeVIHKHo
Nothing else comes close, except for Deicide.

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:19 am 

Dude, it clearly says "full-lengths" in the OP.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next