Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:34 am 

Title is self-explanatory.

The fuck is this? The fuck is that? I feel like it's right in front of my face but I'm not cluing in.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:43 am 

Well, it's Prometheus alright. There's an eagle picking at his liver and all. Could be a painting by Jordaens (a wild guess), but it's heavily edited by Johan Hammarman (the man responsible for art direction).

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:09 am 

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:33 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

On this I can we what I'm looking at! On that cover, not so much! :lol:

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:33 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

On this I can we what I'm looking at! On that cover, not so much! :lol:

Same - I still had to do a few back-and-forths to put it all together. NOW I see it. Thanks for sharing that! I never would've figured it out otherwise as I'd been looking at that cover on and off for years now.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:55 am 

Wow. Mind = blown. I thought it was just some blotch of greys. I can't not see it now.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:03 pm 

Why did they decide to butcher it like that? The original painting would've made a badass album cover but I've never thought the actual cover was meant to be anything until now.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:23 pm 

Seriously- looking at the original painting underlines just how shitty of artwork it is. Crazy how the same band that has some of the greatest artwork of all time (In The Nightside Eclipse) also has this as a cover :lol:. Oh well, the music is what counts, and Prometheus is a damn good album.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:38 pm 

It fits the album if you ask me. I've listened to it several times and I can't remember a single riff.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:41 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Seriously- looking at the original painting underlines just how shitty of artwork it is. Crazy how the same band that has some of the greatest artwork of all time (In The Nightside Eclipse) also has this as a cover :lol:. Oh well, the music is what counts, and Prometheus is a damn good album.

Even the art for Anthems and IX Equilibrium is a bit hard to decipher at first until you just accept that it's a collage of different images mushed together. Though the 2017 version of the Anthems shirt did adjust the shading a little bit and it's easier to make out the details of the castle on the front. Prometheus' art looked like a clusterfuck though and even when I went back to this thread just now, I had to do a double-take again to see the image :lol:

But yeah. Damn good record.

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:41 pm 

I thought it was some kind of broken statue of some sort depicting Prometheus (I recognized the head shape) but never would have guessed the original artwork.

As I see it now, I believe the cover fits better with the music and the themes of the album than the original artwork does (a damn bleak and dark album). But I really like the album, so I'm a bit biased. It'd be great if Ihsahn were to release that atmospheric and cohesive again but...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 pm 

I just want to thank the OP. You really made me laugh. God bless you. :lol: :lol:

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:41 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
I just want to thank the OP. You really made me laugh. God bless you. :lol: :lol:

Just doin' my part, my dude :P

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:13 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
Why did they decide to butcher it like that? The original painting would've made a badass album cover but I've never thought the actual cover was meant to be anything until now.

Might be on to something...

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:54 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

That looks fucking amazing and they should've done that instead.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:35 pm 

Yep, that version is amazing. I agree the original may be a bit too "bright" but this is perfect and 100x better than the actual cover (IMO).

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:46 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Yep, that version is amazing. I agree the original may be a bit too "bright" but this is perfect and 100x better than the actual cover (IMO).

Agreed wholeheartedly. I was looking through the other versions on the MA page, and some have different levels of brightness, shadowing and colour tint which does make the initial image stand out more easily. That said, I'd seen these same variations for years and still could never figure it out. If that regular coloured variation was the actual cover, it might be my favourite album art from them altogether! (though I admit it's hard to beat Nightside).

Space_Alligator, did you edit that yourself, or is that from a legit pressing somewhere? It looks super authentic!

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:48 pm 

I mean for fucks sakes the actual cover looks like one of those dot paintings you stare at for 6 hours until you see a spaceship.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:39 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

Space_Alligator, did you edit that yourself, or is that from a legit pressing somewhere? It looks super authentic!

Just a edit.

Might print it out and stick it on the album haha

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:20 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Curious_dead wrote:

Just a edit.

Might print it out and stick it on the album haha

Damn, dude!

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:46 pm 

Space_alligator wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

That looks amazing!

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:34 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Yeah, but all the other Emperor covers look pretty muddy and chaotic, so the original version still fits in better with that, IMO.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:13 pm 

OP asking the questions we were all afraid to ask. Cheers! Also, agreed that they should have just used the unaltered painting for the art.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:53 am 

draconiondevil wrote:

After Nightside, the album covers took a huge swandive. Which I don't fully understand. With music as epic and grandiose as theirs, you'd think they would want artwork to reflect it.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:06 am 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
draconiondevil wrote:

After Nightside, the album covers took a huge swandive. Which I don't fully understand. With music as epic and grandiose as theirs, you'd think they would want artwork to reflect it.

imo those shitty post-ITNE artworks are perfectly reflective of the swandive their music took.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Reply to topic