Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 pm 

Just finished checking out their stuff recently see and i thought it was brilliant. Your thoughts?

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:10 pm 

Probably the best of the old LLN French scene, though that isn't saying much - for me at least, since I think most of that scene was complete garbage. Though the Belketre EP that was released in 2015 is actually pretty solid.

Mutiilation is hit and miss for me. Some good songs/riffs and some that's just annoying. Maybe I gotta dig deeper. I do really like the riffs in Magical Shadows Of A Tragic Past though, and Sorrow Galaxies overall is a good record. Maybe the rest will come around in time.

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 pm 

Great band, especially the first two albums.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:02 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIy4Ve8YEh8&t=600s

This is the sickest, fuzzed out guitar sound EVER, even though the guitar is slightly out of tune. I wish more bands sounded like this, actually. Even still, the music was hit or miss for me, sometimes really good, sometimes just okay.
And yeah, physical copies of their stuff are pretty rare.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:34 am 

I’ve always really loved Mutiilation, was a big fan of Vampires of Black Imperial Blood and Remains of a Ruined Dead Cursed Soul. Also really dig the rest but I need to sit down and revisit them.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:06 am 

Very underrated French BM band. "Vampires of Black Imperial Blood" is a classic.

Also, can't forget about this one :lol:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:23 am 

I've only heard Vampires of Black Imperial Blood and it's pretty good. Runs on a bit too long and gets repetitive because of it but otherwise no real complaints. Probably the 2nd best LLN I've heard behind Vlad Tepes.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:18 am 

Great band, certainly among the best to emerge from that scene. Willy always had a personal approach to songwriting, and his bizarrely elegant melodicism somehow fits well with the raw as hell recording instead of clashing against it.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:36 am 

Good responses so far, yeah was an idea i had to start a Mutiilation appreciation thread, yeah all are pretty decent albums but id say the standouts for me are Black Millenium, Rattenkonig and Sorrow Galaxies, the first album hasnt the best production and usually i am scared off by unclear sound but i even thought the debut was great really, theres enough clear parts of the music to enjoy

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:38 am 

How would you say his former band Hell Militia rank in comparison to mutiilation? I also tried the album he released under his stage Name Meyhnach, very different to mutiilation, maybe a bit too experimental for me

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am 

Good band...

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:52 pm 

Vampires was too minimal and thin to be heavy. But Remains of a Ruined Dead Cursed Soul, goddamn that album sounds like a black metal should! There is no more morbid perfection than “Through the Funeral Maelstrom”. All the negativity and depressive atmosphere, and yet there is still strength in it.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 pm 

Pretty large fan of the first couple of full-lengths. Can't really do the rest though--somehow the magic isn't present for me there.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:44 pm 

It's way too goofy for me

Then again, I love Moonblood, so I can't say shit

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:18 am 

I vaguely remember checking it out at some point and not being very impressed. Can't remember what album I was listening to. Perhaps it's time for another try.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:45 am 

When it gets too primitive and lo-fi, I’m not really a fan. Although “destroy your life for satan” is a pretty good song, extreme, but does “less is more,” with a riff that’s catchier than it should be. I only checked out various songs, on YouTube, so maybe I should give it another chance. “No mercy for humans” is great songwriting.

I agree with the comment, about the guitar being out of tune, and sounding good. I think subtle stuff like that, and the humorous visual art, puts it a step above most of the black legions.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:52 am 

Somewhat off-topic, but I wasn't aware that Drakkar had reissued so much LLN material! I was repurchasing some Vlad Tepes stuff the other day, and had the chance to peruse the Drakkar catalogue. I saw CDs (and other formats) of Black Murder, Vermyapre Kommando, Seviss, Dzlvarv... I haven't listened to any of these, hadn't even heard of a few of them, but may have to look into them.

What else am I missing in the way of LLN reissues?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:00 pm 

A lot of the Mutiilation/Belketre/Vlad Tepes affiliated bands were somewhat interesting in an experimental way, but like all experiments- some were hit or miss, and some of the "misses" might have worked if they had taken more time and worked out the ideas a bit more. And I think most of them were more in the way of one-off studio projects than real bands.

Like that studio project of theirs that had the skronking cello and the burping and belching noises- I can't remember the name (it was one of those "string a bunch of random consonants together to come up with a band name" deals) but if they'd taken that basic concept and worked it a bit more; made it more structured, perhaps- it could have potentially been a very interesting dark-ambient piece. And I've listened to a few others- Norxvgorobtre for example, that had the potential to be really great black/death metal- had they taken the time to do a full length album. That band had the dissonant chords of Voivod mixed with the crushing heavy riffs of late-80s death metal and an overall black metal vibe- could have been really interesting if they'd stuck it out to make a real album.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 am 

I never really got around to checking out any of the LLN related stuff, this thread makes me a bit more interested in rectifying that.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:18 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIy4Ve8YEh8&t=600s

This is the sickest, fuzzed out guitar sound EVER, even though the guitar is slightly out of tune. I wish more bands sounded like this, actually. Even still, the music was hit or miss for me, sometimes really good, sometimes just okay.
And yeah, physical copies of their stuff are pretty rare.

From 11 minutes the vocal line sounds A LOT like "Buried by Time and Dust" by Mayhem.

BlueTransparency
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:54 pm 

One of my favorite bands.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 pm 

Ive just listened to all three Hell Militia albums, they were basically Meyhnach’s full band, killer vocals, cant quite decide how they rank amongst his Mutiilation stuff though

Maggot penetration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:58 pm 

Completely overrated and doesn't do it for me. I like some really shitty, sloppy crap, sometimes the shittier the better, so I'm far from a snob, and have been listening to bm and the stuff that influenced it from the start but this band just does nothing for me. Too little impact. Just look at the try hard song and album titles and this is what the music sounds like, too. It's an early example of silly black metal for me and pretty embarrassing.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:26 pm 

Ahhhh, Mutiilation - the trve poser filter band. If you can sit through Vampires of Black Imperial Blood without gagging, you're ready for anything. Their first few releases (plus Destroy Your Life for Satan) are essential for fans of black metal's primitive, raw side. After that I find there's relitively little worth really discussing, particularly once Meyhna'ch started using a drum machine.

Still, I'd say they're on of the better (if not the best) LLN band.

Reply to topic