Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:13 pm 

Their riffing has aged like a fine wine. I also like how Dani uses his banshee wail more occasionally now, giving it more impact.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 pm 

Fuck yeah, I'm hyped. Been a have since 1998 with Cruelty and the Beast and stayed loyal even through their rough patch. They've been on fire since Hammer of the Witches and it's a glorious thing to see.
Fire walk with me"

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:54 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Is this going to be a Borg concept album?

I wholly support this new thematic and costume/photo sesh direction for the band.

Anything really new from CoF would be appreciated. They've been technically proficient and lacking atmosphere for me for a very long time now.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:47 am 

New song is super solid, though I think it could stand to be about 30 seconds shorter. The wow factor wears off just a little bit by the end.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:30 am 

I'm not surprised it's good but it was definitely more aggressive than I expected.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:41 pm 

They sound so solid. It's such an incredible turn around from their mid-2000's work. I've been a Cradle fan since just prior to the release of Nymphetamine (when I was around 14 or 15) and I can safely say that they sound better than they ever did on any releases of that time. If you go back and listen to Nymphetamine compared to Cryptoriana or Hammer, there's just no comparison.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:55 pm 

SladeCraven wrote:
They sound so solid. It's such an incredible turn around from their mid-2000's work. I've been a Cradle fan since just prior to the release of Nymphetamine (when I was around 14 or 15) and I can safely say that they sound better than they ever did on any releases of that time. If you go back and listen to Nymphetamine compared to Cryptoriana or Hammer, there's just no comparison.

I think it was a mix of the band getting way too big way too fast and being exhausted, but having to keep putting shit out so they could keep going back out on the road, and Paul Allender in particular burning out fast but continuing to stay in the band for the paycheck well past the point where he should have quit. Martin definitely gave them a kick in the ass when he joined, but he ultimately just couldn't keep Paul afloat and it took getting new blood to rescue them from the "shove something out so we can get back out on the road again" paradigm they had gotten stuck in.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:55 pm 

While I agree with most of the posts above me, I gotta say, I still am unashamed that I love the track Nymphetamine.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:04 pm 

I'd take Nymphetamine over anything that came after it any day of the week. Love that album.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:15 pm 

The major issue with "Nymphetamine" imo is that it's an overly long album. If they tightened some of the arrangement and removed a couple tracks ("Nemesis" does not need to be that long - and the "Fix" version of the title track is better than "Overdose", change my mind), it'd be a lot more solid. I feel pretty much the exact same way about "Damnation and a Day". And yeah, Paul Allender definitely lost steam after "Midian" - they're better off without him, and the newer material shows why.

One thing I very much enjoy about the last two albums is how tight the arrangements are, including on the longer tracks (like "Death and the Maiden").

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:26 pm 

I think Nymphetamine is better than its 56% average would suggest. Just listened to Mother of Abominations for the first time in a while and got reminded there's good stuff on that album besides the title track.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:00 am 

I also seem to like "Damnation and a Day" and "Nymphetamine" a lot more than the typical Cradle of Filth fan. In this case, I think I give credit to Martin Powell for the reason I perhaps feel this way, as they were his last albums with the band.

I also too like the last couple of albums, but also not nearly as much as other Cradle of Filth fans seem to. I thought the new song was solid, but didn't get me super excited. I'm sure I'll still pick the album up regardless.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:16 am 

I like Nymphetamine well enough, don't get me wrong. I just think it marks a decline in song writing when compared the earlier stuff. I definitely agree that it's far better than the 56% it sits at, I just think the last two albums are more solidified to the point of sounding like a different band altogether (which let's be honest, but for Dani it is a different band altogether). Nymphetamine has some really great moments and meant a lot to me during those years. But the albums between that and Hammer? Eh. For the exception of Lilith Immaculate (that track is fucking great, in my book) it's all pretty blah for me. It feels like in the last 6 years or so they've gotten a supercharged dose of motivation and Dani in particular seems to be at the top of his game. I watched a live performance of theirs from 2019 (Hellfest, maybe?) and I couldn't believe how strong he sounded compared to some of the earlier live performances I'd heard. I remember him saying that he had an issue with his vocal chords at one point during the mid 2000's, so it makes sense.

Whatever they're doing, it's working. It's good to see them doing so well.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:02 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Music video for "Crawling King Chaos":

Really like the song! Look forward to the new album.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:59 am 

I love Nymphetamine. Gilded Cunt, Nymphetamine (Overdose or Fix, both are good but Fix is a bit tighter), Coffin Fodder, Medusa and Hemlock and Mother of Abomination (very helpful to know how to actually pronounce Ia Ia Cthulhu ph'taghn!) are all awesome songs IMO. The rest isn't even bad, those are just my standout songs. I really don't understand why it gets so low reviews.

It probably helps that it was the first CoF album that I really listened to. I had listened to a few songs before, but it was during my "I don't really like ahrsh vocals" phase, so I was more picky.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:02 pm 

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that 'Fix' is the superior version for me. I hardly ever listen to the Overdose version.

Seeing them open their live set with Gilded Cunt is such a punch in the throat. Amazing.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 am 

And now, a more melodic and gothic single.
Honestly, I'm more than okay with that. Love me some angsty goth cheese, tbh.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:

And now, a more melodic and gothic single.
Honestly, I'm more than okay with that. Love me some angsty goth cheese, tbh.

Great song, and i love the guitarsound. But you and I have different definitions of 'angsty goth cheese'.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:30 am 

SladeCraven wrote:
I like Nymphetamine well enough, don't get me wrong. I just think it marks a decline in song writing when compared the earlier stuff. I definitely agree that it's far better than the 56% it sits at, I just think the last two albums are more solidified to the point of sounding like a different band altogether (which let's be honest, but for Dani it is a different band altogether). Nymphetamine has some really great moments and meant a lot to me during those years. But the albums between that and Hammer? Eh. For the exception of Lilith Immaculate (that track is fucking great, in my book) it's all pretty blah for me. It feels like in the last 6 years or so they've gotten a supercharged dose of motivation and Dani in particular seems to be at the top of his game. I watched a live performance of theirs from 2019 (Hellfest, maybe?) and I couldn't believe how strong he sounded compared to some of the earlier live performances I'd heard. I remember him saying that he had an issue with his vocal chords at one point during the mid 2000's, so it makes sense.

Whatever they're doing, it's working. It's good to see them doing so well.

It's the new guitarists. They needed to lose Paul Allender, he was hopelessly burned out and was in the "fuck it, I need a paycheck" stage of his career and it showed (especially on TMAOH). Then they got two new guys who were way more technically gifted and could do more with the songs, while also being able to stick to tried-and-true Cradle hallmarks. Hammer of the Witches really was a relaunch for them - it brought back the older fans who had started to accept that their best days were long behind them, and it also brought in a lot of younger fans who arrived just in time for the new and improved Cradle.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 am 

Dig the new track. Not quite as much as the first single, but I expected there to be a single in this vein on its way.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Music video for "Crawling King Chaos":

Fkn love that song!

Hope the album is just as great

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 am 

I've enjoyed both these singles, so I think the album will probably be pretty damn good.

Music video for "Necromantic Fantasies". Dani's look in this video is giving me "Midian"/"Bitter Suites" vibes.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:46 pm 

I've never been the biggest Cradle fan but both those singles are pretty good. The guitarist changes have done them a lot of good and the last few albums have been the most I've ever enjoyed them.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:49 pm 

I must say, I think this has the best sound of any CoF in decades. It's not beefed up like Hammer of Witches, but more raw and necro without sounding like shit. I don't know who they're working with, but it sounds like they know what they're doing.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:29 pm 

I enjoy their new single. To think about 20 years ago COF was mocked by many metal fans but seems to keep improving themselves.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:32 am 

I've heard a promo of the album and it pretty much sits in that non-necro symph-black/goth pocket that the singles prepared us for. 'How Many Tears to Nurture a Rose?' seems a bit like the King Diamond-style single they did for Venus Aversa ('Forgive Me Father') and 'Black Smoke Curling from the Lips of War' maybe hits hardest, although nothing is totally heavy the whole way through. Kind of a cross between Cryptoriana and Damnation.

However, I'm hearing more and more of Dani singing about environmental issues and the "it's too late" global catastrophe angle. Thoughts on that?
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:52 am 

^ It sounds like they won't beat Hammer of the Witches with this one neither, but I'm delighted with some melancology there; a nod to existentialism mixes up well (Dani said he was enspired by it). I just hope for less guitar solos.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I've heard a promo of the album and it pretty much sits in that non-necro symph-black/goth pocket that the singles prepared us for. 'How Many Tears to Nurture a Rose?' seems a bit like the King Diamond-style single they did for Venus Aversa ('Forgive Me Father') and 'Black Smoke Curling from the Lips of War' maybe hits hardest, although nothing is totally heavy the whole way through. Kind of a cross between Cryptoriana and Damnation.

However, I'm hearing more and more of Dani singing about environmental issues and the "it's too late" global catastrophe angle. Thoughts on that?

I'm okay with the album having such lyrical themes. "Deflowering the Maidenhead, Displeasuring the Goddess" from HOTW was pretty much all about that. Also, are there spooky spoken parts from Anabelle Iratni? I know Doug Bradley's showing up as a guest again, which is cool... but I need spooky spoken female vocals too, dammit. Neither of these new singles gave me this, lol.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:10 am 

Osore wrote:
^ It sounds like they won't beat Hammer of the Witches with this one neither, but I'm delighted with some melancology there; a nod to existentialism mixes up well (Dani said he was enspired by it). I just hope for less guitar solos.

Hey man, long time! I miss our chats. I knew you'd like the lyrical slant, I enjoyed it when they did it once for 'Deflowering/Displeasuring', but now I'm starting to wonder how far they can go with it. I think I count 3 songs on the new one that are fairly centered on ruining the environment.

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Also, are there spooky spoken parts from Anabelle Iratni? I know Doug Bradley's showing up as a guest again, which is cool... but I need spooky spoken female vocals too, dammit. Neither of these new singles gave me this, lol.

I wasn't really familiar with Iratni before, but I barely notice a difference between her and the last couple of female guests. It's there for sure, and works with the more gothic material, but didn't especially excite me. If you're a fan already though, I can't see that you'd be disappointed by her effort.
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:27 pm 

So this is not really relevant to the album as such, but apparently Cradle's US tour (where they're playing Cruelty and the Beast in full) is off to a rocky start as both of their supporting acts (3Teeth and Once Human) had members test positive for COVID-19 with both bands dropping off the bill for a bunch of shows. It looks like they've had to arrange replacements on a show by show basis, with the result being some lineups I'd never imagined I'd see. Apparently they're playing a show in Denver tonight with Wayfarer and Blood Incantation opening for them, which is a pretty crazy lineup.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:11 pm 

Well, my vinyl arrived (huzzah!) so I went ahead and listened to it. While it's not radically different from their last two albums, I feel like it leans more into their melodic side than either "Hammer of the Witches" or "Cryptoriana - The Seductiveness of Decay". It's still heavier than either "Thornography" or "Nymphetamine", though I can see why some would compare this new one to "Damnation and a Day". The guitar work is excellent (as I expected it to be) and the songs are catchy as hell and fun to listen to (as I also expected). Gonna listen to it a few times before I rank it amongst their many other albums, but my first impressions are good at least.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:05 pm 

Cradle of Filthy Riffs. Really loving everything they've done since the new guitar duo arrived a few albums back.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:40 pm 

I really like it, I just feel it's a little long (all of their albums are, though). I'd not quite as strong as Cryptoriana to me, but still a VERY good later career release. Dani still sounds fucking fantastic.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:51 am 

Yeah, liking this much more than Cryptoriana. The songs are far more engaging and memorable. Not a big fan of the solos though. They've generally sounded ill fitting since Paul left.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:23 am 

The solos (and riffs!) are actually one of my favorite things about this current line-up. Ashok and Shaw make for a damn good guitar duo and they're a big part of why Cradle of Filth seems to be in a new golden era imo.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:34 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Osore wrote:

Hey man, long time! I miss our chats. I knew you'd like the lyrical slant, I enjoyed it when they did it once for 'Deflowering/Displeasuring', but now I'm starting to wonder how far they can go with it. I think I count 3 songs on the new one that are fairly centered on ruining the environment.

After the first listen I like it better than Cryptoriana, and less than Hammer. It sounds very fresh, I didn't expect them to become so dynamical and death metal in execution and style. Since they broadened the perspective a bit, I wish to hear more black metal influences on the next album, and for Dani to please ecofeminists and present nature without gender. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
P.S. It must be that you had sent me a message in a bottle and even if it floated upstream by some miracle, it most certainly got lost in The Danube, not that far from Dracula's trail.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:02 pm 

After a few listens my only specific complaint is that during 70 minutes of new material, they really should have found more places to feature the female vocals. I like them when they appear, but it's just too infrequent.

Otherwise the album continues the momentum from Hammer and Cryptoriana. Even the bonus tracks are really strong, and Sisters of the Mist might be my favorite thing on here like The Night at Catafalque Manor was last time.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 am 

Osore wrote:
I wish to hear more black metal influences on the next album, and for Dani to please ecofeminists and present nature without gender. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
P.S. It must be that you had sent me a message in a bottle and even if it floated upstream by some miracle, it most certainly got lost in The Danube, not that far from Dracula's trail.

Haha I'm not sure that Dani can resist making anything into a woman if the songs need a bit of black romance.

Read a few from Swamp Fetus lately, so we're still spiritually communing I hope :-P

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Otherwise the album continues the momentum from Hammer and Cryptoriana. Even the bonus tracks are really strong, and Sisters of the Mist might be my favorite thing on here like The Night at Catafalque Manor was last time.

Right, what is it with making the bonus tracks some of the best? It's not even like they had a very explicit storyline on this album, so they could have fitted in fine.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:03 pm 

This and the three albums before it have indeed had fantastic b-sides - both "Sisters of the Mist" and "Unleash the Hellion" are certified bangers. Hell, I didn't like the vast majority of 2012's "The Manticore and Other Horrors" (definitely my least favorite thing they've done overall), and yet I loved the song "Death, the Great Adventure"... It's the best song on that album, and it's not even part of the proper album. Also, "The Night at Catafalque Manor" would have been a perfect ending for "Cryptoriana" - not only that, but it has some seriously oldschool Cradle style riffing that I fucking love.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:27 pm 

Playing it now. As someone who's really only familiar with their first couple of albums, they don't seem to have changed much at all except beefing up the production a lot. The production actually is a bit of a detriment to me - kind of hard to evoke an atmosphere with this kind of clean, super loud, pristine sound.

Music sounds pretty good. Not sure I'd buy it or play it a lot but they are good at what they're doing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next