Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:36 pm 

This is basically a thread on what you find good and bad in each metal subgenres. This is merely a subject of opinion.

1. Heavy metal

Pro: Probably my favorite one of all. It just sounds so pure and basic; not overdone. You can't beat the classics.

Con: Sometimes it's hard to classify which band is truly "heavy metal" or actually just hard rock.

2. Thrash metal

Pro: Some of the most badass riffs and songs are in this genre, also some of the most meaningful and truthful song lyrics, the perfect balance of being very heavy, but not too heavy

Con: I feel like unless if you're trying to do something unique, you'd sound like a typical metal band (eg. playing Slayer in E tuning sounds like most other typical 80s thrash metal band), also the majority of well-known thrash metal bands are the classics, not so many new well-known bands.

3. Death metal

Pro: Awesome blast beats, very versatile as a genre, I especially love the Gothenburg instrumentals

Con: Some bands are trying to be "br00tal" for the sake of brutal

4. Power metal

Pro: Nice fantastic/mythological lyrical themes and aesthetics, light and epic, great concepts

Con: Choruses can be repetitive, can be a bit too cheesy, usually doesn't has that dark feel most metalheads are into

5. Black metal

Pro: Very gnarly and sinister; no music is as evil as this

Con: Aside from the controversial Norwegian scene in the 90s, this is probably not so appealing to most people, a bit too gnarly for my liking

6. Doom metal

Pro: Has that pretty nice and dark, depressing sound

Con: I feel like most bands are being a bit too much like Black Sabbath, hence why it's not very common in the heavy metal community

7. Symphonic and folk metal

Pro: Heavy metal with symphonies or folk instrumentals, what a great combo (although I also like the inclusion of edm with metal)

Con: Sometimes it can be overkill; I prefer one of the elements to be a bit lighter than the other

8. Progressive/technical metal

Pro: Musically complex, very philosophical or surreal concepts

Con: Sometimes I feel like they're being complex for the sake of complexity

9. Metalcore (not considered metal by most, but I'm still including this)

Pro: A few great bands, such as As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engage, I also love that death metal verse/clean chorus cliche

Con: A lot of other mediocre bands overshadow the great ones, usually generic, and borrows too much from melodic death metal

So what are your thoughts? What do you like and dislike about each metal subgenres?

Last edited by yungstirjoey666 on Sun May 09, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:06 pm 

Black metal

Pros: The music

Cons: Fanbase and musicians are mostly human garbage.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:25 pm 

Well I got a few things to say...

Heavy metal

Pros: Classic bands that made some of the best music imo

Cons: Not as huge as they were in the 80s

Power Metal

Pros: More story-driven; better at handling symphonic instruments

Cons: Underappreciated (though I'm gonna get into the genre this year)

Thrash Metal

Pros: Very speedy and fast

Cons: Slayer post-God Hates Us All and Metallica post-St. Anger (need I say more)

Doom Metal

Pros: Very slow and atmospheric, and gave birth to Black Sabbath

Cons: A lot of the bands here are generic and boring imo

Death Metal

Pros: Very fast and more chaotic than thrash; great for gore freaks

Cons: Oversaturation in the late 90s to early 2000s; Not for everyone due to graphic content

Black Metal

Pros: Very lo-fi and atmospheric; produced some of my favorite metal music of all time

Cons: Bad fanbase, NSBM, and VARG-MOTHERFLIPPING-VIKERNES!!!

Grindcore

Pros: Short, but even more chaotic than thrash and death; also got some good funny bits

Cons: Anal Cunt (just the band name alone is cringy)

Metalcore

Pros: Introduced me to metal (before I got into real metal)

Cons: Let's just say it's a good thing I left this genre...

Nu Metal

Pros: Some bands like Deftones and System of a Down made some of the best nu metal songs out there

Cons: Two words: Limp Bizkit

Glam Metal

Pros: Can have some good bits when it isn't cheesy 80s

Cons: Judas Priest's Turbo made me threw up the first time I listened to it

Industrial Metal

Pros: NIN, KMFDM, and Marilyn Manson made some incredible stuff

Cons: Some of it is cheesy 90s crap

Speed Metal

Pros: More intense than traditional heavy metal

Cons: I can hardly tell the difference between this and thrash metal

Gothic Metal

Pros: Goths and metal mix a lot better than you think

Cons: 99% of "gothic metal fans" only listen to Type O Negative

Goregrind

Pros: Great combo of grindcore and death metal

Cons: Graphic album covers can throw people off

Post-Metal

Pros: Offers some pretty melodic riffs

Cons: A lot of cringy hipster bands in the post-black metal scene

Progressive Metal

Pros: Can be excellent when mixed with other genres

Cons: When on its own, the riffs are just too complex for my mind to comprehend

Folk Metal

Pros: Focuses on various traditions and have some unique riffs

Cons: Some subgenres like Pirate Metal is just too cringy and childish

Crust Punk

Pros: Can mix thrash and hardcore punk beautifully

Cons: Sometimes to more punk stuff gets overboard

Christian Metal

Pros: Some Christian stories have metallic themes, and sound great when metal songs are made out of them

Cons: Unblack metal just destroys the purpose of black metal

Any Metal that Involves Politics

Pros: Can be funny at times

Cons: Most of the material is just too cringy and I'd rather stay away from it at all costs

Check out my reviews

Last edited by Slater922 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:44 pm 

HeavenDuff (underline is mine) wrote:
Black metal

I'm trying really hard not to be BasqueStorm 2.0 here, but that is an incredibly generalizing and prejudiced thing to say about thousands and thousands of people making great art and fans enjoying it. I guess I shouldn't be baited to respond to such a lazy statement, but in my experience with you you usually write rather long posts explaining your thinking.

snarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:49 pm 

This should be fun.

2021 version in progress:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5XCnD ... 0P4ggu4BXA

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:51 pm 

1. Heavy metal

Pro: Without it there would be no other kinds of metal

Con: Modern heavy metal just feels like a bunch of hipsters harkening back to the 'good ol days', being overly derivative. Some of it is good, most of it is shite.

2. Thrash metal

Pro: The big four and Power Trip

Con: A lot of it bores the crap out of me, albeit live some of the bands are far better than on record.

3. Death metal

Pro: Kept underground metal relevant throughout the 90s, continued to evolve through the 00's and create a broad amount of influence throughout other genres as well.

Con: The gore stuff is just boring and overplayed now unless it's Cannibal Corpse. They get a pass.

4. Power metal

Pro: Kamelot

Con: Everything else (don't fucking give me this "oh CoB is power metal" no they aren't they never were)

5. Black metal

Pro: It can hit so many emotions for such an extreme genre, especially compared to a genre like death or thrash metal.

Con: General inceldom

6. Doom metal

Pro: The gearheads that work endlessly to make the perfect drone sound come out of their guitars. Dronetok has blown up recently as a hashtag on TikTok, and it makes me very appreciative just how creative a lot of these musicians are with setting up the perfect rig for the perfect tone

Con: Some bands are just boring as fuck.

Pro: Makes me feel like I'm in LOTR

Con: Makes me feel like I'm in LOTR

Pro: "Wow that's incredible...."

Con: "....but really, did he have to noodle that much?"

9. Metalcore

Pro: The most rhythmic sub genre, lots of fun live, perfect gym music.

Con: "My mom lets me listen to them because they scream about Jesus!!"

10. Deathcore

Pro: Some of the best stuff from the 2010's was in this genre. Just when everyone thinks it has nowhere left to grow, some band comes out with something very refreshing and awesome.

Con: Too much emphasis on the vocals sometimes with not much interesting melodies

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:59 pm 

raumr wrote:
Black metal

I'm trying really hard not to be BasqueStorm 2.0 here, but that is an incredibly generalizing and prejudiced thing to say about thousands and thousands of people making great art and fans enjoying it. I guess I shouldn't be baited to respond to such a lazy statement, but in my experience with you you usually write rather long posts explaining your thinking.

I actually like black metal a lot, but most of my bad experiences with metalheads (I'm talking actual metalheads here so no corekids or nu-metal fans) was with black metal fans. A lot of them are stupidly elitist (I actually worked with a woman for our University's art mag, who argued that black metal was objectively the pinnacle of metal because her and her close friends agreed on this). A lot of them are also flatout racists. And those who aren't often are apologists who make up excuses for racism in black metal.

Still, my post was meant as a joke. I know these kinds of people exist, but I actually know a lot of people who are into black metal who are really nice folks :)

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:18 pm 

1. Heavy metal

Pro: Maiden are the best dude

Con: Difficult to play as a new band at times without sounding like a Xerox of the originals.

2. Thrash metal

Pro: Intensity and speed

Con: Thrash fans don't seem to have gotten over the 90s and how the genre fell from near domination, and that nearly all the key bands slowed down or changed their sound in that era. Weird fundamentalist and paranoid streak running through the genre whereby anything remotely slower than Slayer is 'commercial', or on the truly ridiculous side, that Metallica 'sold out after KEA because RTL has a power ballad'.

3. Death metal

Pro: Bolt Thrower

Con: Everyone else

4. Power metal

Pro: Fun

Con: EEEEEEAAAAAGLLLLLEEEE FLY FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TO THE PALACE OF THE DRAGON KING IN GONDOR. (Can sound pretty generic and plastic, no edge to it).

5. Black metal

Pro: Atmosphere

Con: Nazis

6. Doom metal

Pro: Sabbath. Riffs. Cathedral. RIFFS MOTHERFUCKING RIFFS. Reverend Bizarre. Saint Vitus. RIFFS.

Con: Too many bands don't take on board the fact that Sabbath had a pretty wide palette of influences, and there are some bands on the scene whose music doesn't stand up to repeat plays. Gear and tone worship is another issue - just because you've got a stack of Orange amps doesn't mean your songs are going to be good.

7. Symphonic metal

Pro: Floor Jansen and Simone Simons, please tie me up and do as you wish

Con: Like power metal, a lack of edge

8. Folk metal

Pro: To Valhalla I go on the prow of my longboat

Con: To a festival I go to hear a lot of bands who sound the same

9. Progressive/technical metal

Pro: Skill

Con: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

10. Metalcore

Pro: Struggling here

Con: Pantera worship but only of the 'tough guy' elements without any seeming understanding of Pantera's use of dynamics and song structures

11. Post metal

Pro: Neurosis. Some Isis. Dynamics can be interesting.

Con: At the latest Rough Trade curated festival in a Butlins holiday park in winter, pretentiously stroking your goatee while sipping your vegan latte and surveying yet another Isis/Pelican clone band playing 'atmospheric' 15 minute songs which are even more pretentious than yourself and have no memorable riffs to speak of or indeed any velocity or interest to them at all. As you stand there totally still (because you're too hip and cool to headbang, except ironically) you feel yourself elevating to a more superior and higher plane as you over intellectualise your reactions to the aural wallpaper emnating from the stage. Because simple joyful and free response to the music just isn't the way to go about things, no not at all, you think, as you adopt a studious pose and 'analyse' the 'intelligent' and 'epic' 'soundscapes', while mentally thinking about how you'll prepare that 10/10 review for the next issue of Pitchfork. Afterwards, why not go and 'semi-ironically' enjoy some traditional metal, with your new 'open minded' studied attitude? Oh hang on, there's a cute chick with librarian glasses in the front row.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:39 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
11. Post metal

Pro: Neurosis. Some Isis. Dynamics can be interesting.

Con: At the latest Rough Trade curated festival in a Butlins holiday park in winter, pretentiously stroking your goatee while sipping your vegan latte and surveying yet another Isis/Pelican clone band playing 'atmospheric' 15 minute songs which are even more pretentious than yourself and have no memorable riffs to speak of or indeed any velocity or interest to them at all. As you stand there totally still (because you're too hip and cool to headbang, except ironically) you feel yourself elevating to a more superior and higher plane as you over intellectualise your reactions to the aural wallpaper emnating from the stage. Because simple joyful and free response to the music just isn't the way to go about things, no not at all, you think, as you adopt a studious pose and 'analyse' the 'intelligent' and 'epic' 'soundscapes', while mentally thinking about how you'll prepare that 10/10 review for the next issue of Pitchfork. Afterwards, why not go and 'semi-ironically' enjoy some traditional metal, with your new 'open minded' studied attitude? Oh hang on, there's a cute chick with librarian glasses in the front row.

This might be the best post-metal story I've ever read :lol:

Check out my reviews

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:44 pm 

Hah! Yeah, shades of the 2000s. Encounters with people who were like 'Reverend Bizarre sucks, they're just the doom version of Status Quo' while jizzing over every splatter vinyl that got released on Hydrahead. TBH I actually agreed with them on music most of the time, and none of them were Pitchfork intelligensia stereotypes, but there were just so many bands at one stage who sounded like the example I gave above, and it all just didn't have the riffs for me.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:20 pm 

raumr wrote:
Black metal

Yeah really really shit takes on black metal so far and what the fuck is with someone complaining and letting us know that the instrumentals are complete nonsense, use a qtip.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:21 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
raumr wrote:
Black metal

I actually like black metal a lot, but most of my bad experiences with metalheads (I'm talking actual metalheads here so no corekids or nu-metal fans) was with black metal fans. A lot of them are stupidly elitist (I actually worked with a woman for our University's art mag, who argued that black metal was objectively the pinnacle of metal because her and her close friends agreed on this). A lot of them are also flatout racists. And those who aren't often are apologists who make up excuses for racism in black metal.

Still, my post was meant as a joke. I know these kinds of people exist, but I actually know a lot of people who are into black metal who are really nice folks :)

Yeah pretty much every single person.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:25 pm 

In the interest of not making a single post that is a hundred pages long I'll stick to just a few specific genres I dig.

Black Metal:
Pros: Atmosphere, energy, music, and a cathartic release of dark nihilistic rage.
Cons: Too much Nazi bullshit. Too many half-assed one man "Bands" with little talent, and too many full bands with little originality.

Doom Metal:
Pros: Some great, epic songs with great, epic riffs.
Cons: It's way too easy for bands to just come up with a bunch of re-hashed Sabbath riffs, and/or play really slow, and call it "Doom metal." Plus, it's way too easy for the songs to just end up sounding slow and boring- even the best doom metal bands are guilty of this sometimes.

Thrash Metal:
Pros: Speed, aggression, energy, riffs, etc- and too many great bands to mention.
Cons: Too many half-ass bands to mention- that think just trying to copy Exodus, Destruction, or Slayer circa 1986, is all that it takes to be a great band.

Metalcore:
Pros: Great music for the 15-20 year old age bracket.
Cons: Not so great music for jaded old fucks like me, who get tired of generic chug riffs, baby-tantrum vocals and nth generation At The Gates worship.

GoreGrind:
Pros: "Reek of Putrefaction," Repulsion's "Horrified."
Cons: Almost every other band since those two classics listed above.

Power Metal:
Pros: When bands get this right, it sounds epically awesome.
Cons: Too many bands don't get it right, and end up sounding like Walt Disney Dragon Princess-type movie theme music on crack.

I could go on but I'll stop here before this gets too long.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 pm 

1. Heavy metal

Pro: Accessible and a lot of fun.

Con: Can sometimes slip into being generic. You have to have something special to be really good.

2. Thrash metal

Pro: IMO, the best metal can be when done properly.

Con: Most of it, however, is boring, generic garbage. It's also a fairly limiting subgenre. Get too melodic and you've become heavy and/or power metal, too extreme and you're a death and/or black metal band.

3. Death metal

Pro: Probably the most versatile metal genre. What qualifies as "death metal" is a very large swath of bands compared to pretty much any other subgenre.

Con: Frequently I find that DM bands would be better off with a different kind of vocalists. I also find that lot of DM bands aren't too concerned about things like "hooks", or "catchiness", or "having anything that makes your song memorable". It isn't an issue of being generic like thrash, though it can be, but more than brutality and aesthetic extremity is frequently prioritized over memorable songwriting.

4. Power metal

Pro: So much fun! Typically has a huge focus on songwriting and memorable hooks. Also has a lot of awesome musicianship most of the time.

Con: A lot of power metal is incredibly formulaic, and if you're seeking out fresh songwriting you may get frustrated with how safe many bands are willing to be. It also requires you to hyperfocus on hooks and having a catchy chorus. Thrash and death metal can get away with weak vocals or less-focused songwriting if the riffs are at least memorable enough. Power metal has no such luxury. Most power metal lives and dies by the chorus.

5. Black metal

Pro: Nasty and mean. Not really my bag but when mixed with other genres, really spices them up.

Con: Very, very corny, and the focus on atypical production frequently harms the genre. While I understand having a crisp, clean production most of the time will be a detriment to the songs, a lot of the time I find that I'd like an album a lot more if they put more effort into making the production sound good.

6. Doom metal

Pro: A relatively diverse genre of music, and one that's style allows it to explore lyrical subjects other genres typically can't execute well.

Con: The only real con I can think of is that what makes doom "doom" limits what total expression can be made. While I just said that it's a diverse genre, it's also hard for you to explore the range of tempos and moods other genres can. But what can count as "doom" leaves a lot more room than say, thrash.

Pro: Frequently very, very fun. It can really explore soundscapes that are walled off to other subgenres.

Con: Can easily get overwhelming, and bands can take it too far. Symphonic metal especially can exhaust me quickly.

Pro: Very, very cool when done right.

Con: Complexity frequently usurps the role of good songwriting in prog and tech bands, and there are times when I feel the necessity to make things different and difficult gets in the way of a groove or a melody. It's hard to balance when to fall back on groove and melody, and when to get weird and technical. It's even harder to make both work simultaneously.

9. Metalcore

Pro: I'm really struggling to come up with something. I really don't like this subgenre at all. I guess it's range of emotions appeals more easily to the masses?

Con: Ends up as "baby's first metal band" for many musicians; we've all seen startup local metalcore bands who are just awful. The tropes of the genre really allow for musicians of a lower skill level to make functional songs. But they frequently miss what actually makes metalcore as a genre compelling, and their music is an awful facsimile of the genre. All you get is brain-dead chugs with awful, out-of-tune screaming of lyrics with the angst cranked to 11.

yungstirjoey666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:00 pm 

Surprised that no one has talked about groove metal yet. I would make an opinion, yet I don't know too much about groove metal besides Pantera, Lamb of God, and maybe Owen-era Priest

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 pm 

These takes on black metal cause a headache, I get the Nazi shit, sure but it's easy to avoid that, but complaining about what makes black metal black metal, just wtf.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:46 am 

Using Slater922's post as a template, thanks. I'm including band examples in this too.

Incoming shitty contradictory opinions that I don't expect anybody to share with me (and am completely fine about it, too):

Heavy metal (Including NWOBHM in this)

Pros: The OG genre that flew the flag of the metalhead ideology, the genre that influenced every other subgenre beneath. (Judas Priest, Saxon, Mercyful Fate, Rainbow, Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Riot, Raven, Grim Reaper, Ozzy Osbourne, Motorhead)

Cons: Anything in this genre that was released after 1985 as it lost its edge (with very few exceptions). (I personally wouldn't care if Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or Ram It Down never got released)

Power Metal

Pros: The next logical step of pushing the boundaries of musicianship in the same vein of Rainbow, Manowar and Manilla Road. (Helloween, Manilla Road, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall)

Cons: Anything after the 80s is pure crap to my ears, and it all sounds the same. Also, the "flower power" side of it is far too happy for my liking. (Dragonforce, Stratovarius, Sonartartartartartartarctica, Avantasia, fuckin yawn)

Thrash Metal

Pros: Very aggressive and fast, and flies the same flag as the OG Heavy Metal genre but with the bar being raised. Also spawned black/death thrash. (Dark Angel, Slayer, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, DRI, Sacred Reich, Vio-Lence, Overkill, Sarcofago, Pre-Chaos AD Sepultura, Suicidal Tendencies, Nuclear Assault)

Cons: 80s bands releasing albums after 1995 (due to being horrendously overproduced), and most neo-thrash today being some bullshit pizza crossover that all sounds the same or again just horribly overproduced. (Power Trip, Gama Bomb, Vektor, Fueled By Fire) - exceptions are Municipal Waste's and Merciless Death's first albums.

Doom Metal

Pros: Very moody and atmospheric, generally very heavy sounding. (Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Windhand, Trouble)

Cons: After the "classics", it gets extremely repetitive and nothing new gets done - ESPECIALLY when the "stoner" aspect gets thrown into the mix. (The Sword, Orchid, Orange Goblin, every copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a stoner/doom band that plays local shows here in Melbourne - yawn)

Death Metal - including grindcore and all its sub-subgenres in this

Pros: Pushing the boundaries in metal, obsene/graphic lyrics and album content. (Barnes-era Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Nocturnus, Morbid Angel, Autopsy, Brujeria, Napalm Death, Arghoslent, Anal Cunt, Possessed & Death (although I consider them both Death/Thrash) and all the Black/Death bands that spawned that called themselves "Death Metal" (Bestial Warlust, Destroyer 666, Sadistik Exekution, Vomitor)

Cons: Nuclear Blast, Swedish Death Metal sounding too polished, 1000 clone bands doing the same thing (Dismember, Carcass, Unleashed, Entombed, Amorphis - yawn again. (Yes I know they were pioneers and didn't copy anybody, but are what I consider extremely boring and spawned clone bands to copy them for the 90s $$) - And all wigger slam bands)

Black Metal

Pros: Purely evil sounding shit, very inaccessible for the faint-hearted, Black/Death, Bestial Black, War Metal, and also Atmospheric sounding stuff. (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Emperor, Bathory, Blasphemy, Archgoat, Proclamation, Revenge, Conqueror, Bestial Warlust, Hate Forest, Death Worship, Beherit, Black Witchery, Nyogthaeblisz, Profanatica, Kapala, Human Agony, Abysmal Lord, Nokturnal Mortum)

Cons: Cringey fanbase, "friendly black metal", Epic black metal (Summoning, Anaal Nathrakh, Mgla, Watain, Behemoth, Oranssi Pazuzu, Dark Funeral, Wolves in the Throne Room)

Metalcore

Pros: Bullet for my Valentine and Parkway Drive were cool when I was 12

Cons: The whole genre

Nu Metal

Pros: Does Rage Against the Machine and Faith No More count?? Just about the only two pros I can think of

Cons: The whole genre, the fans, the whole "my childhood was messed up" rhetoric. Also Deftones fucking suck.

Glam Metal

Pros: All out glorification of substance and alcohol abuse, and promiscuous sex/partying. (Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken, 87-era Whitesnake, Steel Panther, LA Guns, Faster Pussycat, London, WASP, David Lee Roth as a peroxide blonde with a serious cocaine habit)

Cons: the fucking ballads and the ability to convert bands to suit the genre (Skid Row, Cinderella, Warrant, Cold Lake-era Celtic Frost, Animalize and Asylum-era KISS except Heaven's on Fire & Tears Are Falling - both great songs)

Industrial Metal

Pros: NIN and that's it

Cons: See Nu-Metal above

Speed Metal

Pros: A little faster and aggressive version of Heavy Metal (Exciter, Running Wild, Agent Steel, Anvil, Razor)

Cons: None besides some boring clones that exist in the present day (Cauldron)

Gothic Metal

Pros: Type O' Negative

Cons: anything that isn't Peter Steele, and I'm not a fan of self-victimisation (see industrial and nu-metal above)

Post-Metal

Pros: None

Cons: Pure hipster shite

Progressive Metal

Pros: It was good in the late 70s and early-mid 80s with some exceptions today (Baroness, Mastadon, Rush, King Crimson, Tool, Budgie, Soen, Porcupine Tree)

Cons: The whole genre screams "I got bullied in high school", is metal for socially inept people who are really good at math, and to me is the antithesis of the heavy metal ethos (Dream Theater, Opeth, Queensryche, Symphony X, Voivod, Meshuggah, Nevermore, Gojira)

Folk Metal

Pros: Can be very very tasteful, see Primordial

Cons: Fucking Turisas and similar bands that are a joke

Crust Punk

Pros: Can be extremely good and cutting edge, especially when you include D-Beat kinda shit (Discharge)

Cons: Take a fucking shower and stop calling a wheelie garbage bin your home

Christian Metal

Pros: It's nice to see the other side of the fence, and although I don't enjoy the lyrical content, some of the bands absolutely slap (Trouble, Stryper, Wytch Hazel, Deliverance)

Cons: The subject matter isn't exactly badass, but then again, preaching god in a genre ruled by people who hate religious nuts is pretty ballsy and badass

Groove Metal

Pros: None

Cons: See nu-metal above - Groove Metal told everyone in the 90s that it was okay to play half-paced thrash and downtune your guitars. Fucking lazy genre that attracts rednecks (Pantera, Machine Head, Fear Factory, DevilDriver/Coal Chamber, Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy, Trivium, Hellyeah)

Don't @ me with "can't handle the edge, trying 2 be edgy" or "how could you like x but not y". Or if you wanna ask the latter I don't mind, but prepare for answers that make little to no sense in my fucked up justifications of what I enjoy.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:19 am 

I'm probably alone in this, but I'm having a hard time grasping this pros and cons situation applied to metal (or music in general).
Pros and cons, to me, are more like living in the city VS living in country side, buying VS renting, pick-up truck VS people carrier, that kind of stuff.

I don't want to sound pretentious, but I don't think it translates very well to something such as music. Doom metal is slow... Is that a pro or a con?? Depends on who you ask, right? It's a characteristic of the genre, not a quality or a flaw, in my opinion.

There might be things you like and things you don't, and if by that you mean pros and cons then yeah, sure, but again, I think it's a personal thing. You like this and that about a genre. Doesn't automatically make it a pro or con. Black metal is what it is, you might like it, you might dig only specific bands or you might think it's atrocious and that's that.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:16 am 

If I stick to genres I've listened to a lot:

Trad / Heavy Metal

Pros - It's just fun, most of the time. Good old fashioned, musically decent, fun - musicians that can reference the classics without sounding like a rapper 'sampling' someone. Modern bands can still get the blood up with a (sounds like it's) simple guitar harmony and clever lyrics.

Cons - Prone to catching prog-itis and wanting to write those 25 minute epics that only bands from the 70s actually made work.

Symphonic Metal

Pros - Often quite intelligent both structurally and lyrically. Generally put a lot of thought into everything from the artwork to the Latin used on the choruses. One of the few modern genres that really appreciates the value of melody, harmony, and other 'classic' songwriting attributes.

Cons - Prone to rhyming heart & dark in the lyrics. Horribly, horribly prone to treating vocalists as identikit journeymen.

Power Metal

Pros - Standard bearers for fun in heavy metal. Usually put on a good show, know how to work a crowd, usually do things 'the hard way' via touring and playing those clubs with five people that the 'post-atmospheric-post-cascadian-blackened-post-crust-metal' wouldn't shake a beard trimmer at.

Cons - Prone to turning into uhns uhns uhns bouncy Swedish pop music. Sabaton, I'm looking at you.

Black Metal

Pros - Some genuine experimentation, especially on the 'post' side. The best records have bags of atmosphere that the average sympho band could only hope to hit.

Cons - Prone to pompous grandstanding. I get it, you're a 19 year old American and have just discovered SaTaN. It's not impressive or dark, Motley Crue did it in 1983.

Folk (and Folkened other genres) Metal

Pros - The best bands, especially the underground bands, provide a window onto a local way of playing metal that you just don't get via the other genres any more. I've got a perfectly French-sounding black metal release from Ethiopia. The internet makes all things possible. With folk metal, if I've got a Russian band, they sound different to an English band, so so on.

Cons - Prone to Lai Lai Hei dancing-round-the-fire-with-mead LOOKITTHEVIKINGS AND taking it seriously silliness.

Doom Metal

Pros - Similar to folk, I've found a window onto national sounds via doom metal - and similar to symphonic, a lot of bands have a great sense of how to actually put together a piece of music that someone else can enjoy. There's also that great spectrum from Witchfinder General to Draconian, almost a headline-genre all by itself at this point.

Cons - Prone to stoners pontificating. Similar to black metal in that regard.

Glam / Hair Metal

Pros - Similar to Trad & Power - they know how to play, know how to work a crowd, and often came up the hard way. Good songs, great hooks, choruses to wave a lighter to. Bands that can fill (or sound like they can fill) a football stadium convincingly are vanishingly rare these days.

Cons - Prone to ironic 'look at the sleaze' lyrics & music videos these days. Posion, the Crue, and Ratt weren't ironic, guys, they were horrible.

Christian Metal

Pros - The bands I like that wear this tag sit in the trad / power / sympho genres strictly speaking - however what really sets them apart is the earnestness - they mean every word, every lick, every drum fill. It's not witty irony, or clever political snark. They mean it, and that generally shines through in the music.

Cons - Prone to terrible, terrible verbatim-Bible-quoting lyrical passages. NA bands are especially awful for this.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:40 am 

I can't be arsed to write down my ideas of pros and cons here, but the OP makes some bizarre points. Death metal vocals are necessary in death metal - could you imagine a Death or Possessed album with Dio or Dickinson on vocals instead? And how the hell is power metal cheesy? Metal is in general quite ''cheesy'' - it's just that the good bands know how to pull off ideas with conviction.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:15 am 

colin040 wrote:
I can't be arsed to write down my ideas of pros and cons here, but the OP makes some bizarre points. Death metal vocals are necessary in death metal - could you imagine a Death or Possessed album with Dio or Dickinson on vocals instead? And how the hell is power metal cheesy? Metal is in general quite ''cheesy'' - it's just that the good bands know how to pull off ideas with conviction.

There are different degrees of cheese. A lot of Trad Heavy Metal is tasteful cheese, an enjoyable cheese, like a fine Black Label Cambazola; whereas Flower Power Metal, that’s like a disgustingly smelly block of Epoisse de Bourgogne, which is so smelly and disgustingly potent that it’s banned on French public transport.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:52 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
colin040 wrote:

There are different degrees of cheese. A lot of Trad Heavy Metal is tasteful cheese, an enjoyable cheese, like a fine Black Label Cambazola; whereas Flower Power Metal, that’s like a disgustingly smelly block of Epoisse de Bourgogne, which is so smelly and disgustingly potent that it’s banned on French public transport.

That should be nailed up on the wall at Napalm Records and Nuclear Blast :lol:

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:03 am 

Lol...I love this thread and I will ABSOLUTELY NOT contribute. The OP was meh. Shout out to Cosmic for the quote (abridged on my part, but brilliant in toto). Methuen and gestapothrash's posts made me chuckle.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 am 

I want some appraisals on cosmic death, cosmic black, cavernous death, funeral doom, extreme prog, prog stoner, symphonic black, bedroom black, basement power, Buckethead...pretties please!!!!

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
Nu Metal

Pros: Does Rage Against the Machine and Faith No More count?? Just about the only two pros I can think of

Cons: The whole genre, the fans, the whole "my childhood was messed up" rhetoric. Also Deftones fucking suck.

I know it's your opinion, but if you think Deftones is the worst band off of nu metal, then I got some news for you...

Check out my reviews

King_of_Arnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 am 

Metalcore + Mallcore
Pros: They're where people with no real understanding of actual extreme metal get filtered to. If you do know what extreme metal sounds like though, you won't ever have to go back to unironically enjoying them.
Cons: They're being marketed as real metal thereby misleading a ton of newcomers trying to get into the wider genre. (proof of this today is that "kickass metal" Spotify playlist that features literally nothing but metalcore and is the most followed "metal" playlist - even the "metal essential" playlist I'd say is about half metalcore/mallcore, didn't know 'Break Stuff' was a bona fide metal classic)

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:06 pm 

I like what I like, I take the cons with the pros.
The only genre this applies to for me is hard rock of the AOR variety.
Pro: The smooth yet heavy sound. Fantastic singers. The hooks! The hooks!
Con: The lyrics. I can not stand the typical "I need you baby, don't leave me baby". I just can not listen to it.

Here it is done right, and I love it!

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:44 pm 

Doom metal
Pro:Heavy, with either street level heaviness, or fantasy epics. When done right, a Nietzschean idea of “the world is fucked, I cannot win, but I fight back anyway.”
Con:not many bands even play doom metal, that isn’t mostly something else. Also, the simplicity. Easier to play, but to write something simple, that’s great? Much harder.

Death metal
Pro:Fucked up extremity. “Does your mom hate it? Then it’s cooler” Telling everyone, in high school, that I didn’t listen to radio wuss music, I was cool, I listened to Dying Fetus!
Con: “Does your mom hate it? Then it’s cooler,” when that’s all it has(edgelords), instead of songwriting. Also, kind of afraid of hybridization, with other genres. Playing some dissonant avant-garde stuff, and bragging about how extreme it is means fuck all. Immolation balanced dissonance with sick riffs, and made it memorable, therefore, I actually listen to them. Also, Bolt Thrower were hardcore musicians, with little skill, but were way better than most others, through passion, guts, and catchy songwriting. A lot of bands are mediocre, simply because they aren’t memorable, but not really bad.

Black metal
Pro:by far, more creative than death metal, broader range of emotions, and despite its intolerant reputation, more prone to making great genre hybrid creations(black death, melodic black, atmospheric, black thrash, does the post and shoegaze thing pretty well). Does atmosphere way better than death metal.
Con: Inceldom. Keyboard warrior fascists. Get a job, stop ripping off the taxpayer, while claiming to be an “independent lone wolf”(real wolves hunt in groups, and you need society, for welfare checks, video games, and furry suits). Unlike death metal, it’s far less creative lyrically.

Heavy metal
Pro:works very well, hybridized with other genres(Integrity, GISM). Alone, still fucking rules, beca it has power, emotion, adventure.
Con:if you’re unoriginal, or bad at playing and writing, you can’t hide behind anything. And, some bands don’t know that fantasy lyrics should work, as metaphors for real life. We need that, as much as escapism. You’re going to be compared to all time greats, in songwriting, if you play this genre, so you’d better put your best effort forward.

Stoner metal
Pro:rocks hard. If you’re against weed, you may as well not rock. Agreeing with mainstream society just makes you an inverted hipster. Can be traditional metal epicness, punk filth, psychedelic atmospheres. Electric Wizard combined Celtic Frost with Hawkwind and Saint Vitus, and it rocked with death metal like extremity, better than death and roll. The Sword is cheesy like a good pizza, not cheesy like shitty snack foods(until they started to suck). High on Fire play stoner thrash, and Des Kensel is about as good as Dave Lombardo.
Con: Simple, catchy, same problem as doom metal. Hard to be truly bad, and fail the “is this fun, to drink beer to, at a local show” test, but to be good, you need to understand your influences, and the ingredients of your sound, and how to put them together into a winning recipe.

~Guest 1058509
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:21 pm 

thewrll wrote:
These takes on black metal cause a headache, I get the Nazi shit, sure but it's easy to avoid that, but complaining about what makes black metal black metal, just wtf.

I agree. What's the point in taking all the theatrical elements out of the most theatrical style of metal? The over the top aesthetics and kayfabe are part of what make it fun. Black metal is Wrestlemania but you guys want it to be some boring ass ten second MMA fight.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:24 pm 

Oh noice

Alternative Metal
+ had some seriously original ideas...
- ...that quickly veered into intolerable shit and goofery

Funk Metal
+ bass
- everything else

Nu Metal
+ the classiest stuff contained some serious bangers, where the somewhat gross influences were used with tact
- over 90 % of the stuff had no sense of style whatsoever, and I blame this for modern metalcore

Avant-Garde Metal
+ produced loads of unexpected yet working genre blends and seriously innovating and glorious music
- also produced a fuck ton of Arcturus mimicry and shitty circus music posing as avant-garde

Black Metal
+ no compromise -ideology, excellent mood setting yet capable of being tough as nails at the same time
- somehow compromises are there, not a fan of warping the essence of the genre. Also not a fan of picture board roaming douchebags lassoing a genre to suit their political and ideological needs when convenient

War Metal
+ even less compromise, you can taste blood and ash when listening to this shit.
- is constantly tiptoeing on the line of being just a wall of one chord riffing and blastbeats bouncing off the walls

Death Metal
+ hits you right in the jugular, and more versatile than people give credit. Emphasis on sound and RIFFS
- as with War Metal, can lose focus on the content. Not in the same inaudible way but just by being boring as fuck

Doom Metal
+ capable of unparalleled epicness and misery. Traditional vein showcases vocal talent while my favorite death doom dives into such depths
- requires careful execution, is in risk of turning plodding, meaningless and uninspired quite easily

Drone Metal
+ can simultaneously convey oppressive heaviness and immense beauty, while sounding natural and true to its sound
- can also be a tech demo on soundboards and nonexistent songwriting, formalism in the worst sense

To be continued later

Radulfr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm 

Heavy Metal
Pros: Probably my favourite genre. Heaviness, melody, virtuosity, great musicianship, what's not to like about it?
Cons: Bands often derail into radio-friendly hard rock; Impossible to find modern bands that are original (or just good)

Thrash Metal
Pros: Thrash riffs sound great in Death Metal (Vader, Armoured Angel, etc)
Cons: Thrash Metal

Doom Metal
Pros: Epic Doom; Funeral Doom
Cons: Stoner Doom

Power Metal
Pros: Great speedy riffs that have a lot of energy and adrenaline, like the one in Celesty - Unbreakable
Cons: Cheesy choruses that make me wanna shoot myself in the head, like the one in Celesty - Unbreakable

Death Metal
Pros: Manages to be the heaviest, most popular, and most varied genre all at the same time. There is something for everyone
Cons: Excessive gore; Bands often try to sound as heavy or technical as possible and forget about musicality

Black Metal
Pros: Some of the most evil sounding music there is (when done right).
Cons: Those fucking "waah waah" riffs: They don't sound evil, don't sound emotional, don't sound heavy, they are just bad. (Listen to Belus for a good example of what I'm talking about. This type of riff is everywhere in Black Metal)

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:51 pm 

Heavy metal

Pros: Overall, it is an enjoyable genre, with catchy hooks and melodies. Here, we have the classic, atemporal bands, like Accept, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy and so on, but we still have newer bands, doing great music, such as Hysterica, Burning Witches and Enforcer. What it lacks in general intensity, it compensates on fluid, enjoyable music.

Cons: I don't really see many cons regarding heavy metal, per se, however, I'm not really fond of the typical high pitched scream à lá Halford that some vocalists try to reproduce, on their own way. Sometimes, instead of appearing a epic, powerful remark on their music, it just gets pretty much ridiculous. Some bands do it very well (Crystal Viper), some don't (Kobra and the Lotus).

Power Metal

Pros: One of my all-time favourite styles of music. It's perfect for synchronize with symphonic elements, which generally makes it pretty majestic, along with the featuring of a broad range of vocal styles, from soprano singing to harsh vocals. It surely gets pretty chessy often (like, MoonSun, Sunrise, Force Majeure, Alieson), but I fell like that's an essential part of the genre's identity.

Cons: Some bands try to do some of the stuff I've mentioned above and end up sounding pretty lame and random, instead of epic and majestic, just like Pathfinder in "Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time" and Nightwish's newest "Human || Nature".

Thrash Metal

Pros: Has a lot of adrenaline, perfect to accompany with physical exercise.

Cons: Some bands have a really poor vocal delivering (Vio-Lence and Exarsis, for example).

Death Metal

Pros: Awesome when mixed with other genres (symphonic/blackened death metal, death doom) and when having different approaches to its music (melodeath, technical/progressive/brutal death metal).

Cons: Death metal, per se, it's pretty stale and uncreative and it only appears to sound appealing when it's taken to a different route, musically speaking.

Black Metal

Pros: Great music, either it be pure BM or mixed with other genres or by having a different approach to it (symphonic, melodic, atmospheric, ambient, depressive, post-black metal, amongst others).

Cons: Some of its fanbase, by its musical elitism, political/ideological extremism and militantism. Also, all that anti-religious and/or misunderstood Satanism/Nietzschism verbiage that black metallers like to enforce, either on their music, or in their inter-human relatioships.

Doom Metal
Pros: Nice and lugubrious atmosphere, excellent vocal delivery (specially in funeral doom, like Howling Void, Vaee Solis and Ahab).

Cons: I'm not very educated on doom metal, so, I guess I have nothing negative to appoint on it, at the moment.

Gothic Metal

Pros: Similarly to doom, it generally haves a great atmosphere, complemented with keys/symphonic instruments and I do really love the "beauty and the beast" vocal contrast.

Cons: It's often difficult to identify. What does exactly defines gothic metal? Dementia Mortalis, Domina Noctis, Reveries End and Nicumo are all gothic metal bands, but they don't appear to share any similar sounding between each other.

Groove Metal
Pros: Just like thrash, it's full of adrenaline and great to listen to while doing physical exercise.

Cons: It eventually gets tiring.

Symphonic Metal
Pros: Other of my all-time favourite styles of music. The vocal delivery is generally incredible and I do appreciate a lot its focus on female vocalists, as I love feminine voices in my metal.

Cons: It appears that some bands use their singers as a marketing strategy, to appeal to male's eyes. I don't really like this and also the fact that many metalheads react to this by saying that "all males that listen to symphonic metal only do it because of the gals", or stuff on the lines of that. While it might be true for some cases, I'd say that's just a dumb stereotype launched by people who won't listen to "weak/flower metal" and just need to find a pretext for hating.
I also dislike the way some bands treat their vocalists, as if they were some kind of disposable object (e.g.: Sirenia, Xandria, Nightwish...). This seems only to be an issue on bigger bands, as far as I know.
Additionally: the fanbase. Some of its demographic is composed by those creepy dudes in their 50's/60's who thirst all over the female vocalists, while making some excessively laudatory comments about their physical appearance. That's something I do find very unsettling. It's not that I'm against older people to listen and support the bands they like, it's just that some people share some characteristic behaviours that I can't help just to find them pretty strange or even disturbing, in some circumstances.

Stoner/Sludge Metal
Pros: Good and memorable when done well; generally, has a good atmosphere;

Cons: Lately, the scene has been overly saturated by a shit-ton of uncreative bands.

Southern Metal
Pros: Refreshing when well done. Some bands tend to incline their music on thrash/groove metal, like Anti-Mortem and Chain Driven and it generally ends up pretty enjoyable.

Cons: Most bands are extremely repetitive and uncreative, sounding all like something that Phil Anselmo has already done previously. The Black Stone Cherry-esque riffing and harmonies and the post-grungy style of gnarling ends up as being extremely tiring pretty quickly.

Progressive/Avant-garde Metal
Pros: I do appreciate the technicality and complexity of one's music and when is well articulated, the result is absolutely fascinating. I like how those bands defy metal's conventions that way (like, Unexpect, Arcturus, Twisted into Form and Cryptic Ruse).

Cons: Some bands get lost in an overly complex style of playing that translates into souless, non-sensical instrumental wankery. I can't be focused on a song that keeps changing its structure and harmony every 30 seconds.

Alternative Metal
Pros: The blend of heavy instrumentation with pop-esque song structures, mixed with simple clean vocals is, generally pretty refreshing and fun to listen to. Some classics lie here (SOAD, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Flyleaf, amongst others), so, alt metal will always have a special place in my musical repertoire.

Cons: It gets tiring to listen to pretty quickly.

Nu Metal

Pros: Just like groove and thrash, it's fun and full of adrenaline, being perfect to listen to while doing physical exercise.

Cons: Similarly to alternative metal, it also gets tiring to listen to easily.

Metalcore/Deathcore

Pros: Also great to accompany with physical exercise. Metalcore is pretty good, has catchy hooks and great melodies, borrowed from other styles, like thrash and melodeath, even thought it often gets very dependant on it to be conceived. I like deathcore mostly when mixed with other styles of music, or when it haves different musical approaches to it (brutal/slam deathcore, symphonic, blackened and technical deathcore, for example).

Cons: Some metalcore bands aren't able to perform a good vocal transition, between the harsher and clean vocal sections. Although bands like Miss May I and Killswitch Engage do it pretty well, some others, like Escape the Fate or Psychic Jail, do not. Deathcore, in its purest form, tends to be stale and it's not very creative at all.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Metalcore + Mallcore
Pros: They're where people with no real understanding of actual extreme metal get filtered to. If you do know what extreme metal sounds like though, you won't ever have to go back to unironically enjoying them.
Cons: They're being marketed as real metal thereby misleading a ton of newcomers trying to get into the wider genre. (proof of this today is that "kickass metal" Spotify playlist that features literally nothing but metalcore and is the most followed "metal" playlist - even the "metal essential" playlist I'd say is about half metalcore/mallcore, didn't know 'Break Stuff' was a bona fide metal classic)

This is highly concerning. This is why we need elitism, and to spread true metal propaganda. I, personally, have no problem considering Slipknot metal, and good. But Limp Bizkit, as “kickass metal?” They aren’t kickass anything. They need some quality control. Sounds like some pay to play garbage.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:39 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:
Metalcore + Mallcore

This is highly concerning. This is why we need elitism, and to spread true metal propaganda. I, personally, have no problem considering Slipknot metal, and good. But Limp Bizkit, as “kickass metal?” They aren’t kickass anything. They need some quality control. Sounds like some pay to play garbage.

Have you actually met someone who considered Limp Bizkit "kickass metal"? Because if so, I hope they got a good dose of some Slayer later on in life.

Check out my reviews

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:06 pm 

Tech-death. Pros: amazing musicianship and generally good songwriting. Cons: most bands sound the same and the genre gets boring quite fast.

Melodeath - Pros: when done right, it's perhaps the most powerful style of heavy metal. At least it is for me. Cons: There just aren't that many good melodeath bands anymore.

Power metal. Pros: amazing musicianship, good songs, and usually outstanding vocals. Cons: lyrics tend to be utter shite

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
King_of_Arnor wrote:
Metalcore + Mallcore

Have you actually met someone who considered Limp Bizkit "kickass metal"? Because if so, I hope they got a good dose of some Slayer later on in life.

What, you haven't met those people? I feel like they're everywhere. Especially down here in Oz, a lot of blokes who were teens in the 90s grew up on Limp Dickzit and all the other mallcore bands under the guise of it being "the heaviest fucking metal". Same people who think Dimebag Darrell invented the electric guitar, and Roots-era Sepultura and Pantera were the forerunners of Thrash

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:38 am 

Black metal:
Pros- Easily my favorite subgenre of metal. I adore its rawness, its ferocity, but also its beauty and artfulness. I don't think there's a subgenre with a bigger scope and variety of different sounds, moods, and aesthetic sensibilities. I also love the DIY, lo-fi approach a lot of bands take.

Cons- Dumbass troglodyte fans that worship the ground that Varg Vikernes walks on. Nazis and their shitheaded ilk are significantly more commonplace in black metal than other genres, which is irritating to deal with. The self-important thespianism in the subgenre can be a bit grating at times.

Doom metal:
Pros- The RIFFFFSSSS. The slow precision, the fuzz, the meticulously crafted guitar tones. The riffs. Worship the riffs, feel their crushing, unholy power.

Cons- It's really commonplace for newer doom metal bands to fall into repetitive, cookie-cutter clones of each other, especially in stoner doom. You sound like Sabbath? Great, so do a million other bands.

Power metal:
Pros- Some of the best vocalists in metal. I love fantasy shit, so naturally I also love power metal and its unrepentant nerdiness, it was the subgenre that got me into metal. Meshes really well with orchestral elements, especially when Blind Guardian throw them in the mix.

Cons- Some of the worst vocalists in metal. Sometimes it's possible to be too cheesy.

Folk metal:
Pros- It's fun.

Cons- It's stupid.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:35 am 

MDL wrote:
Symphonic Metal
Additionally: the fanbase. Some of its demographic is composed by those creepy dudes in their 50's/60's who thirst all over the female vocalists, while making some excessively laudatory comments about their physical appearance. That's something I do find very unsettling. It's not that I'm against older people to listen and support the bands they like, it's just that some people share some characteristic behaviours that I can't help just to find them pretty strange or even disturbing, in some circumstances.

That happens in real life, too - when my wife & I went to see Beyond the Black (shush, it's fun music), we'd expected to be stood at the back of the club avoiding the kids & looking like the old folks. No no, from about the third row it was full of large middle aged men staring at the singer. One guy spent the entire show entirely unmoving - no clapping, singing, nothing - stood about an inch from my head just staring at her. She did a walk through the crowd for a piano song on a small stage, and did it with the biggest bodyguard I've ever seen. Man must have been seven feet tall and about five across. Y'can see why !

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:41 am 

Genres are only good when they're mixed :P

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
What, you haven't met those people? I feel like they're everywhere. Especially down here in Oz, a lot of blokes who were teens in the 90s grew up on Limp Dickzit and all the other mallcore bands under the guise of it being "the heaviest fucking metal". Same people who think Dimebag Darrell invented the electric guitar, and Roots-era Sepultura and Pantera were the forerunners of Thrash

Well this ideology isn't common in the area I live in, and most people do have respect for the nu metal genre, but doesn't think Fred Durst is the new Bruce Dickinson.

Check out my reviews

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next