Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:29 pm 

Well Mustaine just confirmed today that they've hired someone to re-record the bass tracks for the new album, so all of Ellefson's work is being scrapped.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dave-mustaine-confirms-david-ellefson-will-not-appear-on-upcoming-megadeth-album/

Quote:
"I just wanna thank you for all the kinds words and support as we get ready for this next tour and continue to hunt for a new bass player," the MEGADETH leader said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET). "We are making progress. The record's being completed, and we're gonna have someone coming in in a couple of weeks to replace the bass tracks that we had. Which should be relatively quick because the person we're talking to is a stellar bass player. And hopefully this will be an ongoing thing after the recording. Or we will find someone prior to the recording that will be our permanent guy going forward."

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:13 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Well Mustaine just confirmed today that they've hired someone to re-record the bass tracks for the new album, so all of Ellefson's work is being scrapped.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dave-mustaine-confirms-david-ellefson-will-not-appear-on-upcoming-megadeth-album/

Quote:
"I just wanna thank you for all the kinds words and support as we get ready for this next tour and continue to hunt for a new bass player," the MEGADETH leader said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET). "We are making progress. The record's being completed, and we're gonna have someone coming in in a couple of weeks to replace the bass tracks that we had. Which should be relatively quick because the person we're talking to is a stellar bass player. And hopefully this will be an ongoing thing after the recording. Or we will find someone prior to the recording that will be our permanent guy going forward."

Mustaine is such a fucking buffoon. What is that even supposed to achieve? Who is he even doing this for? Nobody asked for this. His whole holier than thou attitude is oozing pretentiousness and narcissism.

metalkeith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:41 pm 

Lame. A big part of my thought process on this was "at least he'll be on the record." It's a shame he'd been back a decade and only played on one good album in that time.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 am 

yeah this sucks.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:19 am 

I know Mustaine is habitually a douche, but this is just a bizarre dick move.

Hopefully the album tanks.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:46 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
bizarre dick move

I thought this was Ellefson's forte.

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:20 pm 

Dave seems to have confused Christianity with wokeness. Can he bring in Meghan Markle to do female gothic vocals?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 pm 

megadeth93 wrote:
Dave seems to have confused Christianity with wokeness. Can he bring in Meghan Markle to do female gothic vocals?

Is your Britishness that overt that you have to throw in a jab at Meghan Markle where it hardly seems appropriate? Yikes.

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:42 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
megadeth93 wrote:

Is your Britishness that overt that you have to throw in a jab at Meghan Markle where it hardly seems appropriate? Yikes.

I'm actually of Croatian heritage. It was meant as a joke. Sorry if I offended you. But the word "yikes" is very offensive to me. We don't use it over here.

TheAllNightRocker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Wow look how surprised I am can’t you tell how surprised I am at this incredibly surprising news?

Also, as cool as it would be, I think Newsted joining Megadeth is highly unlikely. Who ultimately knows, though?

Newsted has publicly said he is physically unable to play in a metal band anymore

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:21 am 

As a fan I think the removal of Ellefson from the new album is a weird one. He is so much connected to Megadeth it seems over the top to remove him when it seems he already recorded everything. However as a person I can understand why you wouldn't want someone you've had a falling out with on an album if its possible to remove them before the release.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am 

TheAllNightRocker wrote:
Subrick wrote:
Wow look how surprised I am can’t you tell how surprised I am at this incredibly surprising news?

Also, as cool as it would be, I think Newsted joining Megadeth is highly unlikely. Who ultimately knows, though?

Newsted has publicly said he is physically unable to play in a metal band anymore

Yeah, there is a video of him talking about his addiction to painkillers (not the album, i'm sure he hasn't kicked that addiction yet), and how his body simply cannot play that type of music anymore.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:20 am 

InnesI wrote:
As a fan I think the removal of Ellefson from the new album is a weird one. He is so much connected to Megadeth it seems over the top to remove him when it seems he already recorded everything. However as a person I can understand why you wouldn't want someone you've had a falling out with on an album if its possible to remove them before the release.

It's a royalties thing perhaps? Since Megadeth is a band that's big enough to worry about such things, doesn't it make some sort of sense that if he has no documented contributions to the album, he can't claim otherwise. And he has sued Mustaine in the past before so this is preventative, I guess.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am 

I think keeping Junior around would definitely make for a lot of weird things to answer for, and Dave is super business minded in that regard. Even if the women who he filmed his dong for are all over 18, a bunch of folks are still going to have seen him flogging his meat online and I imagine that would come up a ton during concert tours and all. Megadeth is a wholesome band, they sing about how the government is going to lock us all in boxes and how immigrants are creeping in and invading America, we can't associate that with jacking off!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:26 am 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
I think keeping Junior around would definitely make for a lot of weird things to answer for, and Dave is super business minded in that regard. Even if the women who he filmed his dong for are all over 18, a bunch of folks are still going to have seen him flogging his meat online and I imagine that would come up a ton during concert tours and all. Megadeth is a wholesome band, they sing about how the government is going to lock us all in boxes and how immigrants are creeping in and invading America, we can't associate that with jacking off!

I'm actually laughing out loud!

Megadeth is known for being that band from the 80's with the asshole frontman (and a ton of admirable lead guitarists). Mustaine used to say really awful things about other bands back in the day. Like when they opened for Aerosmith and he was like "they should be opening for us cause we all know they're on their last legs" or something to the effect.

But I take your point.

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:28 am 

He just has learned to hide his assholery behind more business lingo. Still doesn't stop him though, I remember seeing him at a concert once and he bitched out that someone working for the venue crew should be fired for what I assume is some small mistake. Dave's a real populist champ for the little guy y'know.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:34 am 

"that guitarist from Queensryche looks like Jamie Lee Curtis" and "I liked it when Tom Araya was sucking my dick" are some other nuggets

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:28 pm 

I couldn't be fucked working with a guy like Dave Mustaine, dude seems really controlling as hell.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:59 pm 

Cheapsteaks wrote:
He just has learned to hide his assholery behind more business lingo. Still doesn't stop him though, I remember seeing him at a concert once and he bitched out that someone working for the venue crew should be fired for what I assume is some small mistake. Dave's a real populist champ for the little guy y'know.

Was that the time he uploaded the really confusing "apology" video online ranting about the guy, then took like 8 attempts to successfully press the "stop recording" button?

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 pm 

Joey DeMaio should play in Megadeth. Would love to see what insanity would come out of pairing those two up.
Ellefson should play in Metallica.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:22 pm 

I guess I'm just not nearly as hung up about this as most because the last twenty years have given some of the blandest, forgettable metal of any band with name recognition, much less that with Megadeth's stature. Let's face facts, Ellefson has been a complete non-factor ever since he rejoined. His role as a co-songwriter was reduced to next to nothing, his bass was dialed way back on the last few albums compared to his presence on the early classics and even then, he's wasn't nearly as adventurous or creative as he used to be. For all intents and purposes, he could've been practically any other session member the whole time, anyway. His return was purely a fan service move and what has it really given us in return?

As far as the situation that got him canned in the first place, ok, maybe it wasn't illegal if what's been said bears out as fact regarding consenting age, but it's still pretty fucking gross and our bars, our standards should be at least a little higher than, "Well, TECHNICALLY...," especially when one's side gig involves dictating morality from a pulpit and the end of a pointed finger while making bank for doing so.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:49 am 

^Exactly.

Mustaine is still a raging hypocrite though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
I guess I'm just not nearly as hung up about this as most because the last twenty years have given some of the blandest, forgettable metal of any band with name recognition, much less that with Megadeth's stature. Let's face facts, Ellefson has been a complete non-factor ever since he rejoined. His role as a co-songwriter was reduced to next to nothing, his bass was dialed way back on the last few albums compared to his presence on the early classics and even then, he's wasn't nearly as adventurous or creative as he used to be. For all intents and purposes, he could've been practically any other session member the whole time, anyway. His return was purely a fan service move and what has it really given us in return?

As far as the situation that got him canned in the first place, ok, maybe it wasn't illegal if what's been said bears out as fact regarding consenting age, but it's still pretty fucking gross and our bars, our standards should be at least a little higher than, "Well, TECHNICALLY...," especially when one's side gig involves dictating morality from a pulpit and the end of a pointed finger while making bank for doing so.

This is about the best way to sum it up. You'll always see the "technically he didn't break any laws" shit as if that's the only metric of how we should feel about anything.

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:45 am 

Empyreal wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

This is about the best way to sum it up. You'll always see the "technically he didn't break any laws" shit as if that's the only metric of how we should feel about anything.

Strong posts ^

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:12 am 

His purpose in Megadeth since he rejoined has been to praise Mustaine in the media.

Nicencold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:14 pm 

Mustaine owns the band, so he can do whatever he likes, but for me it's a scumbag move. For someone who is still crying about being kicked out Metallica, he sure seems to enjoy going through band members. My take is that he is an extreme narcissist who is plagued by insecurity. Dave Ellefson's return to the band probably seemed good on paper when Mustaine was trying to rekindle the interest in his band post "arm injury," but despite his new religion he was probably enjoying having Ellefson back in an employee-type subservient role. That worked until Ellefson started branching out more, writing books, collaborating, opening coffee shops, etc. I surmise that all ticked off Mustaine as Ellefson's actual writing input was negligible, and the success of those ventures was based in part on Ellefson's continuing Megadeth membership. Of course Ellefson set himself up with this dumb jack off vid, but Mustaine didn't need much incentive to press the execute button.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:55 pm 

*necrobump alert

this surfaced today but i think it might be an april fool's:
https://www.revolvermag.com/music/dave- ... -new-album

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:02 pm 

DiGiorgio was the most commonly theorized option so I don't find it too unlikely, however the guest appearances he mentions by Ice T and Sammy Hagar sound a bit more far-fetched lol. Could still be real I guess though idk, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:13 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
DiGiorgio was the most commonly theorized option so I don't find it too unlikely, however the guest appearances he mentions by Ice T and Sammy Hagar sound a bit more far-fetched lol. Could still be real I guess though idk, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'd love to hear DiGiorgio play on a Megadeth record.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:42 pm 

DanielG06 wrote:
Metallic Shock wrote:

I'd love to hear DiGiorgio play on a Megadeth record.

It would have been interesting 30-something years ago, but Megadeth has not released anything great since The System Has Failed, imo. DiGiorgio's talent would most likely be wasted here. But hey! I'd be more then happy to be proved wrong. Peak Megadeth with DiGiorgio would most definitely sound great!

Megatokyo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:17 pm 

Just listened to the remake of Wake Up Dead they released today.

If this is gonna be representative of the new album, I think DiGiorgio's talents are gonna be wasted.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:18 pm 

Yeah that was bad

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:24 am 

Lamb of God covered it and Dave did guest vocals. Its not a "remake"

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:21 am 

Sucks. Their best stuff was created while Ellefson presented.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:44 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Lamb of God covered it and Dave did guest vocals. Its not a "remake"

I was going to say this. It's still shit though.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:25 pm 

I'm so sick of these modern bands playing classics in lower keys because they think it makes them sound "heavier." Fuck you no it doesn't. It makes them sound dumb. Most of these classic thrash bands are falling for this shit too. There is no reason for Destruction and Exodus to be playing detuned.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:53 pm 

I imagine for Mustaine it's largely because his voice is shot (higher notes particularly).

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:17 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

Megadeth is known for being that band from the 80's with the asshole frontman (and a ton of admirable lead guitarists). Mustaine used to say really awful things about other bands back in the day. Like when they opened for Aerosmith and he was like "they should be opening for us cause we all know they're on their last legs" or something to the effect.

Dave IS know for slagging off other bands, which makes him Thrash Metal's Kevin Dubrow. And he's known for being an ASS, which also makes him Thrash Metal's Ted Nugent!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:23 pm 

DeadKid wrote:
InnesI wrote:
DeadKid wrote:
After the initial story, more evidence of him allegedly messaging even younger girls came to light. Creeping on their photos a lot, calling them pretty or cute etc.

Source?

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/m ... e-11557312
Quote:
Instagram user @woahworst also posted multiple Stories screenshotting allegations about Ellefson saying inappropriate things to girls as young as 11.

Upon reading that, I found examples on this Instagram account, with the last post being videos of scrolling up and down the messages to add weight to their credibility. Still not impossible that they're faked of course, but she would've had to go to much greater lengths to do so.

EUGH! Regardless of the legality of the original scandal, this is just fucking vile. :puke:

Helvede wrote:
Joey DeMaio should play in Megadeth. Would love to see what insanity would come out of pairing those two up.

THIS however just made me howl-laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: They'd just be headbutting each other the whole show - The stage itself wouldn't be big enough!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3