Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:18 am 

With the unfortunate passing of Alexi Laiho the end of last year and being a massive Bodom fan i havent yet checked these guys out, well ive tried 1 or 2 songs and although Alexi’s playing is recognisable the band seems quite different with the female singer and the more power metal only approach, part of me is tempted to listen for the remaining Alexi stuff i havent heard but then another part feels I might be disappointed if i go looking for the Bodom heaviness, what are your thoughts on this band? Essential listening for me if I was big on Alexi/Bodom?

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 am 

Not as into Sinergy as COB but its not bad, I think the female vocals are one of the main aspects of that band. I'd prefer COB myself, I wouldn't say they are essential.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:16 am 

First two albums are really inconsistent, but Suicide By My Side is... well, still really hit or miss, but the hits are so good. The title track and Spit on Your Grave are genuinely among my favorite songs in the genre. It's by no means a perfect album but it's absolutely worth checking out.

Laiho is part of the appeal for sure, but Goss is the star of the show. She's not just the vocalist, but also the primary songwriter. Everybody gets a share but she's at least partially credited on basically every song (and the two great songs are also the only two solely credited to her and Laiho, so they obviously has some excellent chemistry). There was always speculation in the early days what Bodom would sound like if they just got a real singer and went full power metal, and Suicide By My Side is the closest we'll ever get to such a thing. So yeah, check the last album, but if you're going into it solely hoping for more Alexi theatrics, just be prepared that it isn't really his band and he's much more restrained, the band instead focusing on vocal hooks.

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:27 am 

They're not terrible albums, but they're also not all that great. Average power metal stuff. She has a decent voice though.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:39 pm 

I listened to them for the first time earlier this year after Laiho's passing. From what I recall, the first two albums were well made though not quite as standout in style while Suicide By My Side has way more personality shining through. I wouldn't necessarily call them ahead of their time or what have you, but the lattermost album really seems to foreshadow the sort of style that bands like A Sound of Thunder and Unleash the Archers would pick up on recently.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:10 pm 

I don't listen to Sinergy nearly as often as I do CoB, it's certainly different. I think all albums have a few great tracks. Too bad Goss didn't do anything after that, she could clearly write good songs and had a nice voice too.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:35 pm 

I've been listening to a lot of Sinergy lately. Even though I've been a COB fan for a long time, never really paid attention to Sinergy until a couple of years ago. It's more accessible music and thus also has the typical flaw of that type of music which is that every albums has some great songs, but there's also lots of filler in there. That said, the production of all 3 albums is great, so is the musicianship, and the guitar sound in particular is awesome. It's absolutely worth listening to but not every song is going to be great. These were also recorded before Laiho started getting injured so he plays some crazy shit, stuff that he couldn't play afterwards anymore.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:03 pm 

I'm among the yet silent minority here that listens to Sinergy a bit more than Children Of Bodom, and I'd definitely concur that Suicide By My Side was their best album, although I think all 3 of their albums were really good. Goss' voice was a big part of what made the band unique, and the resulting mixture of Alexi's more thrashing brand of power metal and the generally dark aesthetic that goes with it made them a bit of an outlier among the turn of the millennium power metal scene. I was really bummed that they never put out another album and just sat in limbo for years before calling everything quits. It's also kind of ironic that not long after Alexi died Lars Ratz ends up passing in a plane crash. Sinergy and Metalium went on tour together back way back in the early days of both bands and the Metalian Attack Part 1 Documentary DVD (1999-2001) showed a bunch of hilarious backstage footage with both bands, definitely something to check out once you've heard all 3 Sinergy albums.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:21 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I'm among the yet silent minority here that listens to Sinergy a bit more than Children Of Bodom, and I'd definitely concur that Suicide By My Side was their best album, although I think all 3 of their albums were really good. Goss' voice was a big part of what made the band unique, and the resulting mixture of Alexi's more thrashing brand of power metal and the generally dark aesthetic that goes with it made them a bit of an outlier among the turn of the millennium power metal scene.

I pretty much agree with this. I used to listen to CoB a decent amount back in the day and they definitely had an impact on influencing the direction of my taste. I didn't quite appreciate it at the time and they were overshadowed by bands like Fear Factory, Opeth, and In Flames, but in subsequent years it's become more clear to me that they connected my teenage interest in shred guitar and power metal to my burgeoning interest in extreme metal. But I rarely listen to CoB these days outside of the odd song here or there (and a sizeable binge after Alexi's passing), so when I want a taste of that sound I'm much more likely to play Sinergy in recent years. There's been increasingly more of it in the past decade or two, but it used to be frustratingly difficult to find bands with female vocalists that didn't play at more plodding tempos, and they were one of the antidotes to that.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:52 am 

Sinergy is a very good power metal band with charismatic vocals, excellent guitar play, playful keyboards and lyrics that walk off the beaten path for that type of genre. The band would have deserved more recognition than it got and it's a shame that the fourth album Sins of the Past was never completed.

''Concert'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/concert-a-short-story-c31088448

Nocturnal_Evil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 am 

My only exposure to this band is a track they put on a "Death Is Just The Beginning..." compilation years back. Decent stuff with some predictably good lead work from Alexi Laiho and their singer does have a good voice too.

Reply to topic