Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:08 pm 

Basically, this is about non-Metal Archive-bands or artists making metal songs. I won't be counting bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, or any bands that are widely accepted as "metal" (although I will count other bands such as Linkin Park or Evanescence). Another thing to keep in mind is that not every "heavy" song is metal, they may be more hard rock or punk. Also, let's not spark debates about whether these bands should be counted in the Metal Archives because of such song.

One sole example I can think of is Sum 41. They are normally a pop-punk band, but they made an 80s metal parody:

Youtubers Brunuhville and Adrian von Ziegler compose film scores or folk or neoclassical influenced new age music, but also ocasionally make some symphonic or folk metal instrumentals.

So what are your thoughts? What are some other metal songs could you think of that are composed by non-metal bands?

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:19 pm 

Two examples that come to mind are Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy" (kinda cheating because by '74 there wasn't a strict definition of metal, but it's unusually heavy for them anyways):

and the Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right", which is also a parody of 80's glam/party songs, although not as heavy as that Sum 41 song, with an intentionally simple solo by Kerry King:

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Zurbum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:37 pm 

Queen did some, my favourite is this one...Freddie sounds like Dio at times...

this is great too and barely get mentioned

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:24 am 

I always thought that 80s Hawkwind was channeling 70s Priest to a brilliant degree - this is quite different to the album version, Hawkwind fans often refer to 'Live Chronicles' as 'their shitty heavy metal period', so good enough for me :D

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:54 am 

Pooh are one of the most popular and beloved italian pop rock bands here, founded in 1966...
so it's was quite shocking that in 2010, at 70 years old they came out with an absolute banger of an epic metal song :lol:

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:11 am 

only for Greeks :)

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:08 pm 

Folk Singer/Songwriter artist Mount Eerie had some strong black metal influences on their album “Wind’s Poem”. It’s a little rough around the edges and far from his best material, though if anyone is interested in checking his stuff out, he released one of the best albums of 2017 with the absolutely heartbreaking “A Crow Looked At Me” (though that’s just an aside, there’s not any metal influence in any of his stuff outside of “Wind’s Poem”).

I also think Chelsea Wolfe deserves a mention. She’s always flirted with metal enough that it’s not exactly shocking, though there are a few of her songs that I think deserve a spotlight more than others. Both her albums “Abyss” and especially “Hiss Spun” have plenty of doom, sludge, and slight post-metal influences on them.

Here is a rather metal-sounding song, predominately in the 2nd half of the track. Also features Aaron Turner from Isis/Old Man Gloom/Sumac

Another one, more doom and sludge influenced

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:32 pm 

"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:00 pm 

Not a metal song by any stretch by the guitar parts are very black metal influenced for sure and if I am not mistakenthere is also double bass drums in the beginning:

Sivert Høyem, formerly of Norway’s indie pioneers Madrugada, reveals a rather surprising admission regarding the sounds which influenced his last album ‘Long Slow Distance’ [...]: “I was listening to Norwegian black metal music,” comes the surprising revelation, “not really for the classic metal quality of it, but those low-fi production ideas from some of those 90s albums. Therefore, ‘Long Slow Distance’ is darker and it’s just sort of the way it had to be, but I was conscious about it and knew what I wanted to do.”

Yes it is.

_Glen_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:09 pm 

_Glen_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:11 pm 

Last edited by _Glen_ on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 pm 

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:21 am 

'Day of the Eagle' by Brazen Abbott is killer power metal

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:09 am 

It doesn't completely fit, but every single time this song by Algiers comes on shuffle, until he starts singing I think "well what fucking darkthrone song is this?"

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:35 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLBFEFsJOHA

I can't say this counts as METUHL but if it wasn't for the singing this would be considered crossover for sure.
Fletcher Dragge was one of the first guitarists to take up the Ibanez RG with EMGs/Mesa Boogle Dual Rectifier setup, and you can hear it here in spades. The guitars are so much heavier than anything else that happened in punk (except maybe the Offspring's Smash, which I think was JCM800s), and as a result the production sounds like it should've been an Anthrax album. He used two rectifier heads panned to make up for just being one guitarist, and the result is THICK. The riffing is on the Scott Ian level too.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:42 am 

Another punk entry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOEkqoYvXU

NOFX's take on Paul Dianno getting fired from Maiden. Mostly a punk song but with a good pretend Maiden bit or two, and lots of Harris bass through the whole thing.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:12 pm 

Aerosmith's always good for a few metal tracks. One a lot of people might not know about is Taste of India from 1997's album Nine Lives. Easily one of their top 5 heaviest tracks, and they have more than you think.

As for early shit, 1975's Round and Round is doom as fuck.

Rats in the Cellar also fucking smoked live back in the day. Not quite as heavy as Priest or Motorhead in '78, but in the same ballpark. Definitely on the more aggressive side of the spectrum.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 pm 

Gold are a post-punk band from the Netherlands whose music seems to be getting heavier with each album. They already had some slight post-metal undertones in their last couple of albums, but the song 'Taken By Storm' in particular is pretty post-black metalish sounding.

Esben and the Witch are a similar case. They started off playing some pretty soft ethereal wave stuff, but have progressively included more post-rock elements in their stuff. Their most recent album was their heaviest, and this particular track sounds like straight up post-metal to me.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:52 pm 

Post-rock band Presence of Soul got substantially heavier on this song, complete with some growled vocals. They've flirted with heavier sounds here and there on their last 2 albums, but this the only song that really goes all the way.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:42 pm 

I know this is an old thread and all, but I was digging through this K-pop boy group EXO, and I found a live metal version of one of their songs. The original version already had hardcore elements, but this one made it even more.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:57 pm 

Crazy by Seal is the most non-metal “metal” song of all time.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:19 am 

The new volbeat song has a death metal intro. Like, tremolo picking and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3A39D_KQdw

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:08 am 

robotniq
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:21 am 

Not enough people talk about the time when a bunch of jazz-fusion musicians released a death metal(ish) album, featuring Jan Hammer on keyboards...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wIa28D ... A115A1E449

(there are a couple of metal musicians on that, but the ethos is definitely non-metal)

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:48 am 

Turner wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLBFEFsJOHA

I can't say this counts as METUHL but if it wasn't for the singing this would be considered crossover for sure.
Fletcher Dragge was one of the first guitarists to take up the Ibanez RG with EMGs/Mesa Boogle Dual Rectifier setup, and you can hear it here in spades. The guitars are so much heavier than anything else that happened in punk (except maybe the Offspring's Smash, which I think was JCM800s), and as a result the production sounds like it should've been an Anthrax album. He used two rectifier heads panned to make up for just being one guitarist, and the result is THICK. The riffing is on the Scott Ian level too.

No Use for a Name also has tons of metal riffs on The Daily Grind and Leche con Carne.

Reply to topic