Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ragemanistan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:53 am 

Just watched the awesome version of Call Of K'tulu off of S&M and followed that up with this gem of a performance.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:42 am 

Load is half-good, half-bad. Songs I like: The House That Jack Built, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing, Hero of the Day, Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn. Mama Said is quite good too.

ReLoad is somewhat worse. The Memory Remains and The Unforgiven II I can like. Prince Charming, Attitude, Low Man's Lyric and Fixxxer are okay. Where the Wild Things Are used to be cool to me some 20 years ago.

So here you are. A totally poser of a message!

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:12 am 

Where the Wild Things Are is great. So is Hero of the Day. It’s not a controversial opinion at all to like some of those songs.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:24 am 

It'd be easier to name the songs that do suck. A lot of good stuff on those albums.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:25 am 

yeah, plenty of good songs on those albums - maybe enough to compile one really good album out of. the problem is that there's so much bad stuff mixed in

i think the best ones are maybe fuel, king nothing, and bleeding me off the top of my head

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:05 am 

I can't hear "Fuel" without wanting to furiously turn the radio off like it's a Bob Seger song on the radio.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:07 am 

Once one has accepted that those are no thrash metal albums, you can find some solid southern rock tunes on both records. It's true that one single release with the greatest cuts would have been better than two albums. I prefer ReLoad over Load and I have to admit that I revisit those records more often than Hardwired to Self-Destruct, Lulu, Death Magnetic and even Metallica. In my opinion, a good track list combining both records could look like this:

1. Fuel 04:30
2. King Nothing 05:28
3. Hero of the Day 04:22
4. The Memory Remains 04:39
5. The House Jack Built 06:39
6. The Unforgiven II 06:36
7. Ain't My Bitch 05:04
8. Better than You 05:22
9. Where the Wild Things Are 06:54
10. Low Man's Lyric 07:37

Overrated tracks from that era are the sleep-inducing single ''Until It Sleeps'' and the overlong epics ''The Outlaw Torn'' as well as ''Fixxxer''. There are also some bad tunes with no redeeming qualities whatsoever such as ''Cure'' and ''Bad Seed''. Overall, it's a quite mixed bag but one has to give credit to the band for not simply repeating the successful formula of the self-titled record and walking off the beaten path instead.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:08 am 

Never listened much to Metallica, but I kinda like The Memory Remains for some reason. It's not a great song, but it's different at least.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:08 am 

I am in the minority of people that like Reload A LOT more. At the risk of getting flamed, Reload is one of my favourite Metallica albums. I think I'd rank it 4th (behind Justice, Puppets and Lightning). I find the last run of songs on Reload to be the most underrated thing in their catalog.

Prince Charming is in my top 10 Metallica songs of all time, and no one ever talks about it. Thing is a motherfucker. That chorus? C'mon! How has that NOT been played live? It would have particularly crushed with Jason in the band with the "HEY! Look it's Me!"

Where The Wild Things Are is super fucking underrated as well.
Low Man's Lyrics is the best of the 3 true Metallica ballads, imo.
Fixxxer is ridiculously good.

As for Load, I do like it, but a lot less. The album has too much filler for me, but in terms of underrated songs; The House Jack Built is great. I've always thought Wasting My Hate was badass, and another Metallica song people never seem to talk about, Thorn Within, is pretty damn good too. (Even though they would eventually rip themselves off with Here Comes Revenge. Go and listen to them back-to-back). Load does have one of my most hated Metallica songs on it (Poor Twisted Me). Ronnie is pretty bad, too. Never really fucked with 2x4.

In terms of "the hits", seeing The Memory Remains live is always a total treat. Fuel may have overstayed it's welcome in the setlist. I really wish they'd start playing Until It Sleeps again, but Lars doesn't even bring a goddamn ride cymbal with him anymore. It was really cool to catch Unforgiven II live when I did, because they probably won't ever play that one again.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:45 am 

I'd go with The House That Jack Built from Load and Devil's Dance from Reload. Probably my favorite two songs from those albums.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:47 am 

I think Load is a great album, much better than anything that came after it to be honest which is mostly Metallica trying to recapture something they really cant. Ronnie doesn't really "fit" IMO but it doesn't suck.

Re-Load is good but has some skippers.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:31 am 

Those two albums are great IMO. I've been revisiting them every now and then, and I find myself to enjoy them all the time. I think they aged perfectly well, in contrast to the Black album. And yeah, Fixxxer is a killer tune! Just play it as loudest as you can! \m/

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:34 am 

Here's my top-5 songs from Load and Reload:

1. Bleeding Me
2. Wasting My Hate
3. The Outlaw Torn
4. Fuel
5. Low Man's Lyric

There's more good ones on them albums, but also some crap ones.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:41 am 

Bleeding me is not only my favourite song from this era but one of my favourite Metallica songs ever. It sounded even better on the first S&M with the orchestra. In fact all the Load era stuff sounded great with the orchestra.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:41 am 

I honestly can't, both these albums were even worse than St. Anger imho. At least St. Anger had Sweet Amber and The Unnamed Feeling.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm 

"The Outlaw Torn" is one of the best Metallica songs ever, especially the uncut version with the crazy acid jam taking up the last 3 minutes of the song. "Devil's Dance" is also an A tier song from that period.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:13 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I find the last run of songs on Reload to be the most underrated thing in their catalog.

Shame they had to go and drop "Attitude" in that run. Like you, I do love "Prince Charming". It's got a similar feel to "Creeping Death" at times.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:10 pm 

I like "The Outlaw Torn" a lot

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:17 pm 

I think Load is pretty good. Reload has much less good songs.

Load

The House that Jack Built
Hero of the Day (honestly, this is a real favourite of mine)
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
The Outlaw Torn

Reload

The Memory Remains
The Unforgiven 2

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:27 pm 

I like the Load albums, the first being the better one. You have to accept them for what they are, hard rock, not metal. A lot of people were still hoping Metallica could pipe out another Master of Puppets but they went with their evolution as a band and changed. I don't think it was quite the sellout that the s/t Black album was, it was just them wanting to expand on their musical interests.

I'd rather them continue to do things they want to do than chase their tails trying and failing to get back to their roots. Just my opinion.

ChoujuX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:42 pm 

Attitude is one of my favorites. Reload is a very solid album.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:12 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
I like the Load albums, the first being the better one. You have to accept them for what they are, hard rock, not metal. A lot of people were still hoping Metallica could pipe out another Master of Puppets but they went with their evolution as a band and changed. I don't think it was quite the sellout that the s/t Black album was, it was just them wanting to expand on their musical interests.

I'd rather them continue to do things they want to do than chase their tails trying and failing to get back to their roots. Just my opinion.

This 100%. I think that Load probably got a lot of shit at the time bc people were still pissed about the Black Album and saw these two as even more of a slap in the face since they aren’t even metal, rather than trying to look at the album’s content objectively. Sure, some of the deep cuts suck (particularly on ReLoad), but that’s kinda the nature of the beast when you release ~140 minutes of new music in the space of a year.

To actually answer the question in the title, I like a lot of songs off the two - if I had to pick favourites: Ain’t My Bitch, The House Jack Built, King Nothing, Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn. It’s been a while since I listened to ReLoad but my favourites off of that one are The Memory Remains, Fuel, and Carpe Diem Baby

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:28 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:

Agreed. Load and Reload may not be the best, but as hard rock albums, they're pretty great, with the former being in my Top 10 Hard Rock Albums.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 pm 

Where the Wild Things Are was a good song. I remember that one in particular.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:31 pm 

I like both Loads. They have ups and downs but I don't think either of them has any song that I would describe as sucking.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:46 pm 

jimbies wrote:
I am in the minority of people that like Reload A LOT more. At the risk of getting flamed, Reload is one of my favourite Metallica albums. I think I'd rank it 4th (behind Justice, Puppets and Lightning). I find the last run of songs on Reload to be the most underrated thing in their catalog.

Prince Charming is in my top 10 Metallica songs of all time, and no one ever talks about it. Thing is a motherfucker. That chorus? C'mon! How has that NOT been played live? It would have particularly crushed with Jason in the band with the "HEY! Look it's Me!"

Where The Wild Things Are is super fucking underrated as well.
Low Man's Lyrics is the best of the 3 true Metallica ballads, imo.
Fixxxer is ridiculously good.

As for Load, I do like it, but a lot less. The album has too much filler for me, but in terms of underrated songs; The House Jack Built is great. I've always thought Wasting My Hate was badass, and another Metallica song people never seem to talk about, Thorn Within, is pretty damn good too. (Even though they would eventually rip themselves off with Here Comes Revenge. Go and listen to them back-to-back). Load does have one of my most hated Metallica songs on it (Poor Twisted Me). Ronnie is pretty bad, too. Never really fucked with 2x4.

In terms of "the hits", seeing The Memory Remains live is always a total treat. Fuel may have overstayed it's welcome in the setlist. I really wish they'd start playing Until It Sleeps again, but Lars doesn't even bring a goddamn ride cymbal with him anymore. It was really cool to catch Unforgiven II live when I did, because they probably won't ever play that one again.

ReLoad is not really my favorite Metallica album and I like Load much more than you seem to do, but other than that, I pretty much agree with what you said. I think there are lots of Metallica fans who have a special fondness for ReLoad due to its slightly weirder vibe, but perhaps they don't bother to make a point of it, because they've learned how tiresome the hysteria about "selling out" can get and probably no longer care to take part in that kind of discussion. One thing to be noted is that ReLoad also has some of the best vocal melodies Hetfield's ever come up with. You can hear echos of it in the two new songs on S&M too. Pretty refreshing to see a post like yours.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:03 pm 

I didn't really care for either album, though there are a few decent songs on Load like "Bleeding Me", "King Nothing" and "Ain't My Bitch". My view on the album has grown progressively more negative with each passing year, and I've been recently giving Reload another round of listens and am finding it to be almost as lousy as Lulu and St. Anger from a songwriting perspective (Reload has better musicianship and a better vocal performance). I guess the fact that I grew up in the 80s and was first exposed to them via ...And Justice For All has prejudiced me to a degree against most of their 90s stuff, combined with the fact that I played in a Metallica tribute band in high school during the 90s and got extremely sick of playing the then newer material (I began hating songs like "The Outlaw Torn" and "Fixxer" with a passion because of how long and bloated they were, when I wanted to do more of their faster material off of Kill 'Em All). I could probably still bang out half of the riffs on Reload despite having barely listened to it over the past 20 years due to how dumbed-down and repetitive they are.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:21 pm 

Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn are among Metallica's best ever songs as far as I'm concerned. I also think Carpe Diem Baby is pretty overlooked, the title certainly doesn't help but that riff set is so slinky.

My idealized Load/Re-Load combination track listing:
1) Ain't My Bitch
2) 2x4
3) King Nothing
4) Bleeding Me
5) Devil's Dance
6) Carpe Diem Baby
7) Hero of the Day
8) The Outlaw Torn

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:31 pm 

King Nothing and Hero of the Day are really the only ones that I like. In fact, I think that the live version of Hero...from the S&M album is beautifully played.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:27 pm 

I recall having quite a soft spot for a few tracks on 'Load'. Granted, it was the first 'metal' I heard as it came out when I was just getting into this music when I was 13 years old and I haven't listened to it for many years, but I remember preferring it to the black album.
As long as you ignore the band name on the cover, of course...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:17 pm 

"Aint my Bitch" and "Fuel" are tolerably decent heavy rock n' roll. "Memories Remain" is an okay ballad, at least I find it less boring than, say, "Nothing Else Matters" or any of the three tracks named "Unforgiven." These tracks are still a far cry from anything off of their first three albums, though, and the bulk of the tracks off of their most recent two full lengths is still better than those as well. But they are, as I mentioned, at least tolerably decent if not outright great.

The rest of them are, well, varying degrees of "Boring" to outright "Suck."

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:22 pm 

"Until It Sleeps." Pretty good 90s heavy/alternative song.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:30 pm 

all of the first half of Load + "The Outlaw Torn" is good

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:31 pm 

When I was younger, I used to hold the common opinion on all Metallica albums, like most people do, but ever since I learned to think for myself and most importantly, form my own opinions and keep an open mind, I became surprised to discover that Reload ended up being one of my favorite Metallica albums, like, I unironically actually think Reload is one of the better Metallica albums, and even prefer it over some of their more well-regarded albums from the 80s (with the exception of Ride the Lightning, which to me is the best they've been in that era, and the fact that most of their later albums just try to rehash it probably means I'm not alone on that thought), the songs usually don't overstay their welcome, the lyrics are usually more insightful as opposed to the trying to be badass in their thrash output (which doesn't work for me due to the band's image being anything but badass). There's also way more variation than any of their more praised albums. My favorite song from that album is actually Low Man's Lyric, it's such a relatable song about addiction, taking a way better approach on the subject than Master of Puppets, the lyrics are also way more effective sounding, it just sells the feeling of someone who's struggling so well. I also like how there's a hurdy gurdy in it.

The overall vibe in the album (well, both of them) is a lot more personal and honest, which I like. They deal with their struggles, the word choice is usually better than in their earlier lyrics, there's a more sober feel to it, which shows a maturing band (sure, there are some stinkers like Better Than You, but I never said the album was perfect, not even close).

Metallica was never the heaviest or fastest thrash metal band, and the older they get, the further away from that they'll be, just naturally, so honestly, seeing them branch out was actually pretty refreshing. They know how to make good songs, but they pad the hell out of them, which only becomes more noticeable when they're repeating the same choruses and riffs over and over again. There's no need for most of their songs to be 7 or 8 minutes long (the average thrash song is 3-5 minutes, and I think that's a fine length for most songs to show what they can offer without feeling like they're dragging on, 6+ minute songs should be more of an exception). They have a few touches to try to make these songs feel "progressive", but honestly, they're just long, they still have the average amount of riffs that other bands usually have, just spread over a longer timespan, which makes the songs overstay their welcome, too much of a good thing can be a bad thing, half of the songs on Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All have that problem. On a contrast to that, I think Reload is an example of simple, but effective. The band doesn't lend itself well to complex songs, due to their drummer being unable to play anything complex, making it jarring when they attempt that and the drums make the whole thing fall flat on its face, it just lacks energy in a genre where there are a lot of great drummers that give the genre its signature blood pumping pace, not to mention, their riffs can be pretty hit or miss compared to their contemporaries, sure their legendary thrash albums have great riffs, even if the songs are too bloated, but I still think they pale in comparison to bands like Overkill, Exodus, Annihilator and so on. So in contrast, in an album where they're just doing their own thing, while mixing hard rock with alternative rock and all types of stuff (including folk in Low Man's Lyric, country in Mama Said, groove-ish music in 2x4, etc), it kinda makes it harder to compare with other albums, since for what it is, it's all pretty fine and there's enough variety to keep me interested.

But take all this shit I said with a grain of salt, it all can be summed up as "If I want to listen to thrash, I'll usually listen to other bands anyway, so I enjoy this album for what it is, which a solid rock album with nice variety". A bit of an unpopular opinion, given how well regarded their first 4 albums are, but hey, that's just me.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:00 pm 

I always thought Fuel, King Nothing and The Memory Remains were good songs.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 pm 

Until It Sleeps is one of my favorite songs by them

MetalVermont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
Never listened much to Metallica, but I kinda like The Memory Remains for some reason. It's not a great song, but it's different at least.

Please tell me you also know some of the 80s classics.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:15 am 

jimbies wrote:

I can outdo you here as Reload is my 2nd favourite after Justice. Though it helps it was the 1st metal album I ever heard. Agreed on the last run of songs. Some of them remind me of Alice in Chains. The singles are overplayed and let the album down a bit, but not enough to lessen my opinion of it by much. Better Than You is ok, but didn't make it past promo status despite amusingly winning a Grammy somehow. Of the proper/more successful singles, I think Fuel is the least bad. I find its last minute really drags, but even that part stirs up nostalgia for me. I'm indifferent to The Memory Remains and The Unforgiven II. The only song I truly dislike is Bad Seed, just sounds like a poppy Stone Temple Pilots copy. All the other songs on the album are great.

Load is a weird one, being so country tinged. I don't think it has any bad songs, but I was never going to put it above any of the 80s stuff. I do like it significantly more than the Black Album (even more overplayed songs there and nothing long and brooding enough for my liking).

Anyway, to answer the question, my picks are these long and brooding ones. All top 10 Metallica songs for me (if not counting covers at least, eg. I particularly like Turn the Page):

1. Where the Wild Things Are
2. Fixxxer
3. The Outlaw Torn
4. Low Man's Lyric

If I add Alice in Chains - Get Born Again and the first 5 mins of The Offspring - Pay the Man in the middle then it'd make a nice album of songs with that exact mid-late 90s brooding vibe, haha.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:43 am 

joppek wrote:
yeah, plenty of good songs on those albums - maybe enough to compile one really good album out of. the problem is that there's so much bad stuff mixed in

That's what I think too. But I, like many others, did buy both so maybe they've made the right commercial choice while being at their top after the black album, quantity over quality.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:12 am 

Ragemanistan wrote:
Just watched the awesome version of Call Of K'tulu off of S&M and followed that up with this gem of a performance.

Not bad, actually. But something bothers me about Hetfield's voice, and not just in this recording. Did he somehow learn to sign like there's an aggressive autotune helping him hit notes, or is there always an aggressive autotune?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next