Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:11 am 

I've spent a 15-ish year career with a fair chunk of it worshiping "Epidemic of Violence," which I still think is brutal-er than anything I've ever heard out of the death metal genre.

To be honest- here's the sad answer for you

Nothing else in the style is as brutal as that album. Idolatry or something is cool, but can't measure at the end of the day. Spectrum of death has a great vocal but falls short instrumentally. Stuff like Num Skull "Ritually Abused" or stuff have the brutality but not the songwriting prowess.

Basically, if you want something else to really scratch that "Skull Fracturing Nightmare" itch, it doesn't fully exist

Floodland
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 am 

If we're talking about sheer heaviness of sound and gritty-as-fuck guitar sound, nothing I've listened to in more than 3 decades, comes even close to the sound of Sabbat's Dreamweaver. Nothing.

totalthrash
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:45 pm 

Egzekuthor - Hateful Subsconsciousness

Obscure Polish Thrash, just go buy the cd and thank me later.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:48 pm 

Last FM

FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:52 pm 

I was very happy to see some people mention Incubus, Num Skull, Ripper, Pentagram (Chile), Epidemic and some others. I would also mention Gammacide “Victims Of Science”, and if you like old Sadus, Hypnosia “Extreme Hatred” is the next best thing.

But the one post above is right in that there are no other bands quite as good as DH, or who can write a song as intense as ‘Skull Fracturing Nightmare’.

JimbolikesPizza
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 pm 

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:20 pm 

No bands from the Norwegian thrash scene have been mentioned yet, but there are many who fit the brutal thrash description. Condor and Nekromantheon are some of my favorites.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:20 am 

This is my kind of thread!

Anyways, one album that I did not see mentioned by anyone (yet) is Overthrow - Within Suffering. Obscure Canadian thrash metal that would appeal to fans of Demolition Hammer.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:30 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
No bands from the Norwegian thrash scene have been mentioned yet, but there are many who fit the brutal thrash description. Condor and Nekromantheon are some of my favorites.

Sepulcher and Inculter are also pretty cool.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:56 am 

Damn I forgot these guys. Expulsion from the Netherlands. I spun their Wasteworld CD for ages. I found it to be intense and aggressive.

https://youtu.be/tVJCWgmOcNg

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:42 am 

Creating a brutal thrash list on YouTube so I can listen to all this thrash and figure out what I need to start tracking down.

Condor - Unstoppable Power playing now. :headbang:

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:40 am 

JimbolikesPizza wrote:

This absolutely rocked my socks when it came out. Just early Sarcofago/Sepultura with decent production and an intensity that's pretty unmatched since.
The main guy from the band used to post here (I think this forum?) and was totally nutty, which was a bonus.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:20 pm 

Maybe Sodom's Tapping the Vein could be tossed in here.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:00 pm 

Deucalion wrote:
Maybe Sodom's Tapping the Vein could be tossed in here.

Absolutely! Almost as good as Persecution Mania and better than Agent Orange imo :headbang:

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:59 am 

Turner wrote:
JimbolikesPizza wrote:

This absolutely rocked my socks when it came out. Just early Sarcofago/Sepultura with decent production and an intensity that's pretty unmatched since.
The main guy from the band used to post here (I think this forum?) and was totally nutty, which was a bonus.

Classic Repka artwork too.

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:20 am 

Turner wrote:
JimbolikesPizza wrote:

He posted a lot on Metal Rules, not so sure if here too.

On topic, didn't see any mention of Legion of the Damned and their previous incarnation, Occult.

Pretty heavy sounding although mostly mid-paced is In Tyrannos first album, if you don't mind German language and Illuminati/Freemason conspiracy lyrics.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 am 

All the best ones are already mentioned, but I always spin Ripping Corpse's full length along with my favourite brutal thrash classics. Check it out:

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 am 

firelord_ wrote:
All the best ones are already mentioned, but I always spin Ripping Corpse's full length along with my favourite brutal thrash classics. Check it out:

Nice. This has that oppressive pummeling feel to it.

Vaseline1980
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:38 pm 

The first Exhorder album mentioned already? Production-wise a bit iffy due to the horrible drum sound, but that one's got vitriol oozing everywhere.
Messiah from Switzerland, Messina (Holland), Canada's Slaughter, Legion of Death (US), Killjoy from Necrophagia had a band called Cabal that released a good banger called "Midian" in that style, my fellow country-men of Incinerate are worth your time if you like Demolition Hammer. Demented Ted and Raped Ape had good releases, as well as ridiculous band names. A band called Dementia had a great album called "Recuperate from Reality", mostly mid tempo but they sounded heavy. Spain's Estigia had a cool album called "Insubmission" in 1990. A band called Mutilation that released an album on JL America records, also home to Nokturnel and their "Nothing but Hatred" album, a must for those into early Sadus. Dead Orchestra, Infamous Sinphony, early Dead Horse, Parricide (US), Dead Head from Holland (again)...

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:56 pm 

I would go with the Hobbs' Angel of Death debut album for brutal thrash (legendary Australian band), plus Sarcofago - The Laws of Scourge and Mortification self-titled from 1991.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:27 am 

Turner wrote:
JimbolikesPizza wrote:

Like was pointed out, you're thinking of MR, Turner. I remember the guy as well. He seemed normal initially (as far as I remember), but by the time the band came around, he turned weird.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:45 am 

Defleshed and Witchery.

ekasel88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 6:14 pm 

Kremator - Below the Line 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0aAum1NYEk

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2