Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:15 pm 

I’ve searched online for a live video of them playing their one hour song but all they seem to ever do is play the first 8 min of it at beginning of show and then play a bunch of different songs before returning to the one hour song for another 8 min and that’s it.

This is very disappointing to me. It’s one of the best songs ever made. Them playing it in its entirety live would be quite an experience for the audience. Like I can imagine the entire audience assuming the lotus position and meditating during the one hour song haha

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:45 pm 

Commisaur wrote:
Like I can imagine the entire audience assuming the lotus position and meditating during the one hour song haha

You would think something like that would happen at a Sleep show but people were straight up moshing when I saw them here in Indy a couple years ago. Like, literally pushing people over during the quiet part of Holy Mountain and crowd killing when Dragonaut kicked in. I could understand that sort of rowdiness for High On Fire but it really soured the experience for me. Might be better off expecting that sort of thing from an OM gig.

On topic, I honestly can't imagine the entirety of Dopesmoker going down that well in a live setting. It's fun to have those fragments in there but an hour straight of it would just be monotonous. I'm also low key convinced that nobody actually likes the entirety of Dopesmoker since all the memes only focus on the first couple riffs and the opening couplet so I might not be the best judge there.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:00 pm 

I saw them, in a sold out show, at San Francisco’s Warfield theater. They did an intro, with space radio chatter, from some Apollo mission. Then they played a bunch of holy mountain and the sciences songs. They turned the lights off, then played twenty minutes of it, as an encore. I can’t say if it was exactly the same as the record.

I think that the record was intended to be an experiment, to see if they could do it. They headline, and play two hour sets, but I think they make it a priority to give people more of everything else. I think their intention is more that you’re supposed to put on the green vinyl, at 4:20, on April 20th.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:17 pm 

I don't think so. They usually play parts of it. They did two exclusive tours at Roadburn and played The Sciences and Holy Mountain iirc. Dopesmoker is their most acclaimed and iconic album and they chose the play the two other two so I guess it's not happening. Must be a chore to play it in full honestly.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:28 pm 

I honestly wish they did play Dopesmoker in its entirety. Yes, its one hour timeline is intimidating, but given the right stage presentation and execution of the sound it can end up coming off pretty great.

Check out my reviews

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:44 pm 

I think most of you got it all wrong on their one hour song. The band said in interviews with Decibel Magazine in an article inducting the album into the magazine’s Hall of Fame list that they fully intended the song to hold one’s attention the entire time. They were also really adamant about the song being one single continuous track rather than broken up into separate tracks as the label wanted. They also said that they wanted the song to be meditative and ritualistic in nature with Eastern sounding elements - almost relaxing. The song was meant to be taken in as a whole - not bits and pieces - in order for the listener to fully let the mood of the album sink in . The label also at the time said there was no market for the album but the band insisted that there was one.

I for one like the entire song and listen to it from beginning to end from time to time. It flows really well for a one hour song. It doesn’t feel that long. Ironically the version of the album I grew to like and I still prefer is Jerusalem (late 90’s release) - the version that the label they quarreled with released. This version has the song broken into 6 separate tracks , BUT the guitar tone is the BEST. It is the most crushing compared to the Dopesmoker remix of the 2000’s which amazingly the band says is their true vision and intended sound uncorrupted by a uncooperative and controlling label. Anyways the guitar tone on Jerusalem is similar to the guitar tone that Scott Burns captured on the late 80s early 90s OSDM releases except way heavier and multilayered. Speaking of multilayered, Matt Pike said that there are several guitars on the one hour song not simply just two guitars

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:54 pm 

Commisaur wrote:
Them playing it in its entirety live would be quite an experience for the audience. Like I can imagine the entire audience assuming the lotus position and meditating during the one hour song haha

Falling asleep more like it.

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:08 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Commisaur wrote:
Like I can imagine the entire audience assuming the lotus position and meditating during the one hour song haha

You would think something like that would happen at a Sleep show but people were straight up moshing when I saw them here in Indy a couple years ago. Like, literally pushing people over during the quiet part of Holy Mountain and crowd killing when Dragonaut kicked in. I could understand that sort of rowdiness for High On Fire but it really soured the experience for me. Might be better off expecting that sort of thing from an OM gig.

Just like the time I seen Sunn O))) and people were stage diving. I was wondering when the conga line was going to start.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:45 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Dopesmoker is their most acclaimed and iconic album

I'm pretty sure Holy Mountain is has acclaimed if not more acclaimed than Dopesmoker. I also do not think that there is something more iconic than Dragonaut in their entire discography.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:48 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I'm pretty sure Holy Mountain is has acclaimed if not more acclaimed than Dopesmoker. I also do not think that there is something more iconic than Dragonaut in their entire discography.

I concur.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:13 am 

They almost managed once, but at the 58-minute mark, the drummer paused briefly for a chocolate wafer.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188/e ... nom-rockin - Eerie evaluation episode 2: a podcast discussing Venom.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:41 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Dragonaut may be their most well known song but Dopesmoker is definitely their most iconic and acclaimed album nowadays. Dopesmoker has more ratings and better rating on RYM. It also has more reviews here and only 3% less rating. Same on Sputnik, they both have the same rating but Dopesmoker has 20% more ratings and reviews. In Last FM Dragonaut is the most listened song but Dopesmoker has more scrobblings than any other Holy Mountain song in the past year. Same on Spotify, Dragonaut is the most popular and Dopesmoker is the second most popular track (I'm guessing the algorithm is taking the length into account too).

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:38 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Dragonaut may be their most well known song but Dopesmoker is definitely their most iconic and acclaimed album nowadays. Dopesmoker has more ratings and better rating on RYM. It also has more reviews here and only 3% less rating. Same on Sputnik, they both have the same rating but Dopesmoker has 20% more ratings and reviews. In Last FM Dragonaut is the most listened song but Dopesmoker has more scrobblings than any other Holy Mountain song in the past year. Same on Spotify, Dragonaut is the most popular and Dopesmoker is the second most popular track (I'm guessing the algorithm is taking the length into account too).

You keep saying Dopesmoker is more acclaimed, but I really don't see it. Music nerds and hipsters on RYM might like it more, most likely because it's cool and hip to listen to one-song-albums with themes surrounding the journey of pot smoking aliens, but there is a reason why Sleep still focuses more on Holy Mountain when they play live, and that's because that's what their fans want to hear. Not only this, but Holy Mountains is the genre defining album, and most definitely one of the most, if not the most influential stoner doom album there is. It was also the first they released out of the two. So sure, retrospectively, music nerds are bringing back attention on Dopesmoker, but I can't imagine Sleep playing an entire set without a single song from Holy Mountain, while they can still easily play just a few riffs from Dopesmokers during and encore and fans will still turn up to their shows.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:35 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:

You keep saying Dopesmoker is more acclaimed, but I really don't see it. Music nerds and hipsters on RYM might like it more, most likely because it's cool and hip to listen to one-song-albums with themes surrounding the journey of pot smoking aliens, but there is a reason why Sleep still focuses more on Holy Mountain when they play live, and that's because that's what their fans want to hear. Not only this, but Holy Mountains is the genre defining album, and most definitely one of the most, if not the most influential stoner doom album there is. It was also the first they released out of the two. So sure, retrospectively, music nerds are bringing back attention on Dopesmoker, but I can't imagine Sleep playing an entire set without a single song from Holy Mountain, while they can still easily play just a few riffs from Dopesmokers during and encore and fans will still turn up to their shows.

"Music nerds and hipsters on RYM might like it more", "it's cool and hip to listen to one-song-albums with themes surrounding the journey of pot smoking"... Do you even read yourself? Get off your high horse.

Besides, most of what you said is made up. Dopesmoker is their 4th more played song at shows. They only played 2 songs from Holy Mountain more than Dopesmoker and the website also has setlists from before Dopesmoker so it's only logical those two songs were played more. https://www.setlist.fm/stats/sleep-7bd68a00.html

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:31 pm 

Like others have said, I don't think the material would work particularly well live unless they were doing some kind of specific set themed around it. Maybe if they went full Sunn O))) and filled the venue with smoke, then turned all their amplifiers up to eleven it'd work? Throw a couple songs from Vol. 1 on the end as a encore?

I don't even think Sleep would be all that interested in playing the entirety of Dopesmoker, let alone a paying audience there to see stuff like Dragonaut.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:07 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
"Music nerds and hipsters on RYM might like it more", "it's cool and hip to listen to one-song-albums with themes surrounding the journey of pot smoking"... Do you even read yourself? Get off your high horse.

Actually address the content of my post please. I'm not mocking anyone. I'm just saying that looking at stats from RYM and MA reviews is a cool little metric, but it's not everything. Your going to get a different read on the situation if you look at different variables. We're just having a conversation here. Calm down.

Reply to topic