Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:26 am 

Metallica's Facebook page today was teasing a video of Wherever I May Roam from San Diego in 1992. August 12 will be the 30th anniversary of the record, and this detail surely would not be lost on Metallica.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the box set series up until now. Sure, they missed a trick with Justice, where they should have released a version of the record in that box set with a remix of the bass, but the studio versions aren't the reason I've enjoyed these releases. The demo content, as well as slew of live concert shows has been awesome. I'll definitely be picking the Black album box set when it finally drops.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:50 am 

I'm not really a huge fan of box sets, but I'll be sure to check out the Black album box set when it drops.

Rico McPato
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:19 am 

What annoys me about the Metallica anniversary editions is that for KEA and RTL you only had the super fancy huge boxsets or the bare bones CD/Vinyl, while for MOP and AJFA they also released intermediate versions that had a lot of extra stuff but were more accesible/less overwhelming than the boxsets. I bought the RTL boxset and it was simply too much stuff that I dont need. The MOP and AJFA 3 cd editions, on the other hand, were pretty perfect.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:26 pm 

I hope that they include the full shows from Day On The Green and Donington 1991. The Year and a Half video featured Sad But True from the former and FWTBT from the latter, and both of those versions are IMO the definitive ones for each song, so the shows were probably really good.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:32 pm 

Rico McPato wrote:
What annoys me about the Metallica anniversary editions is that for KEA and RTL you only had the super fancy huge boxsets or the bare bones CD/Vinyl, while for MOP and AJFA they also released intermediate versions that had a lot of extra stuff but were more accesible/less overwhelming than the boxsets. I bought the RTL boxset and it was simply too much stuff that I dont need. The MOP and AJFA 3 cd editions, on the other hand, were pretty perfect.

Yep fully agree. I was really looking forward to a decent reissue series on CD from Metallica, particularly the first 2 albums but they had to go all mental with them. I wanted the demos and any cool live stuff from that time.
I wonder if the sales of the KEA and RTL CD remasters had anything to do with the change of tact on the next 2 remasters?
I'm still so pissed off about those first 2 that I've refused to buy the better MOP & AJFA editions. Fuck em all!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:35 am 

I would consider myself a die-hard, true defender of Metallica, but even I find these boxsets waaaaay too expansive without anything that would truly interest me.

I know they've never been a band that has a pile of unreleased songs/outtakes, but listening to demo riff tapes and rehearsals just doesn't do it for me. One thing i would have loved for all these boxsets to have, is a film included of the band, producers, record label people, contemporaries, crew members talking about the making of the album/tour. Metallica has the money to pull this off; basically a 60 minute documentary for each and every album, spliced with live performances, TV interviews from the time, studio footage.

The round table discussions they did about Puppets and Justice that they posted to the youtube channel were much more interesting than anything in the boxsets, imo.

And PLEASE get Jason involved in these interviews. It's not like there is any bad blood anymore. It was useless to have Rob sitting there for the Justice chat.

(I am glad they didn't reissue Justice with bass. That's the way the album sounds. That's part of its history.)

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:57 pm 

jimbies wrote:
(I am glad they didn't reissue Justice with bass. That's the way the album sounds. That's part of its history.)

I feel they should have at least had a remixed version of the album, along with the original mix. I get why they didn't do it to the standard studio version, but it is such a conscientious issue that they could have addressed so easily.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Reply to topic