Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LilTito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:13 pm 

So just a quick explanation, I came back to metal after about a 2 year pause

Anyway, I've been getting reccs for this Blood Incantation band, a lot of hype for this type of music. So I listened to their last 2 albums, and I must say i wasnt impressed...
Don't get me wrong, the music is professional and well produced, and i like the sound, but i just dont understand what is so special about a sound that has been tried and, dare i say, perfected like 30 years ago. I'm sure i could find at least 10 bands that sound almost exactly like BI. Nothing wrong with them, but why this particular band, and not some other which sounds basically the same?

Post your tank on this (if you want)

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:28 am 

i find myself wondering the same thing constantly.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:29 am 

Don't ever listen to hype, just hear something for what it is.

MeavyHetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:01 pm 

I personally love their music, but then again I'm an absolute junkie for this specific style of death metal and I can see where it's not for everyone.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:11 pm 

Demilich and Timeghoul don't exist anymore, and there were very few bands playing that style when they picked it back up, so Blood Incantation are carrying the torch. It's pretty much that simple. Throw in a cool logo, aliens, constant touring, and getting signed to a label that people really respect, and you have a winning formula.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:14 pm 

LilTito wrote:

Anyway, I've been getting reccs for this Blood Incantation band, a lot of hype for this type of music. So I listened to their last 2 albums, and I must say i wasnt impressed...
Don't get me wrong, the music is professional and well produced, and i like the sound, but i just dont understand what is so special about a sound that has been tried and, dare i say, perfected like 30 years ago. I'm sure i could find at least 10 bands that sound almost exactly like BI. Nothing wrong with them, but why this particular band, and not some other which sounds basically the same?

Blood Incantation draws on specific styles of old-school death metal which actually weren't explored much in the 90s, contrary to your assertion. Their most obvious influences are bands like Demilich and Timeghoul, and the particular styles of death metal they played were not at all popular back in death metal's heyday. In fact, the whole 90s Finnish death metal scene only really started gaining notoriety over the past decade because bands like Blood Incantation, Tomb Mold, and Chthe'ilist picked up on what they were doing and incorporated ideas from those 90s albums into their own sound. As for Timeghoul, they're a one-of-a-kind band and no one else sounded like them in the 90s. So BI started off with a pretty distinct base and then added influences from Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Death, Nocturnus, Cynic, and a whole bunch of other DM bands on top of it to create their own distinct style. Not to mention the obvious new-age, progressive and psychedelic rock influences they've always had.

Ultimately, what has really made them stand out is their songwriting and their ability to really fill a certain niche that had been largely missing in the old school death metal revival movement that's been going strong over the past decade. They're largely seen as the poster boys of this wave of cosmically focused old-school death metal, and everything from their aesthetic, their album covers, and the music itself is designed to encapsulate this. When I listen to Starspawn or Hidden History it really does feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience at times. The balance between the death metal and the weirder, psychedelic spaced-out moments really just work for me. It also helps that they can write long epic tracks that are actually engaging and take you on a journey to where it seems like the time just flies by.

Also, as narsilianshard mentioned they tour heavily and are really strong live, as well as being pretty down to earth overall. So it's not a surprise that they've blown up the way they have.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:57 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Demilich and Timeghoul don't exist anymore, and there were very few bands playing that style when they picked it back up, so Blood Incantation are carrying the torch. It's pretty much that simple. Throw in a cool logo, aliens, constant touring, and getting signed to a label that people really respect, and you have a winning formula.

Basically this, except now Demilich does exist again, and they're set to release new music either late this year or sometime next year. Probably next year, the way things are going.

Also, yeah. They haven't reinvented the wheel, but at the end of the day BI have great songwriting, riffs out the ass, cool imagery/cosmic themes, and they're insanely good live. It's not they're fault they've become overhyped. They've got my respect.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:10 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:

Yup, same here.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:26 pm 

Razakel wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Basically this, except now Demilich does exist again, and they're set to release new music either late this year or sometime next year. Probably next year, the way things are going.

Also, yeah. They haven't reinvented the wheel, but at the end of the day BI have great songwriting, riffs out the ass, cool imagery/cosmic themes, and they're insanely good live. It's not they're fault they've become overhyped. They've got my respect.

That's my take on this too. At the end of the day, just a solid band.

thedeadlakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:37 pm 

Agreed with first post. Boring band that bring nothing new to the table. Spectral Voice however..

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:44 pm 

So Demilich/Timeghoul worship is unacceptable but Disembowelment/Rippikoulu worship is somehow totally unique?

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:50 pm 

Yeah, that's a weird take considering how much of a debt Spectral Voice owes to Disembowelment's Transcendence Into The Peripheral. It's fine if he likes them more than Blood Incantation, but they're essentially doing the same thing in taking older, less heralded styles of DM and updating them for a new audience.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:43 pm 

LilTito wrote:
I'm sure i could find at least 10 bands that sound almost exactly like BI.

Please try.

Pro tip: You can't.

Because of this:

narsilianshard wrote:

There is basically nothing that sounds like Blood Incantation as they are basically the band that best emulated the sound of Timeghoul and Demilich and further expanded on this sound. There other bands exploring the osdm approach and bringing it into the 20th century with their own personal touch, like Chthe'ilist or Tomb Mold. But for people who discovered Timeghoul over the last ten years, there is basically nothing except for Blood Incantation that really scratches that specific itch.

So I strongly disagree with the OP suggesting that this sound was already fully explored and perfected 30 years ago. I mean, sure Timeghoul did an amazing job on their first two demos, but they never actually released any LPs. So Blood Incantation are pretty much, like narsilianshard said, carrying the torch on this. I mean, yes, of course there are other osdm revival bands exploring the whole sci-fi, occult, lovecraftian and/or extra-terrestrial, mysterious, extreme metal realm, like Chthe'ilist I mentionned earlier or, Nocturnus A.D., Vektor, Voïvod, Tomb Mold or Gorguts. But none are doing it like Blood Incantation are.

And last but not least, I'll give you the same answer I give to anyone who says "I don't get" this or that artist: You don't have to. I never jumped on the Deathspell Omega or Litturgy hype, but I don't have to. Doesn't mean it's not good music, it just means I never got into it all that much. Blood Incantation are one of my favorite death metal bands these days, but it's completely fine if you don't like them.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:47 pm 

Razakel wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I know this is not what you're arguing here, but I've always found that the whole "but they have not reinvented the wheel" argument was pretty poor. I mean, bands can just be extremely good at playing within the realms of an already established genre. Like you said, BI have "great songwriting, riffs out the ass, cool imagery/cosmic themes, and they're insanely good live", and that should be enough of a reason why people like them. Like... if some thrash metal band released something that sounded like Rust in Peace Part 2, would folks really bitch that it's too much like Megadeth did? Or would they appreciate the kickass riffs, mind-blowing solos, killer drums and all around amazing songs? I'm part of the second group.

However, it's also plain not true that Blood Incantation has not contributed something new. I mean, they obviously took massive inspiration from Timeghoul and Demilich, but they also pushed the boundaries of the genre even further.

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:59 pm 

This applies 10x more to Tomb Mold. I love death metal but nothing they do excites me at all yet they seem to be adored almost universally.

I checked out their show last time they played London, the place was sold out and full but I just don't get it at all.

Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice at least fill a niche, Tomb Mold is just OSDM band number whatever.

MeavyHetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:09 pm 

ThanatosUK wrote:
This applies 10x more to Tomb Mold. I love death metal but nothing they do excites me at all yet they seem to be adored almost universally.

I checked out their show last time they played London, the place was sold out and full but I just don't get it at all.

Blood Incantation and Spectral Voice at least fill a niche, Tomb Mold is just OSDM band number whatever.

I honestly love all three of these bands.

Now one death metal band that seems to be hyped up a lot that I DO think is overrated would be Gatecreeper. Tons of bands are already doing the whole Swedeath thing and while I don't dislike them, there are plenty of bands who do it better.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:12 pm 

To be fair, their debut album is heavily underrated. At the time of writing, Starspawn only has 7 reviews on this site, while Hidden History of the Human Race has 24!

Check out my reviews

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:35 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
To be fair, their debut album is heavily underrated. At the time of writing, Starspawn only has 7 reviews on this site, while Hidden History of the Human Race has 24!

I don't think Starspawn is all that underrated, as much as HHOTHR was extremely hyped and received a lot of media attention, not to mention how well it fared in the forum polls of Metal Archives.

And as you know. Such attention is bound to attract a lot of people, and reviewers want to throw in their two cents on such a succesful album. Typically, albums that get so many reviews because of hype also have lower average scores because of people who really really really feel that they need to counter or "nuance" the otherwise very favorable reviews of such popular albums.

This is also the logic behind a thread like this one. It's people going "I don't get the hype" and chosing to give negative feedback for an album they would have otherwise completely ignored if it wasn't all that popular to begin with.

Fans of Blood Incantation also listen to Starspawn a lot.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:37 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Erosion of Humanity wrote:

Yup, same here.

Agreed. I was wondering to myself a few days ago if I just didn't "get it". I mean I have Starspawn and I have Tomb Mold's Manor.... But in general, death metal in the past few years that have leaned heavily in this direction I find to not appeal to me as much as a large portion of death metal fans. It's good, but I'm not yearning to hear it more than once a month (if that). Haven't heard too much death metal in general since 2018. I've been slacking.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:42 pm 

ThanatosUK wrote:
Tomb Mold is just OSDM band number whatever.

It all boils down to song-writing, cool riffs and execution. There is room for a return to form in the death metal scene, and Tomb Mold are just playing all their cards properly. I definitely do not praise them quite as much as I praise Blood Incantation, but I like Tomb Mold, and they are playing writing exactly the kind of stuff I want to hear from such a band. It's riff-oriented dm that takes influence from osdm bands à la Incantation, Bolt Thrower, Autopsy and Morbid Angel, mixing it with the aggression of modern bands like Funebrarum, Blood Red Throne and Disma, and sticking to the whole cosmic terror/sci-fi/occult themes like BI and Chthe'ilist. I mean. I don't think they'll go down in history as an essential of the death metal scene of the 2010's and 2020's, but they are fun and they have good riffs.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:00 pm 

If anything I'm more stoked on Tomb Mold right now, since I thought Hidden History was slightly weaker than Starspawn (though still great), whereas Tomb Mold's Planetary Clairvoyance is by far the best record they've done.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:12 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

This is a good sum up. I wasn't impressed by the first album but the second one is pretty cool and they are great live. Spectral Voice too. Don't get the criticism that they aren't doing anything "new". So what? So is 99% of metal. Not everything has to be unique and revolutionary.

LilTito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:37 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
LilTito wrote:

Blood Incantation draws on specific styles of old-school death metal which actually weren't explored much in the 90s, contrary to your assertion. Their most obvious influences are bands like Demilich and Timeghoul, and the particular styles of death metal they played were not at all popular back in death metal's heyday. In fact, the whole 90s Finnish death metal scene only really started gaining notoriety over the past decade because bands like Blood Incantation, Tomb Mold, and Chthe'ilist picked up on what they were doing and incorporated ideas from those 90s albums into their own sound. As for Timeghoul, they're a one-of-a-kind band and no one else sounded like them in the 90s. So BI started off with a pretty distinct base and then added influences from Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Death, Nocturnus, Cynic, and a whole bunch of other DM bands on top of it to create their own distinct style. Not to mention the obvious new-age, progressive and psychedelic rock influences they've always had.

Ultimately, what has really made them stand out is their songwriting and their ability to really fill a certain niche that had been largely missing in the old school death metal revival movement that's been going strong over the past decade. They're largely seen as the poster boys of this wave of cosmically focused old-school death metal, and everything from their aesthetic, their album covers, and the music itself is designed to encapsulate this. When I listen to Starspawn or Hidden History it really does feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience at times. The balance between the death metal and the weirder, psychedelic spaced-out moments really just work for me. It also helps that they can write long epic tracks that are actually engaging and take you on a journey to where it seems like the time just flies by.

Also, as narsilianshard mentioned they tour heavily and are really strong live, as well as being pretty down to earth overall. So it's not a surprise that they've blown up the way they have.

I generally agree with you, but I am a big fan of Demilich and Chthe'ilist but I just don't hear any of that in Blood Incantation. Matter of fact, one of the reason I wanted to check BI out was because they apparently sounded like the 2 bands I mentioned, however to me BI sounds nothing like those 2, all I hear is very generic osdm with some psychodelic solos here and there.. Kinda like Artificial Brain being compared with Ulcerate, even tho they are 2 different worlds..
Point being, I don't mind having an "old" sound at all, I just dont hear any uniqueness in BI's music.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:53 pm 

LilTito wrote:
I generally agree with you, but I am a big fan of Demilich and Chthe'ilist but I just don't hear any of that in Blood Incantation.

Your OP said their style was perfected 30 years ago. If not by Demilich, then who? Who perfected this niche style of cosmic, progressive death metal in 1991?

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:30 pm 

I love Blood Incantation.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm 

LilTito wrote:
Kalaratri wrote:
LilTito wrote:

I generally agree with you, but I am a big fan of Demilich and Chthe'ilist but I just don't hear any of that in Blood Incantation. Matter of fact, one of the reason I wanted to check BI out was because they apparently sounded like the 2 bands I mentioned, however to me BI sounds nothing like those 2, all I hear is very generic osdm with some psychodelic solos here and there.. Kinda like Artificial Brain being compared with Ulcerate, even tho they are 2 different worlds..
Point being, I don't mind having an "old" sound at all, I just dont hear any uniqueness in BI's music.

That's because they're not as obvious about the Demilich worship (not that Chthe'ilist is straight-up ripping off Demilich by any means, they have many other influences. It's just much easier to hear the Demilich elements because of the ways their songs are structured and the way the riffs are written). Starspawn, for example, contains many sections that are obviously inspired by Nespithe. For example, the opening to Vitrification of Blood Part I and the riff that comes in at around 5:34:

The difference is that they don't base their sound wholly around these types of riffs. There's a lot of other stuff going on. For example, the Timeghoul influence I mentioned? Listen to the riff at around 1:19 from The Siege and then listen to the section from Chaoplasm starting at 1:55. To me at least, it seems like there's a direct link that can be made. This is just one example, but there are others:

BI doesn't just draw from those two bands though, there's also a lot of influence from other OSDM bands going on, which becomes a lot more evident on Hidden History of the Human Race. What makes them cool to me is that they take all of these influences and craft their own sound with it, so even though you can spot the influences if you pay careful attention it never feels like they're copying those bands, but rather taking those ideas and going in their own direction.

Blood Incantation is the furthest thing from generic because there are very few if any bands that sound exactly like them, especially when it comes to new OSDM bands. There are other bands like Mithras who have some of the same influences but in practice sound very different from what BI is doing. Even a band like Chthe'ilist who have a high score on their similar artists' tab don't actually sound that much like them. Timeghoul is the closest you'll find, and they only put out a couple of demos so BI's more or less been flying the flag for this particular style.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Fri May 14, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:32 pm 

Slater922 wrote:

I think this has more to do with Starspawn being the first one. It was pressed and repressed for three years before HH but the audience for the band was largely new. With HH everyone knew what to expect and were waiting for it

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:43 pm 

"Starspawn" is incredible. One of the best death metal releases of the new millennium.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:40 pm 

I really enjoy their music, and it's really awesome to have a death metal band of their caliber coming straight out of my state. But that said, not my favorite of all time. Then again I'm not their target demographic of people that really dig that osdm vibe. I also do not enjoy their last release nearly as much as starspawn. Starspawn was a seriously intriguing release, while their last one was enjoyable but nothing beyond that.

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:36 pm 

Previously I liked them, but just that.. until I saw them playing live. They blew me away, fantastic and passionate performance.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:13 am 

They're a band that really excites me the first time I listen to them after a really long break because it's really good, windy quirky death metal... but any second time around it all feels way too soft and loses me. They pretty much completely drop all the violence and propulsion of death metal to get all their twisty weedling going on and with extended exposure it ends up feeling really toothless to me. I guess that metal doesn't need to be nastiest shit ever, but I dunno, for me, death metal kinda needs a minimum level of savagery to really connect, it's a big chunk of the appeal for me. They don't have it.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:00 am 

LilTito wrote:
Matter of fact, one of the reason I wanted to check BI out was because they apparently sounded like the 2 bands I mentioned, however to me BI sounds nothing like those 2

They have a score of 147 with Timeghoul in the similar artists section here on MA, and a 129 with Demilich. But I mean, we must all be imagining these similarities, right?

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:29 am 

ogmetal wrote:
I love Blood Incantation.

Well, considering the amount of copies of "Hidden" you sold, would be weird if you didn't :lol:

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:38 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
LilTito wrote:
Matter of fact, one of the reason I wanted to check BI out was because they apparently sounded like the 2 bands I mentioned, however to me BI sounds nothing like those 2

They have a score of 147 with Timeghoul in the similar artists section here on MA, and a 129 with Demilich. But I mean, we must all be imagining these similarities, right?

I'm curious about their influences too. Has anyone read or heard any interviews with BI discussing the bands that influenced them?

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:41 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
LilTito wrote:

I'm curious about their influences too. Has anyone read or heard any interviews with BI discussing the bands that influenced them?

Enya. Not even kidding.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:31 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
LilTito wrote:

I don't really think they sound too much like either of them though. That's just the closest you can get because of the mood and aesthetics. Maybe Timeghoul I can see. But I don't think anyone ever really sounded much like Demilich that I heard - they're just one of those unique acts.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:37 am 

Empyreal wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
LilTito wrote:

I don't really think they sound too much like either of them though. That's just the closest you can get because of the mood and aesthetics. Maybe Timeghoul I can see. But I don't think anyone ever really sounded much like Demilich that I heard - they're just one of those unique acts.

Stargazer is the band they sound closer to imho.

To me they sound like an amalgamation of Stargazer, Timeghoul, Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness, Death and even some Nile madness. Demilich too but the vibe is completely different. Some of the riffs definitely sound like Demilich but their sound and structures as a finished work sound nothing alike. Also early Gorguts, not the dissonant avantgardish stuff.

MPM: To me, Blood Incantation has major influences from Timeghoul, Demilich, Morbid Angel, Immolation, Gorguts, and Nocturnus. What makes Blood Incantation unique and creative that no other band sounds like you in today’s Modern era of Death Metal?

BI: We take influences from all of those bands, but also many more. I am genuinely surprised nobody ever mentions bands like Lykathea Aflame, Absorbed, Supuration, Atrocity, Disincarnate, StarGazer, Septic Flesh, Suffocation and especially Death. When Isaac and I started the band in late 2011, our intention was to merge the strange, mystical Death Metal of Gorguts, Lykathea Aflame and StarGazer with the classic brutal riffing of Death, Morbid Angel and Disincarnate. This strain of influences (and many, many more) still informs our playing today, but it’s less about the riffs themselves and more so how we respect and are inspired by these bands’ strength in their refusal to submit to the cookie-cutter palate from which most music (not just Death Metal) is derived. Additionally, I’ve been in over 20 bands the last 18 years, and an astute listener can hear echoes of every one of them throughout all of my current bands. Going back through those old projects, you can also hear many elements that now “define” my current bands’ sounds in their primordial stages.

https://metalpurgatorymedia.com/2020/04 ... cantation/

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:48 am 

I can see that. I always thought they were a band who didn't sound terribly avant garde but had a sound without any one big influence.

It's been a bit since I played them, but I got into them right before the pandemic and it's been a weird ass time. Ought to revisit em - they have a good sense of riffs and writing and I can see how they got as big as they are.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:53 am 

I'd also like to reiterate how incredibly tight they are live.

Their albums always leave me wanting more. They always end too soon and a few couple tracks on each one would have been great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:03 am 

I always enjoy that short length of these albums actually. Just efficient like a fucking knife. No fat at all - I think it's admirable.

More than anything BI is impressive for the level of polish and character in the writing. May not always be what metalheads want, but I find the songwriting to be ace.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next