Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 am 

Finnish death metallers Ghastly will release their third album, Mercurial Passages, through 20 Buck Spin on May 28. From the press release:

Quote:
Ghastly return anew from the limitless wellspring of incomprehensible obscurity and dark inspiration that is Finland with its third album of mind-altering nightmare visions, ‘Mercurial Passages’.
All the elements that made ‘Death Velour’ a rarified jewel return in full splendor on ‘Mercurial Passages’. The memorably eerie slow burn build ups, the frantically vivid outbursts of speed and dramatic trance inducing doom fragments that create a hypnotic psychedelia akin to being lost in infinite labyrinthine corridors perpetually folding in on themselves. Death Metal for altered states of consciousness and mystifying wonder, rather than corporeal rot and earthbound materialism.
The album is once again graced with hauntingly cerebral artwork from Riikka Pesonen whose visual elegance provides the perfect accompaniment to Ghastly’s sinister eccentricity. An album to be consumed as a contemplative whole, ‘Mercurial Passages’ burrows into the deep recesses of the psyche exposing the dark subconscious to the edges of madness

Tracklisting:
1. Ouroborus
2. Out of the Psychic Blue
3. Sea Of Light
4. Perdition
5. Parasites
6. Dawnless Dreams
7. Mirror Horizon

Parasites has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

I dug Death Velour so this should be a good one. Ghastly are one of those contemporary bands taking the psychedelic approach to ODSM Morbus Chron popularized and they're doing a pretty good job of it IMO.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:17 am 

Fuck yes. This is probably my favorite niche style of death metal Ghastly feel like one of the only ones still doing it. Tribulation only tried it with their second album, Venenum haven't been heard from in four years, Horrendous got way too jazzy, and the new Sweven is great but they took it a bit too far away from death metal.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Fuck yes. This is probably my favorite niche style of death metal Ghastly feel like one of the only ones still doing it. Tribulation only tried it with their second album, Venenum haven't been heard from in four years, Horrendous got way too jazzy, and the new Sweven is great but they took it a bit too far away from death metal.

Yeah, Bedsore is another new name that's popped up recently (and are signed to the same label) but there are not a ton of bands pursuing this particular approach to death metal. I'm still wondering what's going on with Venenum, you would think with all of the praise Trance of Death got that we would have heard some news about a follow-up by now.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:43 am 

The second single is out:

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:54 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Yeah, Bedsore is another new name that's popped up recently (and are signed to the same label) but there are not a ton of bands pursuing this particular approach to death metal. I'm still wondering what's going on with Venenum, you would think with all of the praise Trance of Death got that we would have heard some news about a follow-up by now.

Yeah, Venenum have been real quiet for a while. Saw them live a while ago and they were fantastic.

Both Ghastly songs sound cool so far.

Execration could also be included in the list of bands with a similar sound but their latest album was a bit disappointing. Bedsore were already mentioned and I think they are fantastic. Maybe Chapel of Disease?

https://chapelofdisease.bandcamp.com/

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:58 am 

Chapel of Disease sounds like Dire Straits if they played death metal, at least on their last album. I wouldn't be surprised if they kidnapped Mark Knopfler and forced him to lay down some guest solos or something.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:03 am 

It's clearly on the "mellow" side of the genre but I think the album is ok. You're exaggerating.

I'm trying to remember another band that put an album last year that was very similar to Morbus Chron but I can't remember it. It was unexpected and a lot of people missed it. Question are also cool:

https://question-chaos-records.bandcamp ... f-the-void

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
It's clearly on the "mellow" side of the genre but I think the album is ok. You're exaggerating.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing by any means, they found a unique sound that no one else is really doing and I liked their last album a lot.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:32 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing by any means, they found a unique sound that no one else is really doing and I liked their last album a lot.

Oh sorry, I thought the Mark Knopfler comparison was pejorative. Not a great fan of the guy to be honest.

In the meantime:

https://execration.no/album/morbid-dimensions

https://edgedcircleproductions.bandcamp ... d-traverse

Edit: I think I found it but it's not quite as I remembered it. Anyway, I think some of you may enjoy it. It scratches a similar itch.

https://anael-iec.bandcamp.com/

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:52 am 

I've heard Execration and Reptillian before, but that Anael record is new to me so I'll give it a listen.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:21 pm 

Siderean (Slovenian band formed by ex-members of Teleport) fits into this style as well. They have a new album out on June 25.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:34 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Siderean (Slovenian band formed by ex-members of Teleport) fits into this style as well. They have a new album out on June 25.

Came here to say this, currently listening to the album and it's great.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:32 pm 

Not really a fan of these types of bands, but I will say that they almost always seem to have fantastic artwork that captures the feel of their sound in visual form. Quite refreshing to see that.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:29 am 

Yeah I'd say the previous Chapel of Disease albums fit that style better. I think their latest album is absolutely incredible, and one of the most unique death metal albums of all time, but as y'all mentioned it's more of a blend of 70s rock rather than psych/prog. Thanks for the recs on the others, hadn't heard of Anael, Repitilian, or Siderean but checking them out now.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:22 pm 

Reveal! is another band that hasn't been mentioned yet. Their last album Scissorgod is incredibly trippy and psychedelic sounding, although it's probably closer to Tribulation-esque occult gothic metal than death metal proper.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:22 am 

Epitaphe too.

https://epitaphe.bandcamp.com/album/i-2

Cranking_the_Sirens
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:02 am 

Lots of great recommendations in this thread - just in time for Bandcamp Friday! Another band that I think exists on the periphery of this style, if not entirely within it, is Necrovation (specifically their self-titled album). More straight forward than some of these other mentions, and probably well known by most people interested in this particular style, but it's sufficiently weird and still manages to kick some ass.

On topic: the two singles I've heard so far from this upcoming album both sound great. More or less a continuation of the previous album, perhaps slightly more intense. Looking forward to hearing the full release!

First post: MY FIST

Second post: OTHER FIST

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:42 pm 

Thank you SO MUCH for that rec. Necrovation definitely fits this style, and I cannot stop listening to that record. Definitely in the top-tier of this particular niche. Here's hoping the new Ghastly is on this level!

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:47 pm 

Well it's a pretty neat coincidence that the thread's been bumped since they just put out the third single:

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:35 am 

Full album:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:01 am 

very cool to see these psychedelic death metal threads pop up every once in a while. Definitely one of the most fulfilling styles of dm to lurk in the background this past decade.
Personally I'm also into the frantic technical side of this with bands such as Gigan, Ad Nauseam and such.
Theres also a new Diskord album coming this august.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:43 pm 

Really digging the laid-back production on this. Feels super organic and not polished, and almost like they didn't record with a click, which really helps with the dreamy atmospheric. Nothing particularly groundbreaking jumping out on first listen, but definitely a solid psych-death release!

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:17 am 

Really like this album but it’s definitely dreary. It succeeds in how moody it is and that’s just down to some good songwriting and craftsmanship.

Reply to topic