* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:32 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
InnesI wrote:
The notion that black metal has to have satanic philosophy to be black metal is the stupidest argument from a time when the genre rules were set by a Norwegian teen/young adult who was obviously the weird kid on the block (and then others took after him like Morgan).

I think you're a bit confused, there's no argument here. It is what it is. Black metal is satanic metal. You can't change facts. The genre rules might have been reset in the modern sense by Euronymous and Co, but they were already in play throughout the 80's and we all know Venom defined it in '82 to begin with.

So you don't think Drudkh, for example, is a black metal band?

snarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:34 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
InnesI wrote:
The notion that black metal has to have satanic philosophy to be black metal is the stupidest argument from a time when the genre rules were set by a Norwegian teen/young adult who was obviously the weird kid on the block (and then others took after him like Morgan).

I think you're a bit confused, there's no argument here. It is what it is. Black metal is satanic metal. You can't change facts. The genre rules might have been reset in the modern sense by Euronymous and Co, but they were already in play throughout the 80's and we all know Venom defined it in '82 to begin with.

No question, Black Metal is and should be only Satanic. Create other sub-genres for those bands that don't fit.

The way I see it, Mgla is the best Turquoise Blue Metal and Agalloch is the epitome Mahogany Red Metal.

Plenty of colours out there.

2021 version in progress:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5XCnD ... 0P4ggu4BXA

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am 

Isn't this the guy who thinks Venom is the only "real" black metal band?

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
InnesI wrote:

We've debated this before haven't we? I think black metal is a certain sound not a specific lyrical content. I think music can easily be black metal without having anything satanic attached to it. I think Wolves in the Throne Room, Burzum, Reverorum ib Malacht, Immortal, Negura Bunget, Panopticon and all of the other band [who have no satanism attached to it] are still black metal. But to me the label doesn't matter. You can call it whatever else you want but sonically I group these bands together with those who do have satanic imagery (like Marduk, Dark Funeral, Dissection, Gorgoroth etc). And to be honest most, if not all, genres are based on their sonic qualities not the lyrical topics.

snarg wrote:
No question, Black Metal is and should be only Satanic. Create other sub-genres for those bands that don't fit.

The way I see it, Mgla is the best Turquoise Blue Metal and Agalloch is the epitome Mahogany Red Metal.

I prefer sky blue metal myself.
Metal Archives resident goat fucker. Since adopting the name InnesI online I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, neoliberal, boot licker and verbal masturbator! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am 

Ghost are the only real black metal band around today. I mean, they are satanic after all.

snarg wrote:

Hoth are Dagoba green metal.

Immortal? A kinda light grey I think? A couple shades lighter than confederate grey metal? Maybe slightly speckled too?

Wayfarer are some shade of brown metal. Maybe something close to tree bark shade metal?

Spoiler: show
I couldn't seriously imagine anyone insisting non-satanic bands aren't black metal a week ago. Yet, here we are. Some of you need to go outside or something, Jesus.

yungstirjoey666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:15 pm 

I think some other metal subgenres have gradually lost relevance to what they originally mainly focused on. These days there isn't much politics in thrash metal, not much blood and gore in death metal, and perhaps there isn't much sadness in doom metal. The only metal subgenre that remained true to the traditional lyrical theme is power metal; many bands these days still sing about fantasy/mythology.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:21 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
not much blood and gore in death metal

What?

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:40 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
doomicus wrote:
Satan and blasphemy is fun as fuck. It's relevant regardless of the subgenre of metal.

I remember being 12 once

Glad your memory still works. Congrats.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:12 pm 

Kutulu wrote:
Morgan Steinmeyer Hakansson wrote:
Black metal is about having a satanic philosophy; if you don't, then it's not black metal.

K, then what the fuck is Frontschwien and Viktoria?
Glen Benton had a Bigfoot sighting in Florida

This has been debunked. He actually just saw Erik Rutan.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:18 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Kutulu wrote:
Black metal is about having a satanic philosophy; if you don't, then it's not black metal.

Das Feldgraumetallmuskien :D

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:48 pm 

I don't think black metal HAS to be satanic per se, but it certainly can't be anti-satanic.

You will have tough time trying to convince someone that Immortal, Paysage d'Hiver, Nocternity or the countless nature-themed OR NSBM bands are somehow not black metal.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:26 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Kutulu wrote:

According to someone's view - I forgot who it was, might've been Mortuus - black metal is three things: satan, blood, and war. The first and last are obvious, and blood alludes to vampiric themes, ritual, etc. Frontschwein, Panzer Division Marduk, etc. are of course war.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
I don't think black metal HAS to be satanic per se, but it certainly can't be anti-satanic.

Lmao yes it can. Plenty of christian black metal bands.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:39 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

Wrong. XD That crap is called white metal or unblack metal.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm 

Osore wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

Wrong. XD That crap is called white metal or unblack metal.

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:13 pm 

Because they can’t think of anything interesting, and, their perspective is still that which they had in high school, and they are desperate for attention/to fit in, with the scene, or genre. Doesn’t mean every band with satanic lyrics is like this. Their are some great bands, but if they have great lyrics, they’ll probably add something original to it.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:15 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

I wouldn't count them as such. Just like I would not count a far-left band NSBM just because it sounds like Absurd.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:15 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Vampires don't sleep at night.
(Edit: This is obviously self-irony directed to my goth self.)

Seriously, BM is traditionally transgressive form of art, and unless you live in a muslim country, white metal doesn't ring a bell (they hunt anti-muslim BM bands by default). Satanic music is very much relevant in my part of Europe. What about that bible belt in the US? Plenty of people to shock. That's the appeal of BM when you are a teen - it's empowering, fast, loud, scary... As long as there is the audience, there will be bands who play for them. I still listen to satanic music, but as an anti-religious person, I tend to ignore lyrics, unless it's the type of poetry I like (still waiting for it).

Last edited by Osore on Tue May 11, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:47 pm 

I think a large part of it has to do with the "traditions" of playing black metal. The makeup, the outfits, the lyrics, the feel, it's all a specific formula that has been (for better or worse) pretty widely followed over the years. Obviously there are plenty of bands that play in the musical style of black metal and don't take up one or any of those things, but I would say the majority do. I think that's part of the charm, honestly. You get to look like Kiss but actually be "Satanic" in your message. It's a win/win if you're into that sort of thing.

Maybe it's the 12 year old in me, but I still enjoy a good "Hail Satan!" now and again. It's fun. I am admittedly much more impressed by bands who discuss other aspects of the occult, mysticism, darkness, etc. At the same time, I think some bands excel at making really intricate, dense lyrical content while others just don't and it doesn't bother me that much. I don't listen to metal for the lyrics anyway. They could be singing about homicidal garden gnomes for all I care, BUT having good lyrical content is of course a very nice icing on the cake. Someone earlier mentioned Averse Sefira, who I've always appreciated for having atypical, interesting lyrics. Viral Kinesis is one of my favorite black metal songs lyrically, easily.

Last edited by SladeCraven on Mon May 10, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 pm 

Osore wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:
Vampires don't sleep at night.

Ok

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 pm 

This thread has taken a rather unexpected (or should I say expected) turn.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 am 

The subject seems to imply that some lyrical topics can go from 'relevant' to 'irrelevant' in black metal. I do not know that to be true, in any metal genre.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 am 

I had a hard time choosing the right term, specially considering I am not a native speaker. I considered using "predominant" but I wasn't sure it was correct.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:34 am 

kalervon wrote:
The subject seems to imply that some lyrical topics can go from 'relevant' to 'irrelevant' in black metal. I do not know that to be true, in any metal genre.

I mean it's not unheard of, in metal or other genres. Some genres and/or subgenres are ideologically loaded, like NSBM, RAC, I guess you could say Riot Grrrl as well. Black metal itself isn't even the most uncompromising thematically.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:55 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
kalervon wrote:

I mean it's not unheard of, in metal or other genres. Some genres and/or subgenres are ideologically loaded, like NSBM, RAC, I guess you could say Riot Grrrl as well. Black metal itself isn't even the most uncompromising thematically.

As for NSMB or RAC its true they are ideological but they really aren't their own genres. NSMB is black metal and RAC is punk. So I guess black metal about satanism could be satanic black metal just like we have pagan black metal and a bunch of other sub-genres. For what it's worth white metal sounds corny as shit but unblack metal sounds pretty cool (which I guess are the same thing). In any case I still think musical genres are usually a description on how it sounds. Then it can be divided into separate subgenres based on lyrics for example.

Can't remember who said it but it was one of the usual suspects (Euronomyous, Eric from Watain or someone like that) who actually claimed black metal was "any music with satanic lyrics". Now that's weird since there wasn't even en emphasis on the music having to be metal. Not sure if it was something that just slipped out of them or if it's what they actually believe.
Metal Archives resident goat fucker. Since adopting the name InnesI online I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, neoliberal, boot licker and verbal masturbator! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:33 am 

Members of Voivod in the early/mid 1980s used to say that black metal was metal with satanic lyrics. I guess it was almost factual back then.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:09 am 

kalervon wrote:
Members of Voivod in the early/mid 1980s used to say that black metal was metal with satanic lyrics. I guess it was almost factual back then.

By that logic Slayer and Deicide would be black metal, though. I don't disagree that black metal, especially then, had an abundance of Satanic lyrics and imagery, but going so far as to say that metal with Satanic lyrics is black metal is just obviously untrue.

Clearly you're not "members of Voivod" so I'm not speaking to you directly as if that is what your opinion is. Just interesting to me that they would say something like that. Someone older than me and/or more familiar with the scene back then, please educate me, was Slayer called "thrash metal" in the 80's? Or is that a term that was given to the genre in retrospect? Because if the latter is the case and thrash wasn't classified as a specific subgenre, their comment would make more sense.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:49 am 

Satanism is fucking boring. Bands doing it these days have to really go the extra mile to interest me. At this point I honestly think Christianity is the real black metal, in the spirit of antagonism, pissing off the status quo and all that. Like ok yeah you're a black metal band doing the anti-Christian thing, ok cool, way to pave new ground. Do something exciting ffs.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 am 

For yet another profound insight into the subject matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkl4Yeh-BTo

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:17 pm 

Turner wrote:
Satanism is fucking boring. Bands doing it these days have to really go the extra mile to interest me. At this point I honestly think Christianity is the real black metal, in the spirit of antagonism, pissing off the status quo and all that. Like ok yeah you're a black metal band doing the anti-Christian thing, ok cool, way to pave new ground. Do something exciting ffs.

Based

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:15 pm 

At some point, maybe black metal was synonymous with satanism, but then someone took the sound of black metal, wrapped it in something other than satanism, and that ultimately is what we refer to as black metal - the sound. The genre distanced itself almost immediately from the theme.

Turner wrote:

This is some "Republicans/conservatives have become the punk counter culture" kind of argument right there.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:34 pm 

Petition to rename this thread to "the satanic nuclear hot takes thread".

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:47 pm 

Turner wrote:

Puritanical Christian Black Metal: go to gigs and stand around in the back scowling with your arms crossed, because Enjoyment (and especially Dancing) is the Devyl's Work. Wear corpse paint and big-ass nails on your face and wrists as a form of self-mortification to Be closer to the Lord. Burn down Heathen Religious Dwellings in a Grand Crusade.

Wait... we've come full circle haven't we?

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:09 pm 

Turner wrote:

dog. lol. yeah Christianity is SO NOT MAINSTREAM cause like 1% of people play music about satanism, meanwhile christianity is dominating all cultures in the western world. but yeah man, totally subversive. just like voting for trump and not wearing masks is totally subversive.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:11 pm 

I gave a 1 month ban to TheLoneFest in the name of Santa, of course. Be better, y'all.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:11 pm 

im not saying black metal has to be satanic but its pretty obvious that all the good black metal is made with a certain mindset or philosophy. OFC having that right doesnt mean you can write riffs. You could argue that bands that arent exactly directly satanic are maybe still satanic in a different way. Theres something definitely satanic about anti capitalist anti imperialist lyrics in my opinion as it still tackles major institutions.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:12 pm 

^ this tbh.

be nice meta - he's fake canadian, he can't help it!

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:50 pm 

Turner wrote:

It's an interesting thought. While Satanism surely is antinomian still in every culture (though some don't care all that much) to be antinomian within the black metal culture would be to be Christian or feminist or something along those lines. And we've seen how some bands have really done their best to do something contrarian to "traditional" black metal. We all remember the Liturgy debates which sparked feelings among some. Wolves in the Throne Rooms eco-feminism also bothered a lot of people. I'm sure there's more examples.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:52 pm 

If you're into metal and trying to tell me Root's or Briton Rites' lyrics are childish or unimaginative or whatever then I just don't even want to know you. It's silly to think of Satan based shit as edgy anymore but sometimes it can be really cool as an aesthetic.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:59 pm 

So I think, it's important to keep in mind geographical context in this discussion. If you're making Satanic black metal in NYC or London or something, yeah it's not particularly edgy, but there are places where Satanism continues to be subversive (e.g., Nergal is still getting charged under Poland's blasphemy laws.)

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next