Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:26 pm 

French black metallers will release their new album La Morsure du Christ through Season of Mist on May 7. From the press release:

Quote:
With the flame of SETH burning strong again, the French black metallers started writing new material. On the new record 'La Morsure du Christ' (a double meaning title: literally « The Bite of Christ » and phonetically « Christ's death is certain »), they return to their original sound, employ French alexandrine verse in their lyrics and choose a striking image as an album art. The blazing inferno of the Notre-Dame de Paris is depicted on the cover, an event that shuddered the world on April 15, 2019. The release of the record marks the 2nd anniversary of the event. It's a powerful picture that conveys the very essence of 'La Morsure du Christ.' In a world moving further away from religion and spirituality, the demise of this landmark symbolizes the end of the Christian reign and the ultimate betrayal of God. From the ashes of the cathedral, a godless world will come into being.

Tracklisting:
1. La morsure du Christ
2. Métal noir
3. Sacrifice de sang
4. Ex-cathédrale
5. Hymne au vampire (Acte III)
6. Les océans du vide
7. Le triomphe de Lucifer

The title track has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

I'm not too familiar with Seth, I think I've only ever listened to their previous album The Howling Spirit. But I like the first single they released and if this is supposed to be a sequel of sorts to their debut album I guess I'll have to check that one out.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:15 pm 

Man, this is a blast from the past. Haven't heard Seth in ages and never got around to check out The Howling Spirit. But this track sounds very good. Interesting, and I'll have to check out The Howling Spirit for sure.

I remember Les blessures de l'âme as their best album by a mile, and something a bit different and unique. Kinda like old Abigor, but not quite. Kinda hard to explain. Got to revisit that one to see if it is as I remember.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:35 pm 

The second single is out:

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:02 pm 

I have to say I'm looking forward to hearing this album even more after listening to that second single. This is exactly the kind of epic black metal I enjoy.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:35 am 

Seson of Mist has uploaded the full album:

snarg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:02 pm 

Never cared much for this band but this album is really solid. Been enjoying it non stop all day.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:44 pm 

snarg wrote:
Never cared much for this band but this album is really solid. Been enjoying it non stop all day.

Same here. I might actually check out their other works.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:05 am 

This new album is fantastic, and definitely sees the band revisiting the style they played on their debut Les blessures de l'âme, which most fans would agree is their best era.

For those new to this band, their discography is kind of spotty and the band has gone through quite a few styles of black metal over the years. Some are good, and some are not in my opinion. If you like this new album, check out their debut and the By Fire, Power Shall Be... EP. The live album they put out in 2019 called "Les blessures de l'âme : XX ans de blasphème" is also recommended; it's basically a re-recording of their first album and is so well recorded that it almost doesn't even sound like a live record.

I'd also highly recommend The Howling Spirit from 2013. It's different than this new album but very good; kind of like avant-garde black metal mixed with some modern Dimmu Borgir moments.

The rest? The Excellence is pretty good, kind of a more aggressive take on their early stuff. Not my favorite, but not bad either. Divine-X and Era-Decay are kind of a continuation of The Excellence - less melodic and colder sounding black metal with some industrial touches. I find both those albums to be mostly forgettable and not really worth checking out unless that type of sound appeals to you.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:25 pm 

I was new to this band, and the new album was the first thing I checked out. I was surprised how fresh and interesting it was, and it drove me to check out the rest of their material. I have to say, none of the albums really stack up to this new one. It's evident that they must have had some kind of reinvention of the band leading up to this one, because nothing else they've done really compares to it. The other albums had their moments, and my favorite aspect of them was the acoustic passages that they would bring in from time to time. I'd say one of the best releases other than the new album was probably their first EP.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:51 pm 

I'm usually not really into symphonic black metal, or at least the more clean, melodic and hi-fi acts of "regular" black metal, but this new album by Seth really has great moments. Keys are used properly, and there isn't too much useless flashyness in there, as is usually more common in symphonic black metal. I like it :)

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:38 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I'm usually not really into symphonic black metal, or at least the more clean, melodic and hi-fi acts of "regular" black metal, but this new album by Seth really has great moments. Keys are used properly, and there isn't too much useless flashyness in there, as is usually more common in symphonic black metal. I like it :)

Are you sure it's not because they sing in French? :-P

I actually have not listened to many Black Metal bands who sing in French other than this band, Alcest, and Glaciation, but I think it works very well for the style. It sounds very passionate and emotional, and fits the music quite well.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:17 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

Are you sure it's not because they sing in French? :-P

I actually have not listened to many Black Metal bands who sing in French other than this band, Alcest, and Glaciation, but I think it works very well for the style. It sounds very passionate and emotional, and fits the music quite well.

Sounds like you should check Forteresse

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:41 pm 

I'll definitely add them to my list of bands to check out! Thanks for the recommendation.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 pm 

This album is really good, I've gone back to it quite a few times.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:28 pm 

Yeah this is quite good. I tried By Fire, Power Shall Be... when goatowarex released it a couple years ago and it didn't do anything for me. Gotta revisit that.

Reply to topic