Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:00 pm 

So i've been into metal for roughly 20 years now. I remember as an early teen thinking the corpse paint was cool and the over the top gore was pretty fun and exciting. As i've aged I still love the music and tbh I think it'd be weird if metal didnt have the aesthetic it does but I mean at some point doesnt it get a little ridiculous? I suppose more than anything i'm looking at black metal here. At what point do 30 year old dudes dressed in spikes and leather with face paint talking about how much they love satan just come off looking cartoonish? Atleast Immortal never took themselves to seriously. Some of these artists are so over the top it doesnt allow the music to speak for itself which at the end of the day isnt that why we are all here?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:10 pm 

Yeah. the over the top aesthetics are pretty boring for me too. Above everything, I feel like metal short of has a place and a time and when you put it out of it's context it feels pretty ridiculous. Like some guy with a full vest patch at a show is not something I hate but the same guy with his full vest patch at 15:00h going to the store to buy groceries and sweating like a pig is a bit cartoonish. Not that I really care how people dress or what they do with their free time as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. I tend to dress more casual nowadays but I guess that's what happens when you get old.

I also don't really listen to a ton of new black metal bands that wear corpsepaint. Corpsepaint nowadays is usually the first red flag that the band is going to be generic and awful. If the band dresses like this chances are they fucking suck.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:29 pm 

As long as King Diamond never pulls a kiss and goes "un-masked", I'll be okay

(yes I know he had to do it for a couple shows a few years back due to an eye infection. Which is actually fucking hilarious.)

AmIKevill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:35 pm 

I'm sick of the kitsch. The costumes/gimmicks and keyboards in the modern scene (especially "Euro summer festival bands", for some reason, think Powerwolf or something, or anything black metal adjacent) is just overwhelmingly shitty.

I think this has to do with social media- the 4-second attention span can much more easily notice "Damn these guys look crazy! You don't see dudes like that out in public everyday!" than "wow, the composition on this record is really incredible, and I love how it progresses in mood as the whole thing continues!"

It isn't just metal, but the virtue of marketing is upheld over the virtue of music, generally, in music today. Expect many more new gimmicks and costumes. The two bands of our whole era that really "made it big" are Ghost and Babymetal.

Agreed 100 percent with gravetemplar on the "chances are they fucking suck." sentiment.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 pm 

I tend not to judge a band by how they dress. As long as the band has a look that fits the music, I really don't mind.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:53 pm 

Not really, I think there is such a thing putting too much emphasis on image and the band's sound suffering as a result, but I'm more indifferent to a band's appearance than annoyed by it. If a band decides to deck themselves out in bullet belts and corpsepaint, or decides to do a D&D LARP, it doesn't really phase me as long as the music is good. I think 4 or 5 musicians in jeans and t-shirts can make an awesome album as easily as a band that dabbles in theatricality.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 pm 

Aesthetics don't make or break a band for me. I'm not going to listen to shit music because of cool aesthetics (Ghost) nor am I going to discount a band that plays good music because of goofy appearance. That said, black leather, red ink, spikes, corpsepaint is getting old when it's being used the same way decade after decade. And it's surprising that few have used all that in some new and original way. The exception I can't think of is Thy Antichrist. That guy does some really interesting and unique stuff with his appearance.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:51 pm 

If I ever get tired of metal/gothic aesthetics, someone should kill me... Actually, we are all going to end up pale, gruesome and decomposed as corpses - morbid aesthetics always wins. (⓿_⓿)
I always look alternative and hardly can call myself corporate goth - although I don't wear black eyeshadow and nail polish in order not to freak people out completely, my face always has a pale base and I wear spikes at work, black metal T-shirts...

When it comes to bands, their look can enhance the enjoyment. I cringe every time I see Deafheaven in videos and photographs because they look very vanilla (read: ugly). However, I can see myself through other people's eyes and I'm fully aware of the fact that they cringe every time they see me, so it goes both ways.

One of the saddest things is when people say: ''Oh, I used to be a metalhead/goth/(insert alternative style).'' And what are you now when you look like everyone else and listen to the music of the masses? I know there is some level of uniformity in alternative styles, but they still are hotspots for unique characters.

Spoiler: show

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:57 pm 

I like metal aesthetics. I don't like it when metal bands look too "normal" or boring. Just makes them look embarrassed to be a metal band in my opinion.

There is a line though, and I don't like bands that look too cartoonish, or the endless line of "faceless" Mgla copycats. Corpsepaint is really easy to fuck up as well, and by this point I think most black metal bands would be better of forgoing it rather than looking as silly as the pic Gravetemplar posted.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:25 pm 

I have no complaints, aesthetics are part of a complete performance. Nearly every special band, in their prime, understood that visual aesthetics go hand-in-hand with aural aesthetics. A lot of bands that aren't special are still entertaining, in part because they have a visual aspect to their show - all of those European festival bands seem to understand their performance is entertainment, not that whatever field or fjord happens to have thousands of beer-filled headbangers is the setting they envisioned their music being performed in.

Plenty of bands will copy both their look and music from others, that's not exclusive to metal. Some do one or the other well, many do neither well. How many bands look like bums and can't play their instrument because they're influenced by Nirvana?

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:10 pm 

I'd get bored without bands using some sort of aesthetic. Depending on the direction and style, of course. Musicians like Devin Townsend don't necessarily need any sort of aesthetic to go with what they do. But Watain certainly does. Depending on what your music is trying to emulate, you may HAVE to add some sort of theatrical element to your live show. I just can't imagine going to a Mayhem concert where everyone on stage is wearing plain white t-shirts, shorts, and tennis shoes. People can argue all day long it's "all about the music, man." But some music needs a visual component to it, otherwise it ends up lacking.

Last edited by From_Wisdom_To_Mabt on Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:15 pm 

Nope. It's another layer of artistic expression that especially benefits an artist when playing live if done right. A facet of the package that creates the whole vision. That isn't to say that some bands aren't horrible at it, but that's true of anything.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:32 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I also don't really listen to a ton of new black metal bands that wear corpsepaint. Corpsepaint nowadays is usually the first red flag that the band is going to be generic and awful. If the band dresses like this chances are they fucking suck.

I don't have anything against the aesthetic in theory, but I find myself feeling this way more and more about corpsepaint specifically. It probably does bias my opinion of a band if I see some ridiculous promo shot where they're wearing it. It's fine for the older bands, maybe because many of those bands/individuals at the time were truly fucked up, and it just feels hollow for many of these new bands.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:49 pm 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
I'd get bored without bands using some sort of aesthetic. Depending on the direction and style, of course. Musicians like Devin Townsend don't necessarily need any sort of aesthetic to go with what they do. But Watain certainly does. Depending on what your music is trying to emulate, you may HAVE to add some sort of theatrical element to your live show. I just can't imagine going to a Mayhem concert where everyone on stage is wearing plain white t-shirts, shorts, and tennis shoes. People can argue all day long it's "all about the music, man." But some music needs a visual component to it, otherwise it ends up lacking.

Pretty much where I stand - I think the key is that if you do have an added visual aesthetic, it needs to be done right and fit what you're doing. It just gets corny when bands use the same aesthetics over and over again, i.e. corpsepaint and that abomination that Gravetemplar posted.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:03 pm 

You seriously think corpsepaint has the most repetitive aesthetics in metal? Doom metal has been having Black Sabbath-worship bands since day one, and at this point, I just want it to stop! :durr: :brick:

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:29 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
You seriously think corpsepaint has the most repetitive aesthetics in metal? Doom metal has been having Black Sabbath-worship bands since day one, and at this point, I just want it to stop! :durr: :brick:

This, I'm very sick of seeing doom bands wearing large crosses around their necks and playing through Orange Amps
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:21 pm 

Yeah, at least when it comes to how many Black Metal bands wear corpsepaint, because it seems like an awfully conformist trend for a genre that tends to pride itself on non-comfority.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:02 pm 

Nah, I'm pushing 50 and I love it still. I like the theatrics.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:07 pm 

Given the absence of shows over the last year, I'll take all the showmanship I can get.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:48 pm 

Not really, I think. Metal has mostly had the sense to not become completely cartoonish and it seems that since 90s black metal had reached the peaks of insanity (and nu-metal also somewhat showed how bad it could get if you try a bit too hard), no one is willing to go there anymore and most metal musicians just see the aesthetic as an icing on the cake rather than something that needs to be relentlessly pushed forward. Which is good, and sometimes unique ideas still pop up. (e.g. Batushka)

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 pm 

I've always appreciated the spikes, bullet belts, gauntlets, battle armor, and other accessories.
Metal is an OTT genre by nature and it loses something when people come out in perms, khakis, or bowling shirts.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:40 am 

If your music is good and you've chosen a fitting aesthetic to compliment it, I'm all for it. I agree with some others of you here: seeing a band which plays heavy shit yet dresses like they don't want to be associated with metal irks me. If you're dedicated enough to learn how to play metal, go all out!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:42 am 

Some of the stuff like pirate costumes or over the top corpsepaint can seem excessive, but that's just how the genre is. I'd rather it have that theatrical element than not. If they can do something to stand out then it could add to the overall experience.

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:00 am 

Yes and no, It works for some groups but other groups should give it a wide berth. I once saw a group trying to some "evil" type aesthetics, but it ended up looking like some sort of Halloween metal. I think Watain use it effectively though.

I more dislike members that behave like douches on stage. Like the guy from the Swedish group "Shining".

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 am 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
So i've been into metal for roughly 20 years now. I remember as an early teen thinking the corpse paint was cool and the over the top gore was pretty fun and exciting. As i've aged I still love the music and tbh I think it'd be weird if metal didnt have the aesthetic it does but I mean at some point doesnt it get a little ridiculous? I suppose more than anything i'm looking at black metal here. At what point do 30 year old dudes dressed in spikes and leather with face paint talking about how much they love satan just come off looking cartoonish? Atleast Immortal never took themselves to seriously. Some of these artists are so over the top it doesnt allow the music to speak for itself which at the end of the day isnt that why we are all here?

I always disliked gore. I like a few bands with gore type lyrics but I usually like it despite the lyrics not because of it. But I was never a fan of horror in other art such a movies or literature.

I don't have any problem with the leather and spikes (and occasional corpse paint) though. Quite the reverse. I like it a lot when done good. I don't dress it, and haven't for years and years, but I think its a cool look.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:11 am 

77hjrttfred wrote:
Like the guy from the Swedish group "Shining".

You mean Kvarforth? He's a massive knob, and a freak. :D

77hjrttfred
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:33 am 

Quote:
You mean Kvarforth? He's a massive knob, and a freak. :D

Yeah, that guy.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:51 am 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
At what point do 30 year old dudes dressed in spikes and leather with face paint talking about how much they love satan just come off looking cartoonish?

Every single time. Gaahl came off as sinister in that one documentary precisely becuase he looked so normal, until 'yeah, the only other child at my school killed himself, and ....satan'. That worked. Yet another 'Goat Bothering Blackened Thrash' band banging on about satan and stuff in between shifts at the local supermarket / Hallmark movies with their girlfriend ? Get a grip.

Osore wrote:
When it comes to bands, their look can enhance the enjoyment. I cringe every time I see Deafheaven in videos and photographs because they look very vanilla

I also completely agree with this, however - I want my metal bands to be slightly ridiculous, over the top. My favourite stories are things like the Scorpions getting a limo 30 feet from their dressing room to a festival stage, Maiden touring in the 747 with Eddie on the side, or live stuff like Watain with their buckets o' guts, Powerwolf with the Catholic werewolves shtick, Tom Warrior always wearing that hat n' scowl, even small bands like Wytch Hazel dressing up like Ritchie Blackmore's grandkids - It's all fun - and I much prefer that over some nerd in a second hand Volvo and check shirt trying desperately to 'look like everyone else'. Embrace the silliness !

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 am 

Yep, I agree. I'm personally a bit over the extreme attire as well, I really just want to hear good music that isn't a copy of everything that comes before it. It's one of the reasons I can get into really unique bands like Obscura and Cynic. There's no image to indulge in, its just a group of guys working really hard on great musicianship and creating memorable songs. And it extends to the music as well, we've all been hearing the same blastbeats and tremolo riffs for years and years, it's time for some better song writing and less emphasis on being extreme. I could list about 10 different death metal and black metal bands and just honestly think, there is nothing unique between any of these songs I couldn't get from the other band.

I think the issue that you are touching on isn't just related to the imagery, its also related to the genre as a whole and the musicianship as well.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:31 am 

I've been over it since I was like 16 or 17. How people take that shit seriously is beyond me

Methuen wrote:
Osore wrote:
When it comes to bands, their look can enhance the enjoyment. I cringe every time I see Deafheaven in videos and photographs because they look very vanilla

I also completely agree with this, however - I want my metal bands to be slightly ridiculous, over the top. My favourite stories are things like the Scorpions getting a limo 30 feet from their dressing room to a festival stage, Maiden touring in the 747 with Eddie on the side, or live stuff like Watain with their buckets o' guts, Powerwolf with the Catholic werewolves shtick, Tom Warrior always wearing that hat n' scowl, even small bands like Wytch Hazel dressing up like Ritchie Blackmore's grandkids - It's all fun - and I much prefer that over some nerd in a second hand Volvo and check shirt trying desperately to 'look like everyone else'. Embrace the silliness !

I'll take regular guys who make great music than grown adults in cosplay anyday

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 am 

I've never taken it seriously, but I kinda enjoy the black metal aesthetics.. It just sorta fits with the music, y'know? I don't see it as a must, as plenty of Atmospheric/Epic BM bands dont make use of it that much (that I've seen).

I don't go to live shows either, so I guess it matters even less for me if they use it or not. :D

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:59 am 

I like theatrics and dramatic presentation so the aesthetic of metal is part of the fun. That said some aspects get old fast and seem like tired cliches:

* BM bands in corpsepaint standing in the woods and howling. Sometimes it looks atmospheric but some band photos are just comical. Special mention for the 'refined BM' look which is similar to the post-metal look (see below), which seems to consist of older bands 'maturing' by dressing like graphic designers and standing on a bleak shoreline somewhere.

* Umpteen 'proto doom/occult rock' bands standing in a room on a gloomy day wearing velvet jackets and flares (maybe with some printed scarves) with slightly scraggly hair and beards and leaning on some Orange amps while claiming that "we only record onto analogue tape". Doesn't help that their music is sometimes retro in the least imaginative interpretation of the term.

* Post-metal bands following the Neurosis/ISIS/Pelican template who have a somewhat identikit 'soft hipster' look of checked button down shirts, jeans, the odd beanie hat and librarian glasses, all sitting around staring off in different directions, and again photographed on a gloomy day.

* More a thing of the 00s, but retro-thrash acts that look EXACTLY like they've stepped out of Metal Forces circa 1986 - black spandex/jeans, bullet belts, hi-top trainers, denim waistcoats.... It's a good aesthetic, but it's like a photocopy of the past. If you're a band from the 80s and doing that look since day 1, fair enough.

As to my own aesthetic, I've acquired quite a lot of cool patches but don't want to make a battle jacket, at least not with denim... it seems a bit too obvious. Putting some onto a camouflage jacket or army shirt can work quite well.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:37 am 

Sure I get tired of it sometimes, but mostly it's a fine line. There are modern bands with stage getups that I don't mind, where I think it adds to the overall feel and atmosphere or the sound of the band in a live setting, and there are many many many more cases where it's superfluous nonsense.

I can't pinpoint it exactly, but I think that it comes down to whether or not the music/setting benefits from the aesthetic. With most modern black metal bands, it has become more of a force of habit, but for a band like Watain or whatever, I can't imagine them playing live without their elaborate getup.

Rottir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:34 am 

It's not present enough in my experience to matter. Either I don't listen to those bands, don't look at photos of the bands, or don't go to shows. Apart from the image further up in this thread I'm not sure the last time I saw 'metal aesthetics'. A few months at least?

Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:55 am 

I don't really mind them. Metal has always had kind of a theatrical quality. It is funny and awkward though when you are seeing a show in a really small venue and the band goes to the bathroom or green room in their normal clothing and comes out all decked out with ridiculous spikes and corpsepaint.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:04 pm 

Smalley wrote:
Yeah, at least when it comes to how many Black Metal bands wear corpsepaint, because it seems like an awfully conformist trend for a genre that tends to pride itself on non-comfority.

I don't think black metal prides itself on non-conformity at all; quite the opposite - I think conforming to certain aspects is fairly central to black metal. The corpsepaint is typical in that regard.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:49 pm 

When I go to a show first and foremost is great music and performances, however I love an over the top show. A spectacle. One doesn't have to preclude the other.

Seeing King Diamond live with the whole theatrical setup was amazing. Add in killer performances and those shows were very memorable. But you can have some guys in jeans and t-shirts put on an intense energetic show and its also memorable, I'm thinking of the times I've seen Power Trip.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:05 pm 

Someone mentioned about not trying to be ashamed or hide that they are a metalhead. Let me be clear and say that i'm not either. I'd say 95% of the time I have on a band shirt, I have long hair, not a crazy viking beard but I have a beard. Im by no means trying to say people should hide their metal pride. However lets be real im 31, going out on the town with my Butchered at Birth shirt and watching the single moms shield their young kids eyes doesnt make me feel cool, Im much more proud to wear my black and white Deeds of Flesh shirt with nothing but the logo and record label on it.

I remember seeing Fleshgod Apocalypse live and just thought the whole thing was ridiculous, especially the keyboardist trying to look evil. Its like no offense dude but relax over their dude. On the flipside I was fortunate enough to see Frank Mullen's last show. Nothing fake about it. They all were dressed normal, their to play some great tunes, have fun with the crowd, banter along, and generally just vibe together as a cohesive unit.

As for Lyrics, i'll take the well thought out Tucker era Morbid Angel lyrics over senseless gore any day. I'm not hating that metal has some of the aesthetics it has, I just hate that IMO most people know metal more for the aesthetic than for their great music. Also from my experience alot of the metal guys are small, computer nerd, type guys, not exactly the most physically imposing and destructive people you'll encounter, sometimes it comes off alittle bit looking like a "little mans syndrome".

Vikingligrveldi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:09 pm 

I would say the thing that annoys me more is when they are in the band picture and every member is wearing either their own band shirt or all black t-shirts. I feel like a band should wear other band's shirts in their photo.

~Guest 94579
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:39 pm 

I like everything Eric Peterson's Dragonlord has put out. However, the black metal visual aesthetic always seemed pasted on to me (and somewhat comical in photos from the most recent album). The debut's pics showed the band as just a bunch of guys, which I think worked better overall, and seemed more genuine.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next