Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 139
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:07 pm 
 

So, recently Artillery released their new album X, their tenth album, and a fitting name I suppose. However, thinking about it, there are SO many albums named X, whether they are their 10th album or not. X is just a metal sounding number I suppose! So I went into the advanced search, looked for exact matches for X, searched for EPs and Albums, and it turns out there are 26!

That got me thinking, what are some of the most common album names ever? Can we pass up X's 26? I searched 13 and there are 21 albums with that name, while XIII has 18. The number 21, on the other hand, only has a measly one! 666 comes close with 24 entries.

Are there any common album names that can challenge these? I could only think of numbers, but there has to be some common words. Metal has 18 exact hits. Can we find any others that enter the 20s?
_________________
The Great Southern Threadkill

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10660
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:27 pm 
 

13 should have 1 more if you count Megadeth's Th1rt3en, which c'mon, is basically calling it 13 but trying to be kewl doing it.

I'll contribute "Hell", which has 16.

But if you really want to test the search, type in "I" (with exact matches checked). Common letter, roman numeral for 1, etc. Guess how many albums + eps?

224

I haven't done any further searching after seeing that. I don't think any other common album title beats it.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Bloodstone
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:48 am
Posts: 451
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:29 am 
 

On top of my head I can name four albums titled 'Resurrection' that I've listened to a bunch: Halford, Chimaira, Celtic Legacy, Galneryus. Searching the album title on here revealed a whopping 114 releases by that name, including some well known artists like Operation: Mindcrime (Geoff Tate), Michael Schenker, Venom and (to hardcore power metal fans) Stormwind. Yeah, probably time to retire that one.
_________________
True pioneers leave everything behind

Top
 Profile  
Zerberus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 1780
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:34 am 
 

I'd be interested in seeing which titles are common with more than like 3 or 4 words. There's bound to be a few out there.
_________________
TONEwood Music: Buy tapes, live forever
Listen to BONEJAMMER

Top
 Profile  
Death Mantra
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:52 pm
Posts: 179
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:49 am 
 

"Shadows of the Past" is pretty common.

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 1844
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:30 am 
 

Does the combination of most common band name + 'self titled' album name outstrip the 224 for "I" above ? I'm not sure how to search the archive to work that out, but it's the only other way I can think of beating that one.
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads |

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 2369
Location: The 9th Circle of Hollola
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:04 am 
 

'Fallen' is quite common.

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 2637
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:00 am 
 

"Tower/towers of silence" or any of it's variations (dakhma, dokhma, doongerwadi). The "Parsi funerary tower erected on a hill for the disposal of the dead according to the Zoroastrian rite".

Top
 Profile  
Space_alligator
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:43 am
Posts: 408
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:10 am 
 

OzzyApu wrote:

I'll contribute "Hell", which has 16.



Do words translated count?

Helvete and infernum add 9 more to hell...
_________________
Ultraboris wrote:
dunno who the fuckhead is who gave the Master of Puppets a zero but damn I'd kick him in the jawnuts any day.

Top
 Profile  
lordcatfish
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 830
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:42 am 
 

Just browsing the newest releases and saw an album called From the Ashes. Struck me as something that's probably a common album name, so had a look and there's 16 full lengths with that exact title (and an additional 3 with a very minor variation). Quite a few EPs and demos too.
_________________
last.fm

Top
 Profile  
wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:17 pm
Posts: 654
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:47 am 
 

There are 30 using just the word Death. Guess death is pretty popular in metal.
_________________
dheacock's wrote:
Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Top
 Profile  
DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 1048
Location: Switzerland
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:01 am 
 

M-A shows us 596 entries for album titles beginning with "Dawn of..."
_________________
______In Marble Halls Of Falling Snow______

Top
 Profile  
laxskinn
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:12 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:33 am 
 

Methuen wrote:
Does the combination of most common band name + 'self titled' album name outstrip the 224 for "I" above ? I'm not sure how to search the archive to work that out, but it's the only other way I can think of beating that one.

The most common name is "Legion" right? That's 42 albums

Top
 Profile  
wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:17 pm
Posts: 654
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:36 am 
 

There are 10 in the archives using just Fuck You. After that other variations of Fuck You. Fuck You We Play Metal, God Bless & Fuck You, Fuck You and Your Cheetos.
_________________
dheacock's wrote:
Quote:
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Top
 Profile  
Radulfr
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:30 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 am 
 

Maybe it's too broad, but anything with "the night" in it. I searched and got 527 results

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 3219
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:45 am 
 

IV is super common.

Top
 Profile  
draconiondevil
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:21 pm
Posts: 145
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:10 am 
 

OzzyApu wrote:
13 should have 1 more if you count Megadeth's Th1rt3en, which c'mon, is basically calling it 13 but trying to be kewl doing it.

I'll contribute "Hell", which has 16.

But if you really want to test the search, type in "I" (with exact matches checked). Common letter, roman numeral for 1, etc. Guess how many albums + eps?

224

I haven't done any further searching after seeing that. I don't think any other common album title beats it.


lol Black Sabbath, Megadeth and Six Feet Under have an album called “13” or at least pronounced “13” in the case of Megadeth.

Top
 Profile  
Miikja
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:36 pm
Posts: 166
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:27 pm 
 

548 entries with "best of" in there. Sorry, couldn't not mention it :D
_________________
Akelei - atmospheric doom
akelei.org

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 659
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:54 pm 
 

Miikja wrote:
548 entries with "best of" in there. Sorry, couldn't not mention it :D


Surprisingly, only 226 "Live". BUT! 7721 albums with the world "live" in it.

If I didn't screw my search, I seldom use the Advanced search function.

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1606
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:14 pm 
 

70 called 'Reflections'.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10039
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:03 pm 
 

Doing a database search, the most common #1 release title is...


....



"Demo"
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10039
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 pm 
 

More seriously: the majority of the top list are stuff titled Demo, Demo 2004, Promo, etc. with a few Untitled, Live, I, II, X, EP, Rehearsal, etc.

The first actual word that doesn't fit any of the above category that has the most hits is "Reborn", followed by "Resurrection". Here's the top titles, filtering out the generic categories mentioned earlier, that have ~40 hits or so as of this writing *

Reborn
Resurrection
The Awakening
Awakening
Rebirth
The Beginning
Requiem **
Void
Ascension
Oblivion **
Nemesis **
Inferno
The End
Rise
War
Reflections
Sacrifice
Revenge
Redemption
Genesis
Silence
Apocalypse
Ritual
Desolation
Memento Mori
Isolation
Evolution
Catharsis
Nightmare
Visions
Winter
Revelation
Alone
Lost
Insomnia
Demolition
Fragments
Ashes
Metamorphosis
Virus
First Blood
Ragnarök
Anthology
Solitude
Monolith
Insanity
Hate
Damnation
Wasteland
Darkness
Fear
Shadows
The Beginning of the End
Extinction
From the Ashes
Memories
Salvation
A New Beginning
Dystopia
Downfall
Revolution
Unleashed
Ruins
Abyss
Revelations
666
Prologue
Vengeance
Demon
Alive
Origin
Time
Legion **
Escape
Burn
Beyond
One
Origins
Immortal
Utopia
Purgatory
Plague
Zero
Existence
Legacy
Decay
Doomsday
2012
Eclipse
Equilibrium
Transcendence
Evilution ***
Misanthropy
Broken
Asylum
Demons
Eternal
Eternity
Infected
Hell on Earth
Fallen
Collapse
Awake
Rising
Dawn
No Way Out
Seven
Fire
Agony
Heavy Metal ****
Descent


* I ran the query and forgot to filter out pending bands, so the counts aren't 100% accurate, but they should be close enough.
** Also comically overused band names!
*** This one is kinda cringe, not gonna lie...
**** Surprised it took this long for it to show up!
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 659
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:25 pm 
 

So you're saying my band Nemesis Legion's first album titled Reborn Evilution might not be all that original?

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1606
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:51 pm 
 

No albumtitles including the word monkeyslut? Damn.

Top
 Profile  
Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 pm
Posts: 139
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:38 pm 
 

draconiondevil wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
13 should have 1 more if you count Megadeth's Th1rt3en, which c'mon, is basically calling it 13 but trying to be kewl doing it.

I'll contribute "Hell", which has 16.

But if you really want to test the search, type in "I" (with exact matches checked). Common letter, roman numeral for 1, etc. Guess how many albums + eps?

224

I haven't done any further searching after seeing that. I don't think any other common album title beats it.


lol Black Sabbath, Megadeth and Six Feet Under have an album called “13” or at least pronounced “13” in the case of Megadeth.


Adding 13 and XIII is going to get at least 30+, including Megadeth's TH13RT1313N or however it's spelled lmao

This threat is super enlightening, somehow I missed a lot of amazing choices. I wasn't even in the ball park of the best answer
_________________
The Great Southern Threadkill

Top
 Profile  
MawBTS
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am
Posts: 930
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:36 am 
 

[quote]*** This one is kinda cringe, not gonna lie...[quote]

Nothing's ever gonna top Carpe DiEnd.

Top
 Profile  
Firmament1
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:40 am
Posts: 36
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:23 am 
 

"Origins". 40 albums on here that are called just that, with no other words.

Top
 Profile  
DeadKid
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:51 am
Posts: 284
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:24 am 
 

Morrigan wrote:
** Also comically overused band names!

Might be time for an update to that! According to search results, Abaddon has surpassed Requiem & Oblivion. I also thought Maelstrom had gone down and earned an award for maximum false, before realising the exact search doesn't pick up Maelström.

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1606
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:29 am 
 

How many bands have made the demo joke DEMOlition?

Top
 Profile  
Miikja
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:36 pm
Posts: 166
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:57 am 
 

Helvede wrote:
How many bands have made the demo joke DEMOlition?


Guilty, although in our defense it was 1995 and no way of checking if other bands had beaten us to it. We thought the name was so good in fact, we released Demolition, Demolition II and Demolition III, all demo tapes. Then in '99 we made a demo on cd and called it i999 because that reads 666! upside down. Genius.
_________________
Akelei - atmospheric doom
akelei.org

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 659
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:44 am 
 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
*** This one is kinda cringe, not gonna lie...
Quote:

Nothing's ever gonna top Carpe DiEnd.


I think MyGrain is a runner up to that, but at least, there aren't 40 bands/albums named that.

Top
 Profile  
Helvede
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 6:28 pm
Posts: 1606
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:23 am 
 

Miikja wrote:
Helvede wrote:
How many bands have made the demo joke DEMOlition?


Guilty, although in our defense it was 1995 and no way of checking if other bands had beaten us to it. We thought the name was so good in fact, we released Demolition, Demolition II and Demolition III, all demo tapes. Then in '99 we made a demo on cd and called it i999 because that reads 666! upside down. Genius.


Haha that's a good story!

Here I am with a stupid user name. Early on my time on the internet back in late 90's I thought it was fun to create profiles with the username Helvede (meaning Hell). And now 20+ years in...sigh

Top
 Profile  
laxskinn
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:12 pm
Posts: 190
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:26 am 
 

DeadKid wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
** Also comically overused band names!

Might be time for an update to that! According to search results, Abaddon has surpassed Requiem & Oblivion. I also thought Maelstrom had gone down and earned an award for maximum false, before realising the exact search doesn't pick up Maelström.

We just got another Maelstrom. They're not going down without a fight!
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ma ... 3540488616

Top
 Profile  
peterott
Metalhead

Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 4:34 pm
Posts: 1233
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:44 am 
 

What about "I". "II" or "III" ?

"I" is 330x (Advanced Search, exact match)
"II" is 335x
"III" is 218x
"IV" already down to 94x
_________________
Tradelist: www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=10942
=> also MORE good traders noted there. Latest ones: 666Cadillac666 / Vampallens / lordrul

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 1844
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 11:32 am 
 

Hm, there are 502 entries for 'Oblivion' or 'x of Oblivion, Oblivion of y', etc.\

https://www.metal-archives.com/search?searchString=oblivion&type=album_title

There must be about 20 called 'Into Oblivion' in there alone.
_________________
Last.fm | Goodreads |

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Ferbasach, DoomMetalAlchemist, Evil_Obsidian, MetallicaTrueFan, Runko, snarg and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group