Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:16 pm 

I loved Zed Yago while I was younger, and today while browsing the m-a mainpage I realized Jutta is putting out another album with VV this friday, their fifth(!) since reuniting in 2017. any fans of Jutta here?

here's some "classic" ZY tunes:

power ballad:

and the newest video from VV:

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:44 am 

Here! Jutta is one of my favorites ever and certainly my favorite female singer (Leather follows). She is the true female Dio as far as I'm concerned, not just for the power and quality of her vocals but also the age!

I consider Zed Yago's Pilgrimage (1989) to be one of the finest heavy metal albums ever recorded and criminally, CRIMINALLY underrated. A treasure for anyone who gives it a listen. From Over Yonder is also excellent (United Pirate Kingdom is a heavy/doom masterpiece).

The Fear of Death belongs in the top ten of my favorite songs ever. Jutta completely steals the show with those achingly beautiful vocal lines. I had given a friend a CD-R(!) with some songs I had in there because he wanted a particular one I can't even remember right now, and it had Fear of Death too. My friend used to listen to metal in his teen years, then drifted to other stuff to land into a funky/reggae place. Anyway, he called me back one day asking me about that "amazing song with the woman singing". More where that came from, truly, I get goosebumps every time I hear her screaming INVENTOR, CREATOR, DESTROYER on The Man Who Stole the Holy Fire. Or when she begins the lyrics on Rose of Martyrdom on top of that hot riff ("is there anyone here..."). She has the pipes, the attitude, the high notes, the grit, the theatrical flair (at the time they used to say the played "dramatic metal").

But her whole career is very much worth the time exploring, including Velvet Viper. I really enjoyed 2018's comeback, Respice Finem, which also features guest solos by Kai Hansen, who produced the album and I very much appreciated that, Jutta and Kai fanboy as I am.

Anyway, Jutta is AWESOME and more people should know her and her music. At least those who appreciate Leather Leone or just plain good heavy metal.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:19 am 

Just chiming in to echo the sentiment that Jutta-era Zed Yago are AWESOME and any heavy metal fan that doesn't know them is seriously at loss!

While not at the level of her Zed Yago work I'll add that her previous band Breslau it's worth a listen: feel good, punky heavy metal in german with her great vocals!

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 am 

Jutta Weinhold definitely needs more recognition. Especially these days. Aspiring female musicians do need a role model like her.

She's also living proof of the fact that voices do not "have to" deteriorate with age. 1974 vs 2019, live. Brilliant all the way.

Jutta's own channel has a mix of tracks by her various projects, not just metal:
https://www.youtube.com/user/juttaweinhold60/videos

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:01 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Here! Jutta is one of my favorites ever and certainly my favorite female singer (Leather follows)...At least those who appreciate Leather Leone or just plain good heavy metal.

One of my goals this year has been to fill out some of the large gaps in my knowledge and experience, particularly of pre-90s metal, and Chastain and Leather's solo work has been one of the most engaging discoveries so far.

I just listened to the latest Velvet Viper album and it wasn't quite clicking for me until the last track "Darkness of Senses", at which point I'm now intrigued to revisit it again soon.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:25 am 

Cool! I'm curious what you think of the classics then, esp. Pilgrimage.

Leather's solo album is extremely underrated too, great album, on par with the Chastain classics imo, In a Dream and The Battlefield of Life, such badass vocals!

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:19 am 

By purce chance I bought Pilgrimage and Shock Waves on vinyl back in the day.
I'm glad I did, especially Pilgrimage.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:43 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Cool! I'm curious what you think of the classics then, esp. Pilgrimage.

Leather's solo album is extremely underrated too, great album, on par with the Chastain classics imo, In a Dream and The Battlefield of Life, such badass vocals!

I have it in my listening cue.

Her second solo album II in '18 is also great. She still has it decades later. The track "Juggernaut" is especially good.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 am 

74 years old today! My parents are 72... (I am 44).

I have been listening to Cosmic Healer (Velvet Viper's last one) a lot these days. It's a fine heavy metal album, Let Metal Be Your Master is pretty great.

Litho, ever got round to listening to Pilgrimage?

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:17 am 

I've always liked her hard rock and metal stuff as a guilty pleasure. The over-the-top vocals and the lyrics can get a bit cringey, especially on the three recent Velvet Viper albums.

My favourite release is probably the lesser-known "From Heaven through the World to Hell" by the project Weinhold. It's heavily influenced by Purple / Whitesnake. Best track: "Rock of Metal". It's like a lost track from Whitesnake's "Slip of the Tongue" with a middle-8 borrowed from Helloween. One of those anthems where everything clicks:

Spoiler: show

Reply to topic