Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:45 pm 

Spoiler: show
JUNE 16, 2021 – Portland, Oregon’s Unto Others have announced their signing to Roadrunner Records and shared a brand-new single, “When Will Gods Work Be Done.” Available today on all streaming platforms, “When Will Gods Work be Done” is joined by an official music video directed by Brock Grossl, which premiered today via Decibel Magazine alongside a Q&A with Unto Others’ vocalist / guitarist Gabriel Franco.

HERE: https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2021/06 ... k-be-done/

Commenting on the new release and news of the signing, Franco remarked “Our last full length came out over two years ago and much has changed, including the band and I, our name, etc... so I consider this a reintroduction of ‘us’ to those who connected with our music in the past, as well as a debut for the many who haven't. We did our best, and that's all we can do. So out of the frying pan, and into the fire, I think we have all been frying long enough."

Roadrunner Records SVP of A&R Dave Rath added, “Having Unto Others join us at Roadrunner Records feels like a ‘welcome home’ to a family member we’ve been waiting for - for a very long time. Unto Others’ innovative combination of goth, rock and metal brings the genre to entirely new and unique places. They are pushing the genre beyond the expected to create a blend of heavy, dark, melodic songs combined with traditional metal we haven’t heard in quite some time. We are incredibly excited for this band to be part of the label’s storied legacy.”

Comprised of Gabriel Franco (Vocals / Guitar), Brandon Hill (Bass), Sebastian Silva (Guitar), and Colin Vranizan (Drums), Unto Others formed in Portland, OR in 2017 and quickly made waves out of the Pacific Northwest under their previous band name Idle Hands. Following 2018’s Don’t Waste Your Time EP, they released their debut full-length album Mana in 2019 to widespread acclaim. Citing their harmonious marriage of goth rock and traditional heavy metal, Stereogum named Unto Others one of the “40 Best New Bands of 2019” noting, “In an alternate reality where the ‘80s dalliance with both genres took hold into future decades, nearly every song on the band’s debut would be a hit.” The impact of Mana was immediate earning “Best of 2019” album accolades from Metal Hammer, Decibel Magazine, Invisible Oranges, Treble, Stereogum and Heavy Consequence with the latter observing, “Franco sounds more like Robert Smith than he does Bruce Dickinson, even though one can hear The Cure and Iron Maiden both in his band’s sound.” Unto Others joined King Diamond on a sold-out coast-to-coast tour across North America in support of Mana and returned in 2020 with the surprise release of Don’t Waste Your Time II.

Next up, Unto Others will join BEHEMOTH!, Arch Enemy, and Carcass for a massive European fall tour, kicking off September 28th in Dublin, Ireland and running for six weeks through November 7 at Rockefeller in Oslo, Norway [itinerary below]. For tickets and more information on Unto Others’ upcoming live dates, visit http://www.untoothers.us.

New song:
https://youtu.be/G6on1U8imwo

The new song sounds great, I love how post-punky it sounds, but the delivery of the vocals is kinda weird at times, I dig it though. Looking forward to a new album, Mana was a great album!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:13 pm 

I've got the feeling I've heard this one before...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:19 pm 

I actually enjoyed that quite a bit. I enjoyed Mana for the most part but I wouldn't mind them going heavier and heavier. If they ended up making something along the lines of Zoon by Nephilim then I'd be all-in.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 pm 

I already wrote about the song in the Most Anticipated Albums thread, but this is easily one of if not the heaviest songs they've ever written. I recall an interview I listened to with Gabe where he mentioned the new material he was writing had a lot of thrash/speed metal influence alongside the goth/post-punk, so I imagine the new album is going to be much heavier than Mana.

Also, signing with Roadrunner is the most random thing they could've possibly done. I'm really surprised they picked that label and not one of Nuclear Blast/Metal Blade/Season of Mist/Century Media etc. Considering how irrelevant they are when it comes to most of the music discussed in this forum, it's a definite surprise that they were even scouting a band like this. Given that Slipknot is leaving them after their new album is out, I'm of half a mind that they're planning on pivoting back to signing proper metal bands again (considering they only really have Gojira and Trivium that fit that criteria), but I really doubt that's the case.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:13 am 

This song is absolutely awesome. The bass guitar is dominant. The drum play is versatile. The breaks make the song quite unique. The overall sound is rather heavy. I have listened to the song half a dozen times already. I hope Unto Others will soon be added to the archives under their new name.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 am 

The song gets an A+ from me. The harsher vocals feel better integrated this time around, as opposed to Mana where it sometimes felt like those moments were thrown in as an afterthought. The prechorus is unique but works well, and the hook is catchy yet thought-provoking. As mentioned above, I really liked the direction the song takes in the final minute as well. Mana was enjoyable even with its shortcomings, but this song is definitely a winner.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:14 am 

I've gotta hear it a couple more times. I really like the kind of bizarre part at the end.

As someone that absolutely loved the debut, and really digs both the EP and the Single, this song kind of sounded like a band making fun of Idle Hands to me.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm 

Gabe Franco's vocals always had a cheesy quality to them - which I didn't really mind in the past as I think it comes with the genre, but he's taking it to new levels on this one. Gotta agree with jimbies, this sounds like satire.

UHGH!

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:04 pm 

The successors to Killing Joke?

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 pm 

Atmospheric and gothic, with a bit of that "Vision Thing"-era Sisters swagger thrown in.
Love it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Gabe Franco's vocals always had a cheesy quality to them - which I didn't really mind in the past as I think it comes with the genre, but he's taking it to new levels on this one. Gotta agree with jimbies, this sounds like satire.

UHGH!

Agreed, I couldn't stand Mana because of the vocals and it sounds like this is going to be more of that. The music is so good, just take a step back and let the riffs breathe, dude!

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:08 am 

Rodman wrote:
The successors to Killing Joke?

Yeah, and Machine Head are the successors to Black Sabbath.

Killing Joke are legends. This was embarrassingly bad.
I could enjoy Mana in all it's cheese to a degree, but this was just badly written and soulless fondue.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:52 am 

Love how controversial this band is. Love the band, think the song is pretty good but not as strong as upper-tier tracks on the EP and the predecessor.

The thrashier ending came as a surprise.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:58 am 

Don't mistake bad for controversial.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:49 am 

matras wrote:
Don't mistake bad for controversial.

There are plenty of people who think that this is also good so it is by literal definition controversial.

It's a pretty decent song, not grabbing me the way that Mana did but it looks to be a grower. Also not too surprised about them signing to a major label, more surprised that it's RoadRunner than anything else. I've always known they were gonna get big and I hope it works out for them.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:45 am 

Yeah, I dig it. I loved Mana, probably my favourite album of the year. Looking forward to hearing more.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:02 pm 

This band was a weird case for me where I liked Mana just fine, even played it a lot when it came out - but then everyone else just seemed to like it a fuckload more than I did; I wouldn't have called it album of the year or anything. But it was good. New song sounds pretty cool. I think the meatier sound suits them.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:26 pm 

I used to be on the Idle Hands/Unto Others train.

I still am, but I used to be, too.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This band was a weird case for me where I liked Mana just fine, even played it a lot when it came out - but then everyone else just seemed to like it a fuckload more than I did; I wouldn't have called it album of the year or anything. But it was good. New song sounds pretty cool. I think the meatier sound suits them.

For me personally, it was just right up my alley. I love me some "trad" metal and I love me some gothic rock - "Mana" combined both of those things perfectly. It might be one of the purest examples of gothic metal I can think of, in all honesty.

It's safe to say I'm stoked for their next full length.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:54 pm 

It's another case like a lot of new trad metal stuff, where I just end up playing the original bands in the style more often than the newer ones. But Idle Hands is actually creative and I'm curious if they'll keep experimenting like they did on the debut here and there.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:52 am 

They released another single today:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:04 am 

Hrm...don't know about this one. Sounds a little messy. Like, something about the rhythm guitar sounds so incongruous with the rest of the tune. Maybe it's too high in the mix or something.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:10 am 

Damn, these guys are nailing it. That song sounded like a more refined version of something from Mana - even got some 80s hard rock vibes during the bridge. I also liked “When Will Gods Work Be Done” when I first heard it, and since then it’s become one of my favorite Unto Others songs. It is interesting though that they’ve released two singles now and yet we still don’t have a new album announcement.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:30 am 

SOmeone mentioned this before when the band was still called Idle Hands, but does anyone else get a The Silent Enigma-vibe from the harsher vocals? They're pretty cool. Helps that the song actually has some cool stuff going on, too, although I have a hard time explaining why this works for me - Idle Hands on the other hand left me cold, so who knows how this album will turn out.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:56 pm 

This is really fucking good.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:45 pm 

Any other links to the new song? Link posted a few posts ago is dead.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:21 pm 

The song ''Downtown'' is now on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7FMazZdrzvNM2NsKSqi6Lg

The upcoming album seems to be titled Strength.

The song sounds good upon first impression but I will give it repeated tries over the next few days.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:24 am 

kluseba wrote:
The song ''Downtown'' is now on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7FMazZdrzvNM2NsKSqi6Lg

The upcoming album seems to be titled Strength.

The song sounds good upon first impression but I will give it repeated tries over the next few days.

Was just about to post this. Song sounds okay on first listen, doesn't really strike me as good as the first one, but maybe it'll be stronger after repeated listens or in the context of the album.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:43 am 

STRENGTH TRACKLISTING
1. Heroin
2. Downtown
3. When Will Gods Work Be Done
4. No Children Laughing Now
5. Destiny
6. Little Bird
7. Why
8. Just a Matter of Time
9. Hell is For Children
10. Summer Lightning
11. Instinct
12. Strength

Cool song titles.

"Downtown" sounds good too. Very different from that first single. Should be an interesting album at this rate. I do like that they definitely have their own style.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=36 ... 2707938131

Liking the cover too, this should be cool. It's funny that the first one came out in 2019; with everything that's been going on it feels like it's been like five fucking years since that.

Last edited by Empyreal on Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:47 am 

Hell yeah, just preordered.
"Mana" was easily my favorite album of 2019, in any genre.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:05 am 

colin040 wrote:
SOmeone mentioned this before when the band was still called Idle Hands, but does anyone else get a The Silent Enigma-vibe from the harsher vocals? They're pretty cool. Helps that the song actually has some cool stuff going on, too, although I have a hard time explaining why this works for me - Idle Hands on the other hand left me cold, so who knows how this album will turn out.

I believe that was me. I've always gotten a lot of those vibes from them. I like this single way more than the first one, and now I am really excited for this. Mana still gets tons of plays from me.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:58 pm 

Amazing to think this is the same bunch of musicians behind Silver Talon. Definitely not one trick ponies, are they?

Last edited by traxan on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:34 am 

Assuming you mean Silver Talon, they only share one member now. But yeah, Gabe and Sebastian are extremely talented musicians, especially considering the first Idle Hands EP came out when they were barely drinking age.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:47 pm 

Gah thanks for the correction.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 pm 

Silver Talon are cool.
Saw them open up for Exmortus, and while Exmortus were fun, I preferred Silver Talon - they deserve more success than they seem to have gotten (they should be at least as popular as Unto Others imo).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:09 pm 

Wrong forum!

It's nice to hear that Yngwie's vocals has gotten better though.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:40 pm 

That first song is pretty solid, but I really like the end section with the double bass,

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:44 pm 

Vocals ruin this band for me.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:06 pm 

Silver Talon's debut EP didn't do anything for me, but the album they just released is good (if a bit overlong). Idle Hands is still the better act, for me, but I'm excited to see where both bands go.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:47 pm 

Silver Talon and Unto Others are both spin-offs from the band Spellcaster, whose breakup seems to have become a nexus event for 2020s metal.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next