Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:30 pm 

Listening to Demolition Hammer and its closing in on death metal intensity. Hell, more intense than some DM. Another band I've heard that seemed to fit in more on the extreme end of thrash was Morbid Saint. Saw them live and it was just crushing and intense. Early Kreator would probably fall in this group. Any other killer examples? Less well known stuff for example.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:45 pm 

Massacra - Enjoy the Violence

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 pm 

Devastation is another band in the same vein as Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint. I would suggest checking out their last album Idolatry.

For newer bands, there are a few I'd suggest. Sadistic Ritual is one I tend to recommend a lot:

The new Enforced album is a hybrid of death, thrash, and crossover that slots in well with bands like Demolition Hammer.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:32 pm 

aw man, where to start? Canada's Aggression was right up there near the top of the heap in terms of brutality and, well, aggression, but they never got very well known outside of the Quebec scene. Possessed and the first couple Sepultura albums are right up there but everyone knows these bands; it's a tossup whether to even call Possessed "Death Metal" or not as they were right on the edge. Schizo from Italy, or some of the German stuff like Protector are good examples too.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:37 pm 

*Gammacide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYQs_nnEHjE

*Hypnosia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_STwIDq5nTE

*Hammer Witch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exMXzh-Lb1E

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:40 pm 

The Chilean thrash scene has a few of these sorts of bands as well:

Ripper:

Critical Defiance:

Schizophrenia from Belgium put out a pretty damn good EP in this style last year as well.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Listening to Demolition Hammer and its closing in on death metal intensity. Hell, more intense than some DM. Another band I've heard that seemed to fit in more on the extreme end of thrash was Morbid Saint. Saw them live and it was just crushing and intense. Early Kreator would probably fall in this group. Any other killer examples? Less well known stuff for example.

You've named basically every band in the genre I think of when someone mentions high intensity, aggressive and brutal thrash metal, except for one. Whenever I'm in the mood for some Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint, I usually spin this album too:

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:55 pm 

Fuck yeah, that first Sadus album utterly frickin' slays. They released it twice, the second time on Roadrunner with a different cover and title, but either way it is by far their best stuff. The version shown above is their original demo/indie release.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:01 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Fuck yeah, that first Sadus album utterly frickin' slays. They released it twice, the second time on Roadrunner with a different cover and title, but either way it is by far their best stuff. The version shown above is their original demo/indie release.

Yes, I forgot to mention that detail. If you look them up on Spotify, you'll find this album under the title Chemical Exposure with a yellow and black cover with red typography. It's a solid album!

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:02 pm 

Possessed should be number one on every list as "Seven Churches" was just so off the wall brutal for 1985 that it became a signpost for a new direction.

I'd like to throw in the Bay area's Epidemic on the strength of their Decameron lp. For pure velocity, they were faster than a lot of HC bands and their riffing and production wasn't typical of the "Bay Crunch" sound that was long tired and old by the early 90s.

BBEdrummerAK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:20 pm 

Since you all named any other grand example, one other band that came to mind was Dew Scented. Definitely straddled that line at times!

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:51 pm 

BBEdrummerAK wrote:
Since you all named any other grand example, one other band that came to mind was Dew Scented. Definitely straddled that line at times!

Yeah, these threads mostly mention the classic bands, rightfully so, but I liked some later interpretations of 'brutal' thrash too. Dew-Scented's mid era was good stuff (my favourite was Inwards.)

I also liked Terror 2000's first, Slaughterhouse Supremacy. Not the raw almost DM heavy of something like Demolition Hammer, but rather relentlessly fast and spitting. And Ebony Tears released a weird one in their final: Evil As Hell. A very brutal, monochromatic and chunky album that is as much some kind of groovy thrash as their melodic DM. Reminds me of Demolition Hammer in feel though I wouldn't go so far as to say they sound much alike.
These aren't popular albums around here but I think they rip.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 pm 

Check out this newer Canadian band. Hard thrash, crossing into death metal. I think you'll dig it!

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:46 pm 

Genuinely surprised I'm the first to say Num Skull, Incubus, and King's-Evil.

orphy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:55 pm 

I'll second the Detherous recommendation, nice young fellas from Calgary!

Another Canadian band that shouldn't be missed are Besieged from Winnipeg. Very obvious Sepultura influence, and it rips hard.

Death Mantra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 am 

Terror Squad's debut is probably worth giving a shot.

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:28 am 

Speaking of Squads...

Album playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nOnI0b_wdApaPPwKeOhCocFzdd2muhULo

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:49 am 

Find me a more brutal thrash tune from 1987 and I'll eat my own shit.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:06 am 

Damn there's some good ones mentioned already. I have a few:

Blood Tsunami - Their first two albums are aggressive black/thrash
Dew-Scented - Probably Intermination, Incinerate and Impact are the albums I go to
Deathstorm - Thei last two albums are great. Reminds me of late 80's early 90's Kreator
Truth Corroded - Their last four albums are worth a listen
Warfect - I have their last three albums and each one sounds awesome

I have to second whoever mentioned Enforced. Their latest will definitely end up on my AOTY list.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:48 am 

Invocator - Excursion Demise has some tech and death leanings and is great.
Razor - Violent Restitution is a ferocious classic.
Whiplash - Ticket To Mayhem is pretty aggressive.

Maybe too obvious, but "well-known" in thrash is such a loose term, and if we're mentioning stuff like Kreator and Possessed, we might as well toss in bands like Dark Angel and Revocation, and maybe Sarcofago. Heck, sometimes Death's Scream Bloody Gore gets so much credit as arguably the first album to cross the death metal line (if you don't count Possessed as quite doing so) that it gets overlooked as a pretty savage thrash album.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:54 am 

Holy Moses are a well known name, but they tend to be fairly overlooked when it comes to extremity. Their album Finished with the Dogs has some bonkers songs and some of the most insane vocals of the whole genre

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:05 am 

Not exactly my favourite thing in the world (I like my thrash spazzy and frenzied whereas brutal thrash is more pummelling and tight), but I've got a couple which haven't come up.

Hellwitch - Definitely tech thrash so not really a beatdown band, but it's insanel violent.

Inquisitor's Walpurgis - Sabbath of Lust is relentlessly savage, too a fault since it's so long, but it's really really violent stuff.

Cryptic Slaugher's crossover style is certainly pissed off as fuck and not slouching on the violence for mid 80's.

Energetic Krusher isn't a great band, but they were doing what could only be called brutal thrash before the turn of the 90's. Black Shepherd's Immortal Aggression is another one in this not-very-great-but-chronologically-ahead-of-its-time bracket.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:34 am 

I tried to check if these have been mentioned but am hungover so sorry if I doubledip

Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy
Arachnid - Arachnid
Num Skull - Ritually Abused
Ritual Carnage - Every Nerve Alive
Chemical Breath - Fatal Exposure

Some absolute rippers here

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:51 am 

I may have recommended these before...

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:11 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Maybe too obvious, but "well-known" in thrash is such a loose term, and if we're mentioning stuff like Kreator and Possessed, we might as well toss in bands like Dark Angel and Revocation, and maybe Sarcofago. Heck, sometimes Death's Scream Bloody Gore gets so much credit as arguably the first album to cross the death metal line (if you don't count Possessed as quite doing so) that it gets overlooked as a pretty savage thrash album.

i think cannibal corpse's debut could easily belong in this thread as well

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 am 

Like others have mentioned, going for death/thrash bands that lean more to the thrash side is what you need.

My own list would include:
Gammacide
Num Skull
Slaughter
Schizophrenia
Warfect
Enforced
Ripper

Newer Warbringer is also pretty savage.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:35 am 

Solstice is also pretty brutal for thrash. Pretty sure they were influenced by the Florida death metal bands and Rob Barret used to be a guitarist for them.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:46 am 

oogboog wrote:
Solstice is also pretty brutal for thrash. Pretty sure they were influenced by the Florida death metal bands and Rob Barret used to be a guitarist for them.

Didn't he also do vocals, at least on the first album?

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 am 

Damn a lot of recommendations in here. I'll have to start digging through these. :metal:

I've heard Dew Scented but maybe it was a more mellow track.

Possessed I should throw in this category, despite usually calling it death metal since that early proto Death Metal was probably as much thrash as its own thing.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:36 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Devastation is another band in the same vein as Demolition Hammer and Morbid Saint. I would suggest checking out their last album Idolatry.

That is some devastating shit. Band name fits.

worlock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:27 pm 

Mortal Scepter are another good newer band going for the early Kreator and Massacra sound.

Also going by Demolition Hammer and them having somewhat of a NYHC influence, how about the more pissed off side of crossover? At least Foreseen comes to mind from the more "brutal" crossover bands.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:06 pm 

Try Mutilator from Brazil and Necrodeath from Italy.

Sevatar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:40 pm 

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Morbid Saint yet, Spectrum of Death is a masterpiece of this style (IMO):

(edit: Just now realizing that someone did mention them, my bad)

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:08 pm 

Don't sleep on Dekapitator!!

Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:11 pm 

Protector should have been the first mentioned band, they along with Morbid Saint, are pretty much the definition of "brutal" thrash metal.
Also, not exactly brutal, but Znöwhite's Act of god might be one of the heaviest thrash metal albums out there.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:44 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Also, not exactly brutal, but Znöwhite's Act of god might be one of the heaviest thrash metal albums out there.

That's a criminally underrated album, but what makes you say that?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:50 pm 

CrudeNoiseMonger wrote:
Possessed should be number one on every list as "Seven Churches" was just so off the wall brutal for 1985 that it became a signpost for a new direction.

I'd like to throw in the Bay area's Epidemic on the strength of their Decameron lp. For pure velocity, they were faster than a lot of HC bands and their riffing and production wasn't typical of the "Bay Crunch" sound that was long tired and old by the early 90s.

Wow, Epidemic- I'm surprised someone actually remembers that band. I used to love those guys; they were from Palo Alto (I think Eric the guitarist used to work at the Stanford University Bookstore) and they played shows opening for touring out of town thrash and death metal bands all the time. They absolutely killed it live, and their 1989 and 1991 demos were at the top of my playlist for a while. Yeah, they were ripping fast and super heavy, like "Reign in Blood" era Slayer at their fastest and angriest.

I don't know if that Znowhite album is one of the "heaviest" albums out there, it just sounded like Metallica or Testament with female singer to me. Not that it isn't a good album, but I wouldnt say it qualifies as particularly "Brutal" in comparison with other thrash at the time.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:24 pm 

I would say it's unusually bassy for a thrash album, but that doesn't inherently translate into heaviness in their case, unless there's something else blackmantram is picking up on.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:00 am 

I just find it pretty intense and relentless but I agree it's not exactly what I'd call "brutal", my definition of heaviness varies from genre to genre and when it comes to thrash/speed the more oppressive, the heavier for me, also, I don't see how Act of God is just "metallica with female vocals" at all, that's gotta be the most inaccurate description for an album I've ever read.

Don Karlos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:54 am 

My favorit Band from the more intense end of the spectrum, In Malice's Wake.
They are avoiding really well not make it monotonous while keeping instrumentals interesting.
Last 3 records are real asskickers.
They have whole their katalog on their YT-channel

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next