* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:19 pm 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Started out as a promising NWOBHM act, became an uninspired hard rock band.

Haven't heard most of the stuff they did after the debut, but I did try their most recent one and it fucking kills. Pure trad metal epic shit.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:36 am 

Empyreal wrote:

Haven't heard most of the stuff they did after the debut, but I did try their most recent one and it fucking kills. Pure trad metal epic shit.

Indeed. Their last two are phenomenal! Pure metal, with stunning songwriting.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:50 am 

Witchcraft - Legend

LOVE this album, but the only other one I grabbed, Nucleus, was must meh and I haven't checked any other albums.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:09 pm 

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake is an awesome album, and the rest of their discography is a serious snoozefest. Jeez.

Converge - Jane Doe is an absolute masterpiece. Definitely overshadows the rest of their discography (which has some okay albums, but none reach JD levels)

Empyrium - Songs of Moors. Great stuff, the rest is boring imo.

Pungent Stench - Been Caught Buttering

Moonspell and Orphaned Land - first two albums are fantastic, the rest are a flop.

SOD - Speak English or Die. Self explanatory.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I'll have to suss them out. I was more so talked about Lightning up to about early 2000's

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:25 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Metallica - Kill Em All
I've just lost interest in this band in general, I still appreciate the classic NWOBHM influences that shine through on this album but

But what about RTL?

Classic album, I just haven't cared to listen to Metallica in general but thought I'd give KEA a shoutout

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:20 am 

Motley Crüe- Shout At The Devil
Cradle of Filth - Dusk And Her Embrace
Mayhem- DMDS

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:10 am 

Illdisposed - Submit
Morgion - Solinari
November's Doom - Amidst its hollow mirth
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:52 am 

Floodland wrote:
Morgion - Solinari
November's Doom - Amidst its hollow mirth

Funny that you mention these. I can't get into any other Novembers Doom stuff (unless you count their demo) and as far as Morgion goes, I think they went downhill quite a bit after their debut. Solinari tries too hard to sound epic and falls flat to me.

Anyway, some of my picks include the following.

Spoiler: show
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon

Not an album that I spin often, but it's great stuff anyway; sort of brings to mind what The Ruins of Beverast would been like in the 90's.

Agatus - Dawn of Martyrdom

Not a fan of their later heavy metal stuff...but this is a decent album that owes quite a bit to early Bathory.

Burzum - Det Som Engang Var

Debut doesn't work for me, despite being quite straightforward in places and their later albums are too ''atmospheric'' for my taste. This one's got a nice balance.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Not very familiar with their later stuff, but never liked what I had tried. This one remains great, although I don't like it as much as some others do.

Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism

I can see why people like their other stuff, but I prefer this epic, Bathory-inspired style.

Lux Occulta - Dionysus

Not very familiar with their later stuff, but this remains a cool again...sort of like a non-Norwegian answer to the aforementioned Emperor album perhaps?

Mystifier - The World Is So Good That Who Made It Doesn't Live Here

Debut and the second album like the songs, but most of the material is great here. Sort of like a Brazilian equivalent to early-mid Root perhaps...and who could forget those fantastic guitar solos?!

Nightfall - Macabre Sunsets

Debut had some decent ideas scattered around, but lacked something....the third album sounds like a mismash of too many ideas, but the band got it right here, resulting into some sort of less-heroic version of early Rotting Christ.

The Ruins of Beverast - Rain upon the Impure

Surrounding albums feature some fine songs here and there, but this is easily the most consistent and focused TRoB record...overwhelmingly dark.

Edge of Sanity - The Spectral Sorrows

Screw Crimson and Purgatory Afterglow...I'd rather listen to the EoS album with an actual edge to it...at times it gets rather melodic, but certainly avoids the sugary Swedeath direction.

October Tide - Rain Without End

Quite possible the best melodic doom/death metal album out there; despite a lack of heaviness, it's rather riff-y. Unfortunately, nothing else of the band sounds as inspiring.

There's plenty of others that I haven't mentioned, but I can't be arsed to mention them all here. :p

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:31 am 

I love A Celebration of Guilt

But can't say I really care for anything else Arsis has done all that much.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 am 

Rush - Moving Pictures
Metal Church - The Dark
A Canorous Quintet - Silence from the world beyond
Blood - Impulse to destroy
Pyogenesis - Waves of Erotasia
Pungent Stench - Dirty rhymes and psychotronic beats

There will be more whenever my memory allows...
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:34 am 

Floodland wrote:
Metal Church - The Dark

Care to elaborate? Also, although it's still metal, I think that Waves of Erotasia is already a step down. Pyogenesis were never a great band, but I enjoy Ignis Creatio from time to time.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:46 am 

colin040 wrote:
Floodland wrote:
Metal Church - The Dark

Care to elaborate? Also, although it's still metal, I think that Waves of Erotasia is already a step down. Pyogenesis were never a great band, but I enjoy Ignis Creatio from time to time.

What do you mean to elaborate? It's the only Metal Church album I really, really liked; it is the darkest, heaviest and finest MC album with outstanding song writing and some unforgettable epic moments. The energy and dynamics of that album are incredible, and the fact that it easily stands the test of time attests like a thousand witnesses to its greatness. The others I can certainly do without.

With Pyogenesis, although I own the debut, I think it enjoys that 'classic obscure metal' aura than it really deserves for its merits, or the lack thereof. The music itself is far from outstanding and leaves much to be desired.
On Waves Of Erotasia, the band truly shines and delivers a unique blend of doom, death and gothic metal of the most atmospheric and original kind. The only downside of that EP is that it is fucking short.

Last edited by Floodland on Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:51 am 

Anthrax's "Spreading The Disease" LP is the only piece of music I like from them.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:59 am 

Floodland wrote:
colin040 wrote:
Floodland wrote:
Metal Church - The Dark

What do you mean to elaborate? It's the only Metal Church album I really, really liked; it is the darkest, heaviest and finest MC album with outstanding song writing and some unforgettable epic moments. The energy and dynamics of that album are incredible, and the fast that it easily stands the test of time attests like a thousand witnesses to its greatness. The others I can certainly do without.

It's not exactly a fast album, but thanks for explaining why you like that Metal Church album best.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:04 pm 

The fact, I meant to say the fact, not the fast...I stand corrected.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4