* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:01 pm 

TheLoneForest wrote:
All of them except the debut are equally terrible

EDIT: Attilla on the debut kinda sucks, the Dead versions are much better. Makes me wish there was this album's production with him on vocals

This. He sounds like he is yawning in frustration. But Grand Declaration of Bore is definitely the worst.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:55 am 

Esoteric Warfare is their weakest in my opinion. I NEVER listen to that record. I feel the album was a little to guided by earlier Mayhem releases. Other than that they pretty much only have good albums. Deathcrush would be the other one, if I had to pick one.

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:11 am 

Gotta be Esoteric Warfare, the riffing style doesn't click with me and ends up feeling quite repetitive. Overall a flat experience.

~Guest 94579
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:17 am 

Esoteric Warfare for sure. It's like a less-memorable version of Ordo ad Chao.

CrudeNoiseMonger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:52 am 

Grand Declaration of War with the original production.

Megatokyo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:19 pm 

Estoeric Warfare. Too boring.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:47 pm 

My least favourite of the full length studio albums is Esoteric Warfare. I sometimes return to it because the concept intrigues me but it generally feels uninspired and boring to me. If we are including the EP's I don't really like Deathcrush at all.

Every other full length ranges from good to awesome in my book. For me Mayhem has one of the most solid discographies of the black metal scene.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:18 pm 

My fav BM band. It's difficult to choose one, because they're all very unique. The hardest to get into was Ordo Ad Chao, but even this one has Illuminate Eliminate which is one of their greatest songs ever. But yeah its the one ive listened to the less. I recall spinning the hell out Chimera, Daemon and of course the classic DMDS which is number 1 BM album of all time. Regarding Grand Declaration of War i enjoyed it a lot and still do. Specially the remaster they released in 2018 via Season of Mist. It was so disruptive and provocative, i loved not only how raw it was but also how it made BM purists mad af.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:30 pm 

GRAND DECLARATION OF WAR, because I TRIED to like it, but it's just pretentious twaddle!

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:52 am 

I love Deathcrush, Ordo Ad Chao and De Mysteriis, Whore on Chimera is excellent and drags the album into my "loved" category

Daemon and GDOW are fine, but nothing I come back to all that often

Esoteric Warfare is terrible, I haven't listened to it since at least before the pandemic and don't plan on revisiting anytime soon.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:45 am 

I'd say Grand Declaration of War takes this one. It really isn't that great or memorable, but I do like how it seems to evoke a negative reaction out of people, whether it be online or in public. I think it is still a respectable piece of art if it can get that kind of emotion from the listeners.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:33 pm 

Personally I can't stand how bland Ordo Ad Chao is.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:54 am 

I think it's pretty cool to see how views differ a lot on this band. Sure, there are some albums that are more frequent when the board lists their least favourites but I feel its less clean cut than with most bands. I think its a sign of the albums being quite different from each other and thus appealing in different ways to different people.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:45 am 

I don't get the animosity against Ordo Ad Chao. I think it's great, very dark, dense and atmospheric.

Mayhem is one of my favourite bands so I like pretty much everything they do. My least favourite album would be Grand Declaration of War. I just don't enjoy it that much, it's nowhere near my top choices when I want to listen to Mayhem.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:48 am 

The_Carcass wrote:
I don't get the animosity against Ordo Ad Chao. I think it's great, very dark, dense and atmospheric.

I love it as well but I do understand why its not among the top albums. I would describe it as difficult both in regards of production and in regards to songwriting.
Ad hominem

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:30 am 

InnesI wrote:
The_Carcass wrote:

I love it as well but I do understand why its not among the top albums. I would describe it as difficult both in regards of production and in regards to songwriting.

That's true

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2