Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
overkill1978
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:03 am 

It was either Deicide Legion or Cannibal Corpse Tomb of the Mutilated. Cant remember which was first but.... I know it was sometime in 1992. Both of them seemed funny to me at the time. I love both albums now. I grew up with thrash in the mid-late 80s.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 am 

Bolt Throwers 'realm of chaos'. the first track when he's narrating "On countless worlds, the earth shakes
as the forces of chaos strive to gain control...." scared the bejesus out of me
then soon after back-tracking Sepulturas intro on Schizophrenia , when he says the title , that made me run out of the room lol! i think i thought i had invoked Satan to my bedroom

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:11 am 

Louis Armstrong
Patti Smith
Lemmy
Linda Blair in the Exorcist
Wendy O Williams
Cronos
Jackyl (YDI)
John Brannon
Peter Steele

I’d also heard bands like Lethal Aggression and Kreator prior to death metal

sometime in 1988 I heard both Napalm Death’s Scum and Sepultura’s Schizophrenia which were the first death metal style vocals I discovered. Before that I’d say Peter Steele had the most intense voice I’d heard on a record that I could like buy at a mall record store.

I recall being freaked out when I saw the Exorcist but by the time I’d heard that style on albums I was not very shocked.

I’d also need to add Henry Rollins. In Black Flag he was pretty intense but that first a Rollins Band album “life time” from the opening screams you knew you were in for sone real intense shit.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:08 am 

I remember it well. I just found out about death metal and my friend and I at the time were right into Deicide and we wanted to cut pentagrams into ourselves like Glen Benton, Lol. I would leave my computer on in the morning and just listen to Stench of Redemption and Serpents of The Light, along with the live album (one of the best live albums I have heard). I had to force myself to do it but I ended up liking it.

Lilac Seafoam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:53 pm 

I grew up on internet metal discussion, so conceptually harsh vocals were not a surprise. The incumbent listening experience is of course, that after you're sucked in by the likes of Iron Maiden and Metallica, you must listen to Altars of Madness until you like it.

It was always something that I'd "get into eventually." Then I did. By listening to Altars of Madness until I liked it.

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 am 

I was never "scared" by Extreme Metal vocals. However, my first time hearing Chris Barnes voice on Tomb Of The Mutilated was mesmerizing, at that time, I thought he must've used a voice changer or something, I didn't think someone's voice could be that deep.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:51 am 

I actually didn't have too hard of a time with extreme vocals, as I was exposed to them gradually. To preface, I did NOT grow up on metal or anything similar, I got into this stuff by myself, and fairly recently. I first got into heavy music through nu-metal and hard rock bands, and many of these bands use the occasional scream or growl, especially ones like Slipknot. So I got somewhat used to more extreme vocals before I even started listening to actual metal.

Eventually I decided "hey, maybe I should try some real metal bands", so I immediately listened to From Mars To Sirius by Gojira. Hearing real metal vocals for the first time (and all the other metal elements, for that matter) was pretty jarring initially, but I was into it. I recall listening to "From the Sky", probably in my car, and being dumbfounded by the tremolo picking and groove. But in terms of vocals, it was a lot easier with Gojira, since their vocalist tends to scream with a melody. From there I tried all of the other popular bands like Lamb of God and Meshuggah, and my interest in the guitars was enough to keep me from being bothered by the vocals. Pretty soon after that point vocals stopped bothering me completely, so I could dive straight into the more extreme genres.

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:00 pm 

The one that did me in was Pete Steele on the Nativity in Black tribute to Sabbath. They covered the song Black Sabbath - and Pete sounded downright evil.

From a more extreme perspective, I understand he’s controversial, but Atilla
on DMDS was a wtf moment for me when I first heard it. Found it very creepy. Especially on Funeral Fog.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:07 pm 

I will now be controversial and say DMDS wouldn't be what it is without Atilla - his weird fucking vocals add to the creepy atmosphere of that album. I will die on this hill, dammit.

Anyway, I'd say Lord Worm on those first couple Cryptopsy albums is the first time I felt truly unsettled by an extreme metal vocalist. The dude sounded genuinely unhinged and like he was about to tear me apart with his bare teeth.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:14 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

MDB had a knack for creepy atmospheres and Stainthorpe's vocals could be unnerving - especially that old stuff. And The Sexuality of Bereavement too with the riffs and violins. Ugh.

That's definitely one of their all-time masterpieces. The darkness and atmosphere of that song are unrivaled.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am 

Can't remember the absolute first time, as when I was a teenager I usually limited myself within thrash and basically dismissed every band with growls after a few seconds. The only one that still makes me somewhat uncomfortable, though, is Dave Hunt of Anaal Nathrakh. Yet I keep coming back to their music because he's legitimately a beast, such a wide array of techniques (and the music is insane, as well). How he manages to scream his heart out like that and not tear his vocal cords apart is a complete mystery to me.

Curiously enough, though, if I ever had to imagine Satan's voice I think I'd go with Pat Lind from Morbid Saint. Not the scariest all around, but surely one of the most outright venomous voices I recall. Reverb and all included, naturally.

It's the dawn of descending...

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:24 am 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
Can't remember the absolute first time, as when I was a teenager I usually limited myself within thrash and basically dismissed every band with growls after a few seconds. The only one that still makes me somewhat uncomfortable, though, is Dave Hunt of Anaal Nathrakh. Yet I keep coming back to their music because he's legitimately a beast, such a wide array of techniques (and the music is insane, as well). How he manages to scream his heart out like that and not tear his vocal cords apart is a complete mystery to me.

Curiously enough, though, if I ever had to imagine Satan's voice I think I'd go with Pat Lind from Morbid Saint. Not the scariest all around, but surely one of the most outright venomous voices I recall. Reverb and all included, naturally.

I'm on the same boat. I love Anaal Nathrakh, but I can't listen to too much of their music at a time before I start getting a weird feeling in my stomach. That stuff is intense.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:43 pm 

TheBurningOfSodom wrote:
The only one that still makes me somewhat uncomfortable, though, is Dave Hunt of Anaal Nathrakh. Yet I keep coming back to their music because he's legitimately a beast, such a wide array of techniques (and the music is insane, as well). How he manages to scream his heart out like that and not tear his vocal cords apart is a complete mystery to me.

I second this, but not because his singing is particularly scary in itself. It's just impressive for me, and at times sounds really depraved.

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I'm on the same boat. I love Anaal Nathrakh, but I can't listen to too much of their music at a time before I start getting a weird feeling in my stomach. That stuff is intense.

It doesn't help that the majority of the stuff they cover lyrically is depressing. The music and themes are perfectly merged with that band.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:41 am 

I wasn't scared the first time I heard extreme vocals, I just didn't know what to make of it. I was about 13 and I heard Cannibal Corpse's Bloody Chunks for the first time and all I could do was laugh. At the time I was thinking 'this dude sounds like the Sasquatch! He's not even singing! Wtf even is this?'

Now I'm a huge CC fan and Eaten Back to Life is one of my favourite records by them.

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:15 am 

How could anyone be scared by harsh vox is a bit beyond me...
My first exposure to the more extreme genres in metal was probably by Nachtblut?( I know they’re not a very extreme band but they are huge here in China ) My first thought on hearing “Antik” was “interesting keyboard intro but wtf happened to the vocal’s voice?”
I had a bit of a poser-phase back then, seeing as I was just starting to listen to metal. And I thought “this is sooo cool I want more” lol. That first half year was about the only time when I’d focused on extreme metal. Then I found my true love power metal when the COVID struck. Now I only stray back occasionally for fun and when I want a bit of change from the generally operatic power vocals. I still refer to Behemoth as my fond childhood memories lol

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:01 pm 

draconiondevil wrote:
I wasn't scared the first time I heard extreme vocals, I just didn't know what to make of it. I was about 13 and I heard Cannibal Corpse's Bloody Chunks for the first time and all I could do was laugh. At the time I was thinking 'this dude sounds like the Sasquatch! He's not even singing! Wtf even is this?'

Laughter seems to be the outcome every time I play songs with harsh vocals to the non-metal fans amongst my friends and family.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3