Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:21 am 

Been rediscovering two Vicious Rumors albums; one that I don't hear much about and the other that's a bit controversial.

Soldiers of the Night is a fine-as-hell debut of the band. Yeah, the vocalist doesn't sound as fantastic as Carl, the production is a bit rough and the songwriting feels less refined, but man, when it gets going (RIDE! INTO THE SUN!), it's really good.

Vicious Rumors feels a bit of a lightweight 80s metal album at times, but it still retains enough high-intensity tracks to balance things out.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:18 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
MetalVermont wrote:
To Cosmic_Equilibrium: thanks for those comments on Priest, Maiden, Metallica, and Megadeth, I needed a great laugh. The Priest comment was probably the funniest. They have several albums with 5 or more songs better than Cathedral Spires.

I dunno. Cathedral Spires blows almost every Halford reunion era song away TBH. More importantly I don't think Priest's live prowess in the Owens era can be questioned - they were absolutely on it then in terms of stage performances and intensity in a way they hadn't been since the Defenders tour.

Each to their own on Megadeth, but for my money Youthanasia destroys Rust In Peace on every level - riffs, hooks, songwriting and emotional depth. Rust In Peace is two classic songs, two alright ones and a ton of boring filler with tinny production.

Fair enough, but SO MANY great Priest songs from the 70s . . . maybe you’re not a fan of that era?

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:45 am 

No, I love 70s Priest - my other two songs in the top 3 would be Beyond The Realms Of Death and Dissident Aggressor.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:10 am 

I Know Overkill's Killbox 13 is considered part of the cesspool between Horrorscope and Ironbound, but I really dig it. Thick and bassy sound, plus it can get pretty thrashy at times. The drum performance during "I Rise" is such a treat, messes with my head.

Queen of Siam by Holy Moses gets a fair amount of slag as it lacks the thrash fury of Finished With the Dogs, but I have a soft spot for street-thrash/speed/heavy metal, and the band employs that style in a weird way that I find engaging. "Necropolis" is killer.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:28 am 

Speed Metal Terror wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Sabbath's Eternal Idol has grown on me a lot since I first heard it.

Is that really underappreciated by metalheads though or just radio types? If anything, I'd say Technical Ecstasy or Cross Purposes would fit the bill a bit better.

I think some circles like it, but everything past Mob Rules can sometimes be derided or overlooked really.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:28 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Been rediscovering two Vicious Rumors albums; one that I don't hear much about and the other that's a bit controversial.

I'm waiting for you lot to rediscover Sadistic Symphony. It's a great album in it's own right.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 pm 

Honor Found In Decay is a fantastic Neurosis album. The last 2 tracks are a bit weaker but still good overall, and the first 5 are killer.

Pentagrammaton is a very underrated Enthroned album too. Dark, ominous riffs and some of the best drumming they've ever had.

Handful Of Stars is a stellar Drudkh album and doesn't deserve the hate it got. So what if they went Alcest a little? The songwriting is great.

IX Equilibrium and Prometheus are absolute rippers and Emperor have a flawless discography.

The Serpent & The Sphere is a masterpiece record with arguably the most perfect album production I've ever heard - there are times where I like it more than Marrow. Agalloch did no wrong throughout their entire career.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:04 am 

Some nice picks here, not sure what I have to add but I agree with Load been a great album. Bleeding Me is one of Metallica's best songs imo, and sounded even better with an orchestra. IX Equilibrium is a monster album, always felt it was way underrated.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 pm 

I'm a huge fan of Judas Priest's Turbo. I love good time rock albums and Tubo fits the bill perfectly. The last time it got a positive review here was back in 2013. Seeing how Turbo is treated here always makes me wonder how 1984 would be recveived on MA.

Rock n Roll from Motorhead is another that's a total banger. It's their least reviewed album here and has the 3rd lowest rating out of all the studio albums and it's one of the 80s albums! All for You has one of the super melodic choruses that they started doing on Another Perfect Day wher Lemmy actually tries to sing. I love that shit.

untappd: patrick_g

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
I Know Overkill's Killbox 13 is considered part of the cesspool between Horrorscope and Ironbound, but I really dig it. Thick and bassy sound, plus it can get pretty thrashy at times. The drum performance during "I Rise" is such a treat, messes with my head.

Speaking of Overkill, The Killing Kind is one of the best examples of the mid-90s thrash band gone groove trend in my eyes. Probably because they actually did more to actually explore the style than just ape Pantera and Machine Head. Necroshine has a couple cool songs too.

I don't think it's considered lesser so much as just grouped in with stock late era fare, but Killing the Dragon is my favorite Dio album. Doug Aldrich was the most energetic guitarist the band ever had and the songwriting channels that eighties spirit without any of the commercial pressure bullshit. Push would've been a single back in the day but it isn't near as force sounding as something like Mystery or Hungry for Heaven.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:20 pm 

I used to be very much an Abigor fan only up to and including Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom), but have since begun to revisit their last few releases and have learned to really appreciate them. My interest was sparked by dusting off my copy of Channeling the Quintessence of Satan, which at the time of purchase was the album that made me lose interest in the band, and promptly began to wonder what they've been up to. I still have some listening to do, but I'm beginning to think I'll be able to appreciate at least something in all of their releases, even if the early aforementioned period of the band will always be a gigantic step above the rest.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:50 pm 

Reflections, by Convulse, isn't talked about as much as their debut album. However, I think this is one of the rare occasions where death 'n' roll actually works for me. Something about it appeals to me more than the debut, and I have no idea what it is.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm 

It took some time for me to digest The X Factor, but when I did, it was everlasting pleasure...I remember that album being super boring as hell, but then it suddenly clicked, and I was hooked. I took some time to click though, but when it did - it was a complete takeover! To this day I still consider that album one of top 3 Iron Maiden's releases (alongside Seventh Son...and Killers).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:38 pm 

Opus wrote:
colin040 wrote:

I'm waiting for you lot to rediscover Sadistic Symphony. It's a great album in it's own right.

I've only sampled some songs from that album and wasn't exactly convinced by what I've heard.

Rico McPato
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:23 pm 

Chapter VI by Candlemass. It has good reviews, but also seems kind of forgotten. Slightly different sound, and it gives me some Tony Martin era Sabbath vibes. Very good album with some great songs like The Dying Illusion.

Thy Shrine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:19 pm 

Just hear to say that X Factor is one of Iron Maidens 4 best albums tied with Piece of Mind, Seventh Son, and Somewhere in time, and I will stand by that opinion till the day I die

Theres just so much raw emotion on that album and I like hearing IM be moody and more real in that context, I mean maybe it is a different type of enjoyment than my other 3 favorites because it's a much more visceral enjoyment and one that has a lot more to do with personal feelings than the others, the others definitely have an emotional and sentimental feeling that I pick up on but X Factor is the album for when you really just aren't satisfied with life.

And it's a fucking remarkable piece of music, and I'll never understand people's Lukewarm reactions to it.

Perhaps.

oxwah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 am 

Morbid Angel's Heretic has been my favorite album of theirs since its release, even with the weird tracklist and shit production. It hits a sweet spot between groove and brutality that I really enjoy. I think it would benefit greatly from a remix and cropped tracklist. Bring back the bass (funny how the bass gets less prominent with each album in the original Steve Tucker run), clean up the guitar tone, and change the tracklist to the following, and I think the album would have been MUCH better received:

(pregap) Drum Check
1. Cleansed in Pestilence
2. Enshrined by Grace
3. Beneath the Hollow
4. Curse the Flesh
5. Praise the Strength
6. Stricken Arise
7. God of Our Own Divinity
8. Within Thy Enemy
9. Born Again

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2