Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jester66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:53 pm 

Saw this a little while ago....I'm a bit perplexed. Scott Rockenfield, mostly silent for a few years, launched a "Queensryche 2021" website this morning.

So I wonder....is this going to be a third version of QR, or maybe some kind of reunion with Tate and there will be just the two? God this shit gets confusing with all these idiot bands doing stuff like this.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/scott ... y-to-rock/

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 pm 

I'll take as many Queensryche's as I can get if they're all going to be on the level of quality as American Soldier

Deathdoom1992
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:28 pm 

Well I mean this ties into the comments a while back where he was basically saying stuff along the lines of QR just moved on without him even tho he never left. I wonder what his end goal with this is - there's no way the band will let him use the QR 2021 moniker, which is something he should know considering he was in the band when Geoff Tate lost his rights to the QR name, and if he wants back into the official version of QR this seems like just about the worst way to go about that end. If he's actually gonna use Queensryche 2021 as an official band name that just feels like a fast track to being sued.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:50 pm 

Rockenfield leaving/getting fired was a major downer, and honestly killed new Queensryche for me. The Wilton/Rockenfield/Jackson rhythm section was one of the most enduring lineups in all of metal, and it sucks that it finally ended.

Quote:
God this shit gets confusing with all these idiot bands doing stuff like this.

Labels and promoters deserve a lot of blame for this. They don't care about musicians, they care about brands.

My theory: Scott wanted to start a new band, put out some feelers, and got back "we don't give a shit unless it's called Queensryche." Same reason you end up with sixteen fucking bands called Rhapsody.

Quote:
I'll take as many Queensryche's as I can get if they're all going to be on the level of quality as American Soldier

They need to bring this classic back.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 am 

Surely this just means he's rejoining the La Torre version... either way, I don't care lol.
Operation Mindcrime will always be a classic, but the various versions of this band can try and recreate their glory days without my support.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:08 am 

2 LA Guns
2 RATTs
2 Venoms
2 Great Whites
2 Yes
and now 3 Queensryches

Does anyone in these bands think for a second how foolish they look to the real fans of these bands? Venom and Venom Inc is one of the worst cases of this in my opinion. One version has the singer, the other version had the drummer and guitarist. I read an interview where Venom Inc, said why would you want a version of the band that has just one original member? We are the real Venom, because we have two of the three.
Whatever happened to having some form of credibility in your music. I'm not in RATT, but I'm going to play as RATT, because my own pathetic ass can't bring 10 people to a club. If Kirk Hamster leaves Metallica and decides he wants to still record and play music he starts a new band. Starts playing clubs and if it catches on it catches on. I am sure based off the name alone, he would sell some records. He is Kirk Hamster after all. The drummer from LA Guns, or the drummer from RATT not a chance. They better see if the local Subway needs a new sandwich maker.
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:58 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
2 LA Guns
2 RATTs
2 Venoms
2 Great Whites
2 Yes
and now 3 Queensryches

2 Entombed
2 Nocturnus

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I read an interview where Venom Inc, said why would you want a version of the band that has just one original member? We are the real Venom, because we have two of the three

Mantas has stated, Cronos was/is the iconic frontman taking all the credit even if Mantas wrote many songs before, and that annoys Mantas because Cronos was supposedly the last to join the band.

Mantas has said if he was mentally well in 2005 (his mother wall ill), Venom probably would be buried. So, Venom Inc. would probably not exist.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:05 pm 

Really hoping we eventually get Luca Turilli / Lione's Rhapsody of Fire's Queensryche Inc. tbh

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:07 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Really hoping we eventually get Luca Turilli / Lione's Rhapsody of Fire's Queensryche Inc. tbh

I don't recall there being any kind of big drama with the Rhapsody split. It was more just, "We had some creative differences with what kind of songs we wanted to write, so we decided to split up into two bands so everyone could do what they wanted to do, and now everybody wins!"

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:08 pm 

I'm aware, I just think it's funny that multiple bands have had these kinds of splits happen - be they amicable or not.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:19 pm 

HR90 wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:
2 Nocturnus

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I read an interview where Venom Inc, said why would you want a version of the band that has just one original member? We are the real Venom, because we have two of the three

Mantas has stated, Cronos was/is the iconic frontman taking all the credit even if Mantas wrote many songs before, and that annoys Mantas because Cronos was supposedly the last to join the band.

Mantas has said if he was mentally well in 2005 (his mother wall ill), Venom probably would be buried. So, Venom Inc. would probably not exist.

I never read that. Interesting

I would also like to add Judas Priest vs KK's Priest
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:29 pm 

HR90 wrote:

wizard_of_bore wrote:

I never read that. Interesting

I would also like to add Judas Priest vs KK's Priest

Mantas said it around 3:50, and I feel like he was a bit pissed.

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I'm aware, I just think it's funny that multiple bands have had these kinds of splits happen - be they amicable or not.

Everybody knows it's all about milking the classic albums/songs. They don't have anything to prove anymore and just stick with the past.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:22 pm 

Scott can get Tim Owens and the Sarzo Brothers to start the ultimate Guns for Hire version of Queensryche. THEN we'll be in business.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:29 am 

Is Geoff is done with the name "Operation: Mindcrime" ? Perhaps Scott could use it.

Or use "Operation: Mindcrime II", named after the all-time classic album on which Scott played... on most of the songs.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 am 

Quote:
Does anyone in these bands think for a second how foolish they look to the real fans of these bands?

I'm sure they do, but the brand is king.

Luca Turilli said (in an interview) that he wanted to ditch the Rhapsody name for their next album, but found that all the record label interest disappeared. Labels and promoters weren't interested in building up a "new property". It didn't matter that all the same musicians would be playing. Without the famous name, they were starting from nothing.

I'm sure Kirk Hammett could release a solo album and do OK, but a new Metallica CD would sell 10-20x more. Sadly that's just the way the business is. It's actually almost better to have a band of nobodies playing as a famous band than having that same famous band play under a new name. Slash puts out solo records from time to time: they don't sell that well. Meanwhile Axl Rose can fart out a new Guns 'n' Roses album with precisely ONE classic member and it sells like 3 million copies. (granted, that was a highly anticipated album, but still).

Quote:
Is Geoff is done with the name "Operation: Mindcrime" ? Perhaps Scott could use it.

Hopefully he's done with breathing.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:37 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
2 LA Guns
2 RATTs
2 Venoms
2 Great Whites
2 Yes
and now 3 Queensryches

3 Tanks