Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlueTransparency
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:56 pm 

I prefer bands that have an unnerving atmosphere, can you guys recommend any bands that have really unhinged, insane sounding vocals?

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:11 pm 

Early Kataklysm (circa 1993-1996) fits the bill. The vocalist is Sylvain Houde from 'The Mystical Gate of Reincarnation' (EP) and 'Sorcery' thru 'The Temple of Knowledge'. "Unhinged" definitely sums up his performance and you can find all 3 of these classics in one set if cds are your thing.

Last edited by Gemini 7 Rising on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:14 pm 

Sarcafago's 'INRI' is another, as well as Mystifier's 'Göetia' and follow-up 'The World Is So Good That Who Made It Doesn't Live Here'

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:16 pm 

Varg Vikernes from s/t to "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" had some really degrading vocals. Xasthur's vocals are also very terrifying.

Check out my reviews

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 pm 

Coming here off the back of the Revenge thread, James Read's vocals in Revenge and Conqueror usually sound pretty fuckin unhinged (despite him double tracking in both a low and high octave).
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:14 pm 

Rainer Landfermann wins.

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:46 pm 

Some that come to mind:

Necrophagia's "Holocausto de la Morte" (1998), they may not be the most unhinged of them all, but comparing them to "Season of the Dead" from '87, they are a huge leap.

In a similar way, in Impetigo's "Ultimo Mondo Cannibale" (1990), but to me they sound a bit more humorous compared to HdlM.

Most grindcore bands have these type of vocals, for example, Pig Destroyer's "Prowler in the Yard", Discordance Axis's "The Inalienable Dreamless", and even though they are not on the archives, Anal Cunt's on almost everything they released.

Silencer's, even though some may find them funny, at least they're unhinged in some way.

And lastly, Most of Maniac Butcher's, specially "Černá Krev".

There probably are many more I can't remember right now, and I necessarily wouldn't call this "the best", but are the ones that comes to mind when I think of "unhinged" vocals.

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 pm 

My first choice is a metalcore band that isn't on this site. Damn!

Well, Silencer is probably the most weird as shit metal band I've heard when it comes to vocals but frankly they're more of a joke. This is hard for me because I generally don't find metal vocals to sound terribly unhinged, harsh vocalists in genres like DM and BM usually are too inhuman to truly give off that feeling. They're monstrous, but not really unhinged. That's just me, though.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:21 pm 

Going in another direction, Sean Killian from Vio-Lence has some of the more unique vocals in thrash. Whether they are truly unhinged is probably down to opinion, but his performance especially on that first record is memorable.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

DungeonShade
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:59 pm 

Lifelover may suit your needs.

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:51 pm 

Lord Worm's delivery on BMF and NSV is up there in this category for me, he sounds both demented and perverse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkNbTS7uhLE

A singer I feel is sadly underrated is Dino Sommese, he's never shied away from pouring all his anguish in the most extreme ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agjf_QK4I9o

Also check Max's performance on Worship's demos. He sounds profoundly sad and angry, even in a way that goes beyond what one'd expect from the standards of the genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Leu5jqXGAo

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 am 

First thing I thought of was Anaal Nathrakh.

Is this what you mean by "unhinged"?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:14 am 

Pig Destroyer and Converge - can't go wrong with that kind of maniac shit.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:19 am 

I always think of that "Full moon...Sorceraaaaaaay" guy, from whatever band that is (Can't remember the name) when I think of threads like this. The band, quite frankly, isn't very good, but that vocalist is da bomb!

Yeah, for an old school thrash band, Sean Killian had some pretty unique sounding vocals. That's part of why I liked them way back when, to tell you the truth.

Some of those old German Poison demos, back when they sounded like a garage band recording on a boom box had some pretty disturbed, fucked up vocals too.

Siletter(Silencer) guy sounds as fucked up as he is alleged to be in real life.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 am 

Almost forgot to mention, check out Sadistik Exekution's The Magus

Rok sounds like an absolute maniac
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:37 am 

Deathhammer's vocalist. Dude sounds downright maniacal, and his performance seems like it's literally painful. I don't know how he keeps it up; it sounds like he has no regard for the integrity of his vocal chords. I know thrash can have some extreme screeches at times, but the guy from Deathhammer takes it to the next level.

Also agreed on Sadistik Exekution. That guy legitimately sounds like he has some screws loose.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:40 am 

praey wrote:
Deathhammer's vocalist. Dude sounds downright maniacal, and his performance seems like it's literally painful. I don't know how he keeps it up; it sounds like he has no regard for the integrity of his vocal chords. I know thrash can have some extreme screeches at times, but the guy from Deathhammer takes it to the next level.

Also agreed on Sadistik Exekution. That guy legitimately sounds like he has some screws loose.

I remember hearing Deathhammer for the first time and the vocals reminded me of Schmier from Destruction. The random bits where he’ll go into a high falsetto - good shit

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

In_Zane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:55 am 

I always thought Maniacs vocals on ''Wolf's Lair Abyss'' and ''Chimera'' were pretty darn unhinged.

Kinda fits his name too. :D

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:24 am 

In_Zane wrote:
I always thought Maniacs vocals on ''Wolf's Lair Abyss'' and ''Chimera'' were pretty darn unhinged.

Kinda fits his name too. :D

Yeah, Deathcrush also deserves a mention, he sounds like he was set on fire during the recordings! :lol:

Cultes des Ghoules also have a pretty unhinged vocalist that remind me of Attila's crazier perfomances, and Mortuus's vocals on Funeral Mist's Salvation are quite insane even if he uses vocal effects at times

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:31 am 

Cultes des Ghoules and Katharsis.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:57 am 

Bobby Blitz on Years of Decay.

Sounds like a total lunatic.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 am 

i suppose what you consider "unhinged" may vary, but !t.o.o.h.! is pretty up there regardless

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:35 am 

Alexander Nordgaren on Fleurety's "A Darker Shade Of Evil"

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:48 am 

While he may have become a parody (fairly or unfairly), the early Cradle Of Filth records fit this thread. I remember hearing Dani for the first time back in 1999 or 2000 and being kind of stunned that someone could do that with their vocals. Still to this day, I haven't heard anyone that can mimic his style.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:55 am 

Can't believe Khanate has not been mentioned yet, Alan Dubin sounds absolutely deranged.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:08 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Can't believe Khanate has not been mentioned yet, Alan Dubin sounds absolutely deranged.

Burning Witch also fits.

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:46 am 

I think it was a Bethlehem release that for the life of me i can't remember that had the vocalist sounding like something out of a Mexican cartel snuff video. IIRC the band mentioned in an interview that the police were called to the studio once as neighbors thought someone was being tortured to death.

Last edited by CrudeNoiseMonger on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 am 

Aaron Stainthorpe of My Dying Bride on the entire As the Flower Withers album and some earlier stuff like Symphonnaire Empyrium et Spera Infernus is off the chain. I see how he influenced the Ruins of Beverast dude.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:19 am 

CrudeNoiseMonger wrote:
I think it was a Bethlehem release that for the life of my i can't remember that had the vocalist sounding like something out of a Mexican cartel snuff video. IIRC the band mentioned in an interview that the police were called to the studio once as neighbors thought someone was being tortured to death.

Haha, what?? I remember reading about the minor "Satanic panic" they caused in Germany when someone in the band gave a copy of their demo to a kid who apparently then started doing rituals.

Rainer Landfermann was their sickest vocalist. Their second album is a classic of darkness.

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:22 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Space_alligator wrote:

Burning Witch also fits.

Oh man blast from the past. Alan Dubin on those Khanate albums is most definitely unhinged. Amazing vocal performance.

LI_HeavyMetalHistory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:52 am 

Scot Trollan from the Long Island death metal band CROSS FADE comes to mind --

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:05 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
CrudeNoiseMonger wrote:
I think it was a Bethlehem release that for the life of my i can't remember that had the vocalist sounding like something out of a Mexican cartel snuff video. IIRC the band mentioned in an interview that the police were called to the studio once as neighbors thought someone was being tortured to death.

Haha, what?? I remember reading about the minor "Satanic panic" they caused in Germany when someone in the band gave a copy of their demo to a kid who apparently then started doing rituals.

Rainer Landfermann was their sickest vocalist. Their second album is a classic of darkness.

Looked it up and found it quickly on Youtube. Yes it was the album Dictius Te Necare. Of all the sounds i had at the time, the only voice that came remotely close was Maniac on Mayhem's Wolf Lair Abyss. Even that though, wasn't as insane sounding.

~Guest 58624
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm 

May be an odd selection (or may simply be underrated), but Krieg's Destruction Ritual has one of my all-time favorite vocal performances. Just about any track would do, but here's a more-or-less random pick:

Lori Bravo of Nuclear Death deserves a mention as well.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:30 pm 

Alan Dubin and Rainer Landfermann pretty much win this thread. It's not a coincidence that Anaal Nathrakh got both of them as guest vocalists on Passion.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:32 pm 

Gotta mention Fear Of God "Within The Veil". Dawn Crosby is fantastic on that incredible album. So fuckin intense and emotionally charged.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:39 pm 

praey wrote:

Deathhammer- thank you; that was the band I was trying to think of. He does sound a bit like Schmier from Destruction, but he overdoes it a bit, I think. I never really got into the band, but the vocalist is pretty out there.

Nuclear Death's vocals are strange, and their lyrics are over the top nightmarishly disturbing. I've heard all kinds of fucked up rumors about that band, which I don't know if they are true or not.

As for Fear of God, while Dawn Crosby is fantastic, she is a skilled and talented vocalist. When I think of "Unhinged" I think of Erich Keller from the OTHER Fear of God- who incidently I like a lot better.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:46 pm 

Always loved the vocals on this one. Sounds something like Carl Albert possessed by a demon.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:15 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
As for Fear of God, while Dawn Crosby is fantastic, she is a skilled and talented vocalist. When I think of "Unhinged" I think of Erich Keller from the OTHER Fear of God- who incidently I like a lot better.

I don't think you have to be growling and screaming unintelligible gibberish or whatever to come across as mentally unbalanced or deranged, sometimes that works but sometimes it just comes across as being cartoonish or unreal.
"Within The Veil" is a one of a kind work of art, her and the bands masterpiece. When I listen to Dawn on that album I believe her.
The OTHER Fear of God doesn't even come close.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 12:11 am 

I'm sorry

rarezuzuh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:15 am 

Helheim had some pretty insane shrieking on Jormundgand. I haven't heard anything quite like it on a viking/black metal album.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next