Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:48 am 

Post your top albums in which your favorite lyrics reside.

Mine:

Tristania - Beyond the Veil (1999)
Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit (2010)
Opeth - Morningrise (1996)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson (1996)
Rejoin my soul with thine

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:06 am 

Desultory's "Into eternity", beautiful and appealingly written.
Assück's "Misery index", misanthropic excellence.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:29 am 

Eternal Unity wrote:

Mine:

Yeah, but WHY though? I know next to nothing about the lyrics on those albums and I've heard them all except for the Tristania. Shed more light....

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 am 

Wytch Hazel - Prelude / Sojourn / Pentecost; With the overtly Christian stuff, the same thing shines through lyrically, and that's Colin's obvious passion - it's not done in a 'ticking a box' kind of way, it's his clear personal passion. There are a couple of 'standard' trad metal rockers, and even there he's obviously got a deep passion for the genre shining out of the writing. It's part of why they're so engaging as a band - nothing about it feels like them treading water or acting the part.

Powerwolf - Blessed & Possessed; pure power metal poetry. The whole thing is a mass of dogy Latin, awful puns, and rhyming that's just the right side of Sabaton's over-forced lyrics. I love it - I think they get their image across perfectly, even without the music, costumes, etc. It's more fun than anything meaningful, which is something that even power metal bands struggle with sometimes.

Nightwish - Century Child; it's one giant slab of screaming obsessive posessive nature. Parts of it are foreshaowded on Wishmaster, but Century Child really gets the core of Tuomas's essential being. Reading the lyrics in the context of his blow up with Tarja really colours in some of the blanks of their (non-)relationship, what he believed should have happened between them, and watching some of the interviews released around that time really tie off any other loose ends. Covering 'Phanton of the Opera' really isn't as subtle as he probably thought it was.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:08 am 

Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace
Dani Filth is a genius wordsmith and on this album he's at his peak. The lyrics are vampiric, sexual, perverted, Satanic, dark and just evil. I have fond memories being a teenager and using a dictionary to find out what the hell "Doth temptation prowl night in vulvic revelry?" is supposed to mean. The archaic personal pronouns maketh it gothier (i.e. cooler) as well.

My favourite line is from the last song
"Bury me in velvet dream
Lest I unduly wake
And seek to reconcile my thirst
With the cowardly tailors of my fate"

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:15 am 

"Viral Kinesis" off of Averse Sefira's Advent Parallax album is one of my favorites. I just love this personification of different aspects of consciousness and reality having a discussion about relevance. It's great imagery. I know the OP said to mention a specific album as a whole and not just one song, but this immediately came to mind. I must admit, I'm not someone who gets really into lyrics often, particularly with extreme metal, but there are some exceptions. I tend to be more into lyrics outside of extreme metal (VOLA, Jinjer, Deftones, etc) all have lyrics that interest me at times just as an example, but I'm more tuned into how the music makes me feel rather than what is being said.

"The Mind says, 'I am not of the Body. When the Body ceases, I will be set free. I direct the Shell to move.'
The Soul says, 'I am not of the Body. When Death comes, I shall reunite with the Void. I am the Engine of the Vessel.'
The Spirit says, 'I am not of the Body. If I die, there is no longer reason to Exist. I am the fuel that fills the Form and gives it Power.'
The Body says, 'It is only through Me that you are realized. I am that which makes you known. Without Me, you have no Home.'
The Fire says, 'I am your Master. I govern you all as Passions. The Body melts at my touch. The Spirit burns at ignition. The Soul ashes at recession. The Mind an inferno at my stoking.'"

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:19 am 

raumr wrote:
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace
Dani Filth is a genius wordsmith and on this album he's at his peak. The lyrics are vampiric, sexual, perverted, Satanic, dark and just evil. I have fond memories being a teenager and using a dictionary to find out what the hell "Doth temptation prowl night in vulvic revelry?" is supposed to mean. The archaic personal pronouns maketh it gothier (i.e. cooler) as well.

My favourite line is from the last song
"Bury me in velvet dream
Lest I unduly wake
And seek to reconcile my thirst
With the cowardly tailors of my fate"

I agree. Dani is an incredible lyricist and it makes Cradle's music so much more interesting. If I'm being honest, I don't follow everything he is saying a lot of the time, but I appreciate the skilled poetic approach he has and growing up Cradle was a band that always provoked me to say to myself, "Wtf is he saying? Let me Google this word..."

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:31 am 

Six Feet Under - Bringer of Blood. I mean with lyrics such as "A skeleton's hand shoved up your ass." this album is just pure poetry.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 am 

Not any deeper analysis (I'm not that capable, just going with the gut feeling), but Iron Maiden always had good lyrics. Also always liked the lyrics of To Mega Therion. They're poetry.

From our country I have to mention the lyrics of Enochian Crescent/The Crescent, Reverend Bizarre and Babylon Whores. Usually about deep subjects, and they not only fit the songs, but are also good by literary standards. Albums to check out: Black Church, Death of the West, In the Rectory...

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:11 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Eternal Unity wrote:

Mine:

Yeah, but WHY though? I know next to nothing about the lyrics on those albums and I've heard them all except for the Tristania. Shed more light....

The reason I chose the Tristania record is that the esoteric concepts of the lyrics takes you on a journey across realms of pure delight.
I also remember the day I first heard that album, which was my first of this particular band. It was March 14th, 2005. A friend of mine from junior year at high school gave me a present for cutting my hair short the previous evening.

The Opeth album is a masterpiece of music, same with Crimson. The Song "Black Rose Immortal", 4th track on Morningrise, is about The Devil and his newly added Human Soul Collector in the 14th century.
Crimson is set in the distant future and I just love it!
Mikael Åkerfeldt, lead vocalist on Morningrise, contributes singing abilities on Edge of Sanity's 1996 epic, as well.

The 2010 release of Agalloch is the pinnacle, in my opinion, of the band's poetry skills. The entire album's lyrics were written at the Romanian Carpathian Mountains in less than one month.

Last edited by Eternal Unity on Thu May 13, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm 

Opeth - Still Life. I love the concept and how it's both romantic and dark as hell, and I love the archaic stylisation in parts. This album has whole sections of lyrics that are both impossible not to shout along, but also would frankly hold up to a literary analysis.
And honourable mention to Pale Communion - Mikael seems to have transitioned into writing much more personal lyrics and for all that album's more technical faults, the lyrics are beautiful and powerful.
(Love to see the Morningrise appreciation here too)

Some others:
Leprous - Coal and Pitfalls. They have an incredible skill at writing about various forms of mental distress (from depression to anger and hatred) in a way I had never encountered before, in metal/rock lyrics or otherwise.
Paradise Lost - Obsidian. Frankly I could pick half their discography, but I think Obsidian has some of Nick's best, if not the best. PL lyrics are like this warm, fluffy blanket made of woolly misery, which feels strangely comforting when things seem to be going to shit.

Firmament1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:07 pm 

Surprised to not see Cryptopsy - None So Vile mentioned yet. They're simultaneously some of the most twisted, evil lyrics, while also remaining incredibly eloquent. Fittingly, Lord Worm ended up being an English teacher after leaving Cryptopsy:

Permit me to introduce you to Tuesday
I favor her, this pretty blade
So tall and fine
Hatred and violence are not
Our ways, but firm we are
Squirming is useless
So is this colon
Cry for me

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:05 pm 

Generally speaking I don't care a lot about lyrics.
But Peter Steele really had a way with words, especially in the Carnivore days. Retaliation is just filled with songs that are both funny and have great flow. Songs like S.M.D. and Jesus Hitler are pure genius. I mean, who doesn't love:

'Jesus Hitler,
Adolf Christ
Is this the second coming,
Or the fourth reich?'

Another favourite of mine is Angel of Death by Slayer. That song to me embodies the perfect metal track, both in music, sound, execution, and lyrics. It adequately conveys the very real horrors of the holocaust, while also having exceptional flow and really good rhymes that don't feel too forced.

worlock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:47 pm 

Chain Reaction from Amebix is probably the biggest hit for me lyrically. I got into Amebix as a teen through Arise! and then found Monolith at a local record store. The guy behind the counter was an older punk and he told me that they started playing shit metal on Monolith. I thought ok and bought it anyways. Got home and eventually Chain Reaction started playing. The grinding and gnarly as fuck guitar riff was already awesome to me, but fucking hell the lyrics hit home at that age.

"Rise into the light, and set a flame to the night
We must destroy the institution of fear
Every shadow of doubt, grind it out!
There is a vision now becoming so clear

Use your head, take control
Use your head, no Gods no Masters

Feel the strength from within, do you believe it's a sin
To find the power lying inside your mind
Not from the cross or the gun
Not from the Moon nor the Sun
But rising from the very soul of mankind

Use your head, take control
Use your head, no Gods no Masters

We are straining at the leash!

We swear allegiance to none, be, not become
There is no one upon whom praise we will shower
I believe that the sin is the first to give in
On the path toward the ultimate power"

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:41 pm 

Peobably they sound absurd for a native speaker, but i really love the crazy unsettling imagery conjured by Dax Riggs's lyrics on the two Acid Bath records. There is this drugged out, miserable and yet beautiful feeling that gets me everytime

I second the mention to Babylon Whores, such an awesome band! I'd also say that Darkthrone often had pretty cool lyrics

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:21 pm 

Slugdge's Putrid Fairytail is just one excellent quote after another, but I've highlighted a few of my favorite parts here. The lyrics themselves are really good here. They're super cynical and yet still kinda poetic. But I also really enjoy the delivery on them so if you haven't heard the song before, then give it a listen!
Spoiler: show
Corrupt ignobility adorned in pilfered gold
conceived in sewage by insipid lords of old
inbred degenerates languish in squalid halls
impotent and superfluous, unable to uphold

the basic tenets of the creed

usurpers vie to supersede
a tired waning hegemony, long bereft of majesty

Self-righteous justiciars desire to purify
a world of lies, that seeks to purge the earth and sky

licentious seditionists; gorge as your planet burns
from slime they came, and into slime they shall return

Praise the primordial poison pools that gave us form
to defy his decree, they dare to bite the hand that feeds

The custodians have become the abuser
ignorant beings with arrogant ideas

They loose a hail of arrows
that scorch the eyes of all who gaze

but it won't save them from the hell that waits

Mythologized transcendence, a paradise is lost
No deliverance from the dire cost

They've chosen the form of the destructor
More of slime than blood
their planet torn asunder by plutonium

Mercury rising, the surface scorched
They descend like rats into the bowels of earth

Digging like roaches through a mire
of their own self indulgence
caught in a web of fate
too bloodless to escape

No god can save you now
for they have no power here
within these ashen crypts
of suffering and despair

the flame ignited in it's heart
a chain reaction tearing apart
reaching the critical mass
The weapon of their futile vengeance

The eye, ablaze with radiance
that sears against your flesh
Dread rumbling in the deep
signalling the impending death

blinded by a caustic storm
the slamming of cyclopean doors
held aloft the orb ignites
Nowhere to run now from the light

Now standing in the presence of a foe conceived by alien gods
Never again to feel the sun, it immolates you
The Life-age of the universe, a wind that sweeps the world away
you feel the weight of every world bearing down on you

Sonata Arctica's What Did you Do in the War, Dad? is one of my favorite SA songs lyrically. It's a dialogue between father and son where the son is asking his dad about "the war" (duh, lol). The dad clearly has PTSD and doesn't want to talk about it, but the kid pushes too hard and kinda implies that his dad is a coward for staying silent, so dad lashes out and then breaks down crying. It's almost got this broadway duet style back forth to the delivery, and the father-son dialogue is a rare topic in metal so I really appreciate the uniqueness of the situation.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:36 pm 

There's a passage in the song Echoes of Despair off the Kingdom of Conspiracy album by Immolation:

Fear empowers trust
Trust empowers greed
Greed breeds the corrupt
The corrupt will break the world

A very accurate way to describe society imo.

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:51 pm 

A quick one-liner that pops into my head a lot when I think of my favorite lines is the recurring bit at the end of "Material World Paranoia." Both the directness of the phrase and the delivery.

"Promise of a better future is a lie!"

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 am 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
Opeth - Still Life. I love the concept and how it's both romantic and dark as hell, and I love the archaic stylisation in parts. This album has whole sections of lyrics that are both impossible not to shout along, but also would frankly hold up to a literary analysis.
And honourable mention to Pale Communion - Mikael seems to have transitioned into writing much more personal lyrics and for all that album's more technical faults, the lyrics are beautiful and powerful.
(Love to see the Morningrise appreciation here too)

Some others:
Leprous - Coal and Pitfalls. They have an incredible skill at writing about various forms of mental distress (from depression to anger and hatred) in a way I had never encountered before, in metal/rock lyrics or otherwise.
Paradise Lost - Obsidian. Frankly I could pick half their discography, but I think Obsidian has some of Nick's best, if not the best. PL lyrics are like this warm, fluffy blanket made of woolly misery, which feels strangely comforting when things seem to be going to shit.

Awesome!

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 am 

Pretty much any Walkyier-era Skyclad fits here.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:57 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Babylon Whores

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I second the mention to Babylon Whores

I've been wondering how come Ike Vil is so good on his own, but seems to have made a rather half-hearted effort of translating Pekka Kainulainen's stuff for the two recent Amorphis releases. Sure he's done a (much) better job than Sinisthra's Erkki Virta before him, and yet - when the local Amorphis fan club shared a bit of the original lyrics for The Bee along with Kainulainen's explanation of what he had meant, I was quite surprised. Ike Vil turned it into a cold and remote mythology-like account of mystical events without much real-world relevance (and with clumsy word choices like "prince electors"), but it turned out to have had a philosophical (and somewhat subversive even))) message (which isn't that far from what the band's previous, now much-maligned and almost forgotten, frontman used to write). I'm now thinking about getting that book of Kainulainen's earlier Amorphis originals.

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:34 pm 

This is a bit of a hard one, as there are so many good albums with good lyrics. But for lyrics that stand out and stick with me outside of the album, I have two songs from two very good albums.

1) The title track from 'Dim Carcosa' by Ancient Rites.

The album by itself is very good, with some decent lyrics. But they pale in comparison to the title track that closes the album. Not only does the music diverge from the general tone and sound of the rest of the album, but it has a very somber tone and it is spoken like poetry would be. And this delivery is very apropos as the song is very much a homage/contribution to the literary works and worlds of authors like Ambrose Bierce, Robert Chambers and HP Lovecraft. This song in particular echoes the content and delivery of the intro to Robert Chambers work, "The King In Yellow". (And is referred to as: Cassilda's Song in "The King In Yellow", Act I. Scene 2.) The lyrics of the song could have walked off the page of another act or scene from this purported play, as it matches delivery, content and tone so closely. I held the hope at first that it actually was another part of one of those stories, it was that good! But no, it is just an extension of the 'world sharing' that these authors pioneered and used to great effect.

2) "Goodbye" from the album 'Majestic' by Seventh Omen.

I picked this album up on a whim years ago and It has stood the test of time for me. And while there are other good songs/lyrics on the album, it is the closing song that stands out for me. It has that suicide/death connotations that songs like Metallica's "Fade to Black" and Lita Ford/Ozzy's "Close Your Eyes" have among others. But instead of something somber, the music to this track has more of an 'Irish Wake' feel, with a driving beat that never really slows down while the lyrical delivery is similar. Since this is a rather obscure band/album song, here's the main lyrics, minus some chorus repeat/variations at the end after some leads.

Goodbye I'm leaving now, there's not much left to do
The time has come to take my leave of all of you
It's been fun and it's been nice, No that's just a lie
It's been a constant struggle and I'm glad to say goodbye

Leave me alone
Don't want to hear you call my name
Leave me alone
I'm sick of all the little games
The time has come for me to say
Goodbye

There's no life here for me, no hope on the horizon
A lasting happiness is just an aspiration
I denounce hypocrisy and sycophantic ways
Conformity imprison me for far too many days

Leave me alone
Don't want to hear you call my name
Leave me alone
I'm sick of all the little games
The time has come for me to say
Goodbye

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am 

Lyrics are a HUGE part of the puzzle for me. So many of my favourite albums are ranked so high due to the lyrical content. The reason I fell for Mgła so hard was the lyrics.

Back in high school I became obsessed with the way Mikael wrote lyrics on Still Life and Blackwater Park.

The lyrics on Weather Systems by Anathema accompany the theme/scope of the album perfectly.

Dani Filth's lyrics in the early days were incredible, but I feel like on Midian he reached his summit. They are so clever, and at times really fun when he plays with puns and wordplay.

And one of the biggest mentions for me is ...And Justice For All. Wow, what a harrowing, exhausting, dreadful thing.

~Guest 322837
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:35 am 

Acid Bath has that perfect mix of angst, psychedelia and depravity that is just fucking perfect.

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:12 am 

I would have to agree with the mention of Opeth’s Morningrise. What a great album and the lyrics just accompanies the feel of the songs and instruments. It kinda develops a story everytime that you can feel and be attached to. I personally love the one on Nectar that accompanies that very nice melodic riff (one of my favorite riffs ever) around 2:00 mark:
[youtube] https://youtu.be/5D33c6rRVC0[/youtube]

“Oh! Bring me through..
Carry my empty shadows
...And guide me inside your warped labyrinth
To a world of sin
I swear I will always love you...”

It’s a personal one for me. I had a girlfriend who was like the sexiest and sweetest girl and I was so into her but she has some really bad ways like doing meth and living life like there’s no tomorrow and just enjoying sex and all the pleasure of it while high on meth (it’s really a pleasurable and heavenly combination I swear) and every time I hear this part it’s just makes me think of how much I love her and I will do anything with her. But that didn’t end well for us. So sad but memorable. The album got more good lyrics though like mentioned Black Rose Immortal has a nice story and poetry and Night and Silent Water has some nice melancholic lyrics accompanied by some nice acoustic passages. Mikael has a way of writing a love story without it being corny or cheesy but just deep and even dark.

Another one is Emperor’s lyrics on In the Nightside Eclipse. I just love how it captures that cold winter feel or the mystic powers of the night without being too comedic or weird. At that time Norwegian black metal bands were so into their winter cold lyrics like describing Norway being cold and evil but this band and this album just captures that dark, evil and satisfying feeling of coldness and darkness with a feeling of wonder and awe. Songs like Into the Infinity of Thoughts, Majesty of the Nightsky, Beyond the Great Vast Forest, and Inno A Satana. Ihsahn and Samoth really made me feel like winter at nighttime is so wonderfully dark and mysterious and makes me wanna move to Norway just to feel it.

Other than that I don’t really pay attention to lyrics specially with black metal mostly because it’s either in another language or sometimes I’m just too lazy to look at the lyrics. If I like what I hear if it gets my attention then maybe I check it out.

Edit:I’m sorry guys but I don’t know how to post a YouTube link with it showing the video and I don’t know how to use spoilers. I’m kinda new to this so I sincerely apologize and I will appreciate if someone helps me out. Thank you.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:09 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Lyrics are a HUGE part of the puzzle for me. So many of my favourite albums are ranked so high due to the lyrical content. The reason I fell for Mgła so hard was the lyrics.

Back in high school I became obsessed with the way Mikael wrote lyrics on Still Life and Blackwater Park.

The lyrics on Weather Systems by Anathema accompany the theme/scope of the album perfectly.

Dani Filth's lyrics in the early days were incredible, but I feel like on Midian he reached his summit. They are so clever, and at times really fun when he plays with puns and wordplay.

And one of the biggest mentions for me is ...And Justice For All. Wow, what a harrowing, exhausting, dreadful thing.

Alright!

Psychedelicatessen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:20 pm 

For a thrash metal band, the lyrics Gene Hoglan wrote for Dark Angel on Time Does Not Heal are really good. The song, " An Ancient Inherited Shame" (apparently) won some kind of award or high praise from a feminist group; which I imagine isn't such an easy feat when you're a bunch of jacked dudes in a metal band.

This must be necrophilia, for I am dead inside
Your violent misogyny, your strength drowns my cries
In shock, I'm crippled with disbelief
This can't be happening to me
Oh god, this hurts, I'm bleeding from friction
Unconscious I'm pleading to be...

You cannot imagine the anger I feel
Nor can you imagine the pain and despair
This double jeopardy soon happens again
When they scrape me for semen and hair
My mind is frozen with your face intact
This atrocity from which I haven't been spared
From now on, I'll only know lovemaking through
An act of intense terror

The malevolence which pours over me
You fill me with your rage
It's mortifying, diabolical
Controlling through this stage
I struggle to cope with what's happening
I'm praying for my death
I've done nothing wrong, I've been victimized
So I'll pray for yours instead

The physical torment inflicted on me
Is insufferable but it doesn't compare
To your terrible criminal mentality
And the scars I'll forever bear
To live through this brutal show of force
Will cause me years of torment and grief
Awaiting this misery to run its course
As I scream out incessant pleas

Mystic_Stylez wrote:
Edit:I’m sorry guys but I don’t know how to post a YouTube link with it showing the video and I don’t know how to use spoilers. I’m kinda new to this so I sincerely apologize and I will appreciate if someone helps me out. Thank you.

You used the "shortened" version of the YouTube link made for mobile apps (I guess, I don't know), but everything else was fine. Basically if it has "youtu.be" in the link, it probably isn't going to work.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:25 am 

3rd'ing Acid Bath. Wild, image-dense lyrics beautifully and catchily sung.

"I understand and don't care, 'cuz the skyscrapers look like gravestones (yeah) from out here". (Diab Soule) If myself, my views, or my outlook could be summed in one sentence, it'd be that lyric line. It's been like a quiet internal mantra since I first heard it over twenty years ago.

Also Venus Blue, especially the chorus, is incredibly fun to sing, and ponder:

"Creeping like frost as slow as grave moss, like drowning in dry oceans of bone dust.
I taste the wreckage of crumbling faces, I know the pale thing in the darkest of places.

I remember blood from the thighs of the mother, as everything is eaten by another.
How much more must we bleed her? I cut their throats while they slept (I wept).
I peel back my skull for you (yes I do.)

Slow desolation like a funeral procession. The lovely one screams like she's caught between stations.
I eat the razor, a mouthful of god's flesh. Sweating this blackness, i'm shitting this cold death."

(chorus)
(a nuncupative verse i've never been able to make out)
(chorus)

Typed from memory, it's just so good.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:26 am 

^4thing Daxs lyrics. I think I quoted Venus Blue the last time we had this thread. Absolutely brilliant. Both beautiful and horrific at the same time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:28 am 

Arch/Matheos's last album had absolutely excellent lyrics going on...

Dreaming dreams before remembrance
Wondering what holds up the sky
Mother she embrace eternal, singing lullabies
Slipping through little hands like painted butterflies
Trying to catch the memories before, before they fly away
Everything we are, foreshadowed and disguised
Wistfully foreboding winter, innocence slowly dies
Tracing outlines in the sands of yesterday
Weary eyes look to the sky and wonder

Beautiful simplicity dissolved with every written word
Ethereal the sound of silence that we've never heard
The clay feet of the gods immortalized by every mortal hand
Connate flaws send stone and mortar crumbling to the ground
No stone we've left unturned reveals what we could never be
Questions posed reveal more questions in deep seas of mystery
It's raining down illusions, drowning thunderous empty souls
It's raining but we're dying, raining and we're dying

Just jam packed with words and it's all so poetic and evocative. A masterwork.

Briton Rites lyrics are always great too - their new album has some absolutely wonderful occult old school horror storytelling.

Mystic_Stylez
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:58 am 

Psychedelicatessen wrote:

Mystic_Stylez wrote:

You used the "shortened" version of the YouTube link made for mobile apps (I guess, I don't know), but everything else was fine. Basically if it has "youtu.be" in the link, it probably isn't going to work.

Oh yeh! I guess that was it. Thanks man.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:11 pm 

Dick is fucking big,
Pussy is fucking tight,
Anal fuck is waiting,
Big dick's might.
- Barbatos, 2003

Reply to topic