Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 pm 
 

I read the title and I thought "Are they talking about him? Let's find out!" but alas, it wasn't him.
_________________
I watch LotR on a monthly basis
__________
My wantlist / Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Inkshooter
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm
Posts: 1029
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 am 
 

Thexhumed wrote:
I read the title and I thought "Are they talking about him? Let's find out!" but alas, it wasn't him.


He's banned from Youtube, and that's for the best.
_________________
For the kings of the ravenrealm

Top
 Profile  
PETERG
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:48 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:39 am 
 

Slater922 wrote:
Tiam Kara wrote:
PETERG wrote:
Yep. I would put the shittiest RABM next to hilarious NSBM bands like Granatus or Pagan Warrior 88. There are some NSBM bands though that are really great : Wolfnacht, Absurd (not all of their music), Peste Noire, Ad Hominem, Grand Belial's Key etc.

The fuck?

With all due respect, PETERG, the five NSBM bands you like aren't that good. I only like some of the less racist songs from Absurd and Peste Noire, and I don't even care for Wolfnacht.




Well Ad Hominem are on my playlists constantly since their release Climax of Hatred.
I listen to Absurd mostly for like 4 to 5 songs - mainly their Der fünfzehnjährige Krieg album.
Peste Noire's music is so ugly, disharmonized and disoriented that it makes it genius.
As far as for Wolfnacht they just have good riffs and that is all.
GBK are amazing for me.

But whatever everything is a matter of taste. :-D
_________________
R.I.P. Diamhea.

I got places I gotta be!

Top
 Profile  
Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 am 
 

The channel sucks already just because it perpetuates so many stereotypes about black metal fans by engaging in deranged gatekeeping without a hint of irony, but I genuinely think whoever runs it is a nazi or incredibly adjacent politically. I don't have the energy to be that charitable to someone who goes out of their way to defend nazis in black metal so much while categorically attacking left wing bands for the mere reason of opposing nazi bands. Has also directed a lot of bullying at the guitarist from Dawn Ray'd because he plays guitar kinda weird. Overall utterly disgusting person who makes bad content.

Top
 Profile  
Gameofmetal
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:57 pm
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:43 am 
 

Invocation wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:
I have to be honest this is the first time I've ever heard the term RABM and after scrolling through the reddit page I kinda felt bad for those people. It's just tons of stuff like "oh I like band X, are they nazis?" And then someone else will chime in with something along the lines of "yeah dude, the guy's uncle's ex-girlfriend used to babysit a kid whose cousin had a label that liked a facebook post by nazi#9001. It's best that you stop enjoying them and apologize." I can understand being against a certain band or person because they've committed some sort of atrocity, but it just seems absolutely ridiculous that somebody would disown a band that they really enjoy just because there's a picture of one of their members wearing a certain shirt or something equally trivial.


Yeah, I browsed the subreddit and the attitude there is just really alien to me. I understand not wanting to listen to or support far-right bands and labels, but people were talking about boycotting whole distros because they stocked a couple of NSBM records. You can get Burzum records from Amazon and HMV, should we boycott them too? If you're that determined to avoid any tangential contact with "sketchy" musicians you may as well not bother listening to extreme metal in the first place. They were referring to distros and bands they consider safe as "clean" - the whole vibe reminds me McCarthyism or Stalinism.

Edit: An example of the sort of thing I'm talking about, someone actually posted "Any band that is interviewed by Bardo Methodology is blacklisted to me.". It's pathetic. Katatonia and Anathema are blacklisted to them?


Some intense logical inconsistency here. I agree some people are kinda dumb on this subject, but you're claiming here to be fine with people not supporting far right bands and then your examples of them taking it too far is just them categorically doing exactly that. There's some literal non-points here too like the random claim that "clean" is a McCarthyism dogwhistle or something. Your argument is severely nonsensical, you should definitely reorganize it or shift your position to what you genuinely believe.

Top
 Profile  
Hecatomb867
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:56 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm 
 

Gameofmetal wrote:
Invocation wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:
I have to be honest this is the first time I've ever heard the term RABM and after scrolling through the reddit page I kinda felt bad for those people. It's just tons of stuff like "oh I like band X, are they nazis?" And then someone else will chime in with something along the lines of "yeah dude, the guy's uncle's ex-girlfriend used to babysit a kid whose cousin had a label that liked a facebook post by nazi#9001. It's best that you stop enjoying them and apologize." I can understand being against a certain band or person because they've committed some sort of atrocity, but it just seems absolutely ridiculous that somebody would disown a band that they really enjoy just because there's a picture of one of their members wearing a certain shirt or something equally trivial.


Yeah, I browsed the subreddit and the attitude there is just really alien to me. I understand not wanting to listen to or support far-right bands and labels, but people were talking about boycotting whole distros because they stocked a couple of NSBM records. You can get Burzum records from Amazon and HMV, should we boycott them too? If you're that determined to avoid any tangential contact with "sketchy" musicians you may as well not bother listening to extreme metal in the first place. They were referring to distros and bands they consider safe as "clean" - the whole vibe reminds me McCarthyism or Stalinism.

Edit: An example of the sort of thing I'm talking about, someone actually posted "Any band that is interviewed by Bardo Methodology is blacklisted to me.". It's pathetic. Katatonia and Anathema are blacklisted to them?


Some intense logical inconsistency here. I agree some people are kinda dumb on this subject, but you're claiming here to be fine with people not supporting far right bands and then your examples of them taking it too far is just them categorically doing exactly that. There's some literal non-points here too like the random claim that "clean" is a McCarthyism dogwhistle or something. Your argument is severely nonsensical, you should definitely reorganize it or shift your position to what you genuinely believe.


And what exactly is inconsistent about that logic? It's one thing to not wanna support outright NSBM bands but boycotting an entire distro because they inadvertently sold some NSBM adjacent releases is a textbook example of Mccarthyism. Blacklisting any band that does an interview with Bardo Methodology is equally absurd.

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1256
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm 
 

Inkshooter wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
I read the title and I thought "Are they talking about him? Let's find out!" but alas, it wasn't him.


He's banned from Youtube, and that's for the best.


Yeah, the dude's crazier than ever
_________________
I watch LotR on a monthly basis
__________
My wantlist / Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 413
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:16 pm 
 

Does anyone know any other metal Youtubers that have similar controversy besides HBM and Varg's former channel? Because I can't think of any.
_________________
FLORIDIAN DEATH METAL AND NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL IS KING

Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
PETERG
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:48 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:03 pm 
 

Slater922 wrote:
Does anyone know any other metal Youtubers that have similar controversy besides HBM and Varg's former channel? Because I can't think of any.



Razorfist has some kind of controversy behind him. That is mainly because of his political videos, which is just him masturbating with a thesaurus, talking fast and loud trying to squeeze any dime of legitimacy about Trump's politics.
_________________
R.I.P. Diamhea.

I got places I gotta be!

Top
 Profile  
PETERG
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:48 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:06 pm 
 

Gameofmetal wrote:
The channel sucks already just because it perpetuates so many stereotypes about black metal fans by engaging in deranged gatekeeping without a hint of irony, but I genuinely think whoever runs it is a nazi or incredibly adjacent politically. I don't have the energy to be that charitable to someone who goes out of their way to defend nazis in black metal so much while categorically attacking left wing bands for the mere reason of opposing nazi bands. Has also directed a lot of bullying at the guitarist from Dawn Ray'd because he plays guitar kinda weird. Overall utterly disgusting person who makes bad content.



I think that when Trump got elected he made a video in which he implied that he did not support the Republicans or any right wing party, but he was glad that Hilary lost. I don't think that he is a nazi or anything; his main point in "defending" nsbm bands is that he separates the art from the artist. Then again calling everyone who doesn't do that "npc" or whatever is kind of unnecessary.
_________________
R.I.P. Diamhea.

I got places I gotta be!

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 413
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:48 pm 
 

PETERG wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Does anyone know any other metal Youtubers that have similar controversy besides HBM and Varg's former channel? Because I can't think of any.



Razorfist has some kind of controversy behind him. That is mainly because of his political videos, which is just him masturbating with a thesaurus, talking fast and loud trying to squeeze any dime of legitimacy about Trump's politics.

I actually went to his channel to check it out, and the first video I see is called "Jon Schaffer Did Nothing Wrong".



I don't think I need to explain why this video is bad.

:getout: :oh shit:
_________________
FLORIDIAN DEATH METAL AND NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL IS KING

Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 5366
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:07 pm 
 

Can we just collectively agree that YouTube metal culture was a mistake?
_________________
Christopher Steve (Doom Folk/Americana): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Power Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com
Spirit Division (Stoner Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:30 pm
Posts: 76
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 pm 
 

Yes. YouTube is, mostly a mistake. If you asked me about “democratization” of media, back in the 2000s, I would’ve thought it’s a utopian ideal. It’s not. YouTube and Reddit aren’t “the nerds get to be king,” they’re just circle jerks of losers, and breeding grounds for flat earth and conspiracies.

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 413
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Can we just collectively agree that YouTube metal culture was a mistake?

While it's true that many metalhead Youtubers like HBM, Varg, and The Rageaholic are horrible, not all of them are bad. I personally enjoy Killbot&GorGorAttack!! and Blackmetal Werewolf.
_________________
FLORIDIAN DEATH METAL AND NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL IS KING

Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Reid
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 388
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:41 pm 
 

Slater922 wrote:


I don't think I need to explain why this video is bad.

:getout: :oh shit:


Holy shit, I could barely make it through the full six minutes.

Who... who does this appeal to? Like seriously? Even if I shared this dude's politics 100% (I probably am the furthest away you can get from them), his writing and delivery is just... pure cringe. Just the histrionic ravings of someone who never progressed past his 16 year old edgelord phase.

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 672
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Can we just collectively agree that YouTube metal culture was a mistake?


When youtube first premeired in '05 it was incredible! I was so excited to finally watch videos from Forbidden, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies etc. But as the years went on the comment sections just kept getting weirder and darker. Metal fans can seem perfectly normal on forums and social media but as soon as they get on youtube they turn into complete animals.
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

untappd: patrick_g

Top
 Profile  
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am
Posts: 5487
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:12 pm 
 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
But as the years went on the comment sections just kept getting weirder and darker. Metal fans can seem perfectly normal on forums and social media but as soon as they get on youtube they turn into complete animals.

I highly recommend Chrome users to use this extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... afoh?hl=en

This'll remove any temptation to skim over the comment cesspool that inevitably leaves you infuriated or depressed.
_________________
RYM
BastardHead wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida


This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 672
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:24 pm 
 

Wilytank wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:
But as the years went on the comment sections just kept getting weirder and darker. Metal fans can seem perfectly normal on forums and social media but as soon as they get on youtube they turn into complete animals.

I highly recommend Chrome users to use this extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... afoh?hl=en

This'll remove any temptation to skim over the comment cesspool that inevitably leaves you infuriated or depressed.


LOL thank you! I had no idea that existed.
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

untappd: patrick_g

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 1921
Location: Suomi Finland Perkele
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 am 
 

that would need a whitelist of channels to still show the comments from - wouldn't want to have to toggle the extension on/off depending on what i'm watching
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
PETERG
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:48 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:17 am 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Can we just collectively agree that YouTube metal culture was a mistake?



Gotta have to disagree here. Coverkillernation was an amazing channel - he is retired now but his videos were amazing. Most music producers and youtuber such as Rick Beato, Glenn Ficker or even Jared Dines - if you except his horrendous attacks towards Lucas Mann.
_________________
R.I.P. Diamhea.

I got places I gotta be!

Top
 Profile  
PETERG
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:48 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Greece
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 am 
 

Slater922 wrote:
PETERG wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Does anyone know any other metal Youtubers that have similar controversy besides HBM and Varg's former channel? Because I can't think of any.



Razorfist has some kind of controversy behind him. That is mainly because of his political videos, which is just him masturbating with a thesaurus, talking fast and loud trying to squeeze any dime of legitimacy about Trump's politics.

I actually went to his channel to check it out, and the first video I see is called "Jon Schaffer Did Nothing Wrong".



I don't think I need to explain why this video is bad.

:getout: :oh shit:



This is a new low for Razorfist... you should post it on the thread about John Schaffer's arrest. That should be fun :love: :-D
_________________
R.I.P. Diamhea.

I got places I gotta be!

Top
 Profile  
Slater922
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:24 pm
Posts: 413
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:59 am 
 

PETERG wrote:
This is a new low for Razorfist... you should post it on the thread about John Schaffer's arrest. That should be fun :love: :-D

I already did. The people there are just as shocked.
_________________
FLORIDIAN DEATH METAL AND NORWEGIAN BLACK METAL IS KING

Check out my reviews

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LycanthropeMoon, yungstirjoey666 and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group