Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 pm 

LilTito wrote:
I'll never understand why Deafheaven is on this site but we can't have deathcore bands for some reason...

There are 1700 deathcore bands on the site, though?

gestapothrash wrote:
LilTito wrote:
I'll never understand why Deafheaven is on this site but we can't have deathcore bands for some reason...

Because deathcore is shit

I can name plenty of deathcore that's better than 90% of the rehashed thrash, bedroom BM, and generic DM on this site.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:50 pm 

Vadara wrote:
gestapothrash wrote:
LilTito wrote:

I can name plenty of deathcore that's better than 90% of the rehashed thrash, bedroom BM, and generic DM on this site.

I'm sure you can, but that still doesn't make it more metal or less shit
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:01 am 

Vadara wrote:

gestapothrash wrote:
LilTito wrote:

No you can't because they don't exist

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:48 pm 

Breathtaking argumentation, especially from the side that claims to be more intelligent.

Anyway, this is a deafheaven topic, let's get back on track and complain about them having lyrics about something other than death, satan, or dragons for the five hundreth time. Or them having a pink album cover, because metalheads are good at nothing if not complaining about aesthetic bullshit.

(Astronoid does the whole emo black metal thing better anyway)

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:47 am 

I'm sorry for commenting on a band I didn't know. My comment about not being metal was related to that song that was posted. Having now listened to them further, I retract saying they aren't or weren't metal. Still not my cup of tea but whatever.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:19 am 

LilTito wrote:

Why are you bringing this deathcore non-sequitur into this? Don't answer, by the way, I'm just telling you not to. This thread is about Deafheaven's new album, not about their metalness, and especially not about what band should be on MA.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:34 am 

Sounds like a decent album for long car rides that will likely fade quickly.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:24 am 

I remember not being impressed with OCHL at first, and then playing it after a long time when it clicked, I like it a lot now. New Bermuda is may favourite, and that's part of the reason why I wasn't receptive for OCHL at first.

Great Mass of Color sounds nice, although it's not what I usually listen to. I don't mind if they take a break from black metal with this LP only. The next one should spill some blood if they don't sell out.

Last edited by Osore on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:15 am 

That was actually pretty good. My general experience from metal bands that abandon the genre is that they tend to do whatever sound they move into worse than established bands in the genre. If that makes sense? Like how Ulver's synth pop isn't anywhere near as good as "proper" synth pop, or almost every band that has done a purely folk album. I'm not saying this is the song of the year or anything but it was some pretty solid dream pop/shoegaze, even if it took a bit long to get going proper. infinite Granite is gonna be interesting!

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

SkinMM
Jesus Loves Me (More than You)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:52 pm 

Second single "The Gnashing" out tomorrow (or now, in certain regions of the world).

There were elements that I liked, but I can't say I found it to be exhilarating on first listen (no screamed vocals again, for those wondering).

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:15 pm 

Vadara wrote:
Breathtaking argumentation, especially from the side that claims to be more intelligent.

Anyway, this is a deafheaven topic, let's get back on track and complain about them having lyrics about something other than death, satan, or dragons for the five hundreth time. Or them having a pink album cover, because metalheads are good at nothing if not complaining about aesthetic bullshit.

(Astronoid does the whole emo black metal thing better anyway)

The second Astronoid album was a total letdown. The debut is sick, though.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:53 am 

Another incredible single

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:25 am 

like someone distilled ambien into audio form. zzzzzzzzzzzz

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:37 am 

Dull and generic. Not really feeling it.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:43 pm 

Great Mass of Color was decent for a single, but with this new one, it looks like the whole album really is gonna be this early-Coldplay-meets-post-hardcore style. A predictable chord progression, the same tempo and beats as the last single, and dull, lifeless clean singing.

Also, somehow, even 5 and a half minutes is too long for that song's content, despite it being short by Deafheaven standards.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:57 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Great Mass of Color was decent for a single, but with this new one, it looks like the whole album really is gonna be this early-Coldplay-meets-post-hardcore style. A predictable chord progression, the same tempo and beats as the last single, and dull, lifeless clean singing.

Also, somehow, even 5 and a half minutes is too long for that song's content, despite it being short by Deafheaven standards.

Agreed. Hopefully the rest of the album won't be like The Gnashing.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:13 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

Not every album has to be super groundbreaking.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:18 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Slater922 wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

"Not boring" would be great for starters.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:32 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

"Not boring" would be great for starters.

Yeah, I liked Great Mass of Color but this one isn't doing much for me. In either case they're pretty predictable and in the latter pretty boring.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:39 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:

So it's full-on Slowdive worship now? Albeit with more busy drums and no female vocals. I hope they at least change it up a bit and keep some form of metal/heavy influences in some of the tracks at least to keep it interesting. The album is almost a hour long after all. But who knows maybe they can pull it off.

Speaking of Slowdive, I only now realized they had a reunion and released a new album in 2017, that's pretty cool.

I'm sure Neige and future post-rock bands like Mogwai enjoyed this kind of sound from 1990:

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:12 am 

Fearoth wrote:
TheLoneForest wrote:

So it's full-on Slowdive worship now? Albeit with more busy drums and no female vocals. I hope they at least change it up a bit and keep some form of metal/heavy influences in some of the tracks at least to keep it interesting. The album is almost a hour long after all. But who knows maybe they can pull it off.

Speaking of Slowdive, I only now realized they had a reunion and released a new album in 2017, that's pretty cool.

I'm sure Neige and future post-rock bands like Mogwai enjoyed this kind of sound from 1990:

LMAOOOOO imagine thinking you have to keep it "heavy" (whatever that means) or to have a metal influence to make it interesting. Shoegaze is literally one of the best genres around and one that keeps on giving. So happy they didn't do something boring like Black Brick on this album.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:52 am 

Problem is that while Slowdive are incredible, compared to them Deafheaven are hacks. There are also better bands approaching these kinds of sounds from a metal framework, such as Vel, who also manage to keep things very intense, while Deafheaven sound like they're just running on empty.

At any rate, The Gnashing sounds more like a spaced-out Interpol song, than Slowdive or shoegaze.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:45 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Problem is that while Slowdive are incredible, compared to them Deafheaven are hacks. There are also better bands approaching these kinds of sounds from a metal framework, such as Vel, who also manage to keep things very intense, while Deafheaven sound like they're just running on empty.

At any rate, The Gnashing sounds more like a spaced-out Interpol song, than Slowdive or shoegaze.

Also the vocals sound a bit out of place. They worked a lot better on the first single but on this one George sounds like he's mumbling for some reason.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:45 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
LMAOOOOO imagine thinking you have to keep it "heavy" (whatever that means) or to have a metal influence to make it interesting. Shoegaze is literally one of the best genres around and one that keeps on giving. So happy they didn't do something boring like Black Brick on this album.

No, I meant in order to keep it interesting for the metal purists who often populate "metal" forums. The ones who will inevitably whine and call the band dead when they realize the new album most likely won't have a single growled vocal line.

I do listen to a fair amount of shoegaze myself, I just need to be in the right mood :D. I liked their original style, especially on New Bermuda but not so much on their latest album so maybe it is the perfect time for them to explore something a bit different.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:01 pm 

Fearoth wrote:
No, I meant in order to keep it interesting for the metal purists who often populate "metal" forums. The ones who will inevitably whine and call the band dead when they realize the new album most likely won't have a single growled vocal line

Not really applicable in this case, because those people hate this band anyway. See Bitterman's review of Sunbather (which hits the nail on the head, I think).

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:11 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Fearoth wrote:
No, I meant in order to keep it interesting for the metal purists who often populate "metal" forums. The ones who will inevitably whine and call the band dead when they realize the new album most likely won't have a single growled vocal line

Not really applicable in this case, because those people hate this band anyway. See Bitterman's review of Sunbather (which hits the nail on the head, I think).

Bitterman's review is god awful and putting a legitimate 0 on the entire thing just proves you either A.) Didn't understand the album, and it went right over your head or B.) You're an edge lord trying to be overly edgy for sake of attention

Either way he got me talking, so mission accomplished

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:21 pm 

I like The Gnashing better than Great Mass of Color. Vocals do sound a bit strange, but the guitars are much nicer, they give me melancholic vibes. I know nothing about guitars, but whatever they are doing, it sounds better to my ears than these happy ting, ting notes in between. Emotionally it feels like children running around the flower field with their irritating laughs versus someone drowning in his/her sorrow. I much prefer the later image, not the idyllic one.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:30 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
you either A.) Didn't understand the album

I think he understood it very well for what it was, actually. Not metal (but rather a speedy variant of post-hardcore instead with some blackened parts), bad lyrics, stretched out too long, and (his signature adjective) vapid overall. At this point I've heard their demo, Sunbather, OCHL, and New Bermuda as well, and they all seem to be on the same level as far as quality and musical style goes (except for OCHL, which started doing what the new album is doing so far).

I'll say it again: I think their true strength is in their cleaner parts, and this new album is them doing what they really want to do. The problem is: it still doesn't sound very interesting.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:09 am 

Bitterman was never any good. I get that it's fun to hate on stuff that the mainstream likes but it won't really matter to you in a few years anyway and your posts will be an embarrassment. I'm unclear on what it is you actually like really... all your posts are just like regurgitated from reviews you read of albums you think you're supposed to consider bad.

SkinMM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:05 am 

The entire "blackgaze" so-called phenomenon is so contrived, an invention of scene-chasing music journalists. I like Deafheaven quite a bit, but it's correct to identify them as screamo via post-rock with blastbeats, with a few other general metal elements thrown in from New Bermuda onwards.

Deafheaven have never sounded much like Slowdive, and this new track doesn't either, to my ears. Interpol would be a better comparison.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:18 am 

SkinMM wrote:
The entire "blackgaze" so-called phenomenon is so contrived, an invention of scene-chasing music journalists. I like Deafheaven quite a bit, but it's correct to identify them as screamo via post-rock with blastbeats, with a few other general metal elements thrown in from New Bermuda onwards.

Deafheaven have never sounded much like Slowdive, and this new track doesn't either, to my ears. Interpol would be a better comparison.

I don't think this is the case, the term "blackgaze" has mostly been pushed by the Internet community. It probably originated on mu, Reddit or RYM, which are essentially the same nowadays.

I do agree Deafheaven have a strong screamo (Envy) influence and that the black metal component tends to be exaggerated though.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:58 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I get that it's fun to hate on stuff that the mainstream likes but it won't really matter to you in a few years anyway and your posts will be an embarrassment.

Ah, the classic strawman. You see, I genuinely do not like Deafheaven - for the aforementioned reasons. The reason I chimed in on this thread in the first place was because I heard Great Mass of Color and it sounded more like something that the band was meant to do, I thought. Here's a something to think about: I don't think anyone hates on something for the sole reason that it's mainstream. Sometimes mainstream music has a considerable lack of intelligence (perhaps a reason that it became popular, because it's easily understood and digested), but so does a lot of unknown stuff. There's great music that's received considerable attention. In short, just because it's mainstream doesn't mean it's bad, and simply being popular is not a good reason to hate anything, which is why no one does it for that sole reason. I could argue with that same strawman that your In Flames reviews were written solely because those albums are considered classics in their genre and it would be fun to hate them, but I know it's more complicated than that. Not asking you to explain it.

As for your confusion about what I like, the truth is that there isn't much that I like. In any genre. You could see it this way: I don't like bands so much as I like particular albums or songs by those bands, because it's very hard to keep a consistent level of quality. There's probably less than 10 albums I've heard in my entire life that I knew were truly great the more I listened to them. Granted, I have a different set of criteria than most people, which I've explained here before. I'm not embarrassed by any of those opinions and as time goes on, they've actually only become more solidified.

SkinMM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:47 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
SkinMM wrote:

I don't think this is the case, the term "blackgaze" has mostly been pushed by the Internet community. It probably originated on mu, Reddit or RYM, which are essentially the same nowadays.

I do agree Deafheaven have a strong screamo (Envy) influence and that the black metal component tends to be exaggerated though.

That's a fair point. To me though, it just doesn't feel like a genre label that's particularly coherent when it comes to the actual musical content of the bands that it references. It's not a coincidence, I would suggest, that labels like post black metal and even "hipster black metal" (a tag essentially rooted in image and social positioning more than anything actually musical) are often used interchangeably with it - it's grasping to give definition to something that doesn't actually exist except in the loosest of senses.

Important to remember, too, that Alcest was never intended to be some kind of genre amalgramation, either. Neige had never even listened to shoegaze when "Souvenirs.." came out, and to me it is very different from everything in that genre. My biases will be showing here, but to me it seems like a desperate attempt at categorization to better get a handle on a work of genius which lies outside of genre confines, as all great works do. Without that seminal work, there wouldn't be a pseudo-genre for Deafheaven's well-marketed screamo/post-rock/metal hybrid to become affixed to, despite the fact it really sounds nothing at all like it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:03 am 

SkinMM wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
SkinMM wrote:

That's a fair point. To me though, it just doesn't feel like a genre label that's particularly coherent when it comes to the actual musical content of the bands that it references. It's not a coincidence, I would suggest, that labels like post black metal and even "hipster black metal" (a tag essentially rooted in image and social positioning more than anything actually musical) are often used interchangeably with it - it's grasping to give definition to something that doesn't actually exist except in the loosest of senses.

Important to remember, too, that Alcest was never intended to be some kind of genre amalgramation, either. Neige had never even listened to shoegaze when "Souvenirs.." came out, and to me it is very different from everything in that genre. My biases will be showing here, but to me it seems like a desperate attempt at categorization to better get a handle on a work of genius which lies outside of genre confines, as all great works do. Without that seminal work, there wouldn't be a pseudo-genre for Deafheaven's well-marketed screamo/post-rock/metal hybrid to become affixed to, despite the fact it really sounds nothing at all like it.

I do agree blackgaze is a term that makes little sense and amalgamates stuff that isn't really coherent as a subgenre. It's basically black metal that doesn't have black metal riffing and is much more melodic and rooted in non metal genres. The only advantage of people using it is so I can avoid it entirely and skip those bands but if I were inclined to listen to any of them I wouldn't really know what kind of music they play.

Post black metal is an even worse tag because its meaning has changed considerably. It used to mean dissonant avantgarde stuff and now it's interchangable with blackgaze so it only generates more confusion.

I feel like the root of the problem is the people making up this stuff isn't familiar with black metal or extreme metal enough to invent new subgenres out of thin air so it only generates more confusion.

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:57 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:

I'm a big fan of post-hardcore, but I don't hear any in that song, personally. It has that droning quality a lot off black metal has where the same section of stretched out for way too long, just with almost all the metal elements excised. I've never been into guitar-based music like this; I think distorted guitars and rock drums even at their softest are never quite "pleasant" enough to enjoy ambiently, if that makes any sense, so music that tries to create a droning ambient atmosphere with them just falls flat on its face for me.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:34 am 

This album is going to be unreal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:37 pm 

Each track is more generic than the previous one. At this point I don't think I'll bother listening to the full album.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:16 pm 

I'd have preferred if they went more Black Brick and less... whatever this is. It's not bad, the music itself is OK (some really nice parts at the end of that last track) if you're in the mood for it, but the vocals are way too mellow. I liked the superposition of mellow, dreamy elements with harsher, more metal parts.

I'm imagning the Gnashing with vocals similar to Sunbather and I think it'd improve it 900%.

I'm still hoping it's a grower, though. I may revise my opinion once I hear the whole thing.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:39 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
I'd have preferred if they went more Black Brick and less... whatever this is. It's not bad, the music itself is OK (some really nice parts at the end of that last track) if you're in the mood for it, but the vocals are way too mellow. I liked the superposition of mellow, dreamy elements with harsher, more metal parts.

I'm imagning the Gnashing with vocals similar to Sunbather and I think it'd improve it 900%.

I'm still hoping it's a grower, though. I may revise my opinion once I hear the whole thing.

Black Brick was boring, this is much better

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:40 pm 

https://youtu.be/fXTBQQU191Y

Here's the music video for the new song

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next