Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:15 pm 

American progressive metal band Sculptured will release their first album in 13 years, The Liminal Phase, on August 27 through BMG.

The Order of Undecidability has been released as the first single:

Spoiler: show

Based on the interview Decibel did with Don Anderson, they're moving away from the atonality of Embodiment on the new record. The track sounds pretty good and I'm excited to hear what the rest of the album has in store.

The interview with Don Anderson can be found here:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2021/06/23/sculptured-release-first-new-music-in-13-years-announce-the-liminal-phase-lp

Last edited by Kalaratri on Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:59 pm 

Oh man I used to listen to Embodiment a lot when it came out, the drumming on that one was wild. The new single sounds pretty good, I'm on board with this.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:04 pm 

Wild! I just assumed this project was dead. Song is pretty interesting, I wish the vocals weren't so high up in the mix. Also, how the hell did they score a deal with BMG?? They're one of the biggest record labels in the world, and this is extremely outsider music. The last "metal" album BMG released was the latest Alice in Chains in 2018.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:07 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Wild! I just assumed this project was dead. Song is pretty interesting, I wish the vocals weren't so high up in the mix. Also, how the hell did they score a deal with BMG?? They're one of the biggest record labels in the world, and this is extremely outsider music. The last "metal" album BMG released was the latest Alice in Chains in 2018.

They were/are signed to The End Records, which was acquired by BMG Rights Management in 2016.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:20 pm 

Weird. I used to run into Don regularly around Seattle and he told me more than once how much he hates The End. Must have still been locked into a contract with them.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:44 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Weird. I used to run into Don regularly around Seattle and he told me more than once how much he hates The End. Must have still been locked into a contract with them.

Must be something like that. Of all bands to have on a label like BMG, Sculptured is a weird one and so underground - so there must be an unfulfilled contract of sorts.

As for this tune, I dig it! Seems quite different from what I remember of Sculptured in the past (I'll have to revisit the other albums), but it's catchy and quite unique. Really interested to hear the rest of the record. With Khorada and Pillorian breaking up after 1 album, maybe Sculptured and John's solo material will be the true projects that continue on after Agalloch. I'm down for that.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:19 pm 

That mix is just ... bizarre, that might be a dealbreaker for me with this one.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 pm 

I'm not going to lie, this new song doesn't sound good. Lifeless and stiff.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:53 pm 

I liked Sculptured's first album, but other than that, I've had a hard time really getting into their music. Anderson's work with Agalloch was truly outstanding. And with Khôrada, even though it was not quite on par with Agalloch, his style was still very recognizable. But with Sculptured, I don't really hear it. I know it's good music, but I keep listening to Sculptured hoping for something else. This is probably on me, but I still feel a little disapointed that this doesn't sound more like the guitar parts he wrote for Agalloch.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:43 am 

Well, that is a nice surprise. Fashioned by Blood and Tears will always be one of my favourite songs. Looking forward what they bring to the new album.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:20 am 

Boy I just hate how this sounds. Everything sounds like it’s underwater except for the vocals which sit on top of the mix. The singing sounds like it would not be out of place in The Postal Service or some indie rock band from the mid 00’s. Really didn’t feel like it comes together at all. Disappointed.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:14 pm 

Really not into those vocals.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:05 pm 

The muddy production was because of an error in the video upload. That resulted in it being compressed into mono.

The fixed version sounds much better, mix wise.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:21 pm 

New upload that's not screwed up. Mix sounds way better.

Second listen - still dig it.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:13 am 

Ok that’s way better… still the style of the vocals just contrast too much for me.

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:24 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
I liked Sculptured's first album, but other than that, I've had a hard time really getting into their music. Anderson's work with Agalloch was truly outstanding. And with Khôrada, even though it was not quite on par with Agalloch, his style was still very recognizable. But with Sculptured, I don't really hear it. I know it's good music, but I keep listening to Sculptured hoping for something else. This is probably on me, but I still feel a little disapointed that this doesn't sound more like the guitar parts he wrote for Agalloch.

I really think it must have been to due to the interplay of John and Don. I remember Don saying that they approached guitar playing very differently, with him being classically trained and John doing things more by feel. Combine the two and it's magic.

Reply to topic